• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
daegan said:
exactly :D god that ubisoft conference was seriously the worst thing ever

Oh I was lucky enough to avoid that :lol Nah, I didn't pay any attention to Avatar really, until I saw it. And I saw it on DVD :lol

just talked with my interviewer who just was at the LA press junket and got to talk to Wright, Cera, Kendrick and Routh.

I told him to ask about the Test screening vs. Theatrical ending and Wright ignored the question. :lol Said it would be answered on the DVD.

Also a world GAF exclusive: Wright said he went over the opening credits, taking comments from Tarantino. :D

From El Guapo over at Latino Review:

This was a movie that while watching it, made me happy to be alive during this period of cinema. That might be the gayest thing I've ever written but it's true. You can't help but be impressed by what you're seeing and hearing on screen. Scott Pilgrim is a wonderful reminder that movies can go places we never imagined they could go. And I'll happily insert my coin into a machine that does that everytime.

Couldn't have said it better! :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DanielPlainview said:
just talked with my interviewer who just was at the LA press junket and got to talk to Wright, Cera, Kendrick and Routh.
That was fast. They were up at SF this morning doing press junkets at various radio stations. I guess they flew down to LA right away.

MNC

squinters said:
So I wanna see this movie, but I'm wondering. Should I read the comics first?
You should read the comics either way. Plus I'd say yes, there might be alot of little things that you wouldn't get if you didn't read the comic, but enjoyed alot more if you DID.

Belfast

This brings up a good question: why *does* the "Joystick Generation" seem to hate itself so much? We constantly shame each other (and ourselves) for the things we do and engage in on a daily basis; call it puerile, shallow, and immature.

Salazar

Belfast said:
This brings up a good question: why *does* the "Joystick Generation" seem to hate itself so much? We constantly shame each other (and ourselves) for the things we do and engage in on a daily basis; call it puerile, shallow, and immature.

I refuse, politely, to accept that a question that includes the phrase 'Joystick Generation' is interesting or good or even clear.

Metal B

Salazar said:
I refuse, politely, to accept that a question that includes the phrase 'Joystick Generation' is interesting or good or even clear.
A specialty since Scott Pilgram only make refernces to games like Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Sonic and Final Fanatsy, which you could only play with gamepads. So it is a "Gamepad Generation"?

Belfast

Salazar said:

I was merely citing the malcontent above, whose terrible attitude prompted me to pose the question in the first place.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Salazar said:

What's up Sally? I think it's a pretty good description of the Scott Pilgrim characters and fans. Those of us in our 20's and early 30's are certainly one of the first generations to grow up with videogames being totally ingrained in our childhoods. It's like Edgar Wright was saying about the Zelda music, these are like nursery rhymes to people my age, it has so much nostalgia packed into it.

pic from the interview:

38752_527585059476_132502279_31186332_3350096_n.jpg

Edgar looks to be having some trouble. :lol

ezekial45

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
pic from the interview:

38752_527585059476_132502279_31186332_3350096_n.jpg

Edgar looks to be having some trouble. :lol

Somebody twitter (or twitpic, whatever it's called) this pic to him. See if he'll respond. He responds back to a number people on his page.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
What's with all these advanced screenings targeted towards people who were already going to pay to see the movie? </jealous>

AgentWhiskersX said:
What's with all these advanced screenings targeted towards people who were already going to pay to see the movie? </jealous>

It worked for Despicable Me, Universal's only non-bomb of the year. They are trying anything they can. :lol

Penguin

BenjaminBirdie said:
YEAH!!!!

WON TICKETS FOR THE THURSDAY SCREENING.

Cannot believe it. It's really happening.

And I've stalked you twice now!

But so stoked for this.

Shall pick up pass with weekly comics on Wedn.

Wonder what time should get there.

squinters

astigmatic
MNC said:
You should read the comics either way. Plus I'd say yes, there might be alot of little things that you wouldn't get if you didn't read the comic, but enjoyed alot more if you DID.
DanielPlainview said:
I would say yes. You will be more accustomed to the style and the adaptation is amazing.

Thanks!

FnordChan

squinters said:
So I wanna see this movie, but I'm wondering. Should I read the comics first?

I caught a preview screening earlier this week and went with a small mob of folks, most of whom hadn't read the comics at all. They all had a great time and seemed to be perfectly content to just roll up, watch the flick, and wander off again with the vague notion that they might want to pick up the comics at some point.

Having read all the comics myself (and within the past few months as a new convert to Scott Pilgrim), I'm not sure that you'd necessarily get more out of the movie for having done so. I'm not saying it would hurt or anything, but I wouldn't want you to feel that you needed to run out and read 1200 pages in order to enjoy the film, as I talked to plenty of people afterwards who knew nothing about the movie whatsoever going in and loved it. If anything, I found myself thinking about the differences between the comics and the film as I was watching it, and while this wasn't a bad thing it did provide for a different experience than walking in cold.

FnordChan

oatmeal

Banned
Some guy is being a dickhead to me about the film...

Did they do a reshoot or change the ending?

Because in the version I saw in January...

Scott ends up with knives...

And in the reviews I've read...

He ends up with Ramona...

I mean, I'm not imagining what I saw back then, but this guy insists that there is no way Edgar Wright didn't know how to end his own film.

Nelo Ice

Banned
MNC said:

this

the trailers got me hooked and i ended up getting the comics after the 6th came out

after reading them the trailers are even more amazing and i cant wait to see the full movie :D

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
oatmeal said:
Some guy is being a dickhead to me about the film...

Did they do a reshoot or change the ending?

Because in the version I saw in January...

Scott ends up with knives...

And in the reviews I've read...

He ends up with Ramona...

I mean, I'm not imagining what I saw back then, but this guy insists that there is no way Edgar Wright didn't know how to end his own film.

two endings were filmed. the movie is being released with the Ramona ending

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
*sigh* goddamnit, just finished volume 6. Great, great series, but some of Ramona's infuriating behavior (especially the "I'm so happy, but I'm going to leave you now because I'm a bad person") reminded me far to much of a girl I thought I was over.

Damnit. I'll still go see the movie.

oatmeal said:
Do you guys have any links or quotes saying that there were two endings filmed?
When you watch the final cut its pretty obvious where they could have cut and just added a small part. Pretty sure its a reshoot since it matches up with the vol 6 comic.

Dartastic

I just showed my mom (who HATES video games) the first trailer. She liked it quite a bit, and when I told her of the rotten tomatoes percentage, she got even more interested. This movie might do better than we think... :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
oatmeal said:
Do you guys have any links or quotes saying that there were two endings filmed?
http://www.chud.com/articles/articl...-SCOTT-PILGRIM-ADDITIONAL-SHOOTING/Page1.html

"To be honest - I'm excited about it," he told me in an email. "We have material from Vol 6 that is impossible to resist and so even after a nearly a year of editing - it's going to be fun to put some icing on the cake. We are not even redoing one full scene, just some bits and bobs and new jokes and beats that I wrote with Bacall & O'Malley. Both Shaun & Hot Fuzz had two and three days respectively of additional shooting. One of those bits was the granny being kicked in the face. I think we can all agree that was a good pickup."

Doesn't mean that they necessarily shot a second ending at this point as they could've had multiple endings shot from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom