• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven_Jitters said:
Saw it opening night but wasn't really feeling it. I blame it mostly on a bad theater experience, people sitting behind me kept laughing and would repeat everything that happened. I want to give it another chance when it hits video.

Was anybody else lonely in the theater? I counted only 9 other people when I went...
Ehh, sounds like you had as bad of an experience as I did. Two guys in the back were laughing at the dumbest things (they were losing their shit when Todd started levitating, for no good reason :\) and they also kept yelling OH MY GOD and WHAT THE HELL every time something happened. I already knew they were gonna be trouble when at the beginning of the movie the Zelda music is playing and one of them shouted OH MY GOD ZELDA DUDE! Still thought the movie was awesome, it just sucks that I didn't have as much fun as I should have thanks to stupid assholes.

turnbuckle

Steven_Jitters said:
Saw it opening night but wasn't really feeling it. I blame it mostly on a bad theater experience, people sitting behind me kept laughing and would repeat everything that happened. I want to give it another chance when it hits video.

Was anybody else lonely in the theater? I counted only 9 other people when I went...

Saw the latest showing at our theatre and I'd say the crowd was about 80% as big as the crowd for The Expendables when I saw it a night earlier. The Expendables wasn't completely sold out, but there were more than enough people at Scott Pilgrim to begin trying to count. Easily more than 9 people sitting in our row. Would've had 2 more with us, but my friend's gfd (and, I guess therefore my friend) couldn't make it. They'll be going tomorrow with a few more people and myself. Can't wait. Most fun I've had at a movie since I don't know when.

big ander

darkressurection said:
Ehh, sounds like you had as bad of an experience as I did. Two guys in the back were laughing at the dumbest things (they were losing their shit when Todd started levitating, for no good reason :\) and they also kept yelling OH MY GOD and WHAT THE HELL every time something happened. I already knew they were gonna be trouble when at the beginning of the movie the Zelda music is playing and one of them shouted OH MY GOD ZELDA DUDE! Still thought the movie was awesome, it just sucks that I didn't have as much fun as I should have thanks to stupid assholes.
Sounds like my friends. They never shut the fuck up at movies and I end up looking like a douchebag alongside them.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
What is the music that is playing when Scott
steps into the school hallway in his dream when Ramona skates by?
(not really a spoiler).

It is just KILLING me that I can't place it. I want to say it was from a Final Fantasy game but that seems wrong for some reason.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Monroeski said:
(not really a spoiler).

It is just KILLING me that I can't place it. I want to say it was from a Final Fantasy game but that seems wrong for some reason.
great fairy music from Zelda

ezekial45

Banned
Monroeski said:
(not really a spoiler).

IIRC, it's
the Fairy Fountain theme from The Legend of Zelda.

Oyashiro

Saw it this afternoon. Surprisingly, there were at the most 15 people there, including my friend and I. I found that very strange considering the 4PM showing on Friday was sold out like 25 mins before the movie started.

Anyway, the movie was absolutely amazing. Incredible cast, best movie soundtrack of the year, awesome game references and visuals, great battle scenes, etc. I read all the comics earlier this week and thought the movie did a pretty great job covering everything. Sure, they skipped a bunch of smaller parts, and the ending was different, but they managed to fit most of the comics into that 2 hour slot. I kinda wish they would have added Mr. Chau, but I can understand why they didn't. Oh, and I actually liked the movie ending better than the comic ending.

turnbuckle

bearcatjosh said:
Metric is incredible. The singer of Metric sings the Broken Social Scene song from the soundtrack as well.

Emily Haines - she's also done a little bit of singing for the band Stars (which is made up of members of Broken Social Scene) before. In particular, "Going Going Gone"...which sounds much more like a Metric song than Stars.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Rez said:
great fairy music from Zelda
Zelda was actually the other game I was thinking of, but I couldn't quite place it there either. Haven't really played all that many Zelda games, to be honest.

Movie was great! Extremely entertaining. My theater was decently full for a Saturday morning showing. Some stupid nerd had a really noticeable laugh though. Also I just found out that Ann from Arrested Development was the girl ex :lol . Yes, her.

I liked the ending ex's 8 bit sword thing. Fantastic movie, I'm gonna start reading the series now.

Cosmic Bus said:
Spinnington <3

I watched that animated thing and it was pretty flat for me. Four minutes of :\
that's too bad. so i read the first four books before watching the movie and in comparison they really condensed the story. if you're not into the universe of scott pilgrim then it won't change in translation to film-- it's still really faithful to the comics. as far as highlights go there are quite a few but something about the movie actually felt a bit flat to me in the end

while i don't know how the books end, the movie felt like it could have been a lot longer and a little anticlimactic. it was certainly unfulfilling compared to the books, but as far as an action comedy or comic adaptation goes, it's pretty entertaining

i don't think you'll be missing out at all if you choose not to see it tho

Science

Neo Member
Yo I just saw this joint, and I actually liked it. I went in thinking I'd hate it based on the commercials, but I actually found myself laughing at most of the funnies.
Plus I'd totally smash all of those birds (except for egg).

I saw it on opening day with a big group of coworkers. There were I think 7 of us? Anyways, I was the only one who had read the books and seen it already. One other person had read parts of the books, everyone else was going in blind.

EVERYONE loved it except the other guy who had read the books. He said he felt it dragged!?! WTF!?!? But then today at work he said "So, I was thinking about the movie a lot and... I think I want to see it again." So we may go again tomorrow morning :lol

I think that it's a matter of getting people to fucking GO to the movie that is the problem. They might be put off by the commercials, but once they fucking SEE it, they can't not enjoy some aspect of it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm happy that the books, the game, and now the movie are all very awesome :D what a cool series.

This really is the first time all the polymorphic content for a series has been completely good... with The Matrix, LotR, FFVII.... some of the entries were shit: bad videogame; bad movie.. whatever. So far I love and respect everything with the Scott Pilgrim name on it. Loved that game.

Pity about the box office... but I hope for DVD-legs.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oh and M. Night Shyamalan got booed during the trailers in my showing. I think the world is actually sick of him :lol

turnbuckle

BocoDragon said:
Oh and M. Night Shyamalan got booed during the trailers in my showing. I think the world is actually sick of him :lol
:lol

same here. Well, not booed...but there was a very audible collective groan from the audience when his name came up.

bigosc2k

Banned
turnbuckle said:
:lol

same here. Well, not booed...but there was a very audible collective groan from the audience when his name came up.

A lot a laughing coming from the audience when I went, it's official he is now a joke of a director and to think this guy directed the sixth sense

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just got back from seeing it.

My wife and I had a post-mortem over dinner. All in all, while I liked the movie (I'm a HUGE Edgar Wright fan) it was riddled with flaws. Firstly, there was very little consequences for the characters in the movie and most of their motives seemed either ill-defined or waffled back-and-forth. Scott barely learned from his experiences and everyone was too quick to forgive him. Plot points seemed to peter out without explanation and for the most part characters (especially the exes) seemed one-dimensional at times.

Probably my biggest gripe was that the world itself felt at times massively incongruous. The video game, comic and movie/sitcom references were so intermingled and appeared without rhyme or reason lending the movie a jarring aesthetic. Was Scott's (and his foes) powers limited to themselves or was this something shared in the world? Was Scott special for harnessing said powers? Did the League of Evil Exes impose their powers and oeuvre into Scott's world or did everyone live in such a zany world where rules are bent?

Also, and this purely a personal thing, I found the overall music to be wimpy and non-threatening robbing Scott's band of any emotional impact. A heavier band with balls would've been much more satisfying and powerful.

Overall I did enjoy the film (especially the aesthetic) but I felt it could of been much better. Perhaps being based on a comic ham-strung it.

Edgar's best work is still by far his collaborations with Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes (Nee-Stevenson).

Witchfinder General said:
Edgar's best work is still by far his collaborations with Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes (Nee-Stevenson).

El Mariachi: Desperado::Spaced:Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

If he'd had the budget, I think Spaced would have been a lot like this movie.

Belfast

My wife and I had a post-mortem over dinner. All in all, while I liked the movie (I'm a HUGE Edgar Wright fan) it was riddled with flaws. Firstly, there was very little consequences for the characters in the movie and most of their motives seemed either ill-defined or waffled back-and-forth. Scott barely learned from his experiences and everyone was too quick to forgive him. Plot points seemed to peter out without explanation and for the most part characters (especially the exes) seemed one-dimensional at times.

Probably my biggest gripe was that the world itself felt at times massively incongruous. The video game, comic and movie/sitcom references were so intermingled and appeared without rhyme or reason lending the movie a jarring aesthetic. Was Scott's (and his foes) powers limited to themselves or was this something shared in the world? Was Scott special for harnessing said powers? Did the League of Evil Exes impose their powers and oeuvre into Scott's world or did everyone live in such a zany world where rules are bent?

Also, and this purely a personal thing, I found the overall music to be wimpy and non-threatening robbing Scott's band of any emotional impact. A heavier band with balls would've been much more satisfying and powerful.

Overall I did enjoy the film (especially the aesthetic) but I felt it could of been much better. Perhaps being based on a comic ham-strung it.

Sooo.... you haven't read the comics? Not that it really explains most of the stuff, but I think that's the way it's supposed to be. The breakneck speed of the movie might make you think it's skipping out on a lot of stuff, but it's mostly just working on video game logic (if the narrative requires it, then it happens). There's no need to really pick it apart like that, because it's not the sort of story that requires it.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Belfast said:
Sooo.... you haven't read the comics? Not that it really explains most of the stuff, but I think that's the way it's supposed to be. The breakneck speed of the movie might make you think it's skipping out on a lot of stuff, but it's mostly just working on video game logic (if the narrative requires it, then it happens). There's no need to really pick it apart like that, because it's not the sort of story that requires it.

Firstly, a movie must stand on its own two legs and not lean on the material its based on. Secondly, the problems I had with the movie enable their own legitimacy else I would not have been perturbed in the first place.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

The powers thing is explained a little more in the books
you're pretty much seeing the world as filtered through Scott's brain, and the boy is somewhat prone to hyperbole. The powers and fights etc are just exaggerations of what would really be happening in the real world. Instead of a tense meeting with an ex full of shrugs, half-sentences and thinly veiled passive aggression you get an epic fight scene and crazy assed powers. Scott is basically the ultimate unreliable narrator, playing out the movie/videogame/comic of his life.

Also, wrt to the music, of course it wouldn't be heavy enough for you dude! I've read your A-Z thread, you listen to Ackercocke ffs! :lol I like the music myself, and I think for a representation of a taste and style of music I think it succeeds very well. Sex Bob-omb are a lot heavier and messier than the other bands on the soundtrack or the music referenced throughout (Metric, Broken Social Scene, Frank Black, Smashing Pumpkins etc). By comparison the massive fuzz-bass sound of Sex Bob-omb is a lot noisier.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Jedeye Sniv said:
you're pretty much seeing the world as filtered through Scott's brain, and the boy is somewhat prone to hyperbole. The powers and fights etc are just exaggerations of what would really be happening in the real world. Instead of a tense meeting with an ex full of shrugs, half-sentences and thinly veiled passive aggression you get an epic fight scene and crazy assed powers. Scott is basically the ultimate unreliable narrator, playing out the movie/videogame/comic of his life.

Also, wrt to the music, of course it wouldn't be heavy enough for you dude! I've read your A-Z thread, you listen to Ackercocke ffs! :lol I like the music myself, and I think for a representation of a taste and style of music I think it succeeds very well. Sex Bob-omb are a lot heavier and messier than the other bands on the soundtrack or the music referenced throughout (Metric, Broken Social Scene, Frank Black, Smashing Pumpkins etc). By comparison the massive fuzz-bass sound of Sex Bob-omb is a lot noisier.

Certainly, but in the movie we constantly see people interacting with the other-worldiness, like the band collecting the coins or asking how
vegan powers work
. If the movie presented itself via Scott's narrative then I wouldn't have as many qualms but we get no sense of this.

As for the music, yeah I love brutally heavy bands but that's not to say that's all I like (I'm listening to Joy Division as I type this) it's just that the difference between the Sex Bob-Omb playing lackadaisically and playing with fury and emotion is almost nill. The only real point where the music had resonance was the
bass duel

Still, I might pick up the comics all the same.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jedeye Sniv said:

Isn't is also strongly implied/flat out stated that
Gideon is inside Scott's head messing with his perceptions and memories? Thats why he has a memory of fighting some epic guy for Kim back in high school, when in fact he was just some nice nerdy guy that Scott beat up?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kaijima said:
The video-game overlay during the
true final battle with Gideon went much too far. Up until then the game references were bizarre, sudden, unexpected, and gone in a flash as things returned to normal. The sheer surreality of the comic was perfectly translated up until the final fight which is far too indulgent. Where the fights to that point where awe inspiring and serious in their own strange way, the finale veered into pure cartoon territory and was a major letdown.
Too much pixel overlay, and the callback to the
ninja dancing game was overbearing.

The beautiful final shot of Scott leaving
to go with Ramona was also spoiled a little bit by the continue text and countdown from that damned arcade machine, which I think Wright had developed a fetish for at that point.

Absolutely agreed, although like I said my projection of the film didn't have the
health bars
at all. I found the ninja game pretty stupid to begin with, honestly.

Amir0x

Banned
BocoDragon said:

Yeah I was sitting in front and the trailer came on and midway I said out loud "oh this looks decent..." and then the words "FROM THE MIND OF M. NIGHT" came on and I said out loud "NEVERMIND" and the audience laughed.

M. Night is a true shame.

Akainu

Amir0x said:
Yeah I was sitting in front and the trailer came on and midway I said out loud "oh this looks decent..." and then the words "FROM THE MIND OF M. NIGHT" came on and I said out loud "NEVERMIND" and the audience laughed.

What movie is it?

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
Kaijima said:
. And Allison Pill is ASTOUNDING. Just unbelievable as Kim.

How can you say this? Her "acting" was pointing her head down, looking up, not blinking, and being monotone. Anyone could do that.

kiryogi

Banned
God finally unbanned! And not a better topic to come back with! Saw it last night with a group of skepticals. They came out praising me for the idea :D I so want to see it again. Infact, if my sister and her bf go today. I'm going again.

My only issues with the movie as a comic reader...

Changing the fight orders/how theyre fought and not enough Envy. I was seriously looking forward to some Envy considering my major of a bitch role she played in the comics. Wasn't too much of that here. But despite the fight changes, most of it's still all there. Just in a different order

fisheyes

So I just saw this. I bought issue 1 to 5 of the comics ages ago (before 6 was out), but have only just had the time to read issue 1 a couple of days ago, and while I liked the story I found the comic kind of hard to follow (I don't really read comics), so I found this, where I could get the source material I enjoyed with the ability to actually follow what was going on to be great. It was genuinely funny, really cool visually, and an interesting story to boot. The
nega scott "battle"
was great.

It was all great, really, even the people I went with that either knew nothing about the movie or thought it looked shit but decided to go anyway enjoyed it. I'm gonna have to try and persevere with the comics now I think, but either way I'll be picking up the Blu Ray when it hits. Good shit.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Qaz Kwaz said:
How can you say this? Her "acting" was pointing her head down, looking up, not blinking, and being monotone. Anyone could do that.

LOL! And it would not have been the same with anyone else doing "just that". That's the point.

It's true that she wasn't given much to work with because of most of Kim's arc being cut out of the movie. But she is the perfect woman in attitude, appearance, and vibe to play Kim.

animlboogy said:
It's more about Hollywood's reactionary stances on these issues. You hear stupid shit like "no female led superhero movies" because of turds like Catwoman and Elektra bombing. There's a chance this could be translated to "don't give Edgar Wright money again" or "nothing that Bryan Lee O'Malley guy touches is worth anything at the box office."
yeah, then the DVD sales will make them realise that they were wrong.

good films find their audiences even if it takes a long time.

animlboogy said:
It's more about Hollywood's reactionary stances on these issues. You hear stupid shit like "no female led superhero movies" because of turds like Catwoman and Elektra bombing. There's a chance this could be translated to "don't give Edgar Wright money again" or "nothing that Bryan Lee O'Malley guy touches is worth anything at the box office."

The only thing that will assuredly come to pass, as someone predicted after SDCC, is that SDCC hype will now mean nothing to Studios, which is, in the long run, excellent, because we'll get ComicCon back. I think Edgar Wright will be fine. It might cause a problem to the Ant-Man movie, but that just brings World's End even closer then doesn't it?

:D

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
My wife says she didn't really like it that much. Because it was basically a nerdy guy's fantasy. Only quirky women, having to beat up people to get the girl, a loser having girls fall all over him, etc. She also thought the females were betrayed as just fantasy templates without much more behind them.

Can't say as I disagree with her. I still loved the movie though. Screw her :p

DarkKyo

WanderingWind said:
My wife says she didn't really like it that much. Because it was basically a nerdy guy's fantasy. Only quirky women, having to beat up people to get the girl, a loser having girls fall all over him, etc. She also thought the females were betrayed as just fantasy templates without much more behind them.

Can't say as I disagree with her. I still loved the movie though. Screw her :p
Sounds like your wife has opinions.

Noshino

Amir0x said:

Yesterday when the trailer played, someone screamed "Dracula!" and everyone laughed, then when the title appeared, apparently the same guy screamed "SO CLOSE!" and everyone laughed again.... :lol

If Scott Pilgrim fails to meet box office expectations, it's not like Wright "will never work in this town again." I think that stance is a little extreme. Just ask these two!

AQnUA.jpg

VdlHr.jpg

Of course, in the end, as some have said, it doesn't matter. You loved it. I loved it. We will love it on Blu-ray!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom