• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DeathbyVolcano said:
I'm still that's absolutely a joke. You guys don't give Cera or Plaza enough credit. That's the kinda stuff the excel in.
I watched it again..... you might be right.

Dead

well not really...yet
DeathbyVolcano said:
Seriously, do you guys not remember Cera's faux outrage at Wright for a Knocked Up interview a couple years back? It's absolutely fake.
That was obviously fake + obviously planned.

This looks totally impromptu. id totally believe if it was real. Cera isn't that good of an actor.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
DeathbyVolcano said:
Seriously, do you guys not remember Cera's faux outrage at Wright for a Knocked Up interview a couple years back? It's absolutely fake.
That was a lot more obviously fake.

Berkoff

Banned
DeathbyVolcano said:

That knocked up video was way more obvious than this. This happened at the toronto premiere, towards the end she's not even talking into the microphone anymore, just shouting in his face. If this was a staged 'joke' don't you think it would look a little more organised and be you know... audible?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DeathbyVolcano said:
It's obviously not an elaborate stunt... just improv... But looking at it again, the interviewer says "Does Aubrey hate Michael Cera as much as Julie Powers hates Scott Pilgrim" and the whole thing is Aubrey riffing on that in a deadpan joke.

It's not like Cera is "in" on anything either.. he just keeps messing with her mic playfully since he knows she was talking about him.

our 10 out of 10 review is up!

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is the rare kind of a movie that makes you hopeful about the future of films. It’s filled to the brim with wit, humor, action, romance and comedy. It’s a seemingly perfect blend of everything you want from a movie going experience and it does with style, pizzaz and originality.

Zabka

Berkoff said:
That knocked up video was way more obvious than this. This happened at the toronto premiere, towards the end she's not even talking into the microphone anymore, just shouting in his face. If this was a staged 'joke' don't you think it would look a little more organised and be you know... audible?
wPh54.jpg

Einbroch

Banned
You can tell she's trying not to smile during the whole thing. :lol She constantly closes her mouth and forces a frown by moving her tongue around, covering a smile.

Deku said:
Do you hand those out like candy? Was Inception 100 out of 10?"

It's very rare we give out 10 out of 10s. A few a year. So far this year:

The Secret In Their Eyes
Inception
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
a movie in NYAFF called Confessions.

I'd give SP a 9 out of 10, but I completely agree with the other 2 I've seen.

harSon

Banned
Probably going to watch The Expendables and Scott Pilgrim in a double feature sometime Friday or this weekend. Hopefully I LOVE the latter or I fear I won't be able to really participate in this thread :/

Chorazin

OMFG IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING. Suck a bag of dicks Inception, Scott just KO'd you out of the running for my movie of the year!

Just...wow. It exceeded my wildest expectations by leaps and bounds. I'm actually thinking about seeing it again tomorrow!

And I actually liked the movie's final battle more than the comic's.....

Chorazin said:
OMFG IT WAS FUCKING AMAZING. Suck a bag of dicks Inception, Scott just KO'd you out of the running for my movie of the year!

Pretty much on the ball with my opinion. It was just so alive, and ungodly cinematic, and had so much fun with itself and did not give two fucking shits about anything other than being what it is.

This part probably got the most randomly loud burst of laughter out of me:

"We're going on at the same time? That's impossible!"
ACTUALLY NO

jtb

Banned
Is it wrong that the more I read about this film the more I realize I'm probably going to hate it? :lol :lol

harSon

Banned
the walrus said:
Is it wrong that the more I read about this film the more I realize I'm probably going to hate it? :lol :lol

Nope, but I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't like Michael Cera's performance as Scott Pilgrim. The Scott Pilgrim story, Edgar Wright and the supporting cast should be enough to balance that out though.

ampere

"WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB! ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!"

Loved it. First half was better because the comic fan in me liked it following the comics. The Edgar Wright fan in me loved the whole thing.

I had to pee so bad during the majority of the flick so the 'Pee Bar' and Steven 'peed pants' parts were awful for me :lol :lol :lol :lol

harSon said:
Nope, but I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't like Michael Cera's performance as Scott Pilgrim. The Scott Pilgrim story, Edgar Wright and the supporting cast should be enough to balance that out though.
I don't really like Cera, but it was sick. Go in with an open mind and you will like his performance. He's just a douchey as Scott Pilgrim should be

the walrus said:
harSon said:

Oh well, sucks for the both of you for judging a movie by reading upon it cause that's the whole point, right?

That said, I saw the movie and 1. Loved it ALOT; 2. Loved the crowd in the theatre.

If you're a gamer, you're going to love it. If you're a comic book fan, you're going to love it, if you are looking for a good action/comedy/love-flick, you're going to love it.

I can't find anything confusing or anything to hate about it. Atleast not yet.

Bit-Bit

Good god. I'm in love with a movie. I didn't think that would be possible. I just got back from watching it. Not a single person had anything bad to say about it.

Just got back from a midnight showing. Loved it! I'm gonna go see it again on Saturday. The only part I didn't like was the fight
with the twins.
Everything else was GOLDEN.

ampere

shagg_187 said:
Oh well, sucks for the both of you for judging a movie by reading upon it cause that's the whole point, right?

That said, I saw the movie and 1. Loved it ALOT; 2. Loved the crowd in the theatre.
Theater crowd near Atlanta was awesome :lol
During the shamalyanalam preview when it said his name everyone cracked up
And the (spoiler, funny one-liner)
"I have to pee on her"
line, holy shit :lol :lol

jtb

Banned
shagg_187 said:

I go into every movie with an open mind. I thought reviews were supposed to give insight into the movie? Well - they did, but they just seem to accentuate some of my fears about the project. Why the fuck would I go into a movie hoping to hate it anyways? That's just pissing away ten hard earned dollars.

ampere

El Pescado said:
Just got back from a midnight showing. Loved it! I'm gonna go see it again on Saturday. The only part I didn't like was the fight
with the twins.
Everything else was GOLDEN.
Yeah not to hate but the second half felt more rushed... oh well it still rocked. I guess why have a bloated feeling movie with a bunch about Scott's depression

ciaossu said:
"I have to pee on her"

Yeah, lots of funny moments! Exact same crowd reaction here in Toronto, and LOADS of Pligrim fans in crowd made it even more awesome.

It was great. There were many great touches.

Did you guys know: That when they are playing the DDR ninja game, when they make a bad move, it says "BAD." In reality, it actually says "B太D" The middle character means "fat" in Japanese, and I can presume Chinese as well, meaning that you are fat, so you cannot move fast enough to execute the moves in the game.

Anyway, I thought this was way better than the comics, but I may be in the minority. Ending was great. The girl playing Envy was super hot. My movie of the year, but to be fair, I just got back from living in Japan a week ago, so I haven't seen anything.

My favorite part was the
Bollywood
scene with Patel.

Also, the fight with the
twins was cool, because they fought with dragons. It only makes sense that Canadians would fight with their own mythical creature, the sasquatch.

vas_a_morir said:
My favorite part was the
Bollywood
scene with Patel.

I thought that was the worst part of the film, was I missing the point of it? Their fight was cool, but
the song and dance was awkwardly terrible.

ciaossu said:
"I have to pee on her"
That was such a fucking brilliant and perfect visual representation of what happens in my head when something like that comes out of my mouth, I laughed SO hard :lol :lol :lol

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
the walrus said:
they just seem to accentuate some of my fears about the project. Why the fuck would I go into a movie hoping to hate it anyways? That's just pissing away ten hard earned dollars.

This is pretty much why I won't be going to see the movie. I like Wright's previous work quite a bit, but the style, tone and general subject matter (and, yes, the audience) of Scott Pilgrim is like chewing on tinfoil. There's a slight chance I might enjoy it, but I'm not in the mood to spend money in order to find out when it's very, very likely those two hours will be excruciating for me.

Expendable. said:
I thought that was the worst part of the film, was I missing the point of it? Their fight was cool, but

That's why it is funny. Of course it is bad and awkward, by design.

Expendable. said:
That's the point. In the book it comes out of fucking nowhere at the very end. It's supposed to kind of jump-start the whole idea of "Ok, you've met this kid and his friends, they might seem normal, but his life is anything but."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom