• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
XiaNaphryz said:
Understandable though, as the movie tries to stick with the source material for that period and then has to deviate after that.

Figures. Never even heard of Scott Pilgrim before GAF posted the trailer.

the box office projections for this are heartbreaking.

Quite sad. I felt like the movie was fresh and something new than the other boring crap out there.

I loved the Link to the Past music. :lol

Future

andymcc said:
the box office projections for this are heartbreaking.

But expected. Trailers were terrible. I'm a pretty geeky guy, posting at GAF and all. Yet somehow I wasnt even interested (I knew nothing about Scott Pilgrim till the trailer). In fact, I was hatin all the way up till released, and even now am shocked that people are liking it. If they cant convince me, its pretty much doomed. You know chicks and families arent gonna bring in the sales

I'll probably see it tonight anyway cuz of the great reviews and word of mouth

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Quite sad. I felt like the movie was fresh and something new than the other boring crap out there.

even if this had done ridiculous, huge numbers, nothing will ever change the fact that most people have crappy taste a la beelzebozo parents, and most films will be shitty, formulaic, repetitive bullshit. this will never change.

it's a necessity in art that there must be chaff for there to be wheat.

Watched it last night, awesome stuff and was a good interpretation of the comic. Emily Wong is so damn adorable in the movie.

And I think I was the only one in the theater who laughed at the "jetpack" joke. :lol

SpudBud

Just got back, I really loved it. The really nailed it...well except for the lack of Kim but what are going to do.

Am I the only one who thought the movie's ending was better then comic's?

I can't say I'm shocked that the film isn't doing gangbuters. Not only is it up against The Expendables, but most of the target audience has such an unreasonable hatred for Michael Cera that they're practically repelled from the theater. Seriously, watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look of the game was painful. They just could NOT see it as anything more than a marketing vehicle.

onegoodlogan said:
I can't say I'm shocked that the film isn't doing gangbuters. Not only is it up against The Expendables, but most of the target audience has such an unreasonable hatred for Michael Cera that they're practically repelled from the theater. Seriously, watching Giant Bomb's Quick Look of the game was painful. They just could NOT see it as anything more than a marketing vehicle.

Well...I wouldn't necessarily call it unreasonable...

LOL I'm amazed that studios still haven't gotten the clue that Cera is pretty much poison for the Box Office. If AD movie gets made don't be surprised if they advertise him as little as possible.

Movie was fantastic though, but eh I honestly wouldn't mind if he disappeared for a while.

donkey show said:
And I think I was the only one in the theater who laughed at the "jetpack" joke. :lol
Same here. :lol I think it was also because it was during a sort of sentimental moment/scene, but I remember cracking up at the joke in the comic :lol

derFeef

Discotheque said:
LOL I'm amazed that studios still haven't gotten the clue that Cera is pretty much poison for the Box Office. If AD movie gets made don't be surprised if they advertise him as little as possible.

Movie was fantastic though, but eh I honestly wouldn't mind if he disappeared for a while.
This makes no sense. The movies where he played in were not particularly blockbusters in the first place.

farnham

Banned
onegoodlogan said:
didnt juno do really well for what it is ?

DMczaf

51Lgv7RMW2L._SS500_.jpg

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Same here. :lol I think it was also because it was during a sort of sentimental moment/scene, but I remember cracking up at the joke in the comic :lol
Same here. Good times. :lol

I also like how they handled
Negascott
. Simple and effective. :lol

i've only read the first two books but went to see this last night anyway because what the hell i'm in new york, and i loved it almost 100% start to finish. i was flagging a bit by the final final fights, but the rest was golden.

Salazar

Going to see it in about three hours.

Morning showing - I expect the film to be good enough to overcome the awkwardness of seeing it early in the day.

Ridley327

Expendable. said:
Juno made an exorbitant amount of money: $231.4m off a $7.5m budget.
Superbad was also a big hit, too.

It is entirely possible that the other films that Cera has been in just don't have any mainstream appeal whatsoever.

Ridley327 said:
Superbad was also a big hit, too.

It is entirely possible that the other films that Cera has been in just don't have any mainstream appeal whatsoever.

Yep, Year One was a huge failure but Youth In Revolt, Nick and Nora and Paper Heart were lower budget indies.

Ridley327

Expendable. said:
Yep, Year One was a huge failure but Youth In Revolt, Nick and Nora and Paper Heart were lower budget indies.
If I was a movie exec and I saw the dailies for Year One, I would have canned that shit right on the spot. I know Harold Ramis is a comedy legend, but what the fuck?

Such a misfire on all fronts.

Just saw it. I've only read one book so I'm not too familiar with the source material but I loved the film. Brie Larson is hot as Envy Adams. Vegan Police was gold :lol

SpeedingUptoStop said:
As long as I got a great film already in the bag, I couldn't care less if it does toy Story 3 numbers or Scott pilgrim numbers. Shit happens, a great film will squeak out beneath the shitpile every once in a while, no mater how much money the last one made.
Agreed. Sometimes fans get way too caught up in wanting everyone else to like what they like rather then just being content to like it themselves. Low box office isn't gonna take the movie away from you.

As much as I want this movie to do huge numbers I feel like we're lucky enough it even got made, and even more lucky that it turned out so damn good. I want so much for sales to speak of its greatness but I know that the cast and crew are proud of what they did. Plus I've been trying to get all my friends to read these damn books for ages and now thanks to the movie, practically all of them have and can understand what I've been raving about for the last 6 years. :D

I saw the movie on opening night and loved every minute of it. I never read the comic books nor had any interest in them but my friend was a big Scott Pilgrim fan and wanted me to see it. I am a big fan of Edgar Wright's work and this movie didn't disappoint. It's currently one of my favorite movies of this year along with The Other Guys and Inception.

So many hilarious moments but the
Vegan Police
scene was the best. Also the inclusion of the
Link to the Past music
was completely awesome. Can't wait for this movie to come out on blu-ray.

Saw it, I thought it was awesome, one of the funniest movies of the year, and had a ton of style. Some highlights comedically were the sticom scene, and the Vegan police. Kieran Culkin was awesome as Wallace. Probably in my top 5 of the year.

daegan

onegoodlogan said:

That's just sad. The game is remarkable in its own right and could easily stand on its own; to be honest it could easily command a higher price tag. There's a lot in that download.

onegoodlogan said:

The moral of the story is to not go to Giantbomb.com

kai3345

Banned
whats with all the people thinking Kim Pine and Ramona are hot? Ramona was cute, sure, but Kim was flat out ugly. Scotts sister was bangin' though.

Anyway, movie was awesome.

Only part I didn't really like was the Seinfeld joke where he slides through the door like Kramer and then they have a laugh track going. He should have banged the asian girl. Also I kept thinking Wallace was Tobey Maguire:lol

kai3345 said:
whats with all the people thinking Kim Pine and Ramona are hot? Ramona was cute, sure, but Kim was flat out ugly. Scotts sister was bangin' though.

Anyway, movie was awesome.

Ramona's style is what makes her hot for a lot of people, I guess. It's the clothes and hair more than anything.

I agree though, Anna Kendrick is yummy. :D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
butter_stick said:
The moral of the story is to not go to Giantbomb.com

Great, now the GB stuff is in the Scott Pilgrim thread. :lol

Some people won't like the franchise... last time I checked, that's okay?

This movie was incredible.
I never read a Scott Pilgrim book in my life; immediately after watching, I got all the books.
The gaming and pop culture references...awesome. The soundtrack...awesome. Great characters, great plot...goddamn. It is as if they created a movie that is a perfect microcosm of the scene I hang out in, or the way I think or something. It feels like it's finally cool to be a gamer, or something like that.
I am going to see it again soon, and I'm definitely buying it on Bluray too.

Gooster said:
I guess if you want to get overanalytical about it, maybe some women were put off at how the female leads, save for Stacey Pilgrim, are portrayed as psychotic, angry, bitchy, full of baggage and withdrawn, any combination of those, although all for the sake of comedy. After all, it's not like any of the male leads exercise logic or strong thinking in any way.

This might be a stretch, but honestly, I kind of felt the film played down the videogame references a little bit. They were there, obviously, but I guess because they're also there in your face in a stationary comic panel it feels more present whereas the movie has to progress and keep going whether you're following or not.

I don't know, the last line of the entire movie was
"Try Again?"

Can't play up upper than that.

Also, I didn't really get the sense that the movie was flagging after the first 3 fights, especially since Sex Bob-omb vs. The Katayanagi's is the best fight of the movie.

(Cornelius >>>>>>>>>>> Pretty Much Everything Ever)

Amir0x

Banned
Even though the returns are bad, I'm glad for many of those that ARE seeing it, it is opening their eyes to the greatness that is Scott Pilgrim comics.

And I'm glad they did this film in one shot so I don't have to worry about a sequel ever being made.

Also, I can't believe I didn't notice it the first time, but (at least for the first four fights) every sequence is littered with the corresponding number of the Ex. A lot of that is from the comic (like the giant 4 outside the party, IIRC) but it was still really nicely done.

Foob

BenjaminBirdie said:
Also, I didn't really get the sense that the movie was flagging after the first 3 fights, especially since Sex Bob-omb vs. The Katayanagi's is the best fight of the movie.

dude, fucking yes - such an amazing scene.

Foob said:
dude, fucking yes - such an amazing scene.

I listen to that song on the Score Soundtrack like ten times a day.

First time I saw it, I was a little off to the side but the audio was TREMENDOUS. Second time, it was DLP and my seat rocked but the sound wasn't as tight. I really want to be blown away by the sound again because it is SO well done, that scene especially.

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to see it again.

:D

Cth

RE: box office

It's simple really. There was too many sneak previews. Remember what happened to Serenity? Both had great WoM from the fanbase.

There was a guy at the screening here on Thursday that said it was the third time he saw it.

I know of at least two maybe three screenings in my area this week and we're not a big movie town.

Disappointing for sure maybe wom can help it. Cult classic for sure otherwise which is fine by me.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I listen to that song on the Score Soundtrack like ten times a day.

First time I saw it, I was a little off to the side but the audio was TREMENDOUS. Second time, it was DLP and my seat rocked but the sound wasn't as tight. I really want to be blown away by the sound again because it is SO well done, that scene especially.

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to see it again.

:D

The sound sucked in my theater. :( That scene just sounded like a garbled mess of sound for me. :(

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I forgot if I commented on this, but big redemption role for Cera. I think he played the role perfectly.

Disappointed that Kim and Envy came out as kind of one note and were not properly fleshed out, but the performances were right on all throughout.

ezekial45

Banned
Just came back from seeing it again. The movie holds up remarkably well on repeat viewings (as expected with all of Wright's movies). A few things i noticed:

1. Sprite from the Scott Pilgrim game during the end credits

2. Did anyone else noticed how different Cera looked during the 2 player mode portion of the fight with Gideon. It looks like this was from the re-shoots or something.

Btw, i've been hearing a lot about some Flash Gorden references during the last fight. I haven't seen the movie in awhile, so can anyone who noticed them remind me what they were?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom