• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Takao said:
Those are some brutal estimates given that it has to have had a decent sized budget. Yeash.

Also, for TorontoGAF, I also did see it at Scotiabank.

:(

Apparently the budget was $60 Million, I believe.

Jintor

Ooooh, if this falls, i'mma be so pissed...

Listening to Clash at Demonhead (Metric)'s "Black Sheep" atm. It's awesome, but I really wanted to hear "Under Water Motor Scooter".

Takao said:
Those are some brutal estimates given that it has to have had a decent sized budget. Yeash.

Also, for TorontoGAF, I also did see it at Scotiabank.

:(

Was Scotiabank packed? I'm going to the 1:20 showing there tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Calcaneus said:
I think I'll just catch this on blu ray. I'm interested in it, but I can wait like 3 months for the home release.

unless you're someone for whom getting there is just a ridiculous rigmarole, it's very worth your time to see in theaters. it's the most impressive movie i've seen this year, off the top of my head, deftly striking a great balance between the action and humor, while having consistently "believable" (in their context) effects and performers knocking it out of the park with every line that comes out of their mouths.

but i live three minutes from a theater. i usually have a couple of hours a day that i have no obligations or plans. i can scrounge together $5 in quarters from my couch.

Just say the film and holy shit it was incredible.

Cera is actually good in the role as he expands beyond Evan from Superbad.

Wong literally made Knives come to life.

In fact they nailed down pretty much everybody except Scott's sister.

The directing and presentation were just out of belief for this film.

And the comedy was hilarious. There's only been two movies I've ever watched in theater that constantly had me laughing out loud, Tropic Thunder and this.

So far I've seen Toy Story 3, Inception, and this during the summer "blockbuster" season. And Scott Pilgrim wins so far hands down. Will buy the Blu-Ray.

harSon said:
Twilight and Eclipse were actually decent films though. They were by no means excellent but they're not nearly as bad as some people want them to be. New Moon was absolute trash though.

I haven't seen Eclipse so I can't judge from that but other wise I agree 10,000 percent. Twilight was actually a quality film. Definitely not great, but it was definitely entertaining. It just seems that GAF loves getting on the hate train with everything. "ZOMG a girl movie teh terriblez1!!!1!!!!"

New Moon deserves all the hate it gets though.

jett said:
I guess those trackers weren't far off. Bomba.

Can't say I'm surprised. There were more or less only 12 other people in the theater besides me. And I saw it at the showtime right before the nighttime price spike. Man this film has "cult classic" written all over it.

Also, I was paying more attention this time to find a single sequence that wasn't spot on perfect. Couldn't find one.

While it certainly glossed over a lot from the book, I think it's been missed a lot that the things it does take from the book are spot on perfectly rendered. It dawned on me as Scott was looking for Ramona at the party that this comic from this dude I met like seven years ago at SPX had not only been perfectly rendered into film, but had at its core inspired another equally audacious and charming work of art. It's pretty fucking unbelievable that the thread carried through so strongly, and that it in turn had led Wright to do such awesome things of his own conceiving.

As someone for whom the books mean a whole lot on a lot of levels, the whole movie is just a pretty astonishing achievement.

Takao

Banned
Yeash, Universal is having a hideous year. I guess all this means is more Mummy movies
, and a Jurassic Park remake.

DoctorWho said:
Was Scotiabank packed? I'm going to the 1:20 showing there tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

I actually went to the 1:20 screening today, haha. Decent sized audience. I'd say get there a bit early if you don't want to be seated in the bottom rows.

Everyone laughed when that trailer for that Elevator movie showed M. Night's name...

I just got back from seeing it a second time and realized something small but interesting.

In the movie Scott says that he's 22 years old, which is Michael Cera's actual age. Also Knives was ranting about Ramona to her friend and says she's probably like 25 or something, which is Mary Elizabeth Winstead's actual age.

Fun fact.

beelzebozo said:
but i live three minutes from a theater. i usually have a couple of hours a day that i have no obligations or plans. i can scrounge together $5 in quarters from my couch.

$5 for a ticket? damn son

Takao said:
Yeash, Universal is having a hideous year. I guess all this means is more Mummy movies

I actually went to the 1:20 screening today, haha. Decent sized audience. I'd say get there a bit early if you don't want to be seated in the bottom rows.

Everyone laughed when that trailer for that Elevator movie showed M. Night's name...

I tend to like to get to the theatre at least an hour before. I don't think I'll have any issues. Can't wait to see this!

I'm also curious about this trailer. :lol

Calcaneus

beelzebozo said:
unless you're someone for whom getting there is just a ridiculous rigmarole, it's very worth your time to see in theaters. it's the most impressive movie i've seen this year, off the top of my head, deftly striking a great balance between the action and humor, while having consistently "believable" (in their context) effects and performers knocking it out of the park with every line that comes out of their mouths.

Its more of an issue of I can't find anyone to go with me. The people I usually go with want to see the Expendables instead. I may have to just go it alone.

Takao said:

Despicable Me is making tons of bank though and that only cost around $60m. MacGruber didn't cost much, but it bombed. Robin Hood ended up evening out (although I'm sure it costs more than reported).

Crazylegs

Here in London, Ontario (O'Malley's home town!), the theatre was PACKED tonight! The audience loved the movie - my son and I included. The characters, the tone, the everything - Wright & Company nailed it, I think. Now if the Mayor would just declare O'Malley Day...

Takao said:

You could definitely hear some chuckles in mine.

Expendable. said:
Despicable Me is making tons of bank though and that only cost around $60m. MacGruber didn't cost much, but it bombed. Robin Hood ended up evening out (although I'm sure it costs more than reported).

You must remember that theater doesn't make up a majority of film revenue. The majority of revenue is made through home movie sales, then TV broadcasting (I.E. HBO, Cable Channels, etc.), then theater.

Flying_Phoenix said:

The word is getting out. People are laughing at the laughing now. It's weird though because the trailer was before every movie I've seen this summer since Cyrus. They're clearly aware of the joke and they're flooding screenings with it.

Flying_Phoenix said:

You must remember that theater doesn't make up a majority of film revenue. The majority of revenue is made through home movie sales, then TV broadcasting (I.E. HBO, Cable Channels, etc.), then theater.

Right, but a huge majority is also theater and its a big factor when it comes for Universal to finance films (like the upcoming massive $200m Battleship)

Expendable. said:
Right, but a huge majority is also theater and its a big factor when it comes for Universal to finance films (like the upcoming massive $200m Battleship)

No, theater is in no way a majority of revenue. It's third in rank in revenue for film.

I don't mean to sound stubborn but I'm positive about this. I clearly remember studying and learning about this in class.

AniHawk

Flying_Phoenix said:
Can't say I'm surprised. There were more or less only 12 other people in the theater besides me. And I saw it at the showtime right before the nighttime price spike. Man this film has "cult classic" written all over it.

Weird. Our place was packed and I counted at least 3 cosplayers, and at least a dozen people wearing Scott Pilgrim shirts.

KHarvey16

Loved it, and it's in serious contention with Inception and Winter's Bone for my favorite this year. Theater was just a couple seats from sold out, and my audience had the exact reaction others are describing when the M Night trailer came on. Absolutely hilarious.

Greatest comic book adaptation I've ever seen. And yeah, unfortunately, the theater wasn't filled at all, especially for a Friday. Everyone enjoyed it though.

Pappasman

As soon as M night's name was on the screen during the trailer for Devil the entire theater laughed.

Seriously one of my favorite movies ever. I felt like the ending of the movie was way better than the series.

The FF2 bass line and all the zelda music in the beginning was just magical. so awesome.

Just got back from it. I wanted to preface tonight's experience with two things:

1) Fuck you, Moviefone. The motherfucker listed a 10:30 show time, and when we got there and got our ticket the show had actually begun at 10PM. Fuck you. So yeah, we missed the first half hour even though I was able to (presumably) fill in that gap for my friends.

2) Since we got there late, a lot of the seats were filled up. Packed house. The only three seats available, and I end up sitting next to this 600-pound fuckfaced PRICK who had to be the ghetto motherfucker to LOUDLY comment on EVERY LINE, ACTION, SCENE, WHATEVER. At one point, he actually had the motherfucking audacity to tell his kid to shut up and watch the movie and then followed it up with some stupid comment about one of the exes. He not only didn't even turn the ringer on his BlackBerry off, but he ANSWERED the PHONE. I probably wouldn't be so pissed off about it if I were at Predators or something, but I'd been looking forward to Scott Pilgrim vs. The World for weeks. Fucking theater douche bags. It's like he exists to be annoying.

[/rage]

Despite missing half an hour's worth and sitting next to that piece of shit (who fucking needs to bathe--fuck, he smelled), fantastic fucking movie. My friends, who didn't know what Scott Pilgrim was until I asked them to see it with me, fucking loved it. I can understand people's issues about the rushed pacing, and yet I felt certain events from the book worked into the movie paid off well
(like how they worked in Knives vs. Ramona, for instance)

My favorite part in that entire film:

The vegan police and the awesome Thomas Jane cameo. Now I understand why the high-fiving part some folks mentioned was so fucking hilarious.

daegan

I almost feel bad for my friends for how bad I'm harassing all of them to see it. We took up a row and a half in the theatre last night. I'm seeing it again Sunday too. Doing my part!

ultron87

God damn that was awesome.

My two friends who had never had any exposure to the comics and barely play games also loved it.

One of them was like "What is this movie about again?" about five minutes before it started. And she adored the film.

Will see again.

Ketchup Boy

Saw it. Wasn't interested in seeing it whatsoever, but I saw it was doing good in Rotten Tomatoes and so was like whatever. And it turned out this movie was delightful! lol It was like a video game and had sweet fighting scenes. And the guy who played Super Man was there. lol "you once were a vegone, now you will begone" hahaha it was nice. And Knives was sooooo cute. lol I know a lot of nerdy white guys will like her character! :D I want a Chinese girlfriend, yo!

Sallokin

Just got back. Loved it. It's like they made a movie just for me, but then I looked at all my friends and they were laughing at the same stuff I was. Totally awesome.

It was okay. Definitely my least favorite Edgar Wright film, but it wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

I enjoy video games (obviously, since I'm on GAF), but I've never been very big into the video game subculture. Because of that, I don't think I was capable of appreciating it as much as many people here. Still, it's a solid film, and I certainly felt like I got my money's worth.

Blackhead

Redarse
It was awesome. I took a newbie who had never heard of Scott pilgrim before this week and she got the video game references and loved the fights. Everyone was perfectly cast but I can see some issues with Cera. He looked like Scott, he acted like Scott, but he sounded like Cera. Now I've been voicing the character in my head for years so I have my own ideas on how Scott should sound but nothing Cera muttered gave me the impression of a Toronto accent (I don't know what a Toronto accent sounds like anyway). But no matter, I got over it after the first half hour. The sound effects were amazing, even more so than the visual effects (which felt overdone, especially towards the end). Videogames music is deeply embedded in my head. The comic was reasonably well adapted given that the 'real' ending wasn't available when filming started. They picked the wrong female character to develop and contrast with Ramona but the Knives storyline wasn't too incongruous (nor was the band subplot too bad). Love the actress. Love them all actually even the cameo by that guy from Hung. Theatter part of the film reminded me less of Scort Pilgrim an more of No More Heroes. I'll see it again when it's out on video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom