• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

Jedeye Sniv said:
OMG there's a camrip???

Joke! Good point well made though, it does seem that nerdy/tech savvy kids would rather get a freebie than support an awesome movie like this
Hey, believe me, I'd love to see it firsthand, and I have the patience, but I know there are alot of people that don't have patience, and with a 2011 (!!) release date I can imagine the bittorrent generation will download away.

hamchan

MNC said:
Hey, believe me, I'd love to see it firsthand, and I have the patience, but I know there are alot of people that don't have patience, and with a 2011 (!!) release date I can imagine the bittorrent generation will download away.

WTF.

I think staggering the release dates by that much for a movie like this is a big mistake.

MNC

Exactly. It's a pain to wait this long, but I'm doing it because I know it'll be worth it. Also, I'd like to restate I did not download it (my previous post might sound a bit confusing and I'm scared of the mods, but I didn't/don't/wouldn't.)

According to imdb, September 16th 2010 is the release date for the netherlands, but most of the cinemas around here have it listed as 2011, January. And we don't even need to dub our films! :(

ezekial45

Banned
GuessWho said:
i have no idea what this movie is about, but gaf seems pretty hyped up. Will my gf like it? I am 29 btw. Is this a kids movie?

No, it's not. When i first went, there was a couple in their forties sitting next to me that loved it.

I think it's a nice movie to bring a date to.

hamchan said:
WTF.

I think staggering the release dates by that much for a movie like this is a big mistake.
Of course it is. Most of the fans will likely order the DVD/BD in the US or UK before the movie hits the theaters in their countries. And after bombing that hard at the box office, I'm sure it won't take long 'til you can pre-order it.

Saw this last night with the BF and we both loved it. We're both fans of genre stuff (and I'm a big comics guy) but neither of us had read the comic. Shame to see it not doing so well at the box office. I'm not a fan of Cera, although he didn't really bother me here. Still, I couldn't help but wonder what the movie would have looked like with a better lead (Joseph Gordon Levitt?).

Mercury Fred said:
Saw this last night with the BF and we both loved it. We're both fans of genre stuff (and I'm a big comics guy) but neither of us had read the comic. Shame to see it not doing so well at the box office. I'm not a fan of Cera, although he didn't really bother me here. Still, I couldn't help but wonder what the movie would have looked like with a better lead (Joseph Gordon Levitt?).

Sorry but Joseph Gordon Levitt is the wrong choice. Yes he is a good actor but for more serious roles. A not-so-famous good actor would be better.

Mercury Fred said:

That would have been so....weird?

Blackhead

Redarse
BenjaminBirdie said:
That would have been so....weird?
He hasn't read the comics so he has no preconceptions about the looks of the characters. For those people, it's a Michael Cera movie. For us, it's a Scott Pilgrim movie.

lunarworks said:
I also wonder how much of the box office flop has to do with people thinking "Oh, it's Canadian? It couldn't possibly be good."
I doubt that is at all going through people's head. I had no idea it was even set in Toronto until the I saw the actual movie.

Rahxephon91 said:
I don't know what that has to do with not knowing or caring that its in Toronto.

In terms of you presenting an evaluation of what people might have been thinking that turned them off of the movie, I thought it was a little relevant.

YuriLowell said:
Cera was excellent as pilgrim. Its foolish to say otherwise.
Dude, I was just saying I loved the movie and that Cera didn't bother me. Sorry for wondering what the film would have been like with another lead. Jesus.

BenjaminBirdie said:
In terms of you presenting an evaluation of what people might have been thinking that turned them off of the movie, I thought it was a little relevant.
Well I would hope people would (if they were to be) be turned off from something a little more significant then "it takes place in Canada".

Being set in America wouldn't have made the movie better or anything.

It's nice to see this movie getting love here on GAF. Generally, the reviews are positive-- it's just a shame nobody's seeing it.

As far as it being a "hipster" movie-- hipsters are the objects of ridicule in the movie. It's a slacker movie.

Not just for the commercial failure, but the film did remind me of Speed Racer. The insane visuals, the outright earnestness of the story, and of course the cartoon action and violence.

For all the complaints about recent action moves with poorly shot fight scense, Wright does an amazing job shooting them in this movie. Very clear, exciting, and fun to watch. He could really tackle a traditional action film if he wanted to (though that would be a waste).

I think almost all of the above has been said already by someone, but it's stuff I agree with!

So wait, people are pinning SP's box office bombing on Cera? I'd have thought it had more to do with going head to head with Inception, Expendables, and Eat Pray Love.

Yes, Holy cow those overhead fight scene shots were mindblowing-ly great. The Ramona Hammer Scene was fantastic too. actually ever fight scene was so pitch perfect. God-damn i need this movie on blu-ray now.

Dresden

YuriLowell said:
Cera was excellent as pilgrim. Its foolish to say otherwise.
I thought he did a good job, but for people who aren't familiar with the comics, it does look like a 'cera being cera' role from all the ads.

Just got back from seeing it. I feel like there should've been more chemistry or scenes between Scott and Ramona in the beginning, and there were parts that definitely felt hurried, but other then that I think they did a good job with it. Fight scenes were great, and I feel they were definitely better then the comic.

I do end up missing a lot of the stuff that had to be cut, like Envy's backstory and just seeing them hangout, and it kinda makes me wonder how it would've gone if they did two movies, splitting the story where the third boyfriend is offed. Though given the BO, doing it in one shot might've been for the best.

Here's hoping word-of-mouth helps it, if only a little. My brother, his friends and some of my coworkers ended up seeing it and thinking it was amazing (and I don't think any of them even knew it was a comic originally).

ezekial45

Banned
SpeedySwaf said:
Just got back from seeing it. I feel like there should've been more chemistry or scenes between Scott and Ramona in the beginning, and there were parts that definitely felt hurried, but other then that I think they did a good job with it. Fight scenes were great, and I feel they were definitely better then the comic.

I do end up missing a lot of the stuff that had to be cut, like Envy's backstory and just seeing them hangout, and it kinda makes me wonder how it would've gone if they did two movies, splitting the story where the third boyfriend is offed. Though given the BO, doing it in one shot might've been for the best.

Here's hoping word-of-mouth helps it, if only a little. My brother, his friends and some of my coworkers ended up seeing it and thinking it was amazing (and I don't think any of them even knew it was a comic originally).

From what i understand, theres about 15 minutes of deleted footage we might see on the DVD/Blu-ray release.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yep, there's another Crash and the Boys song ("ZOG") and at least 6-10 more Sex Bob-Omb songs (Beck wrote a LOT of them for the film), as well as 8-Bit chip tunes versions of almost every song on the OST. I posted about it a few pages ago but I really, really hope they release it.

EDIT: Edgar Wright confirmed the 15 extra minutes AND the alternate ending will be on the home release.

Chorazin

Funky Papa said:
I'm slightly over 30 and turned my geek card as soon as my full time job forced me to do so,

Unless by full-time you mean "24/7" there is always time for geekery and general nerdism.

Dresden

WordAssassin said:
Yep, there's another Crash and the Boys song ("ZOG") and at least 6-10 more Sex Bob-Omb songs (Beck wrote a LOT of them for the film), as well as 8-Bit chip tunes versions of almost every song on the OST. I posted about it a few pages ago but I really, really hope they release it.

EDIT: Edgar Wright confirmed the 15 extra minutes AND the alternate ending will be on the home release.
win

FFuuuuu

I have no idea where the source is but it's somewhere in this thread. He talked about the 15 minutes in a recent interview and the alternate ending confirmation was from a Q&A at a preview screening a few weeks ago that someone here on GAF attended.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Oh yeah, he definitely mentioned the deleted scenes on the /Film podcast. Edgar Wright is definitely the kinda dude that likes to stuff his DVDs out, Shawn and Hot Fuzz are perfect examples on how to do it (W)right. I'm hoping for 4 commentaries on this one too :D (I think Aubrey Plaza mentioned she was on a different commentary track than Michael Cera for instance)

ezekial45

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
Oh yeah, he definitely mentioned the deleted scenes on the /Film podcast. Edgar Wright is definitely the kinda dude that likes to stuff his DVDs out, Shawn and Hot Fuzz are perfect examples on how to do it (W)right. I'm hoping for 4 commentaries on this one too :D (I think Aubrey Plaza mentioned she was on a different commentary track than Michael Cera for instance)

Oh yeah, thats it. I hope it's packed with content. I noticed a few scenes from the commercials and trailers (Wallace accidently exposing himself to Scott after his call from Gideon), and i hope they'll all be there for the home release. I'm not expecting an Extended version with all the footage cut back into the movie, but i hope it'll be there all the same.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've just been thinking about this, my predictions for the commentaries are as follows:

Cera and Wright (and maybe Wright's co-writer Bacall (?))
Scott's Friends (sex bob-omb and co)
The Seven exes
and ??? (on Shawn it was some zombies and on Hot Fuzz it was some real rozzers)

I was really looking forward to seeing why Scott was breaking the fourth wall and winking at the audience, yet that wasn't in the movie either. I guess they could have shot that just for the trailer, but...

Jedeye Sniv said:
I've just been thinking about this, my predictions for the commentaries are as follows:

Cera and Wright (and maybe Wright's co-writer Bacall (?))
Scott's Friends (sex bob-omb and co)
The Seven exes
and ??? (on Shawn it was some zombies and on Hot Fuzz it was some real rozzers)

My hope is for a Wright, Pegg, and Frost audio commentary, just fucking because.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
brotkasten said:
Is next month too optimistic? :lol
In that interview Gooster linked to, they had just finished recording one of the commentary tracks. Next month's highly unlikely. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom