• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

n3ss said:
I'm working from home today... So, I'm just bring my laptop and wait in line! :lol
I hate you so much. If I was in the bay still I'd totally roll with you. Nobody wants to go here... :( Any Seattle gaffers going to the screening?

Salazar said:
If you keep on making me nervous about the Tintin film, I'm going to stamp my feet and hold my breath.

Whatever, that movie's gonna be like 90% animation anyway. Even fucking Captain Haddock is CG.

harSon said:
Emile Hirsch :D

Awesome, AWESOME actor, but I don't really see him as Scott. The thing that makes Cera work for Scott, in my opinion, is that even though he plays shy and awkward, he has this innocence that just makes him eminently likable, which is the same sort of innocence that I attribute to Scott (though, as I said, Scott DOES have a slightly more extroverted way of expressing it, an extroversion that I think Cera has captured quite well, from what I've seen).

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I don't know. I honestly can't imagine ANYBODY out there that is a better fit for a live-action Scott Pilgrim, unless there's an unknown out there that we haven't seen.

I would have liked that dude from Zombieland, Jessie Eisenberg?

Movie will still be good, but I'm not a Cera fan.

LocoMrPollock said:
I would have liked that dude from Zombieland, Jessie Eisenberg?

Movie will still be good, but I'm not a Cera fan.

Jesse eisenberg is a better actor, but he doesn't have Cera's boyish charm, which captures Scott's semi-juvenile demeanor quite well.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is there a large group of people here excited for this who have no previous exposure to it? All I've ever seen are the commercials and I think the movie looks horrendous. Not trolling, I'll probably see it at some point, just a bit baffled by it.

harSon

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Awesome, AWESOME actor, but I don't really see him as Scott. The thing that makes Cera work for Scott, in my opinion, is that even though he plays shy and awkward, he has this innocence that just makes him eminently likable, which is the same sort of innocence that I attribute to Scott (though, as I said, Scott DOES have a slightly more extroverted way of expressing it, an extroversion that I think Cera has captured quite well, from what I've seen).

I didn't pick Emile Hirsch because I thought his persona was synonymous with Scott Pilgrim's, I picked him because he could be made to look the part and has the ability to, brace yourself for it, act.

big ander

harSon said:
I didn't pick Emile Hirsch because I thought his persona was synonymous with Scott Pilgrim's, I picked him because he could be made to look the part and has the ability to, brace yourself for it, act.
So wait...being able to emulate the persona of Scott doesn't matter?
By that logic, Jack Nicholson should have played Paul Rudd's character in Dinner for Schmucks because he's the better actor. Just CG away some wrinkles and erase some fat.

harSon

Banned
big ander said:
So wait...being able to emulate the persona of Scott doesn't matter?
By that logic, Jack Nicholson should have played Paul Rudd's character in Dinner for Schmucks because he's the better actor. Just CG away some wrinkles and erase some fat.

Actors and actresses aren't always chosen to play a part simply because their real life personalities are synonymous with the role in question. Sometimes they have to transform themselves and become the character, you know, act.

Having said that, why can't there be any screenings that are in and around San Jose, CA. I constantly have to drive near San Francisco for all of my screening needs :/

harSon said:

Actors and actresses aren't always chosen to play a part simply because their real life personalities are synonymous with the role in question. Sometimes they have to transform themselves and become the character, you know, act.

Having said that, why can't there be any screenings that are in and around San Jose, CA. I constantly have to drive near San Francisco for all of my screening needs :/
There was one in Sacramento. :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
harSon said:
The SF listing for tonight should actually be labeled Bay Area - the theater's actually in Dublin. :lol

harSon

Banned
Stabby McSter said:
There was one in Sacramento. :p

That's even farther and lets just say I'd rather go to San Francisco even if it were farther :lol

XiaNaphryz said:
The SF listing for tonight should actually be labeled Bay Area - the theater's actually in Dublin. :lol

That's still like 40-50 minutes away from me :( I'd go if my car weren't acting up...

harSon said:

A) Cera looks way more like Scott than Hirsch.

B) Cera's acting in the movie, by all indications (save for a few exceptions), is quite good.

C) Cera is awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
Look the point is, by all accounts and by the way Scott Pilgrim actually is, Michael Cera doing what he does is not actually at all out-of-order. Michael Cera really does act remarkably like Scott Pilgrim is in the trailers and clips so far, so even though it's not perfect I doubt Hirsch would have been able to provide a superior interpretation of the character. When you're as close as Edgar Wright already is with Michael Cera, you don't really need to get closer (and I have serious doubts that Hirsch would be closer. He's a better actor with better range, but he is not necessarily a better Scott Pilgrim).

Jintor

WordAssassin said:
Also, Jintor, I used the word "awesome" once in that post, so if that's overuse, I guess I should never say it again?

To be hyperbolic if I may, "An epic of epic epicness" barely even describes how insanely, intensely "awesome" this movie is. I can not wait for the 13th so I can go see it again, and I already have people from my home town asking me when I'll be back so we can see it in a huge group. It is just so fucking bad ass that it's almost unreal.

I put that badly, but take a look at your second paragraph i quoted there and tell me that's not just mindblowingly awesometastic.

ezekial45

Banned
harSon said:
Does Speed Racer not count or something?

Shit, i completely forgot about Speed Racer, and it's one of my favorites. Thanks for reminding me.

First off, I realize that Actors acting the part is important, but presentation is also key. He looks nothing like him and that creates a disconnect. Maybe not for you, but for a lot of people it does. I don't think Emile's good at all for Scott Pilgrim though. Sure he's a better actor than Cera, but it's just that HE (Hirshe himself) isn't right for the character.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
At the Dublin showing waiting for the movie to start! Thanks Gaf, free movie a week early and food? AWESOME

Dartastic

n3ss said:
At the Dublin showing waiting for the movie to start! Thanks Gaf, free movie a week early and food? AWESOME

hateyouhateyouhateyou. Nobody from Portland would drive to Lakeview with me, and I didn't find out if any Seattle GAF were going, hence I'm not going. =(

ezekial45

Banned
n3ss said:

I'm disappointed i couldn't make it to the showing. Dublin was an odd place to have it though. Hows the theater there?

Tucah

you speak so well
Just came back from seeing a screening of the movie - with a little Q&A session with Edgar Wright, Anna Kendrick, Michael Cera and Jason Schwartzman afterwards, which was really really cool.

Great, great movie. Cera pulled off Scott much better than I expected he would, and everyone was casted PERFECTLY. Knives was amazing, Kim was perfect (even if she wasn't used nearly as much as I would have liked - I wanted to see
the flashbacks to high school with Lisa.
) and Wallace stole every scene he was in. Ramona was the weakest link, but she was still fine. I thought the changes from the comic were fine - I knew beforehand there would be a divergence after the third volume but until the Q&A I had no idea most of them were O'Malley's ideas anyway. The music fit perfectly and the bands were all exactly how I imagined them. The fight scenes were unique, a ton of fun and some of the most entertaining fight scenes I've seen in a while.

Minor complaint - ending spoiler -
I really wasn't rooting for Scott and Ramona, it definitely seemed like it should have been Scott and Knives together in the end. Knives just seemed to care for Scott a hell of a lot more than Ramona did, so I didn't exactly believe the ending.

Wright did a fantastic job, it easily lives up to his past efforts. I can't wait to see this again on the 13th.

harSon

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Shit, i completely forgot about Speed Racer, and it's one of my favorites. Thanks for reminding me.

First off, I realize that Actors acting the part is important, but presentation is also key. He looks nothing like him and that creates a disconnect. Maybe not for you, but for a lot of people it does. I don't think Emile's good at all for Scott Pilgrim though. Sure he's a better actor than Cera, but it's just that HE (Hirshe himself) isn't right for the character.

Scott Pilgrim is drawn in such an overly stylized fashion that it's difficult to say who does and does not look like the character. To be perfectly honest, most young Caucasian males with blonde to brown hair can be made to look like Scott Pilgrim.

ezekial45 said:
I'm disappointed i couldn't make it to the showing. Dublin was an odd place to have it though. Hows the theater there?

I can't justify driving an hour to Dublin myself :p SF is an easy sell considering the city itself is awesome and there's stuff outside of the film I can do before and after the showing.

oatmeal

Banned
Saw it again...

To be honest, other than the tweaked ending (I think I actually preferred the old one), it was remarkably similar.

Sure, there weren't men in green suits (GREEN MAN!!!!) standing by during some fight scenes, and a certain 'ribbon' weapon was no longer a blue ribbon to be keyed later...and I think the soundtrack was finalized...and the intro was in place now...but very similar.

Still fucking awesome.

Just finished reading volume 6 and really loved the ending :D I know the movie is going to take a different approach, but I still hope the ending for the movie is at least a lil bit similar :D

oatmeal

Banned
There is nothing I hate more, btw, when you wait in line for 2 fucking hours at a movie, get a great seat, and some bitch that works for the theater or something makes you slide over a seat because some people that came later can be squeezed in if everyone moves over a seat.

Fuck them.

So many people that waited were forced to sit in the front section, but the people that just mosey in 10 minutes before the screening get prime seats right in the middle?

Fuck. That.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
ezekial45 said:

I've been to this theater before, it's just "ok". I arrived a little after 3pm, was the second group in line, the first group was there since 12 -crazy kids.

Anyways, the movie was amazing as expected: the soundtrack, the cast, everything was great. Looking back at it, the only thing that bothered me was the pacing, seemed like they were rushing to move on to the next fight (which were all fun and entertaining), especially towards the end... Literarily seemed like everything happened within a few days -a bit jarring in retrospect.

I will be seeing this again next week... :D

n3ss said:
I've been to this theater before, it's just "ok". I arrived a little after 3pm, was the second group in line, the first group was there since 12 -crazy kids.

Anyways, the movie was amazing as expected: the soundtrack, the cast, everything was great. Looking back at it, the only thing that bothered me was the pacing, seemed like they were rushing to move on to the next fight (which were all fun and entertaining), especially towards the end... Literarily seemed like everything happened within a few days -a bit jarring in retrospect.

I will be seeing this again next week... :D
Everything DOES happen in a few days. The movie takes place over one week whereas the book takes place over a little more then a year.

Actually, looking back, that's the one thing that bothered me about the movie.
The Twins have absolutely NO back story at all. None. They are in the movie for like, the fight, and that is it. There's no lead up, and honestly the way the movie presents the characters there doesn't really need to be, but like... they didn't even have to be Exes, they could have just been anyone. Kinda bugs me.

Also, I love that I was right about
bits of Free Scott Pilgrim being in the movie. Not only does Scott sport the 4 1/2 shirt from FSP, but during the Roxy fight, Scott says he can't fight girls and Ramona winds up fighting with Scott's hands and feet, just like the battle in the FSP comic. So totally awesome. "I don't think I can hit a girl... they're soft..."
:lol

oatmeal said:
There is nothing I hate more, btw, when you wait in line for 2 fucking hours at a movie, get a great seat, and some bitch that works for the theater or something makes you slide over a seat because some people that came later can be squeezed in if everyone moves over a seat.

Fuck them.

So many people that waited were forced to sit in the front section, but the people that just mosey in 10 minutes before the screening get prime seats right in the middle?

Fuck. That.

What? Those fuckers shouldn't make you move down to the front! I hate people who come into a theater at the last minute!!!

Fuck them!

Penguin

Just came back from seeing this.

And I will say it was a fun and enjoyable movie.

I thought it boiled the comics down pretty hard, but still maintained the wit and charm of the comics for the most part.

I am also a bigger fan of the ending in the movie than the comics.

And some awesome boss fights

discohiro

Had a chance to see this last night, but the theater was full. The line was cut off with about 15-20 people in front of me. However they were nice enough to give the first 100 people left in the line a concessions gift card and a free movie pass.

Holy Christ this was so good. Cera was CERIOUSLY (hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!) great. He was NOT just George Michael with a bass guitar. Kim was great. Julie was great. Wallace was SO great. And I love how Wright did so many thing to film in the spirit that O'Malley did to comics. (Julie Power has, well, you'll see.)

Christ this movie was such a relentless blast. Beautiful.

God damn.

sinny

Banned
The movie is coming out in october here in Argentina. I hope they don't change plans , i want to see it in the theater

Lucas Lee posters:

43514.jpg

43515.jpg

more here. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom