• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owensboro

So it's No More Heroes....the movie?....kind of? I've never heard of this comic series, but I will say this: That trailer is awesome, and makes me want to see the movie. Mission Accomplished trailer, well done.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
_dementia said:
No More Heroes is Scott Pilgrim... the game?

I just might have to play it.
Not quite, though I get where people see the similarity - in NMH, the protagonist is trying to get with a girl but she agrees only if he becomes the #1 ranked assassin. Meaning he has to defeat the 10 higher ranked assassins to get there (he becomes ranked #11 at the start).

Besides that, NMH is not very similar at all to the SP comics.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Kevin Smith likes everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_EkvOCjc9A&fmt=18

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Owensboro said:
So it's No More Heroes....the movie?....kind of? I've never heard of this comic series, but I will say this: That trailer is awesome, and makes me want to see the movie. Mission Accomplished trailer, well done.
That's actually a good comparison. Super geek boy somehow goes on a videogame adventure in the real world.

randomwab

BocoDragon said:
That's actually a good comparison. Super geek boy somehow goes on a videogame adventure in the real world.

Yeah, I'd agree. It's like Scott Pilgrim is a Western nerd vs. Travis Touchdown as a Japanese otaku.

randomwab

XiaNaphryz said:
Except NMH doesn't have the awesome ensemble cast or character interaction.

I was just talking about the main characters. Scott Pilgrim rolls over No More Heroes, though NMH doesn't really have many characters outside of the ranked assassins.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
AgentWhiskersX said:
And the way he acquires it is awesome.

it's fucking brilliant and if everyone on GAF understands the scene from the movie it they will be 80% less girl age threads

Not a Jellyfish said:
I want to see how they do the "subspace" scenes, I love those panels. :D

I'd hazard a guess that they'll be just like in the manga. I think one of the most appealing elements in the comics was that they just went though the supernatural elements casually. Where as mangas traditionally get caught up in and make the physics of supernatural abilities a major part of the narrative.

So in a sense the Scott Pilgrim books were much more low key than any of their competitors; focusing on character interaction, development and then just throwing crazy superheroics in because the people reading it already are aware of the conventions.

However as a film the manga craziness is already a huge selling point, just as the comic elements of Sin City were. I just find it interesting to see such a huge change in focusdespite it attempting to stay completely loyal to the source material. It's almost as thought it's appeal is inverted in different media.

Tim-E

Anamanaguchi just announced they are doing the music to the SP video game, which is awesome as fuck.

If you don't know who they are, go here and listen to their album Dawn Metropolis that released last year. They're a perfect fit, I think. Especially if the game is going to be a sidescrolling beat-em-up like rumored.

ezekial45

Banned
Tim-E said:
Anamanaguchi just announced they are doing the music to the SP video game, which is awesome as fuck.

If you don't know who they are, go here and listen to their album Dawn Metropolis that released last year. They're a perfect fit, I think. Especially if the game is going to be a sidescrolling beat-em-up like rumored.

Nice choice. We're supposed to see some footage of the game at PAX East this weekend.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Tim-E said:

bwahaha :lol

those guys ROCK live, a million times better live than on record. record is too chiptunes, live is super fucking epic with chiptune inspiration. the guys are super nice, too. hilarious to hear about them outside of our circle of friends.

Spirit of Jazz said:
1) I think one of the most appealing elements in the comics was that they just went though the supernatural elements casually.

I just find it interesting to see such a huge change in focusdespite it attempting to stay completely loyal to the source material. It's almost as thought it's appeal is inverted in different media.

1) i feel the same way. lucky for us, it's very faithfully translated to the film.

2) the trailer makes the focus on those effects, but they are subtle nods and punctuations in the movie, NOT the star. the star is an exceptional love story that everyone knows because we live it.

rikichi

Tim-E said:

awesome news indeed!

*praises for the game to be at least semi-decent*

Has it been stated yet if the art in the game is going to be based on the books or the movie? I'm really hoping it looks like an early '90s arcade game, but that's just wishful thinking.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
onegoodlogan said:
Has it been stated yet if the art in the game is going to be based on the books or the movie? I'm really hoping it looks like an early '90s arcade game, but that's just wishful thinking.
I don't think anything's been revealed about the game aside from the genre and who's developing it (Ubisoft Montreal).

DKehoe

I saw the trailer yesterday at the cinema while seeing Kickass (not the first time I had seen the trailer though) and the KO sound effect was a lot quieter than in the online version. Dunno whether it was just my imagination, due to the screen I was in or if the cinema version is actually different.

Tim-E said:

Yesssssss, this is great news. It'd be great if their stuff ends up in the movie too, as unlikely as that is.

evil ways

Michael Cera is 21? How come he looks, sounds and acts like a 14 year old boy?

I mean, for God's sake the girl playing his love intrest sounds like she has a deeper voice than him in the trailer. I know the wimpy, nerdy underachiever character is a hot thing these days, but damn. Looks stylish and good though, the movie I mean, plus Jason Schwartzman is in it.

impressions from a screening over at Criterion forum:
..The sound effect words are indeed littered throughout the film, but often rather subtly, at least as opposed to the giant THRAK!s of the fight scenes.

Now, I know relatively nothing of the comic series. The film itself is more colorful than the trailer leads one to believe. What I loved, besides the very obvious Edgar Wright style humor strewn throughout, is that the entire film operates on video game logic. I assume the series is like this as well. The fight scenes are insanely over the top and drawn out until Scott wins, the enemy turns into a heap of coins he casually collects, then appears as if he is just a little tired after the whole ordeal. The film is like a 7 tiered video game boss fight. A lot of wonderful video game touches, such as the opening universal logo being entirely pixelated and the standard theme being programmed with NES-like sound. Also, at one point Scott needs to escape an uncomfortable social situation and retreats to the bathroom where the soothing Legend of Zelda title screen music plays. He pees and a "pee-life bar" slowly diminishes. But what I love is that you can see the reflection of the bar in the bathroom mirror. Simple, silly, but wonderful.

The film also understands how hipster-aimed the story and characters are and attempts to have fun with the fact. Brandon Routh is a telekinetic vegan who attended vegan academy. "How do you have these powers?" asks Scott. "I'm Vegan. We're better than everyone else". Again, simple and silly, but works wonderfully in context.

Never read or even aware of the comic. Saw the trailer and it looks all sorts of retarded.

I REALLY can't stand Cera... at all.

Jintor

Cannot. Wait.

August 13th is WORLDWIDE, yeah? AUSTRALIA WILL GET THE MOVIE SAME TIME AS EVERYBODY ELSE, RIGHT?!?

I seriously don't think I could wait if it didn't. I might camp outside a cinema for this one.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Jintor said:
August 13th is WORLDWIDE, yeah? AUSTRALIA WILL GET THE MOVIE SAME TIME AS EVERYBODY ELSE, RIGHT?!?

well, slightly before everyone except NZ if it's worldwide :O

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Jintor said:
Cannot. Wait.

I seriously don't think I could wait if it didn't. I might camp outside a cinema for this one.
In Australia it comes out on August 26.
Incidentally, this is also my birthday. Don't screw this up, Edgar Wright!

icarus-daedelus said:
That's just silly.

yeah I have no idea why a new one was made, oh well. More people knowing about the film will be good. I plan to use this one as hype/reviews, etc. One long ass thread chronicling our hype! :lol

I'll update it for a Rottenwatch closer to release.

seat

jecclr2003 said:
Never read or even aware of the comic. Saw the trailer and it looks all sorts of retarded.
I've never read the comic but the trailer looks great.

This movie's by the guy who directed Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. Why would anyone say this movie looks retarded?

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I've watched this trailer so many times. It's hypnotic.
Just wanted to commend you on the extremely long username and the way it stretches the Last Post column. A job well done.

As for the movie... massive levels of excitement building.

I had no idea who or what Scott Pilgrim was until two weeks ago but thanks to GAF, I've discovered one of the best comics I've ever read. I'm so looking forward to the movie as well. Though I think Cera really isn't Scott Pilgrim.

Posted this in the trailer thread as well, but just wanted to say you win GAF. I'm officially on the bandwagon. Read Volume 1 last night and loved it. Have Volume 2 at home and will be ordering the rest.

Never read the comic or even heard about this franchise before.

That said, this trailer looks awesome and I'll be seeing this movie day one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom