• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm going to hate this film if I see it but I really feel like seeing something in theaters this weekend (it's been a few weeks).

If it's 500 Days of Summer meets Superbad meets Juno meets Speed Racer meets Kick Ass (which is what pretty much everything I've read/seen points to) I will fucking murder someone.

big ander

The Interrobanger said:
I know I'm going to hate this film if I see it but I really feel like seeing something in theaters this weekend (it's been a few weeks).

If it's 500 Days of Summer meets Superbad meets Juno meets Speed Racer meets Kick Ass (which is what pretty much everything I've read/seen points to) I will fucking murder someone.
"If it's what I'm expecting it to be, which is something I hate and something that multiple people have confirmed it to be, I'M GOING TO BE ANGRY IT SUCCEEDED AT BEING WHAT IT'S TRYING TO BE AND BEING WHAT SO MANY PEOPLE LOVE!"
Dumbass.

The Interrobanger said:

Jeez, it's just a movie. Lighten up.

Mairu

The Interrobanger said:

If it's 500 Days of Summer meets Superbad meets Speed Racer meets Kick Ass (which is what pretty much everything I've read/seen points to) I will fucking murder someone.
I don't really think it is, the only similarity it shares with Superbad is Michael Cera, 500 Days of Summer is a completely different kind of movie, and while it is a comic book movie it isn't really a superhero movie like Kick-Ass. I definitely see the Speed Racer comparisons as far as visuals are concerned (Although Speed Racer was like an eyegasm, Scott Pilgrim is much more toned down)

DeathbyVolcano said:
I forget,
when did that happen in the movie? Kinda wish it was kept like how it was in the comics, the expression on Scott's face is priceless

They TOTALLY CHANGED IT like OH MY GOD but it's at some point when Scott's leaving the apartment. He says the first half, closes the door, opens it back up and says the other half.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

big ander said:
"If it's what I'm expecting it to be, which is something I hate and something that multiple people have confirmed it to be, I'M GOING TO BE ANGRY IT SUCCEEDED AT BEING WHAT IT'S TRYING TO BE AND BEING WHAT SO MANY PEOPLE LOVE!"
Dumbass.

You guys are the one's that love this shit and I'm the dumbass?

The fact that I feel like seeing a film in theaters, the visual effects look interesting and I always enjoy spotting the filming locations in local films (Toronto) are the reasons why I'd willingly throw money at this thing.

Chairhome

Inferno313 said:
The Other Guys over Inception, or even Toy Story 3? You crazy bro. :p
Well, genre specific movie of the year. Inception was great but I think its a little overrated. Toy story 3 is also great. Other Guys had me rolling from the start, and SPvTW was amazing and is like no other movie I've seen.

Mairu said:
I don't really think it is, the only similarity it shares with Superbad is Michael Cera, 500 Days of Summer is a completely different kind of movie, and while it is a comic book movie it isn't really a superhero movie like Kick-Ass. I definitely see the Speed Racer comparisons as far as visuals are concerned (Although Speed Racer was like an eyegasm, Scott Pilgrim is much more toned down)

I appreciated the visuals in Speed Racer and some of the action in Kick-Ass, so if it delivers on those fronts I'll be content. It's the writing I'm most concerned about.

DeathbyVolcano said:
...yes, yes you are. You have no idea what the movie is. You're an idiot.

Enlighten me.

Is it not: "Scott Pilgrim must defeat his new girlfriend's seven evil exes in order to win her heart." done in an over the top, comic book "style", nerd-gasmic fashion?

Mairu

The Interrobanger said:
I appreciated the visuals in Speed Racer and some of the action in Kick-Ass, so if it delivers on those fronts I'll be content. It's the writing I'm most concerned about.
I loved the movie but even if I hadn't seen it already I wouldn't think you should be concerned about the writing. Edgar Wright and Michael Bacall did a fantastic job of taking Scott Pilgrim and creating their own movie universe out of it. I mean, come on, concerned about Edgar Wright's writing? :(

andymcc

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
Is it not: "Scott Pilgrim must defeat his new girlfriend's seven evil exes in order to win her heart." done in an over the top, comic book "style", nerd-gasmic fashion?

that's generalizing and over-simplifying the film though.

The Interrobanger said:
Enlighten me.

...how is that at all like 500 Days of Summer, Juno, and Superbad? You're just baiting for a shitstorm, it's annoying.

The Interrobanger said:
Enlighten me.

Stop trying to figure out the film, just go see it. If you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. I would argue that you haven't seen anything like this though.

DeathbyVolcano said:
...how is that at all like 500 Days of Summer, Juno, and Superbad? You're just baiting for a shitstorm, it's annoying.
:lol

Common elements (some more than others):
- incredibly juvenile views of relationships/romance/life
- scripts that try to be hip, edgy and funny that come off as forced and unrealistic
- being nerdy is cool! being quirky is funny! being "indie" is a true representation of who I am! I like video games! I like The Smiths! I'm a virgin! Come on guys, love me because you can relate to me!
- Michael Cera (2/3)

AvidNobody said:
Stop trying to figure out the film, just go see it. If you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. I would argue that you haven't seen anything like this though.

I'm going to see it. I have no doubts it will be unique in many ways. I'm just voicing my desire for films that pander to the male under-30 ADD crowd to grow the fuck up.

500 Days of Summer fits those descriptors quite well, but I don't think Juno and Superbad have immature ideas about relationships; in fact, I think that those movies have some surprisingly poignant and insightful moments, even if the stylistic nature of the scripts is a turn-off for a lot of people.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
500 Days of Summer fits those descriptors quite well, but I don't think Juno and Superbad have immature ideas about relationships; in fact, I think that those movies have some surprisingly poignant and insightful moments, even if the stylistic nature of the scripts is a turn-off for a lot of people.

You've got to be kidding me. SUPERBAD has poignant ideas about relationships, and 500 Days doesn't? Luuuuuuuuulz.

andymcc

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:
just go see the expendables, certainly that movie holds true age-appropriate behavior by the core audience and cast. mmmhm.

i could smell the old milwaukee when i passed the expendables line.

harSon

Banned
He sort of does have a point though, there's no denying that Scott Pilgrim is from the same cut as films like (500) Days of Summer, Kickass, Juno, etc. and definitely appeals to the sensibilities of those film's core audiences. Having said that, I don't think that's necessarily a negative in itself, unless of course it clashes with your own personal tastes in entertainment.

Yeah, some of them are more guilty of others. Superbad was just dumb sex/toilet humor for the majority of the film, and Juno had a horrific script that unintentionally made it more realistic (kids who think they're "cool" trying too hard)

DeathbyVolcano said:
You've got to be kidding me. SUPERBAD has poignant ideas about relationships, and 500 Days doesn't? Luuuuuuuuulz.

500 Days is just a shitty film all around, and I think Superbad has moments of insight with regard to what it's like being an awkward virgin in the late stages of high school, wanting to hold on to your friends but knowing in your core that things will change, no matter how hard you try.

Edit: But I do see your points on those films nonetheless. Superbad is hilarious to me because I think that Cera and Hill both have good comedic timing, and while Juno's dialogue is, quite often, very suspect (because although I like the stylistic dialogue, I don't think that Diablo Cody is good at capturing what she wants to do with it), I think that there's a realistic, human story happening under it.

harSon

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:

500 Days of Summer's authenticity in terms of love, romance and relationships is seriously overstated. The only thing it has going for it along those lines is its emphasis on the 'breakup' aspect of dating, and its effect on a person, that is a rarity within the genre. But it still had the overly idealized hollywood-esque representation of romance that most romantic films suffer from.

harSon said:
He sort of does have a point though, there's no denying that Scott Pilgrim is from the same cut as films like (500) Days of Summer, Kickass, Juno, etc. and definitely appeals to the sensibilities of those film's core audiences. Having said that, I don't think that's necessarily a negative in itself, unless of course it clashes with your own personal tastes in entertainment.

Thanks, that's all I've really been trying to say. I've seen all those films and enjoyed them to a certain degree for various elements, but the one thing that keeps them all from being anything more than passable are the scripts/characters that are ripped straight from a NeoGAF's view of the world.

EDIT: It should be said that I'm a fairly well off, well adjusted dude who has a solid career, relationship and social life, which is why these borderline high-school drama stories don't do it for me.

Deku

Banned
The Interrobanger said:
:lol

Common elements (some more than others):
- incredibly juvenile views of relationships/romance/life
- scripts that try to be hip, edgy and funny that come off as forced and unrealistic
- being nerdy is cool! being quirky is funny! being "indie" is a true representation of who I am! I like video games! I like The Smiths! I'm a virgin! Come on guys, love me because you can relate to me!
- Michael Cera (2/3)

The heck? Juno has fairly mature take on relationships and the narrative is melancholy. She gave up the baby.

For the bolded part, you're on GAF. What is your idea or normalcy? Does it even exist?

I like these subculture films because they break down barriers about preceived normalcy. Neither Scott Pilgrim, or Juno are advocating anything bad. They are representing things that would otherwise get white washed by 'mainstream' stories.

500 Days is just a shitty film all around, and I think Superbad has moments of insight with regard to what it's like being an awkward virgin in the late stages of high school, wanting to hold on to your friends but knowing in your core that things will change, no matter how hard you try.

Edit: But I do see your points on those films nonetheless. Superbad is hilarious to me because I think that Cera and Hill both have good comedic timing, and while Juno's dialogue is, quite often, very suspect (because although I like the stylistic dialogue, I don't think that Diablo Cody is good at capturing what she wants to do with it), I think that there's a realistic, human story happening under it.

^^^ Perfect post.

The underlying theme throughout Juno about divorce and real love surpasses any terrible dialogue problems in my book.

cosmic bus i will be seeing this movie later on today and let you know how i felt. i know you have a very particular taste in films bu ti largely tend to agree with what you like

i'm surprised you're not interested in this but on the same hand i can see how off-putting and over-the-top the movie and scott pilgrim universe is that it might just be overload for you to the point of annoyance ;D

AvidNobody said:
^^^ Perfect post.

The underlying theme throughout Juno about divorce and real love surpasses any terrible dialogue problems in my book.

Pretty much. I almost think that, in spite of Diablo Cody's shittitness as a writer, the film actually really works as a comment on the inability of the 'hip as fuck' generation of today to deal with real world issues on their own terms; Juno is the character that mainly spews the hip/bad dialogue, and she ends up finding that her perceived wit is just a crutch, that it doesn't help her deal with the problems that she faces; she comes out the end of the movie a better, more mature person than she was in the beginning and has EARNED that change, and that's something of a rarity in films these days.

Chorazin

I love all the people who post, on NeoGAF, that Scott Pilgrim is too nerdy/geeky for them.

Stop hating yourself and embrace your inner geek!

Chorazin said:
I love all the people who post, on NeoGAF, that Scott Pilgrim is too nerdy/geeky for them.

Stop hating yourself and embrace your inner geek!

To that I would say stop telling yourself it's fun being a geek and start living.

My perception of GAF's population has really, really dwindled due to the lack of common sense and girl-age threads in the last few years...

It's not like we "enjoy being geeks". Hell, quite a bunch of posters on here are very far from a traditional "geek". We just like the things we like, Scott Pilgrim, for example.

Pretty much. I almost think that, in spite of Diablo Cody's shittitness as a writer, the film actually really works as a comment on the inability of the 'hip as fuck' generation of today to deal with real world issues on their own terms; Juno is the character that mainly spews the hip/bad dialogue, and she ends up finding that her perceived wit is just a crutch, that it doesn't help her deal with the problems that she faces; she comes out the end of the movie a better, more mature person than she was in the beginning and has EARNED that change, and that's something of a rarity in films these days.

So: "in spite of Diablo Cody's shittitness as a writer" she's actually a great writer? :lol :p

andymcc

Banned
Inferno313 said:
So: "in spite of Diablo Cody's shittitness as a writer" she's actually a great writer? :lol :p

i think what he's trying to say is that diablo cody created a story that is compelling and mature but she's awful at writing dialogue.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
GuitarAtomik said:
In my theater it was an almost unanimous collective sigh followed by laughter. Yeah, I think he's done.
I leaned over to the guy next to me, said "what you didn't know was....they were the aliens all along" and did the flat-hand plot twist gesture.

andymcc said:
i think what he's trying to say is that diablo cody created a story that is compelling and mature but she's awful at writing dialogue.

I know, it was just funny in my head. I don't think she's awful at writing dialoge though, I think it had it's purpose in that film. I haven't watched Jennifer's Body, but the director of that film didn't have the best track record. I'll wait until her next movie: "Young Adult" which is being directed by Jason Reitman again to pass judgement.

The Interrobanger said:
Enlighten me.

Read this review. Some minor spoilers but it gets to the heart of the film. I think it's better to go in to a movie without knowing much at all about it beyond whether it's good or not though.

The Interrobanger said:
To that I would say stop telling yourself it's fun being a geek and start living.

To that I would say "Stop pretending you're not a geek guy-who-posts-on-internet-videogame-forum."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom