• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

MNC said:
What the fuck, november for germany. What does this mean for the Netherlands?!?!!?
Hopefully not much considering Germany tends to refuse showing movies in their original language. I take it dubbing takes more time than subtitling.

Jon

This thread has 26 pages? I saw the trailer for this yesterday and it looks like one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. Of course Michael Cera would tie himself to this, lest he leave his comfort zone for some other role.

Mr. Sam

Just caught the trailer for this. Dunno how I dodged it for this long. Looks pretty great. I'm hyped.

Hopefully it won't disappoint me like Kick-Ass did. Plus, this won't have an awesome Nic Cage performance to fall back on.

Danielsan

Jon said:
This thread has 26 pages? I saw the trailer for this yesterday and it looks like one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. Of course Michael Cera would tie himself to this, lest he leave his comfort zone for some other role.
Have you read the comics?
If not, take a hike.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Jon said:

Everyone in this thread has terrible taste and is going insane for the worst movie since Elektra. Yeah, I don't understand it either. I have no idea what this Scott Pilgrim thing is and couldn't be bothered to look it up on the Internet.

Jon

I know it is a comic...I know. So for people who read the comics and are really excited, that's cool. I'm just saying, for someone who hasn't read them, it just comes off as a very weird idea. Not something as easily digestible as Iron Man or something like that. It has a good cast, but I think this movie will only appeal to fans.

My apologies for offending fans, and I deserve the quick burst of rage. :lol

Jon said:
I know it is a comic...I know. So for people who read the comics and are really excited, that's cool. I'm just saying, for someone who hasn't read them, it just comes off as a very weird idea. Not something as easily digestible as Iron Man or something like that. It has a good cast, but I think this movie will only appeal to fans.

I wouldn't feel bad, most people who haven't read the comic are going to feel very similar. The TV spots so far have been awful and I don't really see this doing well at all. The movie is going to be a hard sell, and I doubt it will even do as well as Kick Ass with it's awkward marketing so far.

The attitude of "haven't read the comics? WTF GET OUT" is basically why the movie is going to fail, since it has such a narrow appeal.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So do you think movies should be based off something recognizable? It does look a little crazy but I bet it'll do okay in the box office.

sazabirules said:
No one ever said it was.

Apparently it is since it's been said in this thread already for people to "get out" or that they don't get it, if they are not part of the little club that has read the books.

Do you think the producers of the movie want only those who have read the comics to want to see this movie?

Chavelo

Jon said:

DEM FIGHTING WORDS...

YOU AND ME, GOOD SIR. AT DAWN, DOWN BY THE DOCK.

BRING YOUR BEST MAGNUM. WE DUEL!

Serious pants: Nah, from what I have heard from friends (who didn't know about Scott Pilgrim until I showed them the trailer) they're pretty stocked about this movie... I guess it's just not for the comic book's fans, but mostly for the geek culture?

Heck, maybe it might get bigger than that. :-D

Konosuke

I haven't read the comics. The movie looks so random and crazy. That's the appeal for me. Besides the videogame references it does which look interesting.
The movie looks like No More Heroes in some parts :lol It just looks different and funny. And that makes it awesome.
And Cera, while playing a 'nerdy guy' again, actually isn't. Judging by the trailer he can fight, does stupid things to get girls and has a rock band.
Unlike other movies he isn't feeling sorry for himself about how his life sucks and how he can't get a girl.
All my other friends who didn't read the comics are also pretty hyped.

I've shown the trailer to enough people now who enjoyed it with no prior knowledge. Weirdly, telling people 'It's the guy who did Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz!' doesn't seem to inspire interest, yet the wackyballs trailer does. Also everyone loves the L word scene :p

Iceman

I've never read the comic strip either. I only know of the concept from the threads that pop up once in a while about the books here on neogaf.

I was immediately interested in the movie when Edgar Wright was attached. And Mikey Cera's involvement sealed the deal (omigosh, my seal deal!) - to me, it assured me that they were going for mass appeal/veteran acting.

My current assessment: This movie looks dope based on the trailers alone. It's this mish-mash of video game references, fighting/survival and angsty tween love story that seems to be aimed specifically at genX and Y. This concept of aimless loser discovering himself through over the top trials and obstacles is a pretty timeless and tested formula, and it looks like this story is willing to get really creative with that formula.

I can't not see it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Jon said:

I completely understand and acknowledge your feelings are the most correct statement made in this thread. I've gone to the movies fairly regularly for the past 3 weeks and every time a SP trailer has played it's met with groaning, "what the hell is this?", and Cera sucks comments. Yea yea I know anecdotal evidence, whatever. Doesn't change the fact those comments came from people who weren't influenced by it's comic book factor or the crazed fans that froth at the mouth for this shit.

The movie will do good enough. That's about it. Teeny boppers (why the hell am i using this term?) will flock to it because of the "Juno effect" and for the shiny/bright trailers (people love colorful things). Fans will bemoan any sort of "popularity" and merchandising (while simultaneously buying everything they find and treating it as their precious) they see in hot topic.

Adults will squirm in their seats as the 90th sonic the hedgehog reference is made and check their phones praying to god a loved one has died so they can leave the theater (the twilight effect).

Otherwise have fun!

feel

Jon said:

I had never even heard of Scott Pilgrim before this thread, and I'm very hyped for the movie based on the trailers/clips alone.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
animlboogy said:
I'm really missing what the hell Cera did to you people, and what exactly his comfort zone is.

Is he hated because he looks goofy? Is it because he reminds people of themselves, instead of being some slick movie star type?

He was GEORGE FUCKING MICHAEL. How could he not have a lifetime pass off that?

-His comfort zone is acting like he's still George Michael (but then having a hissy fit when he's asked to reprise the only role people care to remember he's done).

-He doesn't act goofy. I'm fairly certain that the director as lithium poured into his coffee before shoots which gives his eyes that odd bemused slant and they feed him his lines off a teleprompter.

-He doesn't remind me of myself. He would need to be a 6ft tall mexican kid with a thick beard.

-He doesn't get a lifetime past because at some point he has to stop relying on the same schtik. Plus see point 1.

way more

According to that last preview this movie has both the acting and fighting style of the Batman 1960 series. Maybe if this were Batman I would like it.

Jon said:

I've never read the comics, although I plan to now, but this movie looks awesome to me. :D

BJK

Inferno313 said:
I've never read the comics, although I plan to now, but this movie looks awesome to me. :D

I was the same way when the first trailer came out; now I'm 2 issues into the GNs, and I can't wait to find an excuse to get the 3rd. (I'm using the books as filler @ Amazon when I need to get over $25 for free shipping. And to those of you who've read the books already....no
, Ramona does not deliver them in person. Maybe I should move to Canada.
)

I don't know how large an audience this film is going to have....but I do know there are a lot of people my age who grew up with the games / themes being referenced in the film. I think it has a chance to be a real sleeper hit.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
TheFallen said:
Never read Scott Pilgrim stuff but the flick definitely looks fun. Edgar Wright's work on that new clip is astounding.
You really should give it a read. It's that good.

hamchan

So I just finished reading all the Scott Pilgrim comics released so far and now I realise why people were complaining about Michael Cera.

I like Michael Cera but from just this trailer he doesn't give off a Scott Pilgrim feel at all. Scott Pilgrim isn't some awkward guy. He may be geeky, stupid and lazy but he gives off a feeling of awesomeness. Like, you can see why all the chicks are attracted to him. I'll definitely see the film but I won't be expecting Scott Pilgrim to be the same character.

Dresden

hamchan said:
So I just finished reading all the Scott Pilgrim comics released so far and now I realise why people were complaining about Michael Cera.

I like Michael Cera but from just this trailer he doesn't give off a Scott Pilgrim feel at all. Scott Pilgrim isn't some awkward guy. He may be geeky, stupid and lazy but he gives off a feeling of awesomeness. Like, you can see why all the chicks are attracted to him. I'll definitely see the film but I won't be expecting Scott Pilgrim to be the same character.
I felt the same way, but after watching the trailers about a dozen times each, I'm completely sold on Cera. Being obsessively enthusiastic about the film helps.

DaMan121

hamchan said:

Really? So is the "she is out of your league" line an addition not in the comics?

Danielsan

DaMan121 said:
Really? So is the "she is out of your league" line an addition not in the comics?
I believe so.
In the comics Scott gets warned to stay away from Ramona because they all know his reputation with the ladies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Danielsan said:
I believe so.
In the comics Scott gets warned to stay away from Ramona because they all know his reputation with the ladies.

I don't think he has a reputation, Going by how i viewed it, all the girls wanted him (but he sometimes never noticed) and it was the girls who broke his heart.

I do agree that cera doesn't fit after having just read the books. Something is off and it's hard to put my finger on it.

Ashhong

i dont know how many times people have to be told by other that have actually seen the movie to just have faith and wait for more than 1 minute clips before judging cera. if you think "something is just a little off that i cant figure out", then there is probably a good chance the actual movie will surprise you.

Ashhong

Jangaroo said:
We've said this so many times. I feel like a broken record.

its like we need separate threads for the newbies and the people that have read it. i never expected it to be such a hard sell to a gaming crowd. all of my non-gamer friends think it look ridiculously awesome and asked me where its from

Kritz

Banned
Seeing the GAF love for Scott Pilgrim, I bought the first 5 series and am waiting for them to be delivered. This will be the first set of comics I have ever read, ever, so it'll be interesting to see what I make of it.

And it'll be interesting to see if I become a cynical bastard about this movie after reading the source material, or if I'll run around jizzing myself upon each trailer release.

Ashhong

Kritz said:
Seeing the GAF love for Scott Pilgrim, I bought the first 5 series and am waiting for them to be delivered. This will be the first set of comics I have ever read, ever, so it'll be interesting to see what I make of it.

And it'll be interesting to see if I become a cynical bastard about this movie after reading the source material, or if I'll run around jizzing myself upon each trailer release.

as someone who was also new to comics with SP...prepare urself for all black and white (if you arent already). it was so hard for me to figure out what girl was who since they all looked so similar :lol

Jintor

It's weird; for about a week after first buying it, I was physically incapable of identifying who was who because O'Malley's art-style is so samey. Then it just clicked and it was ridiculously easy to tell.

Everybody in this thread who's hatin', just be hatin'. Even if you hate comic books or whatever, Edgar Wright. Edgar Shaun of the Dead Hot Fuzz Wright.

/edit So your anecdotal evidence is that everybody who's never heard of the comic before hates it? My anecdotal evidence says the complete opposite. So what's up with that eh?

derFeef

What bothers me a bit, I did not like the action scenes in Hot Fuzz. It was cut a bit too fast with weird angles, there was no smooth transition. I hope this is better here.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
derFeef said:
What bothers me a bit, I did not like the action scenes in Hot Fuzz. It was cut a bit too fast with weird angles, there was no smooth transition. I hope this is better here.
First time I hear someone isn't into Wright's frantic camerawork but I can understand why you would feel you'd need smoother transitions. However, I still believe Edgar Wright is the only man for the job when it comes to this movie. The Scott Pilgrim universe is perfect for Wright's approach to film-making and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.

derFeef

AgentWhiskersX said:
First time I hear someone isn't into Wright's frantic camerawork but I can understand why you would feel you'd need smoother transitions. However, I still believe Edgar Wright is the only man for the job when it comes to this movie. The Scott Pilgrim universe is perfect for Wright's approach to film-making and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.
It´s weird I know. I love SOTD and HF, but there is just something off in the action scenes in HF. I am not afraid of frantic camerawork (loved Crank 1&2 and Gamer) so this is not the reason. And the clip with Scott fighting Lucas Lee was pretty awesome, no complain there.

wenis said:
The movie will do good enough. That's about it. Teeny boppers (why the hell am i using this term?) will flock to it because of the "Juno effect" and for the shiny/bright trailers (people love colorful things). Fans will bemoan any sort of "popularity" and merchandising (while simultaneously buying everything they find and treating it as their precious) they see in hot topic.

LTTP but this sentiment is such tired bullshit I yarked on my dinosaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom