• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeathbyVolcano said:
jesus christ, really? The way I envisioned Scott in the comics is almost beat-bfor-beat what Cera is doing.

you are kind of awful

edit: scott is dumb as fuck in the comics, are you serious?

He's dumb, but he's not Michael Cera deer-in-headlights dumb.

brianjones said:
i never pictured him to sound so wimpy/awkward but i guess that's all cera can pull off.

he's dumb and aloof but at the same time self-assured and confident in his aloofness.

Yes, this. I'd expect him to be louder than what Cera can deliver.

oatmeal

Banned
You guys need to stop judging it off these random scenes that just throw you in the middle of something.

Wait until you see it before you throw down Cera...he's really good in it.

oatmeal said:
You guys need to stop judging it off these random scenes that just throw you in the middle of something.

Wait until you see it before you throw down Cera...he's really good in it.

I doubt they'll be swayed. Cera is the Kinect of movies.

;D

.la1n

Saw an early screening, was very skeptical of Cera in the role at first (would have preferred someone like Emile Hirsch) but he pulled it off pretty well. As a fan of the comics I can say that the movie is worth checking out and will not let you down unless you are the most diehard of diehard comic faithful adaptation fans (and let's face it you will never be happy with any comic film anyway.)

way more

Dead said:
Jesse Eisenberg would have probably been better

I think if you're gonna be dumb you gotta be attractive. And I don't think Eisenberg can play dumb. In his best roles he's intelligent but emotionally unaware or timid. They should've just gotten some dumb but attractive teeny bopper. Nobody wants to laugh at a dumb weird looking guy. But a dumb mimbo? That's funny.

derFeef

Got my 6th book today, can not wait to read it. Maybe I´ll wait for December though since the movie comes out in January here. *cries*

Rorschach

I did picture a kind of whimpy voice, but a confident one... like a super confident spaz! :p When I first started reading the comics, I had no real voice attached to Scott, but after a while I noticed his voice was kinda like Greg Cipes to me. Somewhere between Beast Boy and his every day voice.

btw- anyone else read PA strips with Brian O'Halloran doing the voice for Tycho or is that just me?

[edit] Dead is joking... I think.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I doubt they'll be swayed. Cera is the Kinect of movies.

;D
I don't read the gaming threads, but what the hell is with you and Kinect? Seems you've got something riding on it or something...

I think Cera does a good voice for Scott in those animated clips. That helps give me confidence in his overall ability to portray the character well.

Michael Cera is awesome as Scott Pilgrim.

Please, do not have any doubt, it'll be less painful when you realize it upon viewing this little masterpiece.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Just got back from the SoHo Apple Store press event. Michael Cera was hilarious. He was also way taller than i thought. And Edgar Wright was shorter and chubbier. Wish they could've given us a screening but no luck.

Amir0x

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I just find the level of red-line hate for it to be highly amusing.

maybe if Kinect and Kinect software wasn't so amusingly atrocious people wouldn't mock it all the time

it should start by doing that, and then everything else will follow

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
AgentWhiskersX said:
Just got back from the SoHo Apple Store press event. Michael Cera was hilarious. He was also way taller than i thought. And Edgar Wright was shorter and chubbier. Wish they could've given us a screening but no luck.

So lucky, i wish i was there.

Amir0x said:
maybe if Kinect and Kinect software wasn't so amusingly atrocious people wouldn't mock it all the time

it should start by doing that, and then everything else will follow

Well, I like Dance Central, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Amir0x

Banned
you have fun with your one game then, as the rest of hardcore gamers assuredly mocks the decidedly un-hardcore product and its shamelessly cautious me-too shovelware/tardware, but you shouldn't act as if Kinect hasn't fucking earned every shred of mocking it has acquired. You'd have to be blind to think otherwise.

I know this isn't the thread for this, but I hate when people act like this thing should be shielded in some ultra protective post-Wii shield, wherein everything casual is merely reflexively being hated on by the hardcore with no reason.

People are hating on Kinect because its software is abysmal and its technology is laughable.

Amir0x said:
you have fun with your one game then, as the rest of hardcore game assuredly mocks the decidedly un-hardcore product and its shamelessly cautious me-too shovelware/tardware, but you shouldn't act as if Kinect hasn't fucking earned every shred of mocking it has acquired. You'd have to be blind to think otherwise.

I know this isn't the thread for this, but I hate when people act like this thing should be shielded in some ultra protective post-Wii shield, wherein everything casual is merely reflexively being hated on by the hardcore with no reason.

People are hating on Kinect because its software is abysmal and its technology is laughable.

I don't think it should be shielded from anything. I've gone on at length about how confined by the tech's limitations the launch is. Doesn't mean I'm not amused by watching people get like super frothed up about it.

Amir0x

Banned
well that's fine grab the popcorn and watch the frothing, but then you shouldn't let your posts betray your actual non-bullshit intentions then by trying to act like Kinect is some undeserving victim. Makes it too obvious

Amir0x said:
well that's fine grab the popcorn and watch the frothing, but then you shouldn't let your posts betray your actual non-bullshit intentions then by trying to act like Kinect is some undeserving victim. Makes it too obvious

I'm not bullshitting, Amir0x. I have no investment in Kinect's success, personal or emotional. I have way too much else on my plate, man, believe me.

Edit: Anyway, I'm not going to divert this thread any longer. Just wanted to clear my name.
:lol

jett

D-Member
oatmeal said:
I've yet to see this good 'acting'. He is a one trick pony, just like Cera.

I guess it won't matter what I post, but I really liked him in Roger Dodger. Whatever you may think of him he still shows much more range and acting ability than Cera.

jett said:
I guess it won't matter what I post, but I really liked him in Roger Dodger. Whatever you may think of him he still shows much more range and acting ability than Cera.

I think it's one note, but it's a softer note.

Just saw the trailer for this and have to chime in. Has Michael Cera ever not played a stammering loser? He's not even trying anymore.

I've yet to see this good 'acting'. He is a one trick pony, just like Cera.

Cera could never do something like The Squid And The Whale

jett said:

You can't even make that argument against Cera, because Cera's not TRYING to be a renown actor like fucking Day-Lewis. He picks roles that he's comfortable with and he knows he can be funny in. It's what comedic icons have been doing for almost a century. Stop trying to have something against Cera when Cera is just sticking to what he does well.

edit: oh good lord it's not even worth arguing. mehhhhhhhhhhhh acting chops mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jett

D-Member
DeathbyVolcano said:
You can't even make that argument against Cera, because Cera's not TRYING to be a renown actor like fucking Day-Lewis. He picks roles that he's comfortable with and he knows he can be funny in. It's what comedic icons have been doing for almost a century. Stop trying to have something against Cera when Cera is just sticking to what he does well.

edit: oh good lord it's not even worth arguing. mehhhhhhhhhhhh acting chops mehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:lol What kind of argument is this?

He's not even that funny, either.

Narag

DeathbyVolcano said:

This reminds me of the Nic Cage hate threads.

oatmeal

Banned
jett said:

I haven't seen that, so I guess I can't comment.

I have only seen him in a few of his more recent films like Zombieland/Adventureland...one other that I can't remember.

He's not terrible, and he's watchable, but when I watch him I just think he's a clone of Cera.

He looks good in The Social Network, though. Excited to see that :D

jett said:
:lol What kind of argument is this?

He's not even that funny, either.

well you continually prove that you're a shitfuck, so, you know

This reminds me of the Nic Cage hate threads.

How? :lol Nic Cage actually believes he's a good actor. Cera is just a comedian who acts in movies with his friends. Sounds like a fucking awesome career if you ask me.

oatmeal

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
well you continually prove that you're a shitfuck, so, you know

How? :lol Nic Cage actually believes he's a good actor. Cera is just a comedian who acts in movies with his friends. Sounds like a fucking awesome career if you ask me.

I remember when Cera's act was awesome...back in the Clark and Michael days, the George Michael days...

I don't hate him, I just know what I'm going to get when I see him...and he works in the roles he chooses.

Jintor

No, it's you haven't seen the goddamn movie yet.

Unless you have, then you can gripe all you like

(Personally, it's like hating Jackie Chan for only ever playing comic-relief kung-fu asians)

butter_stick said:
So the argument against people not liking Cera's portrayal of a character is "shut up, he's doing what he loves"?

It's more, "shut up, he's doing exactly what people know and love him for, minus select few internet nerds that are butthurt because he stalled the Arrested Development movie." It's what he's good at, undeniably, and why he continues to get these roles. And Scott IS socially awkward and dumb, something the trailers highlight. From everything we've read, that's ALL the trailers highlight--Cera is going to be just fine. But why bother? You're all going to go in and pre-hate Cera even before he even comes on screen. It's just stupid.

Why don't you tell me again how Cera is critic-proof

why don't you tell me again why avatar is the best movie of ever and forever

way more

oatmeal said:
I haven't seen that, so I guess I can't comment.

I have only seen him in a few of his more recent films like Zombieland/Adventureland...one other that I can't remember.

He's not terrible, and he's watchable, but when I watch him I just think he's a clone of Cera.

He looks good in The Social Network, though. Excited to see that :D

Check out The Squid and the Whale. He holds his own against Jeff Daniels and Laura Linney. It's also one of the best dramas of the 2000's. Zombeland and Adventureland was pure Cera material.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i thought cera was great when i saw the flick

this is like reviewing games before you play them

let's talk about the little references you love

mine is the X-men patch on the parka. would def do that

Takao

Banned
I've never read the books before, but I do plan on checking them out eventually (I was actually going to buy the entire series today, but the store lacked volume 4 so I bought something else). So this movie would be safe for someone entirely Scott Pilgrim free?

It's hard to get friends interested in watching this with me. The TV spots are kind of off putting.

DeathbyVolcano said:
It's more, "shut up, he's doing exactly what people know and love him for, minus select few internet nerds that are butthurt because he stalled the Arrested Development movie." It's what he's good at, undeniably, and why he continues to get these roles. And Scott IS socially awkward and dumb, something the trailers highlight. From everything we've read, that's ALL the trailers highlight--Cera is going to be just fine. But why bother? You're all going to go in and pre-hate Cera even before he even comes on screen. It's just stupid.

I don't hate Michael Cera. I mean, I've seen him in movies and not been offended by him, and I don't even care about Arrested Development. You're acting like somebody saying he doesn't fit in with their expectations of the Scott Pilgrim character is doing it because they're an angry, bitter old nerd. When it could just be that seeing him play Michael Cera rather than Scott Pilgrim is a bit of a problem.

Maybe it works in the movie. But seeing as the thread exists to discuss a movie that isn't released yet, you should expect these conversations.

Blader

butter_stick said:
I don't hate Michael Cera. I mean, I've seen him in movies and not been offended by him, and I don't even care about Arrested Development. You're acting like somebody saying he doesn't fit in with their expectations of the Scott Pilgrim character is doing it because they're an angry, bitter old nerd. When it could just be that seeing him play Michael Cera rather than Scott Pilgrim is a bit of a problem.

Maybe it works in the movie. But seeing as the thread exists to discuss a movie that isn't released yet, you should expect these conversations.

WorstFuckingAttorney.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom