• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing this tonight with some of my friends (some of which have never even heard of the series until now and about 2 people who have actually read the series including me) and I remember hearing a while back that the story diverts from the comics at a certain point in the movie. When does it do that exactly, since some people were curious about that.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
DeathbyVolcano said:
Almost immediately after the third fight.
More like during the third fight, since there was a lot of stuff cut from it (Scott and Todd in Honest Ed's, Ramona and Envy's fight which pretty much carried over to Roxy instead, Wallace, etc).

XiaNaphryz said:
More like during the third fight, since there was a lot of stuff cut from it (Scott and Todd in Honest Ed's, Ramona and Envy's fight which pretty much carried over to Roxy instead, Wallace, etc).
This makes me sad, that was one of my favourite bits in the book. Just seeing Scott dressed up with all that stupid "armour" while Todd had managed to somehow build a rifle made me laugh so hard

I love, love, love the movie, and I think the pacing is awesome, but I can't help but wonder what it could have been like if they either made it longer, or made it into two movies (three volumes each). There's not nearly enough story in each comic to do a movie-per-book but I think if they did "Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life" as the first movie (Vol 1-3) and "Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour" as the second (Vol 4-6) it could have been marvelous and they would have been able to fit pretty much everything from the books in them. Seeing the Honest Ed's fight in live-action with these actors would have been hysterical.

However, with the way this has opened, if they did that we would have never seen the second movie. :(

Still, it's a total blessing that we even got this movie at all, and for all we got, we certainly did get something that's totally fucking awesome. I can't wait for the BluRay so I can own the fuck out of it. :D

MNC

Honest Ed's was cut?!?! Noooooo damn you film pacing!

AND SPOILER THIS KIND OF STUFF NEXT TIME PLEASE, I WANT TO BE DISAPPOINTED AFTERWARDS :D

The more I picture it in my head the more I can see it being SO PERFECTLY suited for Wright's style too. Goddamn it that they left that out!

I can imagine them running around, Michael Cera covered with bargain shit to make "armor" out of, Brandon Routh building a gun out of discount clothespins and rubber bands, and as the deals and low prices start to get to them the cuts become more frequent and haphazard, with all kinds of crazy off-tilt camera angles and cut-zooms and shit, oh God, that would have been just so insanely funny. Quick cuts going back-and-forth between Scott and Todd as the music reaches a fever pitch, throw in a random cut-zoom on a mounted moose head, then cut to outside with no music at all, then you hear them both start wailing and those cool wiggle lightning effects start jolting out of the building and it crumbles to the ground.

Fuuuuck why did you have to bring up Honest Ed's Goddamnit!! :lol :lol :lol

MNC

I hope to fucking God it's on the DVD/Blu-ray :lol I can already see Brandon becoming crazy, with quick cuts of Gideon, his father, etc :lol and then Honest Ed's imploded.

Holy shit! I just came to the realisation: The girl he slept with in the flashback was bionic arm girl, right? I always thought it was Julie somehow..... It never made sense to me.

Edit: Knives vs Ramona isn't in this..........? Reference Library is the battle where she uses the piece of collaborative art or something? How can you not have this in it!

RobotNinjaHornets said:
This makes me sad, that was one of my favourite bits in the book. Just seeing Scott dressed up with all that stupid "armour" while Todd had managed to somehow build a rifle made me laugh so hard

I was just about to say the exact same thing :lol , but I'm hoping for a good time regardless of the movie missing a couple of scenes from the comics. I'll get around to posting impressions later tonight.

XiaNaphryz

polyh3dron said:
niiiiiiiice

FUCK Brie Larson is hot.
She rocked those Envy boots real nicely.

Supposedly that video was a downloadable extra on iTunes or something? Someone needs to put up the HD version.

I'd give the movie a 8/10:

Pros:

+ Toronto. Great skyline shots, cool on location shoots, love the love my city got!
+ Kieran Culkin. Probably the best part of the movie for me. Great actor, some awesome lines.
+ Great camera work, special effects, editing job.
+ Music. Any movie with Zelda and Metric wins.

- Didn't get the chemistry between Ramona and Scott at all; Winstead's range was ehh.
- Dragged near the end, some poor pacing (the Limbo/death, how did you meet? scenes)
- Some pretty cringe worthy dialogue (ex. Ann Her?'s lines in particular).
- Schwartzman was straight up miscast IMO.

+- Entire theatre laughed and erupted when M Night's name came up on the screen (Devil)

Scott Pilgrim is the first film I've ever seen 3x in theaters.

Still a flawed movie, but so much fun and the stuff I adore in it far outweighs the negative. I'm also addicted to the soundtrack.

DevelopmentArrested said:
I'd give the movie a 8/10:

Pros:

+ Toronto. Great skyline shots, cool on location shoots, love the love my city got!
+ Kieran Culkin. Probably the best part of the movie for me. Great actor, some awesome lines.
+ Great camera work, special effects, editing job.
+ Music. Any movie with Zelda and Metric wins.
+Vegan police

Fixed.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DevelopmentArrested said:
- Schwartzman was straight up miscast IMO.
I think he was "perfectly miscast" in that Gideon looks like this powerful character from afar, but casting a goofball actor like Schwartzmann underlines that he's actually a dweeb.

XiaNaphryz

Gooster said:
"Black Sheep," either Metric's or Brie Larson's version, should totally be a Rock Band DLC track.
Only if Envy boots are also something you can download for your singer. :p

2r2urea.png

XiaNaphryz

narcosis219 said:
Which volume is this from? I remember seeing Kim in that bathing suit in Vol. 4 but not in that pose
It's from an O'Malley sketch, wasn't in any of the novels.

qsa33m.png

BocoDragon

Kim is a hottie in the comic.

I kind of applaud them for going with a unique looking (not super attractive) girl for the movie.... it kind of makes sense why Scott isn't that interested anymore :p She's kinda cute in a homely sort of way, though...

XiaNaphryz

BocoDragon said:
I kind of applaud them for going with a unique looking (not super attractive) girl for the movie.... it kind of makes sense why Scott isn't that interested anymore :p
Well, when Kim and Scott get reunited he's still in post-Envy trauma mode, so he wouldn't have really been interested anyway.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
On the subjet of O'Malley's art, this is his vision of X-Men's Emma Frost, aka the White Queen.

500x_omal.jpg

I'm not going to lie, I chuckled.

BocoDragon

Alucard said:
I really want to see this movie within the next week and a half or so.
I have a feeling if you don't, you'll be waiting for home video :(

Talking about Kim ... Did
Kim and Knives make out
in the movie or how is the "
Bring up the L-word. -- Lesbian?
" and "
I'm in lesbian with you
" dialogue explained?

edit: sorry, my connection was f'ed up.

Chorazin

brotkasten said:
Talking about Kim ... Did Kim and Knives make out in the movie or how is the "Bring up the L-word. -- Lesbian?" and "I'm in lesbian with you" explained?
Paraphrasing the scene:

Wallace: Scott, if you want to get Ramona back, you need to break out the big guns.

Scott: Big guns?

Wallace: You know, the L word.

Scott: :puzzled: Lesbian?

Wallace: No! The OTHER L word!

Scott: Lesbians?

Wallace: No you idiot, Love!

johnsmith

remember me
brotkasten said:
Talking about Kim ... Did
Kim and Knives make out
in the movie

No, it's not in the movie. Almost nothing after book 3 is in the movie. Book 1 is the only one that made it mostly uncut.

BocoDragon

I've actually only read books 1-3... Having seen the movie, I'm still not entirely sure about what was changed... I'm happy I still have an unexplored frontier of SP to explore...

BocoDragon

brotkasten said:
So, in the movie he says it for no reason? Because IIRC, he says it in the volumes, because he's still shocked about the Kim/Knives thing.
I suppose he does say it for no reason.

Still, just mistaking "lesbian" for the L word was funny enough on its own that it could even appear as brief unexplained clip in the trailer... It still works even if it makes more sense in the comic.

Blackhead

Redarse
Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Debate

We'd hinted earlier that it was looking more and more likely that SPvTW would fall to the "Comic-Con curse" and also the "Serenity Plague" — basically, all those free screenings to the already converted did nothing to improve word of mouth, and it also seems that everyone who wanted to see the movie had already seen it by the time it rolled out — sometimes two or three times!
Aight, fess up folks... :p

BocoDragon

At least, since this movie bombed... it still has indie cred :p It's still cool to like it.

I'm half joking... but there is a grain of truth. If it gained mainstream success, some of the core fans would start backlashing, that's just what happens.

big ander

Finally, I'm seeing it tonight! I cannot wait, I've been hyped for this movie for so long. I'm sure I'll have a lot to say on it when I return.

As for some people not liking Allison Pill and saying she wasn't acting much, it sure seems like she's really happy in real life:
4885762601_66c3afc991_b.jpg

4886366396_4773466665_b.jpg

And I wouldn't call her homely, certainly Kendrick and MEW and Plaza and Larson are better looking, but those are some pretty goddamn hot people. The girls in this movie are just hot overall.

BocoDragon said:
At least, since this movie bombed... it still has indie cred :p It's still cool to like it.

I'm half joking... but there is a grain of truth. If it gained mainstream success, some of the core fans would start backlashing, that's just what happens.

Yo man, The Dark Knight and Inception. Total Garbage brah, you shouldn't waste your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom