• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made this last June when it was shown in the 3rd trailer

_dementia said:
4raqx.gif

polyh3dron said:
Negascott was hilarious IMO.
Fair enough. It just felt strangely tacked on.

IMO this movie is a perfect example of a property becoming a moive that can't possibly contain everything in 2 hours. You have give and take: you get some dead on shots and scenes and parts but was way too much story there. I thought making it more about
the battle of the bands and having them not break up later was a decent move. There could be improvements though. I thought they should have at least hinted that Todd was cheating in Nat, but there's no real reason to do it if you aren't going to explore their relationship anymore than what was there (basically nothing). Also, I didn't like that they actually had Ramon go back to Gideon for the ending. I thought it was a big moment in the comic when they showed she didn't leave Scoot for Gideon, she just left.
It's minor stuff but if you have one shot to show people this semi-long story, they did it the right way.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
big ander said:
And I wouldn't call her homely, certainly Kendrick and MEW and Plaza and Larson are better looking, but those are some pretty goddamn hot people. The girls in this movie are just hot overall.
At one point in the movie my wife turned to me and said "that girl is so ugly."

mooooose

You feel way more emotion and attachment in the comics just because of the sheer length. Scott Pilgrim is a series where everything has a purpose, and even the "filler" is there for you to grow fond of relationships and characters. All the missing subplots were understandable though, because in the span of 2 hours, it just becomes too much. As a movie there are only two real focuses: 1) Battle of the Bands. 2) Ramona and the League.

Adding subplots to a really confusing story told in 2 hours is a receipe for disaster, especially for those who didn't read the comics.

mooooose said:
You feel way more emotion and attachment in the comics just because of the sheer length. Scott Pilgrim is a series where everything has a purpose, and even the "filler" is there for you to grow fond of relationships and characters. All the missing subplots were understandable though, because in the span of 2 hours, it just becomes too much. As a movie there are only two real focuses: 1) Battle of the Bands. 2) Ramona and the League.

Adding subplots to a really confusing story told in 2 hours is a receipe for disaster, especially for those who didn't read the comics.

Exactly. Just think of the movie as an abridged version with some new twists. Already pushing nearly 2 hours, I would have to say that it would feel like it was dragging on if it added another 15-20min. It's better to save that stuff for the director's cut so that real fans can enjoy it while not punishing the majority of people who just wouldn't care
about seeing Kim and Knives' kissing
(it was filmed apparently, just not used).

Anyways, comic books aren't sacred material when going through the movie-making process, and SP is no different than anything else that made the transition.

farnham

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
I saw it and liked some of the cleverness of the scene transitions and editing, but I would have had a hard time recommending the movie to anyone.

The part that bothered me the most since I'm not familiar with the source material is that Scott was apparently killed, but gets a magical re-do. At that point, I lost all doubt that anything could keep him from his happy ending.

I don't know. I think it wouldn't have hurt if the movie had way more Envy, Flowers coming in way later in the movie, and maybe just one of Flowers' exes.
no more knives

because knives is awesome

also

more kim pine

aparisi2274

Lance Bone Path said:
I saw it and liked some of the cleverness of the scene transitions and editing, but I would have had a hard time recommending the movie to anyone.

The part that bothered me the most since I'm not familiar with the source material is that Scott was apparently killed, but gets a magical re-do. At that point, I lost all doubt that anything could keep him from his happy ending.

I don't know. I think it wouldn't have hurt if the movie had way more Envy, Flowers coming in way later in the movie, and maybe just one of Flowers' exes.

In the books:

Envy is prominently featured in the ending scenes at Gideon's club

Knives fights Ramona at the mall, not at the end like the Movie

In the book the reason why Ramona can't forget Gideon is because he literally took up shop in her head through the subspace door, and has the part of Ramona who likes him as a prisoner, and scott has to fight a 80ft tall monster version in her head, until all the other parts of Ramona come out to help finish Gideon

In the book the twins fight Scott with robots, not during a band battle.

In the books, Scott and Envy kind of make up and become friends again, there is much more of a flushed out story with them in teh book

Kim Pine also has a very lengthy storyline with Scott in the books and is not relegated to just a background character on the drums.

I am sure I can keep going, but

i listened to edgar talked about this on /film. edgar and universal had the rights and wanted to do this even before the second book came out.

soyboy

BobTheFork said:
Fair enough. It just felt strangely tacked on.

IMO this movie is a perfect example of a property becoming a moive that can't possibly contain everything in 2 hours. You have give and take: you get some dead on shots and scenes and parts but was way too much story there. I thought making it more about
the battle of the bands and having them not break up later was a decent move. There could be improvements though. I thought they should have at least hinted that Todd was cheating in Nat, but there's no real reason to do it if you aren't going to explore their relationship anymore than what was there (basically nothing). Also, I didn't like that they actually had Ramon go back to Gideon for the ending. I thought it was a big moment in the comic when they showed she didn't leave Scoot for Gideon, she just left.
It's minor stuff but if you have one shot to show people this semi-long story, they did it the right way.

I totally agree with this.

Really needed to be about half an hour to an hour longer but there was no way they could cram everything that happened in the comic into the film. I'm hoping there's an extended cut available for the home video release.

Blackhead

Redarse
Let's not forget that the film was practically complete before book 6 was even written. The film was always going to have a different ending from the books. For once I don't mind too much

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Charred Greyface said:
Let's not forget that the film was practically complete before book 6 was even written. The film was always going to have a different ending from the books.
Didn't they do reshoots after Wright knew what book 6 would entail? I thought they changed the very last end sequence so it would better match the book?

Yes, it originally was going to have a different ending, but it ended up being closer than what it was.

I still think the best ending would've been Scott not ending up with anyone specifically and just learning a lot about himself. It would allow everyone to show some maturity/character growth, plus make it easier to (however unlikely) allow for a sequel.

XiaNaphryz said:
Didn't they do reshoots after Wright knew what book 6 would entail? I thought they changed the very last end sequence so it would better match the book?

Yes, it originally was going to have a different ending, but it ended up being closer than what it was.

I still think the best ending would've been Scott not ending up with anyone specifically and just learning a lot about himself. It would allow everyone to show some maturity/character growth, plus make it easier to (however unlikely) allow for a sequel.

I had actually read somewhere that even some stuff that ended up in Finest Hour was slightly influenced by earlier drafts of the film script.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Edgar Wright: For the record, am pretty damn happy to have a Top 5 movie and a top 5 album in the US. Never had either before.

Can't fault the guy for his great optimism :D

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm in the mood to hear a discussion on SP... is there any kind of podcast out there with O'Malley, Wright, the cast, etc? Or even just a fan discussion?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MisterHero said:
"I think he just left."

*Scott CRASHES through window*

"reaches in for jacket*

Everyone in the theater died laughing at this part, like, the loudest they laughed the whole movie. I just chuckled. The funniest parts, I'm sorry, were the gay jokes.
"I don't want you gaying up the place." Hahahaha Scott's brother and all events around him stole the show.

Foob

Tashi0106 said:
Everyone in the theater died laughing at this part, like, the loudest they laughed the whole movie. I just chuckled. The funniest parts, I'm sorry, were the gay jokes.
"I don't want you gaying up the place." Hahahaha Scott's brother and all events around him stole the show.
Scotts brother isn't in the movie

BocoDragon

Einbroch said:
The lowest drop of all the top ten. A sign?
It's gonna turn right around and become the next Avatar!

Tashi0106 said:
That's not his brother.. it's just his roommate.

Trojita

Einbroch said:
The lowest drop of all the top ten. A sign?

Cool, Scott Pilgrim ticket sales are steadier than the rest of the movies at least. Some of the movies dropped down by half on Monday.

Trojita

Tashi0106 said:

Me thinks someone didn't realize why it was even weirder
that they were sleeping in the same bed together.

BocoDragon said:
I'm in the mood to hear a discussion on SP... is there any kind of podcast out there with O'Malley, Wright, the cast, etc? Or even just a fan discussion?

Screened.com(from Giant Bomb producers Whiskey Media) should have their movie podcast up tonight. They'll probably have a lengthy discussion considering they gave the film good marks in their review.

BocoDragon

VisionaryQuest0 said:
Screened.com(from Giant Bomb producers Whiskey Media) should have their movie podcast up tonight. They'll probably have a lengthy discussion considering they gave the film good marks in their review.
Cool... I'll subscribe. Love Giant Bomb so I might as well jump on board..

BocoDragon said:
Awesome awesome.... I've got hours of SP to digest :D

Yeah, lots of interesting stuff about how the screenplay effected the comics and vice-versa.

"You had a sexy phase?!?"
actually originated from the screenplay.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw this at one of the Uk advance screenings, a good mix of all ages and everyone seemed to love it.

Also, this film was probably the funnest experience i've had at the cinema this year.

BocoDragon

derFeef said:
I'm listening to this podcast right now.... and one of the things that struck me is that apparently the studio was interested in Scott Pilgrim before the first book was even published... and the studio showed the book to Edgar Wright. That's how he got involved so early...

How on earth does it happen that Hollywood is interested in some psuedo-indie comic before it even hits stands? Maybe someone at Oni press got in touch with the studio?

I guess the concept is inherently "youth cred" combined with a more superhero action hook... there's something that is appealing to Hollywood in it (although perhaps not so much in retrospect).

Blackhead

Redarse
BocoDragon said:
I'm listening to this podcast right now.... and one of the things that struck me is that apparently the studio was interested in Scott Pilgrim before the first book was even published... and the studio showed the book to Edgar Wright. That's how he got involved so early...

How on earth does it happen that Hollywood is interested in some psuedo-indie comic before it even hits stands? Maybe someone at Oni press got in touch with the studio?
Yeah I recently read *somewhere* that a few indie comics companies have established such relationships with film studios. I didn't think it was that way in 2004 though :0

Awesome movie. But (spoilers for the movie and comics):

Needed more Envy.
Lucas Lee was awesome, but I was disappointed that they nixed his nice-guy persona from the comics.
The lack of Lisa didn't make sense, since she was such an important aspect of their relationship.
The Twins seemed really under-utilized, though the scene was admittedly AMAZING.
Stephen Stills needed to turn gay damn it!
Neil's whole dick phase was unfortunately missing.
The replacement of Ramona trying to find herself with Gideon possessing her was kinda weak. On top of that, Ramona felt like an object of Scott's affection; unless I missed something, I didn't notice any real reason for Ramona to have fallen for Scott. She kinda kept her cold personality throughout the whole movie, unfortunately.

But I'll be nice and list the things I loved [still spoilers for the movie and comics!]!

Vegan Police were awesome. The high five made them that much better than the comics' incarnation.
Mark Webber is Stephen Stills.
Roxie is still just as great as she was in the comics.
Michael Cera impressed me, where I used to think that he wasn't fit for the role.
The music was fucking awesome, the heart of the film even.
The casting was perfect!

Though of course, some of my complaints I don't care for by the virtue that it would not have fit into the film without being too drawn-out. Still, some of it I think could have worked out better than it did.

BocoDragon

Charred Greyface said:
Yeah I recently read *somewhere* that a few indie comics companies have established such relationships with film studios. I didn't think it was that way in 2004 though :0
Think about it: Post-Spiderman 2 era. X-Men 3 and Superman Returns in development. Comic book movies were HOT.

phalestine

aka iby.h
I was smiling through out the whole film. it was a bit different than the books, but thats ok. I did feel that if you didn't read the books you might be a little lost. Overall, great film and great music :)

Reprise

Neo Member
I (a 33 yr old) saw it last night, never read the comics but thought i'd rather see an "original" idea movie than the expendables ... loved it! so many funny bits and the action (which took a while to get used to) was pretty cool, Cera was good (don't really get the hate) and was moving pretty fluidly in the battle scenes at the end.

Even my missus, a very girly girl liked it a lot, so i think it's got a good chance to do better box office wise when word spreads around.

btw, what was the intro music at the start? it set the scene for the movie perfectly.

BocoDragon

aha... in that Q&A Brian O'Malley said that Clash at Demonhead was randomly his first Nintendo game that his mom bought for him. That explains it.

It's a pretty interesting twist of fate that turns an OBSCURE AS HELL NES game (which was nothing more than an America-wash of an equally obscure anime Famicom game) into a super hot band featured in a Hollywood movie.

If I made the comics, it would be set in Vancouver and feature an underground hop-hop group called the "M.C. Kids" :D

whitehawk

Banned
Holy shit, HOLY SHIT. I just saw this movie, and basically right now I'm the duck on the right.

torrent-svp.jpg

SO AMAZING@! AUFUHAUFH

I didn't know exactly what to expect, but I was completely impressed. Amazing action, michael Cera was perfect, I laughed throughout the movie SEVERAL times (as well as the whole theatre) and just loved every bit of it.

Movie of The Year for me. Holy shit.

Trojita

Expendable. said:
the writer of AMERICAN PSYCHO @BretEastonEllis

Hated every minute of "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" (except for about 45 seconds with Brandon Routh). Excruciating. The geeks were wrong...

Well fuck him. He can say the "geeks" were wrong but how the hell is he going to say that to an overwhelming majority of movie reviewers that gave it excellent scores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom