• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved when Scott thought it was 6am and opened up the door to blinding light. :lol

I always get that feeling when I don't have work or something and I wake up, that it's so much earlier and I either look outside or the clock and have a similar reaction.

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Has this been posted? Basically Wright's happy with the film's box office position.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/sce...im-director-happy-with-film-s-box-office-take
Good. He should be, it's a niche movie. One with the audacity to take two traditionally self-loathing countercultures (i.e. people WAY into music and people WAY into video games) and mash them into an energetic action-romantic-comedy of all things. Shame the (awesome) name of Scott's band makes for such an easy "bob-omb at the box office" headline.

Zaro said:
It didn't even do anything special/entertaining.

Avant-garde Brakhage-inspired flicker credits with quick flashes of symbols related to the credit shown is pretty special. Perfectly timed with the awesome music is quite entertaining. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone though. Also awesome that Tarantino helped him out with it.

onegoodlogan said:
Good. He should be, it's a niche movie. One with the audacity to take two traditionally self-loathing countercultures (i.e. people WAY into music and people WAY into video games) and mash them into an energetic action-romantic-comedy of all things. Shame the (awesome) name of Scott's band makes for such an easy "bob-omb at the box office" headline.

I said it in the other thread, but also I think that it will do well on home video, so even if it didn't meet expectations in the box office I'm pretty sure the DVD and Bluray versions will sell. I've never looked forward to a home release as much as I am with Scott Pilgrim. I really hope the commentary is something special, and that there's tons of behind the scenes stuff.

I haven't read any of the books, but I think I'm in love with this film. It's amazing. It rocked me to my core.

I did have several questions though:

1)
When Scott talks to Ramona at the party, there's a light switch, like, three feet above him, to the left. Why is there a light switch at such an inconvenient height?

2)
A number appears when the next Ex shows up (ex. Todd's t-shirt had a 3, the after party's building where Roxy attacks has a 4 on it, etc.), but I couldn't find a 5 or a 6 during the battle with the Katayanagi Twins, nor could I find a 7 when Gideon appeared. Where were those numbers?

big ander

The Awkward Wizard said:
2)
A number appears when the next Ex shows up (ex. Todd's t-shirt had a 3, the after party's building where Roxy attacks has a 4 on it, etc.), but I couldn't find a 5 or a 6 during the battle with the Katayanagi Twins, nor could I find a 7 when Gideon appeared. Where were those numbers?
I didn't spot the 7, but the 5 and 6 are definitely in the comics. Dunno if Wright just took them out because he figured people had caught on by then, or what.

The Awkward Wizard said:
I haven't read any of the books, but I think I'm in love with this film. It's amazing. It rocked me to my core.

1)
When Scott talks to Ramona at the party, there's a light switch, like, three feet above him, to the left. Why is there a light switch at such an inconvenient height?

2)

1) No one knows. The place where that scene was shot is designed that way and even the people working for the movie are looking for that answer.

2). Numbers were just there for the fuck of it symbolizing the order, and for those who pay attention to detail, which you did.

Kimosabae

Banned
Just saw this: too long and tried way too hard to be self-aware, way too often ("Pee Bar"? Why is that clever?). Also, too middle class white suburban for my tastes. As much as I like Michael Cera, he looked silly in the fight scenes. Really took away from the punch those scenes should have had. I want to root for Pilgrim generally because he's a nerd, but I want root for him in brawls because he's got the heart and swagger of a bad-ass. He still looks like a clown in those scenes. He couldn't sell me.

Videogame references are waaay to over the top for me towards the end. There's more "nerdy" things to mine outside videogames (I apologize if this is in harmony with the comic. Never read it).

Movie also seemed to have a problem keeping up its energy. Can't put my finger on it, but I wish the Wachowskis had a hand in this movie.

Overall, I liked the film - it speaks to the nerd in me - but I LOVED Kick-Ass. My personal favorite so far this year. Pilgrim really is a niche movie.

It's just not a nod to nerds, but repetitive, violent whiplash episodes imagined in candy-colored pixel art.

zumphry

Banned
FlightOfHeaven said:
Fuck, I've been listening to Threshold and Black Sheep.

I DON'T HAVE MONEY TO BLOW AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I actually bought the soundtrack yesterday mostly because that Streamer website doesn't have it streaming anymore. Totally worth it, (even though there is one band that I would've loved to see in the movie/soundtrack, but it's perfect as is) though.

Can't wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray(?) to see the full performances of songs.

D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D D

Expendable. said:
after a third watch, best opening credits in forever?

Yes! I mean, it's one of the best I've seen. Same with it being the best in awhile. Once I saw it, I knew that I was going to love the movie. Love the sketchy references to the characters when the respective actor's name pops up.

The Awkward Wizard said:

1)

2)

2) From Edgar Wright himself:
"5 and 6 are tricky but what do they add up to? 7 is part of Gideon's logo."

PTCoakley said:
I said it in the other thread, but also I think that it will do well on home video, so even if it didn't meet expectations in the box office I'm pretty sure the DVD and Bluray versions will sell. I've never looked forward to a home release as much as I am with Scott Pilgrim. I really hope the commentary is something special, and that there's tons of behind the scenes stuff.

It's going to be the first time I've ever pre-ordered a Blu-Ray.

hamchan

I love the soundtrack and the Sex Bob-omb songs. The intro music and Threshold are so good. I thought Sex Bob-omb are supposed to suck!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Expendable. said:
LA Times said:
But those qualities may have been a turn-off to a broader audience that doesn't read comics or play video games, particularly the young women that Universal hoped to attract by casting "Juno's" Michael Cera in the lead role. Only 36% of ticket buyers were women, a gender divide similar to that among comic book fans and video-game players.
Oh that burns :lol

I took a girl to that flick and she loved it... what the hell? :lol

LA Times said:
"For a few hours we were less moviegoer than we were cheering fanboys," said Patrick Klepek, a 25-year-old Los Feliz resident who edits a digital newsletter for gamers. "Who cares how much money the movie made? I'm just happy it exists."

Did he get mugged before or after the quote? :p

Tiktaalik

Just saw it in Vancouver, Canada. The 830 was sold out so we came back to a 80% packed 950 show later.

The movie was hilarious and very well done I feel. They followed the book quite well, keeping what was the core of the books and skirting around side plots that would have slowed the movie pacing too much. Overall it was a fantastic film.

Tiktaalik said:
Just saw it in Vancouver, Canada. The 830 was sold out so we came back to a 80% packed 950 show later.

The movie was hilarious and very well done I feel. They followed the book quite well, keeping what was the core of the books and skirting around side plots that would have slowed the movie pacing too much. Overall it was a fantastic film.

Tinseltown I take it?

I was gonna see the 8:30 but decided to see the 5:50 one. It was empty till about 5:45 where it was about 75% full.

It seems to be doing great here. On release day they had to add an 11 pm show to accomodate for the amount of people that showed up that couldn't get a ticket.

Vancouver fk yea

Tiktaalik

Yeah the movie went over pretty damn well where I was. Tons of laughs at everything. Someone a few pages ago mentioned that the Seinfeld jokes fell flat at his theatre but it got huge if not the most laughs where I was. Folks clapped at the end.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
As far as the majority of the non 13-29 year old male audience is concerned, they are the same genre.

As far as I'm concerned, they are all at risk of going extinct thanks to market saturation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rez said:
As far as the majority of the non 13-29 year old male audience is concerned, they are the same genre.

As far as I'm concerned, they are all at risk of going extinct thanks to market saturation.

I don't think that's true. Otherwise, we'd be having debates about something obscure like Ghost World.

kiryogi

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
I really want to see this again. I can't remember the last time I said that about a movie.

Me neither. I honestly if given the opportunities would watch it each and every single time. Seen it twice so far! :D

C-Jo

Tiktaalik said:
I went almost 90 minutes early for the 9:50 showing on opening night and barely got a seat. Go Vancouver.

Blackhead

Redarse
Rez said:

No, I'm pretty sure that age group can differentiate between an action movie, with a main character in his mid teens, and a romance, with a main character in his mid twenties (sly switch of Scott's age to 22 yrs notwithstanding). I don't believe the readership of the Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim comics overlap much either (I personally don't care for Kick-Ass and was practically forced to see the film by a friend when it arrived on DVD) and it's that core audience that the studio was relying on for positive word of mouth in both cases. IMO a smarter choice to be tracking Scott Pilgrim against would have been (500) Days of Summer (which only made $60 million *ahem*). A similar marketing would have been great.

It bugs me when anyone says the market for comic book movies are 'saturated'. Nobody ever says that about literature adaptations, or even memoir (to pick a popular genre) adaptations. The biggest properties (the supermans, batmans and spidermans) will continue to be around whatever happens. Maybe we won't see so many superhero type films green-lit but there is more to comic books source material than those. Until I see Maus or Love&Rockets make it to the big screen here isn't any reason for comicbook movies to go extinct.

p.s. In addition to a nomination for editing, the script writers for Scott pilgrim should get nominated for their adaption of the graphic novels.

p.p.s. Also want to see it again.

hamchan

kiryogi said:
Looks like one of my friends that saw it with me the first time wants to see it again :D Third time here I come!

avaramona.png

cool, you're using the same image as my old avatar, except shifted more to the right.

Seeing it for the second time tonight. Saw it for the first time about three weeks ago and the wait was KILLING me!! I was waiting to see it with a huge group of friends who I've been bugging, telling them it's one of the best movies I've seen in years.

Can't wait! :D

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I felt that this was lacking a lot of the depth and intelligence of the comics. Obviously the comic has more time to flesh characters out, but I think the story the comics tell-a progression of six battles Scott needs to face, while he goes through regular relationship issues at the same time-simply isn't suited to the under-2-hours comedy film template. I would have adapted things differently and could talk for a long time about where I think emphasis was placed wrongly, the wrong stuff was cut/included, but ultimately this story probably needed to be radically reimagined to work in such a short film.
I also felt that by the end the effects-barrage had become numbing. The fights were cool, but lacking sufficient emotional grounding to remain truly interesting.

That said, there is a lot of energy and fun in here, especially in the first half. I did find the Seinfeld reference hilarious. Also interesting how a lot of the secondary jokes in the comic are great here, while the highlights of the comic sometimes fall a little flat. Speaks to the differences in the mediums.
The scene where the camera darts around everyone's faces at the Rockit, anime-style, was fantastic. Also, I loved the opening credits.
I must give credit to Edgar Wright as a director, because when I read a draft script of this a year ago (which the final version has improved-upon, but is still quite faithful to), much of the material was just dead on the page, but here it really comes to life.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Charred Greyface said:
No, I'm pretty sure that age group can differentiate between an action movie, with a main character in his mid teens, and a romance, with a main character in his mid twenties (sly switch of Scott's age to 22 yrs notwithstanding). I don't believe the readership of the Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim comics overlap much either (I personally don't care for Kick-Ass and was practically forced to see the film by a friend when it arrived on DVD) and it's that core audience that the studio was relying on for positive word of mouth in both cases. IMO a smarter choice to be tracking Scott Pilgrim against would have been (500) Days of Summer (which only made $60 million *ahem*). A similar marketing would have been great.

It bugs me when anyone says the market for comic book movies are 'saturated'. Nobody ever says that about literature adaptations, or even memoir (to pick a popular genre) adaptations. The biggest properties (the supermans, batmans and spidermans) will continue to be around whatever happens. Maybe we won't see so many superhero type films green-lit but there is more to comic books source material than those. Until I see Maus or Love&Rockets make it to the big screen here isn't any reason for comicbook movies to go extinct.

p.s. In addition to a nomination for editing, the script writers for Scott pilgrim should get nominated for their adaption of the graphic novels.

p.p.s. Also want to see it again.
"non-13-29 year old male"

All I can say is continue watching the declining box-office figures of these movies. :(

They need a bit of a hiatus (a year or more), then a totally rethought marketing campaign

Finally was able to get out and see this last night. While I did enjoy it immensely there was this underlying sense of disappointment in that some of that my favorite aspects books were changed or removed completely. This happened more so in the second half of the movie which you could roughly equate to books 4-6, so it should be no surprise that to hear that I enjoyed the first half of the move more than the second. I suppose part of my disappointment is because the graphic novels are very fresh in my mind (I only read them about two weeks ago), so any change they make are more jarring than they would be otherwise.

In the end though my disappointment in certain aspects of the move does not make it a bad movie. Wright was tasked with a pretty difficult task, taking six books and cramming them into one two hour movie and for the most part it came out fantastic. The pacing was great, fast and very few dull moments (though I thought the movie could have easily spent 15-20 minutes developing the latter exes and Envy more). I thought the cast was just about perfect, and the Vegan police cameo came out of nowhere but was great too.

I am somewhat negative about the changes that were made but in the end Wright was tasked with making a movie, not a graphic novel and agree that some changes had to be made to make it work as a movie. In the end it was much more faithful to the source material than many adaptations are, so I really can't complain too much, and regardless I enjoyed it!

big ander said:
And I wouldn't call her homely, certainly Kendrick and MEW and Plaza and Larson are better looking, but those are some pretty goddamn hot people.
i thought winstead was pretty darn unattractive

silentspork said:
Wright was tasked with a pretty difficult task, taking six books and cramming them into one six hour movie and for the most part it came out fantastic.

wait, what?

Oddly enough the soundtrack for the game just popped up on the Internet jukebox at my bar. 24 tracks, marked as released. Is it available for purchase anywhere?

El Pescado said:
Oddly enough the soundtrack for the game just popped up on the Internet jukebox at my bar. 24 tracks, marked as released. Is it available for purchase anywhere?

The 24th? Or the 25th. One of those two dates.

El Pescado said:
It's brilliant, isn't it?

Will be available HERE: http://www.abkco.com/#/store/releas...-world-the-game-original-videogame-soundtrack on August 24th. That page will just link you to iTunes, so you could also skip the middleman and check there in a week.

Here's the official annoucement from Anamanaguchi: http://twitter.com/anamanaguchi/status/21316824042

I saw it yesterday and I liked it more than I thought I would. I thought the very beginning and ending weren't great but there was a bunch of good movie in there. Wallace actually made the movie for me; so many of the other characters felt more underplayed. The changes to the second half story were the right move to make to get this movie under 2 hours. Also, they should have left
Negascott out completely
, that joke died. The best thing about the style were the effects and how the fighting was done. Just the right amount of effects that looked drawn and over the top combat (I laughed really hard when
Scoot was tossed over set into the castle. It's that kind of animated effect you don't see done in a file very well that often).

I'll get it when it comes to BR.

BobTheFork said:
I saw it yesterday and I liked it more than I thought I would. I thought the very beginning and ending weren't great but there was a bunch of good movie in there. Wallace actually made the movie for me; so many of the other characters felt more underplayed. The changes to the second half story were the right move to make to get this movie under 2 hours. Also, they should have left
Negascott out completely
, that joke died. The best thing about the style were the effects and how the fighting was done. Just the right amount of effects that looked drawn and over the top combat (I laughed really hard when
Scoot was tossed over set into the castle. It's that kind of animated effect you don't see done in a file very well that often).

I'll get it when it comes to BR.
Negascott was hilarious IMO.

MisterHero

I really liked all the actors in the movie. It's probably my theater but this movie may have been a bit too loud. :lol

NegaScott
was awesome.

"Be good!"

also

"I think he just left."

*Scott CRASHES through window*

"reaches in for jacket*

I saw it and liked some of the cleverness of the scene transitions and editing, but I would have had a hard time recommending the movie to anyone.

The part that bothered me the most since I'm not familiar with the source material is that Scott was apparently killed, but gets a magical re-do. At that point, I lost all doubt that anything could keep him from his happy ending.

I don't know. I think it wouldn't have hurt if the movie had way more Envy, Flowers coming in way later in the movie, and maybe just one of Flowers' exes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom