• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhead

Redarse
deadline hollywood with some thoughts: http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/fir...m34m-eat-pray-love-8m23m-scott-pilgrim-5m12m/

Scott Pilgrim vs The World (Universal) NEW [2,818 Theaters]
Friday $4.5M, Saturday $3.4M, Weekend $10.5M

This odd but innovative movie based on a comic book is yet another greenlight from the fired Mark Shmuger at Universal. He's the gift that keeps on giving the studio expensive underperformers. Yet the current regime embraced Scott Pilgrim vs The World as a counterprogramming maneuver this weekend even though they knew auteur filmmaker Edgar Wright's $60M budget (even with location credits) envelope pusher wouldn't open or earn out. But that's only because it got great reviews (which younger moviegoers rarely read) and an "A-" CinemaScore. The audience was 64% male/36% female, and 58% under 25 yrs of age/42% 25 yrs and older. Uni tried to hype the genre-bending pic as too cool for the room and claim it didn't know if Scott Pilgrim would make $5M or $15M this weekend. But the pic will do exactly what Uni execs predicted to me it would: a pittance. "Regardless of the perceived outcome, we are proud of this film. Studios need to continue to offer audiences good and original ideas/films," Uni said today. "We do wish a greater number of people went to see the film."

Platy

I heard some stuff about the movie not making enoght money and starting on 5th position ... wich can make universal to release the movie straight to dvd in minor countries .... like mine ><

If this happens, i will kill someone =P

So .. people who live in places where the movie started ... GO SEE IT!!!!! >=O

vulva

_dementia said:
i missed them, what were they?
ramona basically dressed as leona in the lesbian scene, the roll scott did in the first fight, the first dude pulling a Kyo pose, the 3v1 final boss fight etc etc. Granted it was very video gamey in general, but things like that seemed specifically KOF. Oh, and the battle about to e-x-p-l-o-d-e seemed like a cvs2 reference

Mission

Just got back. I loved this movie. Somehow wish I saw it instead of the Expendables on Friday. If I was going to see one of the again it will be Scott Pilgrim.

Proof that I am more geek than man? Perhaps?

Do I care? no.

Is that further proof... POWER UP

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I saw the movie today. It was epically awesome. I can't wait to see it again :D

I'm really pissed off that the movie only made $10 million and came in 5th place. I have less faith in humanity now that The Expendables made 3.5 times more.

I'm going to go buy the movie's album just to help out a little.

One thing I really liked in the movie was how they handled the final fight compared to the books.
The extra life sequence, replaying the scene with new knowledge, hit on something unique to video games. Making up for your previous missteps and being a badass because you know how to play it is a much more interesting method then simply coming back to life

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I adore the film in every way. It's just a pretty piece of film and i plan to go see it again. my only beef is the ending boss scene. It was jam packed with random shit i can't even describe what happened even though i still got large parts of the film fresh in my mind.

the only theatre in town isn't getting this. I might have to go out of town. it looks/sounds incredible. so pumped to see that BSS song on the soundtrack. it's my favorite song of theirs.

yencid

This movie was AMAAAZZIINNGG.. loved it! Inception and this are my favorites but i enjoyed seeing this so much more. Two great movies regardless.

johnsmith

remember me
Watched it a 2nd time and I loved it just as much as the first.

Did everybody notice how Scott dances/wiggles/jumps around when playing bass? Missed that the first time, and its hilarious.

The gal who plays Ramona resembles an ex of mine, and I thought twice about her while watching the movie. Then I remembered she's a total bitch and it wouldn't be worth giving her the phone call. :lol

disappeared said:
The gal who plays Ramona resembles an ex of mine, and I thought twice about her while watching the movie. Then I remembered she's a total bitch and it wouldn't be worth giving her the phone call. :lol

I dated two girls who resembled Ramona and Envy Adams at different points in my life. Neither went down particularly well. :lol

God damn, I really hope that the OST does well, because they have more Crash & The Boys and Sex Bob-Omb songs recorded as well as other chip-tune versions of the songs that they want to put on a special edition album. FUUUCK BUY THE MUSIC PEOPLE

WordAssassin said:
God damn, I really hope that the OST does well, because they have more Crash & The Boys and Sex Bob-Omb songs recorded as well as other chip-tune versions of the songs that they want to put on a special edition album. FUUUCK BUY THE MUSIC PEOPLE

Picking up the OST and Nigel Godrich score as soon as I can afford them.

Carnby

sorry guys, but Lights Camera Jackson, the 11 year old movie critic gave this film a D+. he didn't like it because it had too many video game references, and he doesn't like video games. and there were too many evil exs.:lol

http://lights-camera-jackson.com/index.php
check out the video review on the right side of the front page.

But he did give Inception a C. It scored low because it was too confusing for him.

i only mention this kid because he gets national attention and he reviews movies he has no business reviewing.

Dresden

jaekwon15 said:
sorry guys, but Lights Camera Jackson, the 11 year old movie critic gave this film a D+. he didn't like it because it had too many video game references, and he doesn't like video games. and there were too many evil exs.:lol

http://lights-camera-jackson.com/index.php
check out the video review on the right side of the front page.

But he did give Inception a C. It scored low because it was too confusing for him.

i only mention this kid because he gets national attention and he reviews movies he has no business reviewing.
I feel bad for giving that awful site a hit.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just came back from seeing it again. It was still awesome. One problem I still have with it after the fight with Todd it went really fast and seemed rushed. Hopefully the dvd has some deleted scenes.

Movie was even awesomer the second time around. One thing though–it's hard taking someone to this movie who has no exposure to the series and trying to sit through the first few minutes of dialogue. It's so unique, odd, and well, the particular language used by O'Malley sounds at first listen pretty terrible when acted out. I had no problem with it because that's the dialect and structure I'm used to and what makes the series endearing in the first place, but it's a tough sell for someone cold on the series when they first start watching.

daegan

DeathbyVolcano said:
Movie was even awesomer the second time around. One thing though–it's hard taking someone to this movie who has no exposure to the series and trying to sit through the first few minutes of dialogue. It's so unique, odd, and well, the particular language used by O'Malley sounds at first listen pretty terrible when acted out. I had no problem with it because that's the dialect and structure I'm used to and what makes the series endearing in the first place, but it's a tough sell for someone cold on the series when they first start watching.

I also saw it again today and yeah, I can see that. The SP movie and comics are one of the few things I truly love that I can totally respect someone if they don't get into it because it's jarring and specific and different; not everyone can get hooked in by the way it is.

It got much better and much easier to enjoy when Wright broke away from the O'Malley staples, to be honest. That entire first scene could be pretty cringe-worthy for anyone who's not a, ahem, Scottaholic.

Carnby

did anyone else notice when Scott entered the club for the second time (to fight Gideon) Comeau said, "the comic is better than the movie."?

Regulus Tera said:
This was the best movie I've watched in a long time.

Now I'm interested in the Scott Pilgrim comics. My wallet hates you.

The comics are amazing.

Cera played his role well, but the comic Scott feels different than the movie Scott.

Just wanted to chime in that this was such a fantastic movie, huge fan of Edgar Wright here. Also would like to say that tomorrow I'm going out and buying the first 2 volumes. :)

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I think this is the first film I have seen this year that I actually enjoyed (watching Life During Wartime and the Killer Inside Me within the next couple of days though). Thank you Edgar Wright. I wish I went to the midnight showing in Austin. He was there giving high fives to people for coming out to see his movie. I love Austin.

Inferno313 said:
They're PG-13. They'll let anyone into see those though, it's only an R rating you have to be 17 or with a parent to get into.
Oh my bad I didn't know Inception was only PG-13. I should probably go see it too at some point.

That Lights Camera Jackson kid bugs the shit out of me; I'm sure he's a nice guy, but A) he's being exploited, and B) a fucking 11 year old has no business reviewing movies. It's not cute, just annoying.

Hige

I didn't really have many expectations of this movie since I'm not a big fan of Michael Cera, but the movie was AMAZING. The casting was really great and the movie captured things that couldn't be conveyed so much in the comics, especially the colors and music/sfx. Now I need to read volumes 5/6 of the comic but I'm definitely a Scott Pilgrim fan now. :D

Loved Wallace and Knives, and even Cera was really enjoyable as Scott. I wasn't sure he could pull off the range of emotions comic Scott has, but the way he delivered his lines was great. :lol

I have to pee on her.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Are there plans for a compilation of the six books? I'm thinking I could wait for that. The price on the individual issues is kind of high.

hermit7

Thought the movie was fantastic. Hopefully this doesn't impede Edgar Wright's career in any significant way.

Also just ordered Vol. 1 of Scott Pilgrim. I have not read the books, but am inclined to do so after watching the film.

kiryogi

Banned
Seen it twice now :D If given a chance to see it a third time. I'll leap on it. But I won't try to make said chance like I did with the first two times :lol It's just so awesome. And I admit, I'm with the crowd that likes the movie's finale vs the comics finale.

MNC

Regulus Tera said:
Are there plans for a compilation of the six books? I'm thinking I could wait for that. The price on the individual issues is kind of high.
I got all of them without shipping cost for 38 pounds, which was a steal IMO. Got them from bookdepository.co.uk

kiryogi

Banned
Regulus Tera said:

I just noticed there is one at least on Amazon coming. I'm a bit irritated about it :lol Just picked up all 6 last week for like 30 bucks more D:

Dead

well not really...yet
You know, I love Metric, but I prefer the vocals to Black Sheep as they were in the movie, the Clash at Demon Head version :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom