• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
big ander said:
And I wouldn't call her homely, certainly Kendrick and MEW and Plaza and Larson are better looking, but those are some pretty goddamn hot people. The girls in this movie are just hot overall.

Kim is my favorite character for anything Scott Pilgrim, and honestly she looks exactly like she should in the movie IMO. They even got the hair down.

big ander

Inferno313 said:
Yo man, The Dark Knight and Inception. Total Garbage brah, you shouldn't waste your time.
Totally, h8 all the bandwagon Bale fans from TDKnight, I've been following him since he was a kid (via Treasure Island 1990)

eDIT:

PTCoakley said:
Kim is my favorite character for anything Scott Pilgrim, and honestly she looks exactly like she should in the movie IMO. They even got the hair down.
I could never choose a favorite comic character, but I definitely loved her a lot. And from a looks standpoint, she does seem perfect for Kim. I think she might look homely in the movie only because her character is the "don't give a shit about anything" type. From the looks of it, when "Kim" is acting natural she looks really cute.

Pill looks her best with that hair, to be honest. In real life, the way she styles her own hair makes her head look watermelon-shaped. I think she should make her hair almost exactly like that.

big ander said:
I could never choose a favorite comic character, but I definitely loved her a lot. And from a looks standpoint, she does seem perfect for Kim. I think she might look homely in the movie only because her character is the "don't give a shit about anything" type. From the looks of it, when "Kim" is acting natural she looks really cute.

It's a subtle bit of acting but that moment when Ramona is grilling Scott on his past relationships and cuts to her at the club?

PERFECT.

big ander said:
I don't think she's ugly, just plain. Mainly because that's how Kim is when she dresses. No makeup, bad hair, same outfits. It's just the character really. In the backstory when they were dating it's obvious she gave a shit, but before and after she just sorta dresses very "unsexy" I guess.

PTCoakley said:
I don't think she's ugly, just plain. Mainly because that's how Kim is when she dresses. No makeup, bad hair, same outfits. It's just the character really. In the backstory when they were dating it's obvious she gave a shit, but before and after she just sorta dresses very "unsexy" I guess.

This is what Julie was talking about when she was chastising that
fuck
Scott on his womanizing
bullshit

;D

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I really liked Todd's hair in the film. Was it a wig? I'd like to have my hair like that. Vegan Powers FTW

I have a bad feeling that all of those early screenings were a bad idea in the long run. Hopefully the movie may get word of mouth and hopefully that gets people out to see the movie, especially people that didn't think it would be good based on the commercials.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
PTCoakley said:
but before and after she just sorta dresses very "unsexy" I guess.
Did you miss the earlier post? :p

qsa33m.png

And funny enough, she also is the one who seems to dress the most "girly" of the females outside of Lisa. She's always in skirts and dresses.

And I partially disagree about the hair comment. The style's fine, but the color's off. :p

I get why they chose it though, the freckles play better off the chosen color.

Trojita said:
I really liked Todd's hair in the film. Was it a wig? I'd like to have my hair like that. Vegan Powers FTW

I got the impression it was a wig just because its shaggy look just looks kind of weird on Routh. What I also think are supposed to be dark roots just makes it look like it's his black hair.

I mean, I could be wrong. I think because I only see his hair from Superman Returns makes it hard for me to believe he could ever sport hair like Todd's.

XiaNaphryz said:
Did you miss the earlier post? :p

And funny enough, she also is the one who seems to dress the most "girly" of the females outside of Lisa. She's always in skirts and dresses.

And I partially disagree about the hair comment. The style's fine, but the color's off. :p

I get why they chose it though, the freckles play better off the chosen color.
I don't personally think that, I'm saying that in the sense that the other people in that world would see her.

As for the hair, some other styles and colors were slightly off, not just her's. Darker would have been better, but yeah I guess it just didn't look right or something.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Saw it, liked it a lot. As good as Kick Ass was.
Only part I didn't like, was basically Ramona and Scott. Ramona felt like a dead log the entire time. While Cera never really had that energy level. By no means bad, but it took far to long for me to like them.

Saw it the second time today. My MOTY so far without a doubt. Had a huge grin plastered on my face throughout both screenings. Most enjoyable film thus far.

Edgar Wright is seriously just an absolute genius of assemblage shots and being an editor's director.

Michael Cera was not Michael Cera in this film. Kudos to him for surprising me.

10/10

The film won't win best editing, but it bloody well deserves to.

ezekial45

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Saw it the second time today. My MOTY so far without a doubt. Had a huge grin plastered on my face throughout both screenings. Most enjoyable film thus far.

Edgar Wright is seriously just an absolute genius of assemblage shots and being an editor's director.

Michael Cera was not Michael Cera in this film. Kudos to him for surprising me.

10/10

I agree. This movie has some of the sharpest editing i've seen in awhile.

XiaNaphryz

PTCoakley said:
As for the hair, some other styles and colors were slightly off, not just her's.
Well, Envy would be the obvious one. Kim's right along with her though. It still worked fine for the film though.

Scullibundo said:
I would think this is the one area the film would have a chance in. Who do you expect to win? Inception?

XiaNaphryz said:
Well, Envy would be the obvious one. Kim's right along with her though. It still worked fine for the film though.

I would think this is the one area the film would have a chance in. Who do you expect to win? Inception?

I don't know, but the academy would be hard to recognise a film like Scott Pilgrim for any nomination, even if it is head above shoulders over the other noms.

XiaNaphryz

Scullibundo said:
I don't know, but the academy would be hard to recognise a film like Scott Pilgrim for any nomination, even if it is head above shoulders over the other noms.
I'm sure it would get director support. The main issue, of course, is the actor segment. :lol

Speaking of, going to see it a third time this week at the Academy screening at work.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
XiaNaphryz said:
Kind of amazing how great editing was. With so many effects and quick cuts. Never once did it become a mess like Inception or Expendables. Everything was always a clear, well done shot.

XiaNaphryz said:
Yeah. I dunno, any aesthetic differences didn't really bug me to be honest. Some things just have to be changed to fit a different medium. For all we know they tried some of them and it didn't look as good on film? Who knows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's weird - I watched this movie before reading the final volume and that was a huge mistake. When you follow a story for 6 years, you can't help but be a bit disappointed by watching a compressed version of the ending in a different medium.

Still, I guess I thought the film was cute but might have been more charming if the battles were treated as metaphors for dealing with "baggage" rather than the mishmash that we got. I feel like there should have been more separation between the "real life" sequences and the battles in terms of their metatextuality (ie, the Seinfeld reference just didn't really work, especially since it came out of nowhere and became a reference for the sake of making a reference). It's funny because there was the "ha ha" moment of "the comic book is better than the movie" at the end, but I think that might actually be true. Certainly a lot of the joy of the books seems lost when transitioned to the screen.

Also, I did enjoy how fake the arcade looked. There are no arcades left in Toronto proper as far as I know, so they just found a room, (digitally) painted it black and filled it with random games.

Chavelo

PTCoakley said:
Yeah. I dunno, any aesthetic differences didn't really bug me to be honest. Some things just have to be changed to fit a different medium. For all we know they tried some of them and it didn't look as good on film? Who knows.

Your avatar...

/kim's stare of death

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
firehawk12 said:
It's weird - I watched this movie before reading the final volume and that was a huge mistake. When you follow a story for 6 years, you can't help but be a bit disappointed by watching a compressed version of the ending in a different medium.

Still, I guess I thought the film was cute but might have been more charming if the battles were treated as metaphors for dealing with "baggage" rather than the mishmash that we got. I feel like there should have been more separation between the "real life" sequences and the battles in terms of their metatextuality (ie, the Seinfeld reference just didn't really work, especially since it came out of nowhere and became a reference for the sake of making a reference). It's funny because there was the "ha ha" moment of "the comic book is better than the movie" at the end, but I think that might actually be true. Certainly a lot of the joy of the books seems lost when transitioned to the screen.

Also, I did enjoy how fake the arcade looked. There are no arcades left in Toronto proper as far as I know, so they just found a room, (digitally) painted it black and filled it with random games.

The Seinfeld reference did fall flat. I didn't laugh, and the people who did were pretty much like "lol Seinfeld exists". I don't think it belonged in SP.

There are no arcades in Toronto? That's sad. There is a tiny, tiny handful here in Vancouver.

XiaNaphryz

Chavelo said:
Your avatar...

/kim's stare of death

Actually, both your avatars exceed the avatar limit and you could lose your avatar privilege. :p

Don't link directly to the sprite rip, as it'll get scaled up. You need to resize it yourself.

Meier

I was so thrilled that my girlfriend loved it. She was absolutely not interested at all based off the trailers but knew how much of a fan I was. I promised her it would be amazing and it lived up to my hype. Just a perfect comic to screen adaptation -- Edgar Wright never fails.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm soooo in love with the OST.

I don't know if I should get the score. I already got the books ordered and I cannot possibly justify more money wasted on this thing. :(

XiaNaphryz

Regulus Tera said:

I don't know if I should get the score. I already got the books ordered and I cannot possibly justify more money wasted on this thing. :(
You want the score. :p

Also, Wright said that if the two albums sell well enough they may release a third.

Regulus Tera said:

I got the score and the OST and I love them both. I love Chau Down.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BocoDragon said:
The Seinfeld reference did fall flat. I didn't laugh, and the people who did were pretty much like "lol Seinfeld exists". I don't think it belonged in SP.

There are no arcades in Toronto? That's sad. There is a tiny, tiny handful here in Vancouver.

Yeah, the reference was more quaint than anything.

The last downtown arcade (which might have been the one originally referenced in the comic... it's been so long that I can't remember) closed down last year (or maybe two years ago). I know there are a few out in burbs, but I've never been and certainly they're out of the geographic scope of the books. Definitely no location looks like the one in the movie.

Christopher

man I loved this movie....the only thing I hated was Michael Cera...I just didn't like what he brought to the character...I think the character would have been played better by an unknown or someone who didn't act the same role in every movie.

Michael Cera and the dude from she's out of my league make me cringe watching them.

psycho17

I saw the movie today with some friends who had no previous knowledge of the comics and we all walked away really impressed.
I loved the soundtrack so much I bought it right when I got back home.

Meier

Still can't believe The Bluetones are on the actual soundtrack in addition to being in the movie. Amazing!

It's only $9.49 on Amazon MP3 instead of iTunes' $15.00. Total bargain.

Meier said:
Still can't believe The Bluetones are on the actual soundtrack in addition to being in the movie. Amazing!

It's only $9.49 on Amazon MP3 instead of iTunes' $15.00. Total bargain.
iTunes has a few bonus tracks. Whether or not they're worth the extra $6 is up to you, but I got it on there just because I was about to fly home and didn't have a computer handy.

XiaNaphryz

Regulus Tera said:

Oh yeah, and don't forget that the game soundtrack is out in a few weeks as well. ;P

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Huge love for that game soundtrack. I think it's really legitimized chip tunes for me, as something I could actually load on my iPod or play at parties.

Slavik81

Awesome. I saw it Sunday night, but unfortunately the film was cracked. I think I'll go again some time because that was pretty awesome.

big ander

Just got back from seeing it. It's also my movie of the year.

Everything in the film works together so well to create an awesomely energy-filled romp.
The editing is spectacular. The quick cuts and match cuts were essential in conveying Scott's life. The cuts were lively and kept your eyes open for every second. And every fight was perfectly cut; there wasn't a second where I couldn't tell what was going on.
That's also due to some awesome fight choreography. To be honest, I wasn't expecting as much in this department, but every fight was wonderfully done and action-packed.
The cinematography was also very good. To be honest, camera work is always one of those things where I notice it if it's horrible, but otherwise I'm satisfied. If I look closer I can pick it apart better, but I was too lost in the movie to think about it much. Though I did love shots like the part of the Todd fight in the alley and the opening with Sex Bob-omb playing.
And while some found the design of the movie overbearing, I loved it. It is a lot better when you've read the comics and know that the entire series is really Scott's re-imagining/perception of the events, but I still loved the floating notes, the banner announcements, the visual sound effects and the health bars (though I was in one of those unlucky theaters with a projectionist who hadn't yet figured out how to display the film; they were half cut off). The obvious yet effective ways Wright used lighting and color (lights out at Julies, no background in the snowy park, etc.) were good at focusing on Scott.
The soundtrack and score for the movie are outstanding. They masterfully match and duplicate the energy of what's happening on the screen. The fact that there's true talent behind the songs (Metric, Beck) makes them work that much more. The score is so adrenaline-pumping I can't believe it.
The acting was near perfect. I would say every single actor had their character spot-on from the comics except Cera as Scott. However, he didn't do the "same old Cera," whatever the hell that means. He was a different character from comic Scott, but not in a George-Michael sort of way. Even with his performance, which I'd call above average, Allison Pill and Anna Kendrick and Aubrey Plaza and Brandon Routh and Kieran Culkin all NAILED IT. Christ, I'll say it again, every character was nailed. Knives, Neil, Stephen, Gideon, all of them. Wright put together the best possible cast for this film.
Finally the story. I loved the comics, and I think their story is near perfect. The movies isn't. I didn't have a problem with pacing so much as lack of focus. Since it's a 6-volume series told to be over a year an a half condensed into a 2 hours story over a week, several character interactions and plotlines are sacrificed. In the end, however, it's worth it, because this puts more focus on what matters. The Scott-Ramona relationship felt perfect to me.
I thought of it as more about what's not said. Scott puts his emotions out there, and then Ramona sort of shirks away again. But it's in a different way; even when she was walking away I felt like they belonged together. Scott-Knives didn't feel like it worked at all. To me, they only worked as friends. They're an excellent team, but they don't understand each other as much. Scott and Ramona were essential in working through each others baggage, and the flaws both carry complement each other to make a good couple.
It's not a cinematic classic. But it is my favorite film of the year. It's something that doesn't necessarily say a lot for everybody, but it speaks concert-loud volumes for those that it does connect with. So it might seem contradictory, but I'd give the movie a 9/10 and say that it's my absolute favorite of the year so far. It's pure fun, and I recommend everybody go to it.

Fuck, I've been listening to Threshold and Black Sheep.

I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO BLOW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I may go back for a repeat watch, but I don't have anyone to go with! All the friends who were very hype for this already saw it with me!

Scullibundo said:
Great opening credits, but lets not get carried away.

In forever, I just meant it's been awhile since I was so absorbed w/ every second of it and in most films, I can't wait until they are over.

Of course Watchmen/Zombieland owned 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom