• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olivero

If you like video games, see this movie. So funtastic. Yes, a combination of both fun and being fantastic.

But seriously, see this movie.

CrimsonN0 said:
Well, I saw the movie yesterday and really liked it.
The "battle of the bands" thing and the music actually pumped me up more than the fights did.

Also, in this interview it's mentioned that all the actors were given 10 secret facts about their characters, anyone actually manage to find them out?
Apparently, all of the Stephen Stills and Kim Pine at least ended up in the comic, but Aubrey Plaza says one of her character's secrets didn't make it for the movie or the comic:
Julie Powers was in love with Scott.

I really want to know all of those characters' secrets. I know Scott's number one secret is that
all of this is a sort of re-telling of is own life in his head.

ezekial45

Banned
SketchTheArtist said:
I really want to know all of those characters' secrets. I know Scott's number one secret is that
all of this is a sort of re-telling of is own life in his head.

Thats actually a pretty brilliant way to describe the movie. It makes me appreciate it a bit more.

ezekial45 said:
Thats actually a pretty brilliant way to describe the movie. It makes me appreciate it a bit more.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool. I can't remember which interview it was said, but it said that his huge consumptions of movies, games plus his ADD-type of nature and his wild imagination contributed to this.

animlboogy said:
Everything I'm reading talks about the tracking being so down because females have lost interest over time due to the marketing. I wasn't a fan of many of the TV spots, but I still wonder why that is? There's something very feminine about this movie to me, and the Scott Pilgrim series itself. It feels weird that my take on that seems to be so off. Maybe the videogame-y nonsense was played up too much? In the comics, it was just kind of there. I never had the impression that it was the most important feature of the series... Maybe the advertising pushes it that way?

Fuck that "Twilight for boys" nonsense, too. Scott isn't with idealized women, helpless without them. They're full of flaws besides just "do they love Scott... ENOUGH?"

I guess if you want to get overanalytical about it, maybe some women were put off at how the female leads, save for Stacey Pilgrim, are portrayed as psychotic, angry, bitchy, full of baggage and withdrawn, any combination of those, although all for the sake of comedy. After all, it's not like any of the male leads exercise logic or strong thinking in any way.

This might be a stretch, but honestly, I kind of felt the film played down the videogame references a little bit. They were there, obviously, but I guess because they're also there in your face in a stationary comic panel it feels more present whereas the movie has to progress and keep going whether you're following or not.

Takao

Banned
The problem with the TV spots are that a lot of them are so ridiculous that out of the context of the film that they just seem so off putting. Like the whole Scott bailing out on Knives thing, or the one with the constant sayings that Wallace is gay.

Although having seen the film, I'd have no idea how to market it properly to the mainstream, other than just rolling off a plot synopsis (which one of the TV spots do IIRC).

animlboogy said:
Maybe I read the comic differently (which just happens in that medium for the reasons you stated), but I felt the opposite. The game references all seems like strange moments that were serving the plot here and there in an unconventional way, especially with how things were drawn, while it struck me as a lot more ridiculous and part of the look and feel in the film. In a good way! The film was kind of shrill to me, while the simple art made the same scenes in the comic a lot more subdued.

I understand completely and agree. In the end it's just how we interpret the material. :)

projekt84

I just thought it was a good movie. Obviously they couldn't stuff 6 volumes of content in it, but it was good.

Everyone should see it.

Gooster said:
I guess if you want to get overanalytical about it, maybe some women were put off at how the female leads, save for Stacey Pilgrim, are portrayed as psychotic, angry, bitchy, full of baggage and withdrawn, any combination of those, although all for the sake of comedy. After all, it's not like any of the male leads exercise logic or strong thinking in any way.

Yeah, but none of the male characters, like you said, are exemplary male role models. They all have their own flaws; hell, most of them aren't even above average. So that's not a good reason to not watch Scott Pilgrim. Women and men were both represented accurately; they can be wise, forgiving, bitchy, angry, smart, dumb, and the rest of the spectrum of how we feel and act.

Einbroch said:
I died laughing at the
high five
. My friend had to tell me to stop laughing. :lol

As mentioned before, the absolute highlight of that film for me. :lol

Although I listened to the soundtrack like three times before seeing the movie, I was still cracking up at "I Am Sad, So Very Very Sad."

The girl playing Kim Pine was awesome, I have a crush on her after watching this movie.
"We are Sex Bob-omb. We're here to make money and sell out and stuff."

Watched it last night, I felt the movie was pretty good overall. The first half was amazing, the first 3 exes fights were really well done and is very accurate.
The latter half however was very rushed and kind of a disapointment. I really felt the movie could have used a good extra 45 minutes so everything didn't seem so rushed.
I didn't like Gidheon's
"hey we got no beef lets be friends"
attitude, it kind of ruined the build-up to the fight.

farnham

Banned
Somehow the whole story reminds me of solanin. I dont know why.

VisionaryQuest0 said:
The girl playing Kim Pine was awesome, I have a crush on her after watching this movie.
"We are Sex Bob-omb. We're here to make money and sell out and stuff."
Thats great to hear. Kim Pine is one of the more likeable characters in the original

Snaku said:
Saw the trailer. I have so very little desire to see this film. =/
My friend said the same thing; he saw the trailer and thought it looked stupid. But I got him and his girlfriend to come with us and they were so glad they did. He thought it was the most enjoyable movie of the year. Seriously, check it out. You (probably) won't be disappointed.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
farnham said:
thats interesting cuz i hated how envy was drawn in the original

she remeinded me of a horse more then anything :lol :lol
It kind of should

Funky Papa said:
Did somebody notice that Envy Adams is based on Metric's Emily Haines?

2517865262_a35edb6b15_o.jpg

emily-haines.jpg
envyadams.jpg

From the legs to the chin. Both of them play a mean keyboard, too.

stupei

People hoping that the laughter that followed M Night's name is a sign that he is finally washed up shouldn't get too attached to the idea. His name's been getting loud laughter in New York City theaters since trailers for Lady in the Water, and he's still making movies.

But maybe the scorn has finally become universal enough for his films to actually bomb with mainstream America?

Dechaios said:
Oh man.. before the movie when the M Night Shyamalan's new trailer played.. the audience erupted into laughter when they saw his name.
In our theater, everyone groaned and one guy yelled DAMNIT! and then everyone laughed.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Loved it, found pretty much all the changes to be totally acceptable to fit within the timeframe.

Scott Pilgrim is also the kid of story you could make a pretty badass TV show out of, I think

Acid08

Banned
Archurro said:
Anyone else expect
Simon Pegg and Nick Frost
as the vegan police? I was severely disappointed with that lack of cameo.
That would have been incredible but I still laughed my ass off when I saw
Thomas Jane
there.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Scarecrow said:
This film has a weird aspect ratio. I'm a projectionist at my theater and we use digital projectors. Usually, all you have to do is load up the hard drive for the movie and it works perfectly. When I watched the film, the only things I caught being cut off were a few words and [a certain character's] life bar. Looks like it wasn't just my theater having the problem, which is good to know. It's not my fault this time! :lol

My theatre cleaved off a significant portion of the bottom of the film :/

Someone had a life bar?!

I woke up this morning and now I really want to see the movie again. So many good moments in the film.

I think it's my favorite of the year so far, as well.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Stumpokapow said:
My theatre cleaved off a significant portion of the bottom of the film :/

Someone had a life bar?!
At least you didn't notice the life bars. My projectionist didn't have the projector properly positioned and I could see the start of the life bar but not the end.

Carnby

bigosc2k said:
Was I the only one who felt the double dragon reference flew over their heads when the Katayanagi twin scene happen, my friend said the reference to double dragon was because one of the twin had their hair black and the other had their hair blonde, so was I the only one that who missed that connection?

i missed that reference. but thanks for pointing that out.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Great movie, but it slows down after the third fight.
Understandable though, as the movie tries to stick with the source material for that period and then has to deviate after that.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
don't let it get you down. i just can't get invested in box office numbers when the average moviegoer actively pursues some of the claptrap they do; set your expectations low, low, low, because the majority of people in this world prefer eat pray love to scott pilgrim, just like most people in this world prefer everybody loves raymond to party down, and so on. i just find myself completely nonplussed by how shitty some people's taste can be. that said, i have trouble feeling malicious about it, because my mom and dad are exactly these people, and are loving life more than a lot of people i know, so what do you do? if anything, people like us, who actually understand and enjoy a movie like scott pilgrim, are the minority, and so maybe we should be the ones who are jeered.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
As long as I got a great film already in the bag, I couldn't care less if it does toy Story 3 numbers or Scott pilgrim numbers. Shit happens, a great film will squeak out beneath the shitpile every once in a while, no mater how much money the last one made.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
SpeedingUptoStop said:
As long as I got a great film already in the bag, I couldn't care less if it does toy Story 3 numbers or Scott pilgrim numbers. Shit happens, a great film will squeak out beneath the shitpile every once in a while, no mater how much money the last one made.

absolutely.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Like, cross my fingers, hope for the word of mouth best here, but at the end of the day, the movie still came out, and that's more than you can say for a lot of Scott Pilgrim like ideas for films that never get made because they're not financially viable. I felt like I got a film that was made to it's maximum ability and I can't really ask for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom