• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Man

I said wow
I know that GAF will ostracize me for my alleged heresy, but I found Michael Cera incredibly annoying in this role, although I cannot quite pinpoint why I feel that way. Perhaps I have simply grown tired of seeing him apply the same style of acting to every role. Granted, I have not read the source material in this case, but my friend reassured me that Scott Pilgrim is more of a hyperactive kind of awkward--as opposed to Cera's same-old-same-old dopey facial expressions and awkward speech patterns. =/

Also, Vegan Police <3

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Masked Man said:
I know that GAF will ostracize me for my alleged heresy, but I found Michael Cera incredibly annoying in this role, although I cannot quite pinpoint why I feel that way. Perhaps I have simply grown tired of seeing him apply the same style of acting to every role. Granted, I have not read the source material in this case, but my friend reassured me that Scott Pilgrim is more of a hyperactive kind of awkward--as opposed to Cera's same-old-same-old dopey facial expressions and awkward speech patterns. =/

Also, Vegan Police <3
I have yet to see the movie (comes with the awesome of living in Europe, I guess) but maybe that's because Cera elicits a certain kind of reaction. It is not just that he has played the awkward teenager role one too many times; he doesn't have a good physical presence. From what I've seen and heard, he makes a good Scott Pilgrim, but he doesn't look like the part at all. Scott is mildly attractive, average built dude, whereas Cera (and I like the guy, honest) is a scrawny chinless dweeb, which makes his character a little bit unvelievable from a purely aesthetic point.

BenjaminBirdie said:
If you haven't read too much I can just assure you that you still won't be disappointed.

Please, don't get me wrong. I'm sure they're totally awesome, but a Pegg/Frost cameo would've been nice and it seems that the vegan police would be perfect for them, that's all. :D

FnordChan

Cosmic Bus said:
On the other hand, I think the entire concept of Scott Pilgrim is incredibly irritating... the seemingly constant onslaught of videogame and indie puns and references makes me absolutely cringe, and the entire thing veers too far into self-aggrandizing for my tastes, especially since, as I say, the subject matter isn't appealing in the first place. There's nothing in the 'geek romance' that I find identifiable, either.

Scott Pilgrim is so stylized that I'm not going to argue very hard with someone who looks at the trailer and says, "You know, that just isn't my thing." That said, I really enjoyed the flick and wouldn't want someone who's a fan of Wright to miss it because of a misconception they might have. Namely, the thing about the video game, comic book, and indie rock aspects of the movie is that they're all happening in the background. We're not talking the sort of referential humor where the characters exclaim "Gosh, it's just like TITLE OF POP CULTURE ICON" and the audience breaks out into Pavlovian tittering. Instead, it's like watching a Looney Tune that assumes it's audience has played a few 8/16-bit video games and has maybe read a few superhero comics at some point in their lives. You're getting Mario-inspired gags and "POW!" sound effects, but the movie isn't dwelling on them or really commenting on them. It's just something everyone takes in stride. As for geek romance, the movie is more about young romance than anything. I guess you could call them hipsters if you wanted to but, man, why dwell on that? I live in a college town and these characters are all over the place. It's just a reflection of the times.

Again, Scott Pilgrim is not going to be for everyone, and I don't want to sit here and lecture people who aren't feeling it on why they're crazy or anything like that. But, if you really liked Wright's previous work, you're probably going to enjoy the hell out of Scott Pilgrim, and I'd hate to see a Wright fan miss out on the chance to see it on the big screen.

FnordChan

FnordChan said:
Scott Pilgrim is so stylized that I'm not going to argue very hard with someone who looks at the trailer and says, "You know, that just isn't my thing." That said, I really enjoyed the flick and wouldn't want someone who's a fan of Wright to miss it because of a misconception they might have. Namely, the thing about the video game, comic book, and indie rock aspects of the movie is that they're all happening in the background. We're not talking the sort of referential humor where the characters exclaim "Gosh, it's just like TITLE OF POP CULTURE ICON" and the audience breaks out into Pavlovian tittering. Instead, it's like watching a Looney Tune that assumes it's audience has played a few 8/16-bit video games and has maybe read a few superhero comics at some point in their lives. You're getting Mario-inspired gags and "POW!" sound effects, but the movie isn't dwelling on them or really commenting on them. It's just something everyone takes in stride. As for geek romance, the movie is more about young romance than anything. I guess you could call them hipsters if you wanted to but, man, why dwell on that? I live in a college town and these characters are all over the place. It's just a reflection of the times.

Again, Scott Pilgrim is not going to be for everyone, and I don't want to sit here and lecture people who aren't feeling it on why they're crazy or anything like that. But, if you really liked Wright's previous work, you're probably going to enjoy the hell out of Scott Pilgrim, and I'd hate to see a Wright fan miss out on the chance to see it on the big screen.

FnordChan

Well put.

What I liked about the movie (and the source material) is that Scott and his friends actually aren't hipsters at all. Most of the jerks they fight clearly are, but they're actually pretty aloof and insecure.

Is Scott Pilgrim vs. The Animation online anywhere? Last night I was watching TV and my DVR told me a scheduled recording of Family Guy was about to begin. I've had a ton of issues with it recording things without my consent, so I instinctually hit DELETE.

This morning I realized why it was recording that block.

FAIL

For some reason the Arclight in LA only has this movie on One screen this weekend, and last night when I got my tickets there were only seats remaining in the front two rows.... I'm starting to think that this movie isn't on many screens overall.

AV Club's Scott Tobias only gave it a C+, calling it "hollow and unsatisfying"... but he did add this note in the comments:

Scott Tobias said:
If it wasn't clear enough from the review, I don't want anyone to come away believing I thought this movie to be a mediocrity. Though it didn't work for me, SCOTT PILGRIM is one of those rare failures that are more invigorating than 95% of the movies I think are successful. In other words, essential viewing, flaws and all.

RetroMG

I saw it last night, and absolutely adored it. I'm seriously considering going to see it again this morning. It's like they said, "What would RetroGamer42 want to see in a movie?" and then made that. Funny thing is, I wasn't super hyped going in. (I've read about 3-4 volumes of the comic, and I've played a bit of the awesome game. But the game's awesome because it's awesome, not because of SP.) I didn't feel Cera as the Scott Pilgrim I've read in the comics, but at the end, it didn't matter. I eventually came to see Cera as a stand-in for the viewer. He was a stand-in for me, or for my best friend who went with me to see it. His reactions were more or less my reactions, and it all worked.

TLDR: Scott Pilgrim is like they took out my brain and put it on film.

brotkasten said:
Please, don't get me wrong. I'm sure they're totally awesome, but a Pegg/Frost cameo would've been nice and it seems that the vegan police would be perfect for them, that's all. :D
Wright didn't want anyone from England in the movie. He was disappointed when he found out that one of the actors in the film actually grew up around the corner from his old house.

FnordChan said:

I actually think its all dependent on the individuals taste. 1 of 2 friends who attended the advance screening was a big fan of Shaun of Dead and liked Hot Fuzz, he thought Scott Pilgrim was "alright". He enjoyed the action, thought Micheal Cera was good, and (Surprisingly) liked the music. He stated feeling lost throughout the experience. It was confusing. "It's different" -- take it good or bad. But hey, I think the trailer(s) speaks for it pretty well. If that doesn't convince them...

big ander

EvilMario said:
Always humorous how a movie can be more 'invigorating' than other movies that he gives a higher rating. Maybe people should rethink of they judge movies.
Yeah, shouldn't a movie that invigorates you be something you enjoyed?

Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune - 3 stars of 4 possible
It's easy to make a movie in a style approximating that of a comic book or graphic novel. "Sin City" did it. "Road to Perdition" did it. "Watchmen" and "Kick-Ass" did it. As did "Ghost World." Except for that last one, the others fell short as movies because they mistook visual replication for authenticity. They were storyboards based on storyboards, not films.

"Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" is different, and not just because it's funny first and everything else second. Director and co-writer Edgar Wright understands the appeal of the original Bryan Lee O'Malley graphic novels, about a Toronto fellow in his early 20s, dating, sort of, a high school girl with the superb name of Knives Chau. Scott Pilgrim plays in a band called Sex Bob-Omb. His heart goes ka-THUMPA-thumpa when he spies a New York transplant named Ramona Flowers ( Mary Elizabeth Winstead). A tough babe in black leather and boots, she says he can date her if — major if — he vanquishes all seven of her "evil exes."

The battles are epic, wall-smashing, physics-bending blowouts. O'Malley's manga-inspired books combine utter banality with superhero hyperbole, and it's a lot for a director to take on. Wright, who is British, has taken it on and won. "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" lives and breathes the style of the original books, with animated squiggles and hearts and stars filling out the frame in many individual shots. Some of this is cute; some of it is better, weirder than "cute."

Michael Cera plays Scott. The rap against Cera, best known for "Juno," is that he's "the same" in movie after movie. I've heard the same argument used against Jesse Eisenberg, and a hundred other actors. Sorry, folks, I don't see it. Cera's range may not be expansive, and he's certainly a narrowly defined physical type, but his verbal hesitations are exquisitely calibrated. "I was thinking we should break up, or whatever," he tells Knives (Ellen Wong), and the singsongy way he says it, he's speaking for every conflict-avoidant arrested-development male who ever sidled up to a breakup speech like the biggest wimp imaginable.

One major element holds back "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" from being wonderful. The second Winstead's droll, easygoing Ramona lays out the narrative requirements (the seven epic battles to the death, staged like slightly out-of-date video game clashes), the viewer thinks: Wow. Seven? Seven sounds like a lot. It is, in fact, two or three too many. Wright's film, working from an adaptation by Wright and Michael Bacall, spins its wheels in the final half-hour.

Yet "Scott Pilgrim" requires a certain too-muchness. Vanquished evil exes dissolve into a pile of coins upon being dealt the fatal blow. To enjoy the film you must enjoy the brash, satiric spirit of hero's quest. Cera and his fellow ensemble members, including Kieran Culkin as Scott's roommate, Anna Kendrick as his snippy younger sister and the majestically dour Alison Pill as the band's drummer, mitigate the apocalyptic craziness with their deadpan wiles. At its best, Wright's film is raucous, impudent entertainment.

I wanted to go at midnight, but nobody would go with me. :/ So I'm trying to get people together to go during the day today!

Chairhome

I watched the Midnight showing (sold out!) And loved it. Not having read the books yet (a problem that I hope to solve soon), I loved the film. I love the somewhat obscure references (how many people do you know have heard of Crash n the boys and Clash at Demonhead?) While still maintaining a great tone in humor for most audiences. I don't think there was a single performance in the movie that I didn't like. This movie and The Other Guys were the best movies of the summer, and strong contenders for my favorite movies of the year.

Chairhome said:
I watched the Midnight showing (sold out!) And loved it. Not having read the books yet (a problem that I hope to solve soon), I loved the film. I love the somewhat obscure references (how many people do you know have heard of Crash n the boys and Clash at Demonhead?) While still maintaining a great tone in humor for most audiences. I don't think there was a single performance in the movie that I didn't like. This movie and The Other Guys were the best movies of the summer, and strong contenders for my favorite movies of the year.

The Other Guys over Inception, or even Toy Story 3? You crazy bro. :p

ezekial45

Banned
How was the attendance for the midnight screenings for you guys? I'm hoping for sold out showing or close to it.

Can't wait to see it again tonight. I'm going with a bunch of friends how are excited about it. I'm expecting to like it more the second time, just like Wright's other movies. Every movie he's directed is made to be re-watched. I can't to see all the jokes and easter eggs i missed the first time through.

big ander said:
Plaza just tweeted this:
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/entertainment/movies/aubrey-plaza-20100813
In it she calls Cera "violent, unpredictable, a diva, and hard to work with." But then at the end it looks like she almost cracks a half-smile and the interviewer laughs and says he doesn't fully believe that.
Wow, that interview was painful to watch. The way she was talking was as if the only thought going through her head was "Why are these people still talking to me? Why won't they go away and leave me alone?"

lunarworks said:
Wow, that interview was painful to watch. The way she was talking was as if the only thought going through her head was "Why are these people still talking to me? Why won't they go away and leave me alone?"

She always has that look though. :lol

Cool poster.

http://mondotees.com/Scott-Pilgrim-Vs-The-World_p_142.html

Get 'em while you can. I dawdled on their Human Centipede poster and now it is no longer available. These posters tend to go for lotsabux on eBay. There is also a more expensive variant with
Mega Scott

Puddles said:
Dookake, are you press or something? How did you get that hooked up?

Wish I knew when this film was coming out in South Korea.

No, I am just some dude, although I did write for a pretty big newspaper a lifetime ago. Never having to pay to go to the movies was awesome.

I got the invite for this event as part of my pass for Fantastic Fest.

wwm0nkey

brotkasten said:
This. They should animate all six volumes.
Just spam the adult swim shows board, they do consider things if enough people want it and if they can get the rights (which im sure they can)

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention two things that I must echo from other posters:

1) When M. Night's movie trailer was playing, there was dead silence until his name popped up.

And then the entire theater broke out into laughter. His name is ruined now, no one can take him seriously. How is he still getting projects?

2) I second the motion of this movie being my brain set into a movie adaptation. At least, part of it. The whole "video game style fighting for the girl of your dreams" has a certain vibe to it that I can't shake...

Yeah even in the first early screening I went to, the entire audience groaned in unison as soon as Shyamalan's name came up. This seems to be a universal thing. :lol

brotkasten said:
The more I read about the vegan police, the more I think that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost should've played them.
I said this too, and I'm SURE that if Wright hadn't wanted ONLY American/Canadian actors, that's the exact cameo part they would have gotten.

Also, holy FUCK at Scott Pilgrim VS the Animation. That was AWESOME and Cera did an amazing job. He delivered some of those lines better then I heard them in my head when reading it. BRUTAL!

Yay! Going to see this again in an hour. Can't wait! -fist pump-

FlightOfHeaven said:
What made it funny was that it was laughter, not moaning. The man is a joke.

I pity him.

Anyways, just watched the animation.

My god, MORE I WANT MORE

In my theater it was an almost unanimous collective sigh followed by laughter. Yeah, I think he's done.

Dartastic

Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah even in the first early screening I went to, the entire audience groaned in unison as soon as Shyamalan's name came up. This seems to be a universal thing. :lol

...yeah. Mine too. People didn't seem too interested in the movie, then his name came up and people just lost their shit laughing. One guy even screamed "WHY ARE THEY EVEN LETTING THIS GUY STILL MAKE MOVIES!?!?!?!?" :lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Masked Man said:

Also, Vegan Police <3

IDK I'm of the weird opinion that he wasn't amazing as Scott, but he didn't bomb it either. Cera as Pilgrim was just totally passable, but that's about it. Thing is while his performance wasn't even close to stand out, it wasn't teribad that it ruined the movie. Honestly it was the supporting cast that was so good in this movie not the male and female leads.

It also helped that this movie was just so different and crazy film spectacle film wise that while obviously the better the performances would be nice they weren't totally needed persay.

I definitely want to see this one again, and I think my gf would go again too! :D

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just came back from the movie. Thought it was pretty good but I wish they added more character from the book to the movie. Also would of liked to see the Bionic arm. But other then that movie was boss.

M.Nights new movie looked horrible.

Zozz

Banned
Saw the movie in matinee and I have to say that this movie didn't do it for me and I'm glad I didn't pay more for it. Cera did a ok job but the whole movie was just too nerdgasmic for me. My gf liked it a bit more but I just couldn't get into it.

WordAssassin said:
I said this too, and I'm SURE that if Wright hadn't wanted ONLY American/Canadian actors, that's the exact cameo part they would have gotten.

What? That's the reason? Missing the opportunity for a probably great cameo because of that? The hell ...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Cosmic Bus said:
Is it okay to watch this before the movie itself (or even in lieu of, depending how I might react to it)?
Completely.

Also, Cera delivered that "awesome fight" line with the poise of Scott Pilgrim. Damn. That's exactly how I thought he would sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom