• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
kiryogi said:
I just noticed there is one at least on Amazon coming. I'm a bit irritated about it :lol Just picked up all 6 last week for like 30 bucks more D:

I think a 1000 page+ book in manga size will be totally unweildy. Just buy the books as singles - that way if you don't like it halfway through you can even save some money (no idea why anyone could not like this though, unless you're one of those folks who hates the mythical hipsters)

hamchan

Yeah some people hating on this movie are ridiculous.

I think a lot of people are just trying to put up an image that they're too cool for Scott Pilgrim and that it's too lame or geeky, even though they're posting on NeoGAF, a fucking video game forum. It's pretty sad actually that they feel the need to attack an entire fanbase to boost their own pitiful lives.

Jedeye Sniv said:
I think a 1000 page+ book in manga size will be totally unweildy. Just buy the books as singles - that way if you don't like it halfway through you can even save some money (no idea why anyone could not like this though, unless you're one of those folks who hates the mythical hipsters)
Why keep it at manga size? Just blow it up to normal comic size, since he scanned everything he drew at that size and then they shrunk it to fit in a manga book. Look at the Walking Dead and Hellboy and Powers tomes they've made. I'd buy a Scott Pilgram tome in a heartbeat with full-size pages.

A friend of mine said he had no desire to see it because it is " just the hipster movie of the moment". So he put his money down on 80's retro schlock, The Expendables.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
WordAssassin said:
Why keep it at manga size? Just blow it up to normal comic size, since he scanned everything he drew at that size and then they shrunk it to fit in a manga book. Look at the Walking Dead and Hellboy and Powers tomes they've made. I'd buy a Scott Pilgram tome in a heartbeat with full-size pages.

Yeah, it would definitely work better in regular comic size at that pagecount. But still, I personally dislike those massive compendiums, the last oversize HC I got was Absolute New Frontier and while very beautiful it makes my wrists ache to read it :lol

Jintor

DAVIDHUXLEY said:
A friend of mine said he had no desire to see it because it is " just the hipster movie of the moment". So he put his money down on 80's retro schlock, The Expendables.

Punch that man in the fucking jaw. Clearly he is being ironic, therefore he is a hipster.

hamchan

DAVIDHUXLEY said:
If a large amount of people really are thinking this then the marketing has failed.

MNC

J Tourettes said:
I ordered mine from Amaozn UK for a grand total of £31.25 for all six volumes.
Well, I'm not in the UK, so I had to pay for 20 pounds shipping or something. bookdepository is pretty much free worldwide for shipping.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I enjoyed the movie alot.

But, apparently the box office was crap.

brotkasten said:
Nah, put it on Craigslist.

YES!

I woke up this morning with "Black Sheep" in my head. This movie and soundtrack, combined with a music recommendation thread a few days ago has me very intrigued and interested in Metric and will check their stuff out.

Rengoku

So based on this thread, seems most ppl prefer the movie's ending to the comic book's. I do plan on buying the comics, but am I going to be bummed out by the ending in the comic?

kiryogi

Banned
Rengoku said:
So based on this thread, seems most ppl prefer the movie's ending to the comic book's. I do plan on buying the comics, but am I going to be bummed out by the ending in the comic?

No by all means. It's just how more so they handled Gideon and the finale. Otherwise, the ending more or less is the same as the comic. And for that matter, the finale was decent in the comic too. In fact I just swept thru book 6 again as of now to get a better hold on things. At least for me, yeah I do prefer the movie's way of doing things. But I enjoyed both either way.

Rengoku said:

1) Is that Veronica Belmont in your avatar? <3

2) Not at all, pretty much what Kiryogi said.

y2dvd

Sad to hear it bombing in the BO. $10.5 mil I think? I'll do my part and watch it again, trying to drag others to see it too!

Dead said:
You know, I love Metric, but I prefer the vocals to Black Sheep as they were in the movie, the Clash at Demon Head version :lol

So me and my fiance' saw the movie on friday. I bought the score on the way home on my phone. Bought the Soundtrack at the walmart after that still on the way home. Then bought Metric Fantasies on my phone on the way back to my place. im looking at the rest of metrics catalogue longingly.

Also saw the movie twice. it was great both times. i bet this movie will exploded on blu-ray and dvd.

Chorazin

Krauser Kat said:
So me and my fiance' saw the movie on friday. I bought the score on the way home on my phone. Bought the Soundtrack at the walmart after that still on the way home. Then bought Metric Fantasies on my phone on the way back to my place. im looking at the rest of metrics catalogue longingly.

Also saw the movie twice. it was great both times. i bet this movie will exploded on blu-ray and dvd.

Why didn't you just buy the soundtrack on your phone too? Buying CDs from Walmart makes baby Cthulhu cry. :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Krauser Kat said:

I think Fantasies is my favourite Metric album, but Live it out is a very close second. Also, if you dig the music in the film check ouot Broken Social Scene, Emily Haines is in it too. Self titled album is my favourite.

Chorazin said:
Why didn't you just buy the soundtrack on your phone too? Buying CDs from Walmart makes baby Cthulhu cry. :(

There were a couple songs that are only available on the cd version. It was also the only place open.

sn00zer

DeathbyVolcano said:
It got much better and much easier to enjoy when Wright broke away from the O'Malley staples, to be honest. That entire first scene could be pretty cringe-worthy for anyone who's not a, ahem, Scottaholic.
This is sooo true...I really did not like the first ten minutes.... felt bad because I was really anticipating this movie, once I got over it and accepted the style it was fuckawesome from then on

y2dvd said:
Sad to hear it bombing in the BO. $10.5 mil I think? I'll do my part and watch it again, trying to drag others to see it too!
I think part of the problem is that its target audience is the BitTorrent Generation.

For some reason people would rather see a shitty camrip on their laptop screen than pay to see it on a giant theatre screen with blazing colours and giant sound.

Chorazin said:
Oh? What's on the CD that's not on iTunes?

I MUST KNOW!
here is a screenshot of the itunes thing, it was the same on amazon mp3 which is what i use since im on android.
scottpilgrim.tiff

I've seen it twice now. Love it. I've seen three movies this summer: Toy Story 3, Inception, and Scott Pilgrim. All have nailed it.

I think Scott Pilgrim is setting itself up for a Napoleon Dynamite-like cult following.

sn00zer

Saw some video reviews for this movie....why does every review seem to have some sort of superiority complex? They are gleeful every time they say something bad and when ever they complement the movie its like they feel that what the movie did was obviously the correct thing to do...jeez

fallagin

Saw this movie yesterday. It was a great movie, the only problem was that I forgot to eat lunch beforehand + I had to withhold my bathroom initiative so that I wouldn't miss anything. Truly a bitter sweet experience.

hamchan

sn00zer said:
Saw some video reviews for this movie....why does every review seem to have some sort of superiority complex? They are gleeful every time they say something bad and when ever they complement the movie its like they feel that what the movie did was obviously the correct thing to do...jeez

They feel the need to bash a niche film to make themselves feel better. A lot of people on GAF are doing it too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
lunarworks said:
I think part of the problem is that its target audience is the BitTorrent Generation.

For some reason people would rather see a shitty camrip on their laptop screen than pay to see it on a giant theatre screen with blazing colours and giant sound.
This is true. I was trying to persuade a co-worker on it yesterday and he was kind of unconvinced, saying "man, sell me on this movie or I'll just go home and download it instead of going to see it"

A bolt of inspiration hit though, and as soon as I said "Its like No More Heroes: The Movie" he was like "oh, awesome!"

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
lunarworks said:

OMG there's a camrip???

Joke! Good point well made though, it does seem that nerdy/tech savvy kids would rather get a freebie than support an awesome movie like this

jett

D-Member
sn00zer said:

Now some of you know what it was like to be a Speed Racer fan in 2008.

I'd like to see SP but it seems it will never be released theatrically here. Will have to wait for DVD.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
sn00zer said:
Some of the most negative reviews don't criticise the film as harsly as its audience. Animu bullshit, lolvideogames, Twilight for male teenagers and so on.

I'm slightly over 30 and turned my geek card as soon as my full time job forced me to do so, yet I still enjoy Scott Pilgrim in comic form and will possibly love the movie too. I don't think Scott Pilgrim has a maximum age of admission, it's simply catered towards people with a young heart in general. I showed some of the "good" trailers to my friends and they fell in love instantly. Hell, considering the sheer amount of retrogaming references I think that people of my age and a little older would enjoy it even more than some of the younglins, but videogames and comics still have this "nerd stuff" stigma attached to them...

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Yeah, weekend numbers finally came in.

Scott Pilgrim Bob-ombed.

Man, I loved the movie.

My email said:
Hello Robert, and congratulations!

You’ve been selected at random from thousands of applicants to receive two tickets (as requested) to the Grolsch & LWLies Presents screening of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World at the Duke Of York's on August 19.

2m2axw2.jpg

Matt_C

Saw the movie last night. I had a free movie pass and somehow I was allowed to use it on opening weekend oddly enough. It was spectacular and ranks in the top three movies of this summer. Dug the whole references throughout the movie and it felt satisfying at the end.

It should of had a cartoon short in the beginning of the movie though to whet the appetite of world of Scott Pilgrim but you are asking too much from perfection as it is.

I plan to see this again in the next few days and see it again, in a theater where it belongs before being sold at Amazon on Bluray.

Never imagined coins being so violent! I was expecting something like from Fantasy Zone or River City Ransom.

I hope the comics are sold on digital format in either on my iPod Touch or my PSP go. I have no room for graphic novels anymore since I am renting a room right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom