• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught Scott Pilgrim earlier this afternoon, and had a fuckin' blast. There weren't many people in the theater (I caught the early 1:20 show on a Tuesday after all), but those who were there loved the film as there were constant chuckles all around. All in all, I would pay to see it again, which is the highest compliment I can give it.

castlegar

Haven't seen these posted yet - amazing Lucas Lee movie posters from the film (from filmdrunk.com)

Lucas-Lee-poste.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster2.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster3.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster4.jpg

Lucas-Lee-poster5.jpg

way more

Expendable. said:
the writer of AMERICAN PSYCHO @BretEastonEllis

Pretty funny given that Ellis writes fiction about such a marginally small segment of society. Rich, white, entitled and debased youngsters. His demographic is probably just as small as the Scott Pilgrim one (hipsters and teens.)

Ominym

Banned
Saw it tonight, and haven't read the comic books. All I really knew was some passerby information, but that aside I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sad it hasn't done better, but I'll be sure to buy it on Bluray when it comes out.

Pappasman

I just saw it for a second time (it's still awesome). After the movie my brother immediately asked me If he could borrow my 6 volumes of SP :D .

Saw it last night at a preview showing here in the UK - loved it. Wright added so many great little touches like the
Zelda sounds and the 8-bit sword effect
. Having read the comics, obviously there is stuff I would have liked to see, but the movie is great.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Charred Greyface said:
I just got through rereading the 6 volumes of the comic and I'm going to see the film again tomorrow. A bit nervous.
Why would you be nervous about a repeat viewing?

soultron

Banned
Read all of the books yesterday. Loved them.

Saw the movie today. I had such a great time. It was really, really different from the books (cutting flash backs and character subplots, mostly in the interest of time) but it was still a great take on what Scott Pilgrim tries to express as a story. The humour was off the fucking wall. The Seinfeld bit had me literally slapping my knee it was so funny. Vegan police as well.

Funny thing; I had to pee really bad (my pee bar was maxed) and I had to rush out against my will -- I totally ran to the bathroom and back because I didn't want to miss anything -- but I figured peeing in the washroom would be better than pissing my pants from laughing. (I'm dead serious.)

Cera was great in the movie. The visual cues taken from the comics were really good too. It nailed the style and video game-y homages really well.

Gonna see it again tomorrow. I will do everything in my power to make Oni, Universal, and BLOM their money's worth from making such a great movie. Gonna buy this shit on DVD, Blu-Ray, Laser Disc, VHS, you name it.

soultron

Banned
mileS said:
you read all 6 in one day soultron?
Yeah. I had to do it or the comic book guy in me would be just wondering how much different the book was in this or that part the entire time while watching the movie. With my comic book adaptations, I actually require knowing the source material before I see it.

Took me a good 6-7 hours. Good thing it was my day off! :p

Expendable. said:
the writer of AMERICAN PSYCHO @BretEastonEllis

Ouch, sucks since I enjoy a lot of Brets books. Funny how he's ragging on Scott Pilgrim though, since his most famous book, The Rules of Attraction, is very "hipsterish" and probably appeals to the same crowd.

Also, the dude who played the drug dealer in the movie version of The Rules of Attraction was one of the Vegan Police in Scott Pilgrim.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Charred Greyface said:
Let's not forget that the film was practically complete before book 6 was even written. The film was always going to have a different ending from the books. For once I don't mind too much
The film was going to end with
Scott ending up with Knives. That's what Ramona was actually alluding to with "maybe I'm not the one you should have been fighting for" (rejiggered through reshoots to be a comment about self respect) and "You two make a great combo."

Man, Ramona was so unlikable in this film. I've always defended her against the 'she's a bitch' haters, but in the film version I would agree with them. Why is she his dream girl? She's pretty and that's it.

Oh man, for those that are in the Montreal area, stay the fuck away from the only theater showing it, the AMC 22. Dear god, the sound was Stereo throughout the whole movie, only coming out of the front of the screen. Blargh.

I kept telling my friends that the song at the beginning sets the mood for the whole picture (It literally kicked my ass when I saw it at Fantasia, the sound was all around us and was at a really decent volume). But this was......so hard for me. I was concentrating to hear the voices and music. My friends didn't really notice but I was so disappointed. Mainly because I have to wait for the blu-ray to see it again. :(

Blackhead

Redarse
Krev said:
The film was going to end with
Scott ending up with Knives. That's what Ramona was actually alluding to with "maybe I'm not the one you should have been fighting for" (rejiggered through reshoots to be a comment about self respect) and "You two make a great combo."

Man, Ramona was so unlikable in this film. I've always defended her against the 'she's a bitch' haters, but in the film version I would agree with them. Why is she his dream girl? She's pretty and that's it.
No, because she's literally his dream girl; she's in his dreams! they didn't really get part from the comic across in the film.

I'm still sighing at the Knives/Ramona thing. Maybe hats why they changed Scotts age to 22 so i wouldnt look to bad hehe. One reviewer even suggested that Scott ended up with the wrong girl. I guess at the end of book 5, with Ramona disappearing, Kim leaving and Envy not even in the picture, I might seem plausible that Scott ended up with Knives.... Why didn't Edgar wright just wait for the series to be finished first before writing the screenplay? What was the rush? Or did they initially plan to make a sequel then decided to squeeze everything into one movie later on?

XiaNaphryz said:
Why would you be nervous about a repeat viewing?
I just read the comics again and I don't know if the film will hold up after that initial thrill.

Charred Greyface said:
No, because she's literally his dream girl; she's in his dreams! they didn't really get part from the comic across in the film.

I'm still sighing at the Knives/Ramona thing. Maybe hats why they changed Scotts age to 22 so i wouldnt look to bad hehe. One reviewer even suggested that Scott ended up with the wrong girl. I guess at the end of book 5, with Ramona disappearing, Kim leaving and Envy not even in the picture, I might seem plausible that Scott ended up with Knives.... Why didn't Edgar wright just wait for the series to be finished first before writing the screenplay? What was the rush? Or did they initially plan to make a sequel then decided to squeeze everything into one movie later on?

I just read the comics again and I don't know if the film will hold up after that initial thrill.

When funding for a project comes along, you don't always get the freedom to wait; you have to scoop up the chance while it's there, or else you might not be able to do it at all.

Personally, I don't care that the movie diverged from the books; I thought it was a totally satisfying work all on its own.

Chorazin

butter_stick said:
Ramona is a sexy hipster. They really shouldn't need to explain why she's his dream girl.

I don't recall her doing anything just for irony's sake in the movies or comics, so she's not a hipster.

Krev said:
Damn, sorry man.
Doesn't really spoil anything except a probable DVD extra though.

Pretty off-topic, but for some totally bizzare reason the Panda in your avatar reminds me of Jonah Hill.:lol

On topic: Ramona is a totally babe, brightly colored hair = win.

falastini

The sales figures are a little disappointing, but then again, if it weren't for GAF I probably wouldn't have seen it either. I didn't know what Scott Pilgrim was, and outside of Arrested Development, I wasn't a Cera fan. Thanks GAF!

Hopefully word of mouth gives it a second wind. I know I told my friends.

MNC

ezekial45 said:
That was the original ending, but they changed it.
Hrm. So it was the ending to the early screenings? Interesting. So it'll be a BR deleted scene most likely. Okay, keeping that in mind I'm not so pissed anymore :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ramona changes her hair color every five minutes. If anyone's hipster in Scott Pilgrim's world, it's her.

Haunted

oh god those Lucas Lee posters! :lol

_dementia said:
I made this last June when it was shown in the 3rd trailer
That is awesome. I wish someone would make one starting a bit earlier - where he runs to the right and immediately flies through the window on the left. :lol

LCfiner

SketchTheArtist said:
Oh man, for those that are in the Montreal area, stay the fuck away from the only theater showing it, the AMC 22. Dear god, the sound was Stereo throughout the whole movie, only coming out of the front of the screen. Blargh.

I kept telling my friends that the song at the beginning sets the mood for the whole picture (It literally kicked my ass when I saw it at Fantasia, the sound was all around us and was at a really decent volume). But this was......so hard for me. I was concentrating to hear the voices and music. My friends didn't really notice but I was so disappointed. Mainly because I have to wait for the blu-ray to see it again. :(

hold up. I saw this at a Guzzo theatre over the weekend. you telling me it's already been kicked out that chain?

It's not even playing at the Scotia Bank downtown?

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

edit: I had to check:

http://www.cinemamontreal.com/showtimes/37220/Scott_Pilgrim_vs__the_World.html

lots of theatres...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
If they had waited for book 6 to be finished, the main beneficiary would have been Gideon. Perfect casting but most of his lines were movie-exclusive and you could tell.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Charred Greyface said:
Why didn't Edgar wright just wait for the series to be finished first before writing the screenplay? What was the rush?
When the studio gives you funding, you use it when you can. Besides, they started thinking about doing a movie shortly after the first book came out - you expect a studio would actually sit and wait 5 or 6 years for all the material to come out before beginning pre-production?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom