• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Charred Greyface said:
It was awesome. I took a newbie who had never heard of Scott pilgrim before this week and she got the video game references and loved the fights. Everyone was perfectly cast but I can see some issues with Cera. He looked like Scott, he acted like Scott, but he sounded like Cera. Now I've been voicing the character in my head for years so I have my own ideas on how Scott should sound but nothing Cera muttered gave me the impression of a Toronto accent (I don't know what a Toronto accent sounds like anyway). But no matter, I got over it after the first half hour. The sound effects were amazing, even more so than the visual effects (which felt overdone, especially towards the end). Videogames music is deeply embedded in my head. The comic was reasonably well adapted given that the 'real' ending wasn't available when filming started. They picked the wrong female character to develop and contrast with Ramona but the Knives storyline wasn't too incongruous (nor was the band subplot too bad). Love the actress. Love them all actually even the cameo by that guy from Hung. Theatter part of the film reminded me less of Scort Pilgrim an more of No More Heroes. I'll see it again when it's out on video.
Cera is from Ontario (the province where Toronto is).. So he has whatever accent that is supposed to be. You shouldn't expect a strong accent from most Canadians.. It kinda sounds like the generic English they use in Hollywood flicks... Maybe with lil hint of "aboot" in there.

Belfast

Oh well. The good thing is that if it bombs, you won't have to worry about waiting for a sequel just to get the rest of the story, right?

SleazyC

Went in with little to no background of the movie and was blown away by it.

10:40PM showing was almost totally empty though. Will be disappointing if this movie bombs but I hope it at least gets some consideration for a sequel based off critic reviews.

Wow this movie was so awesome, i'm a big comic book fan but for some reason never picked up scott pilgrim. I was totally blown away, i thought i was gonna be turned off by the hipsterish style of the movie but this was great.

sadly, it will still lose in the box office to the expendables...

zumphry

Banned
Loved the movie, and I'm definitely going to get the comics soon so I can appreciate both (have been debating getting them for a while).

Anyone notice Comeau's line changing from
"Their second album was good, but their first one was better"
to
"The movie was good, but the comics were better
? :lol

ZayneH said:
Loved the movie, and I'm definitely going to get the comics soon so I can appreciate both (have been debating getting them for a while).

to

I was actually the only one in the theater who seemed to have caught it and laughed.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Empty theater here.

But oh God did I love this movie. It was pure fun. Just... fun and some random. It was just.. fun.

Loved the "Reversal" there in the initial scenes of the movie :lol :lol (SF fan here)

ezekial45

Banned
Saw it again, and I loved it even more the second time. The theater I was in was pretty crowded and there was a large line for the showing afterward.

I'm fearing for the movie though. It deserves so much better than bomb at the BO.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is the
wilderness retreat Wallace forces Scott to go on, and neggatoscott or whatever his name is
in the movie? I was curious cause I heard they got rid of some of the Scott/Kim side story.

enzo_gt said:
Is the
wilderness retreat Wallace forces Scott to go on, and neggatoscott or whatever his name is
in the movie? I was curious cause I heard they got rid of some of the Scott/Kim side story.

Nope. There is
Mega Scott
though.

I'm sitting in the middle of a power outage here in Toronto. This better not be anything major. Don't want to miss Pilgrim tomorrow.

zumphry

Banned
Gooster said:
I was actually the only one in the theater who seemed to have caught it and laughed.

Yeah, it kinda sucked for me when I laughed at a joke and people didn't catch them (I was in a theater with about ~15 people).

Also loved the
Sasquatch during the twin fight, and the whole gearing up sequence with Scott stopping to tie his shoes. :lol

Oh, and
"I have to pee on her." :lol

Definitely will try to catch it again this weekend.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Movie was so fucking good.

Best movie all year. That's all I'm gonna say.

Besides the stupid ass theater being fucking morons and cutting off the outer edge where a lot of the text was. Get the right fucking aspect ratio, fucking assholes.

enzo_gt said:
Is the

I think the film references that Scott and Kim dated, but all the backstory from the book is pretty much gone. Scott and Kim don't really have the kind of relationship in the film that the books explore. Mr. Chau and Lisa aren't even in the film. As nice as it would have been to see them, I am actually okay with it.

KilgoreTrout said:
Best movie all year. That's all I'm gonna say.

Besides the stupid ass theater being fucking morons and cutting off the outer edge where a lot of the text was. Get the right fucking aspect ratio, fucking assholes.

Actually, we had that problem, too. Stuff was either cut off or way tucked away at the corners.

-Mikey-

Wow Wow Wow! Just got back and had a great time! The audience was perfect. The theater I went to actually had the showing in one of the smaller theaters that we have here which was a little surprising I thought. Seemed like a lot of the people in the audience had some experience with the comic which was great.:D I can't wait to tell everyone I know about and drag some friends along for some more viewings. <3 Knives:D :D

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Ouch for the box office numbers. Maybe the WOM will carry it, but I just didn't see a good market for this movie.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Gooster said:
I think the film references that Scott and Kim dated, but all the backstory from the book is pretty much gone. Scott and Kim don't really have the kind of relationship in the film that the books explore. Mr. Chau and Lisa aren't even in the film. As nice as it would have been to see them, I am actually okay with it.

Actually, we had that problem, too. Stuff was either cut off or way tucked away at the corners.

Yeah I noticed that some of the text on the left hand side of the screen got cutoff.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Everyone in my theater laughed at M Night's name, too.

I'm a little confused... Why exactly is it universally funny? (I think I get the joke, I guess I just wouldn't expect the rest of the world to? Maybe I don't, though.)

Usually projectionists are so lazy and just set a standard aspect ratio. Fucking annoying that Scott Pilgrim is one of the only films that you actually notice things are cut off. Considering its happening with nearly every film you see in theaters.

Dacvak said:
Everyone in my theater laughed at M Night's name, too.

I'm a little confused... Why exactly is it universally funny? (I think I get the joke, I guess I just wouldn't expect the rest of the world to? Maybe I don't, though.)

He has become a laughing stock since The Last Airbender, The Happening and Lady In The Water are three of the worst Hollywood films ever made.

Dacvak

Expendable. said:
He has become a laughing stock since The Last Airbender, The Happening and Lady In The Water are three of the worst Hollywood films ever made.
Fair enough. :lol :lol :lol

Just saw it and loved it. I just finished the series so I went in with that fresh in my head. I missed some of the deeper aspects of Scott's relationships with Ramona and his friends but I was very pleased with the adaptation. The theater was packed and everybody was really into it.

We also had people hekle the shit out of the M. Night trailer. Studios need to stop putting his name in front of movies. It doesn't sell like it used to.

I thought it was pretty disappointingly bad. First half was cool and pretty good. Then pretty much after the 2nd fight it became pretty boring.

Rahxephon91 said:
I thought it was pretty disappointingly bad. First half was cool and pretty good. Then pretty much after the 2nd fight it became pretty boring.

Really? The Routh stuff is amazing and so is the finale. I really liked the summon battle too, which I didn't on first viewing.

ultron87

There were so many great little touches and random movie making tomfoolery.

For example,
the Seinfeld lead-in and laugh track for that one scene.
It was random and amazing.

And the scene transitions were incredible.

Expendable. said:
Really? The Routh stuff is amazing and so is the finale. I really liked the summon battle too, which I didn't on first viewing.
I thought his scene was patricily weak. We saw glimpses of them trying to inject some sort of 80's action movie one liner's type parody in his scene ,but it never really developed as far as it could, so it wasn't that funny. The fight it self was not exciting and they didn't really show Scott do much. The way he beat him, some may find funny ,but I found to be pretty lame.

Same goes for the fight with Mr Routh, and the bi-girl. Random things that weren't exactly funny or that unripe were used to defeat them. I guess my sense of humor just doesn't fit this movie. This move were they just throw random references in to be cool and funny ,but don't really belong or have anything to really do with thats going on. As a geek I just couldn't get into it. I like more subtle references that aren't so seemingly random. I myself really enjoyed Hot Fuss and Shaun.

I didn't dislike Cera or the cast, they were find. Cera was great. He played the character very well. There were a lot of nuances in his acting. But no one else really stood out, maybe because I just don't have any history with the characters.

As for visuals. Yes they look cool and yes they are interesting. But they aren't really unique. They ripped straight out of anime and video games and nothing interesting was done with them. I just don't find "hey its that move from Street Fighter you get it" as funny.

I feel like the 2nd half was extremely rushed with lots of things glossed over.

That said I do want to see it again, but I'll wait until it comes out on Blu ray or something.

ZayneH said:

to

You were not the only one.

My entire theater caught it and cracked up.

thetechkid

Comeau's line change was funny, but barley anyone caught it when I saw it except for my group. Also M.Night's name alone made the entire theater crack up. :lol

Movie was great, didn't mind the changes, and will buy the Blu-Ray for multiple viewings when it comes out.

Rahxephon91 said:

Rahxephon91
I have bad taste.
(Today, 02:05 AM)
Reply | Quote

I have to agree with your tag. :lol

OH WOW WAS THIS GOOD! I took a group of 15 people, we all went crazy for it! I had high expectations after the books but it smashed 'em. It's literally a perfect adaptation; I couldn't imagine it being better in any way.

Scarecrow

This film has a weird aspect ratio. I'm a projectionist at my theater and we use digital projectors. Usually, all you have to do is load up the hard drive for the movie and it works perfectly. When I watched the film, the only things I caught being cut off were a few words and [a certain character's] life bar. Looks like it wasn't just my theater having the problem, which is good to know. It's not my fault this time! :lol

zumphry

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
You were not the only one.

My entire theater caught it and cracked up.

I wanna go to that show please. Too bad 1-Ups don't actually exist. :lol

It's about 3 hours since I stopped watching the movie, and I just can't stop thinking about it. Little things that I noticed, or jokes. It's a really great movie, and I really need to get the comics to get more Scott Pilgrim.

One of the best movies this year for me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
saw this today.

never read the comic or anything about Scott Pilgrim before.

This was super-cool. Edgar Wright is a genius.

Einbroch

Banned
Just got back from it.

People are saying this is bomba? Really? My theater, a 11:50 PM showing, was PACKED. There were maybe eight open seats?

Great movie, my girlfriend really enjoyed it, something I was quite surprised about.

Pachinko

I give it ole' ebert trademarked 2 thumbs up for sure.

I just read all 6 books for the first and only time 2 weeks ago so I knew what I was getting into, what made the cut translated to the screen awesomely and what was changed still worked. I just had a fun time from beginning to end.

btrick

So strange. I've been pouring myself into all the scott pilgrim stuff constantly for the last couple weeks with reading then rereading the books, the videogame, all the hype, the videoblogs, etc etc. i thought i spoiled the whole experience since i had a pretty good idea what i was getting into..

BOY was i wrong. I haven't had that great of a time at the movie theatre in awhile!

I mean, Inception was damn amazing.. but nothing is better than a great laugh

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I caught the 10pm show yesterday and this was an awesome funny movie of this year. I totally heart Wallace he is the MAN! The "bed" scenes were so funny. Excellent movie and by farnthe best comic book/video game movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom