• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
I dunno while I definitely don't think Michael Cera assumes all of Scott Pilgrim's qualities particularly well in any of the material I've seen thus far, I do think he captures a very specific interpretation of the character's personality pretty much exactly as I imagined it.

I honestly don't know what everyone else is reading, but if ever there was a role that fits Michael Cera, it really is Scott Pilgrim. I've read through the first five volumes maybe 30 or 40 times, and the last volume a good six times already. Michael Cera is pretty much exactly as awkward and buffoon-ish as Scott Pilgrim is. The only thing Michael Cera is lacking is the way Scott Pilgrim apparently comes across as confidently awkward... comfortable in the role he plays, in other words.

While that is a rather disappointing aspect, virtually every other Scott Pilgrim personality quirk is covered by Michael Cera even if it was just Michael Cera playing George Michael.

I don't have a big fan page for Michael Cera (whom I've basically only liked in Arrested Development), nor do I think he's the PERFECT image of Scott Pilgrim.

But people are acting like he's some deal breaker, that he's so out-of-character that it's unacceptable. Clearly they've been reading some other Scott Pilgrim material.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
butter_stick said:
Maybe it works in the movie. But seeing as the thread exists to discuss a movie that isn't released yet, you should expect these conversations.
There are several people in the thread who have seen the movie though, some as far back as late winter/early spring.

XiaNaphryz said:
There are several people in the thread who have seen the movie though, some as far back as late winter/early spring.

If someone has seen the movie and says "Yo, I loved Cera", than that's fine. Hell, maybe I will!

maharg

idspispopd
I actually think the only thing that Cera is missing in terms of being like Scott Pilgrim is he's not particularly attractive. He's got a puppydog thing going, but Scott in the books always seemed to be among the better looking of the characters. I don't feel like he as a character had even enough depth to convey confidence, but he looked like he had the good looks to just be perceived that way.

If it were a better looking actor with exactly Cera's delivery, I don't think people would have any problem at all.

Amir0x

Banned
Really? I never thought of Scott as an attractive guy - but maybe I was just projecting part of myself onto that. Always viewed him as a sort of inattentive slacker, who neither cared much about himself (or his personal appearance) until he was motivated to be so.

But maybe he was always just sort of oblivious to the fact that he was good looking. It's kind of hard with the art style Bryan Lee O'Malley has to figure which characters are good looking and which characters aren't :lol

daegan

Seeing a clip of the animated short with Cera voicing is even more convincing. People are going to complain no matter what...

I can't wait for next week.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Amir0x said:
Really? I never thought of Scott as an attractive guy - but maybe I was just projecting part of myself onto that. Always viewed him as a sort of inattentive slacker, who neither cared much about himself (or his personal appearance) until he was motivated to be so.

But maybe he was always just sort of oblivious to the fact that he was good looking. It's kind of hard with the art style Bryan Lee O'Malley has to figure which characters are good looking and which characters aren't :lol
Scott never had an issue attracting the ladies - from high school and pre-Envy college and beyond.

maharg

idspispopd
Amir0x said:

Yes, it's definitely tricky. I think he's supposed to be good looking in the doesn't know he's good looking, rolled out of bed in the morning and his hair was JUST LIKE THAT kind of way. And that's not me projecting, because I'm definitely not that haha.

for all the Jesse Eisenberg and Michael Cera haters, you will always hate them. You hate their little mannerisms and the way they act. Judging from the amount of movies they've done they aren't going to change that.

I love them, including their little mannerisms and the way they act. Even after seeing Scott Pilgrim, Michael Cera's best work remains Superbad and he even brings all his quirks with him to SP. If you despise him, not even Scott Pilgrim will change your mind because you won't be able to get past the fact that it's him.

Jesse Eisenberg. I loved him in Rodger Dodger and even by judging the way he acts in The Social Network trailer, he isn't changing things up. He may be given more to work with and try to form to Zuckerberg, but for the most part he will be bringing his shtick to the role and I love that.

I just hate all this bickering because the haters will always have ammo, considering these two great actors will always bring part of themselves to the role. I don't see need for further discussion.

Amir0x

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
Scott never had an issue attracting the ladies - from high school and pre-Envy college and beyond.

The way he tends to get the attention of the ladies, I always kind of assumed he was accidentally falling into those relationships too. Really, he always meets girls in the most bizarre ways or for the most bizarre reasons! :lol

maharg said:
Yes, it's definitely tricky. I think he's supposed to be good looking in the doesn't know he's good looking, rolled out of bed in the morning and his hair was JUST LIKE THAT kind of way. And that's not me projecting, because I'm definitely not that haha.

Ah yeah, I can see what you mean better now. Michael Cera definitely isn't that! He really is a froggy looking dude. hehehe.

Dragnet

The animation looks kinda cool, although..Scott Pilgrim is ginger? Mindfuck.

On an angry side note, my cinema had the opening date for this down as the 6th, so I was psyched to see it this week. I check again and it's now the 25th (apparently what it always has been) which got me into a rage, naturally. My rage then developed into a full blown ragesplosion when I remembered I'm going on holiday on the 22nd. FFFFUUUU

Holy shit you guys. Holy fucking shit.

This movie, oh my God. I just saw it. Jesus Christ it is so fucking good. It has ROCKETED to my #1 movie of all time. There were scenes where I had to push myself back in my chair because the awesome was just so over the top fucking intense I could hardly bear it.

I was never worried about MC playing Scott, but being a HUGE fan of the books, having every one of my friends tell me that I -AM- Scott Pilgrim, Michael Cera does a perfect, perfect job. I think the only way he could have been better is if he was louder, but there are plenty of times where he shouts and gets pissed off so it's all gravy to me.

The final fight, holy fuck. Just, holy fuck. That was so fucking insane. Oh my God. This movie you guys. This fucking movie.

Edit: The ONE HUGE FLAW was that there was no sound during the 8-Bit Universal opening, so I didn't get to hear the fucking theme played in retro chip-tunes. :mad:

Seeing those animated clips feels weird for some reason. It's bizarre to see comic-Scott in full color with a completely different voice than what I imagined.

I just finished the book series last night, I'm going to see this film!

DeathbyVolcano said:
510999861_f7b233bd4a_o.gif
I LOVED THAT PART! :lol
:lol Look at where his knife is positioned!

Lombaszko

So Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman, and Edgar Wright were doing an interview at a radio station next door to my work. I saw them taking pictures outside so I ran out to go say hello but... they were in the cars driving away. I did manage to give them all awkward thumbs up!

Chavelo

Went to the Denver advanced screening last night with a friend who hasn't checked out the books, but was hyped about the game and movie.

This movie was SO good... Not
uber-awesome... Inception already has that spot
, though... I might blame that on me being too hyped about the movie since January. But Edgar Wright once again made a film that I will buy and cherish once it comes out on physical media... and I pirate like hell. It's gonna be hard for me to decide which of his three movies are my favorite now.

It's also a great supplement to the books, and even if you haven't read it, you will still have a blast... I mean, there's a goddamn
bollywood
scene, and it was so cheesy it fit perfectly with the movie. All the fights, music scenes, and cultural references were great... Just hearing the
Zelda
soundtrack and effects just made me smile with glee.

I will have to go into the camp that Michael Cera did a damn fine job as Scott Pilgrim, not as Michael Cera. Seriously, it was so weird seeing him being confident and making jokes without feeling awkward after making said joke. Kieran Culkin... oh boy, I'm gonna have to follow his work from now on. His Wallace was great. Ellen Wong might look a bit too old for the role, but was hilarious as Knives. She rocked the house... Only low point I can see was Mary Elizabeth Winstead... Her Ramona was a bit dull. :-/

Now, I gotta say that if you love the books, you will love this movie. If you're a gamer (Gaffer?) then you NEED to check this out... and if you like Wright's work, then this will be in your dvd/blu-ray collection... Other than that, this movie might not get enough recognition, me thinks. Just too out there for a lot of folks.

GAF, this is your action-comedy of the year. GET HYPE.

Michael Cera was on Letterman last night, and I've never realized just how tiny his head is since he got it cut very short. :lol

Anyway, me and my dad are actually excited for the movie. My dad is in his 50s and he thinks the movie looks good. Never even heard of the comics/graphic novels/whatever you call them.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Lombaszko said:
So Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman, and Edgar Wright were doing an interview at a radio station next door to my work. I saw them taking pictures outside so I ran out to go say hello but... they were in the cars driving away. I did manage to give them all awkward thumbs up!
Was it Toucher and Rich? I heard them saying they'd be on today, but wasn't sure if it was a phone interview or whatever.

Lombaszko

dave is ok said:
Was it Toucher and Rich? I heard them saying they'd be on today, but wasn't sure if it was a phone interview or whatever.
It was at WAAF, Hillman I think. But they're probably doing a bunch of radio stations.

wow, I never realized Michael Cera had an angry bunch to defend him.

anyway, the animated short clip was cool. Without spoiling the movie for me, is it fair to assume that
all the flashback scenes will be animated like that?

So I started reading the books as of last night and made it to Book 4 so far. I love it. More excited for this movie right now (although I'll admit I'm a bit put off by Cera, but I'm sure he'll do fine).

I'm also oddly looking forward to Brandon Routh as Todd Ingram. :lol

Linkzg said:
wow, I never realized Michael Cera had an angry bunch to defend him.

anyway, the animated short clip was cool. Without spoiling the movie for me, is it fair to assume that
all the flashback scenes will be animated like that?
Kind-of. They're black-and-white, and in the style of the comics, but they're not FULLY animated like the Adult Swim cartoon.

And yeah I was careful to not put anything specific or spoilery in my post. The chip-tune Universal theme has been talked about since the very first screenings started which is how I knew I even missed it when there was no sound.

Dumbass people in the audience were saying, "Do we need 3D glasses?" when it showed the 8-bit logo, they thought it was out of focus. -sigh-

Also, Jintor, I used the word "awesome" once in that post, so if that's overuse, I guess I should never say it again?

To be hyperbolic if I may, "An epic of epic epicness" barely even describes how insanely, intensely "awesome" this movie is. I can not wait for the 13th so I can go see it again, and I already have people from my home town asking me when I'll be back so we can see it in a huge group. It is just so fucking bad ass that it's almost unreal.

Amir0x said:
I dunno while I definitely don't think Michael Cera assumes all of Scott Pilgrim's qualities particularly well in any of the material I've seen thus far, I do think he captures a very specific interpretation of the character's personality pretty much exactly as I imagined it.

I honestly don't know what everyone else is reading, but if ever there was a role that fits Michael Cera, it really is Scott Pilgrim. I've read through the first five volumes maybe 30 or 40 times, and the last volume a good six times already. Michael Cera is pretty much exactly as awkward and buffoon-ish as Scott Pilgrim is. The only thing Michael Cera is lacking is the way Scott Pilgrim apparently comes across as confidently awkward... comfortable in the role he plays, in other words.

While that is a rather disappointing aspect, virtually every other Scott Pilgrim personality quirk is covered by Michael Cera even if it was just Michael Cera playing George Michael.

I don't have a big fan page for Michael Cera (whom I've basically only liked in Arrested Development), nor do I think he's the PERFECT image of Scott Pilgrim.

But people are acting like he's some deal breaker, that he's so out-of-character that it's unacceptable. Clearly they've been reading some other Scott Pilgrim material.

This. I honestly don't see how people can look at Cera and not think that he is, if not perfect, then at least a very good choice for Scott Pilgrim.

Blader

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
This. I honestly don't see how people can look at Cera and not think that he is, if not perfect, then at least a very good choice for Scott Pilgrim.

Because Cera's brand of awkward lands on the side of shy and introverted, while Scott's brand of awkward lands on the side of loud, animated, and extroverted.

All the recent clips have shown Cera as being less him and more Scott, but I wouldn't say that "Michael Cera = Scott Pilgrim" is an association that would ever immediately come to mind.

Blader5489 said:
Because Cera's brand of awkward lands on the side of shy and introverted, while Scott's brand of awkward lands on the side of loud, animated, and extroverted.

All the recent clips have shown Cera as being less him and more Scott, but I wouldn't say that "Michael Cera = Scott Pilgrim" is an association that would ever immediately come to mind.

But Scott's not loud, animated, and extroverted all THAT often; he has moments of that, yeah, and he in general has a sort of clueless confidence that Cera lacks, but I think that he spends quite a bit of time in that same sort of quiet, introverted place that Cera inhabits.

I don't know. I honestly can't imagine ANYBODY out there that is a better fit for a live-action Scott Pilgrim, unless there's an unknown out there that we haven't seen.

But Scott's not loud, animated, and extroverted all THAT often; he has moments of that, yeah, and he in general has a sort of clueless confidence that Cera lacks, but I think that he spends quite a bit of time in that same sort of quiet, introverted place that Cera inhabits.

I don't know. I honestly can't imagine ANYBODY out there that is a better fit for a live-action Scott Pilgrim, unless there's an unknown out there that we haven't seen.
Me!

harSon

Banned

Emile Hirsch :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

My opinion is that on every college campus in North America, there's probably someone more "Pilgrim" than Cera.

But I will concede, within Hollywood, there is no one better.

polyh3dron said:
Ok how do we get in to these LA screenings then?

keep up-to-date on all the sites that post screening passes like gofobo, filmmetro, etc. I've seen a number of them, but always ignored since I of course don't live in LA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom