• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw it last night and thought it was amazing! The theater was packed and they laughed and were totally into it, but I do see this movie having a specific audience. If you have a Cinebarre near you (or similar theater) go see it there if you can. Having a beer or a root beer float while watching just makes it more of a gaming experience if you ask me.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
MNC said:
You better not! :mad:
Scott Pilgrim is male!
He wears shirts!
Ramona has colored hair!
Funny things happen!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

RubxQub

Scullibundo said:
I think he's referring to RagingSpaniard's post.
I'm just messing around.

Saw this movie again last night and loved it just as much as the first.

Seeing it again tomorrow, hoping for a theater with better sound this time. The music was lost on me mostly. :(. Still loved it though, hoping to love it just as much. :)

I've seen it 3 times now, going for a fourth tonight, and when I get back to Burbank (currently visiting the rents) I already have another group of friends wanting to see it. I wonder if I should just go for seven viewings and say each one was for one of Ramona's exes. :p

As with any movie I see multiple times, it's nice to just sit back now and pick out little things I missed the first time. Somehow, I COMPLETELY missed the OBVIOUS set up for
Nega Scott
super early in the movie, but on my second and third viewings I was like, "Oh holy shit, niiiice." :lol

RubxQub

Inferno313 said:
Seeing it again tomorrow, hoping for a theater with better sound this time. The music was lost on me mostly. :(. Still loved it though, hoping to love it just as much. :)
As a bassist, I love the tone they got for the movie. I've wanted that Rickenbacher bass ever since I've started playing, too.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
8zgu81.jpg

WordAssassin said:
Somehow, I COMPLETELY missed the OBVIOUS set up for
Nega Scott
super early in the movie, but on my second and third viewings I was like, "Oh holy shit, niiiice." :lol
What scene are you referring to?

I finaly found the comics in France.

Bought the first two issue (third is coming in september) and I still can't believe how good the first book is. Probably the best thing I've read in years. So enjoyable, so lightweighted, so unpredicatble, so... cool and yet so deep in the story telling.

Surprinzing enough, the second book was less a blast. Super hype for the third book and the movie.

Saw it last night. Wouldn't mind seeing it again if I can find people to go.

Definitely Day 1 Blu Ray. And also,
_dementia said:

not just this part, there are plenty of scenes that one day will make great gifs, of pretty much everything.

So Simon Pegg seems to have enjoyed it, not that that comes as a surprise - http://twitter.com/simonpegg

Pegg said:
Scott Pilgrim is the best f**king film I have seen in a long f**king time & not cos @edgarwright is my friend its cos he's a f**king genius!
Pegg said:
Love you guys that said 'how do you do that with your mouth?!' bonus points for picking up the ref. I'm still buzzing from this film!!!
Pegg said:
To sum up then, I am so in lesbians with Scott Pilgrim vs The World.
Pegg said:
Last Pilgrim tweet of the day before I go to bed. It is the closest thing you will ever see to a third series of Spaced. Nun-night.

The last one makes me happy, yet also very sad

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Charred Greyface said:
I'm still sighing at the Knives/Ramona thing. Maybe hats why they changed Scotts age to 22 so i wouldnt look to bad hehe. One reviewer even suggested that Scott ended up with the wrong girl.
I don't blame them. The film totally set up Scott ending up with Knives,
then totally back-pedaled at the last minute. Very awkward and screams of reshoots. I saw it with a friend who hasn't read the comics, and she felt that it was leading up to a Knives ending and pulled a 180, so I don't think this is just my knowledge of the way the comics and script played out clouding my objectivity here.
Charred Greyface said:
I guess at the end of book 5, with Ramona disappearing, Kim leaving and Envy not even in the picture, I might seem plausible that Scott ended up with Knives....
No way! The comic was always about moving forward with your life, and by book three a Knives ending seems completely impossible. That would be the biggest regression imaginable.
Charred Greyface said:
Why didn't Edgar wright just wait for the series to be finished first before writing the screenplay?[ What was the rush? Or did they initially plan to make a sequel then decided to squeeze everything into one movie later on?
The problem wasn't that Edgar Wright didn't know how things would pan out. He actually spoke with Bryan Lee O'Malley early on, and the divergences from the comic story are largely a result of the latter half of the movie being based on BLOM's draft outline for the last three volumes.
For example, the Twins were once going to be another band in the comics, as they are in the movie. Based on their logo and that all the bands are named after games, I'm guessing they were going to be called Double Dragon.

butter_stick said:
Before I even read the comics, I was going to go see the movie because Mary Elizabeth Winstead = omg
She's gorgeous, but somehow in this film much less so than she usually is.

Saw this movie last night, knowing not really anything about it.

For the most part I really enjoyed it, except Ramona was completely boring and gave you no reason to care whether Scott Pilgrim actually got her or not. Knives, despite being a little "over-enthusiastic" was a much more appealing woman. Again, aside from that minor complaint I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Even Michael Cera didn't even bother me that much.

To me it didn't just feel a lot like a videogame, it felt a lot like a No More Heroes movie. The seven ex's were a lot like the ranked battles in NMH. Everything from their intros and ridiculous backgrounds to the random-ass ways they could be defeated. The final battle especially with was like live action NMH, with
beam katanas
and everything. Add to it the way the enemies explode and it just like a ranking battle in NMH.

I'm very interested in checking out the books now, the style and visuals of the film were so cohesive and engaging I'd imagine a lot of it came from the book.

slipknot2009

Neo Member
Pilgrim looks like any other Michael Cera film. Probably will still see it on dvd. The next movie that I see in theaters is Piranha 3D. I am excited to see Kelly Brook being sexy and I have never seen a 3D horror film so I am down!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
catchabad0ne said:
Saw this movie last night, knowing not really anything about it.

For the most part I really enjoyed it, except Ramona was completely boring and gave you no reason to care whether Scott Pilgrim actually got her or not. Knives, despite being a little "over-enthusiastic" was a much more appealing woman. Again, aside from that minor complaint I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. Even Michael Cera didn't even bother me that much.

To me it didn't just feel a lot like a videogame, it felt a lot like a No More Heroes movie. The seven ex's were a lot like the ranked battles in NMH. Everything from their intros and ridiculous backgrounds to the random-ass ways they could be defeated. The final battle especially with was like live action NMH, with
beam katanas
and everything. Add to it the way the enemies explode and it just like a ranking battle in NMH.

I'm very interested in checking out the books now, the style and visuals of the film were so cohesive and engaging I'd imagine a lot of it came from the book.
That is exactly how I sold it to a co-worker/friend who was kind of uncertain about going to see it.

RobotNinjaHornets said:
http://www.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-movie-image-michael-cera.jpg[img]

...[I]how?[/I][/QUOTE]

bu-bu-bu-but! he clearly plays himself! and he can't play anything else, so it MUST BE Michael Cera as Michael Cera in [I]Michael Cera vs the World[/I]!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
brotkasten said:
bu-bu-bu-but! he clearly plays himself! and he can't play anything else, so it MUST BE Michael Cera as Michael Cera in Michael Cera vs the World!

I can prove to you that hes playing himself. Observe.

Michael Cera

michael-cera-scott-pilgrim-still.jpg

Scott Pilgrim

michael-cera-scott-pilgrim-still.jpg

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!

Raging Spaniard said:
I can prove to you that hes playing himself. Observe.

Michael Cera

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2010/07/michael-cera-scott-pilgrim-still.jpg[img]

Scott Pilgrim

[img]http://cdn.sheknows.com/articles/2010/07/michael-cera-scott-pilgrim-still.jpg[img]

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT![/QUOTE]

Holy shit, you're right ... It really [I]is[/I] Michael Cera. I totally missed that. Now I'm really glad that this fucking hipster movie bombed so hard.

pakkit

Banned
Edgar Wright needs to apologize.

I thought Scott Pilgrim was really good in this movie but I now I learned that it's actually Michael Cera? How could you lie to the fans like that?!

Dude, this movie is TOTALLY a No More Heroes movie!!! I love it!

Is it just me or does Ramona look just like one of the girls from JSRF (Jet Set radio Freedom)?

Blackhead

Redarse
Krev said:
I don't blame them. The film totally set up Scott ending up with Knives,
then totally back-pedaled at the last minute. Very awkward and screams of reshoots. I saw it with a friend who hasn't read the comics, and she felt that it was leading up to a Knives ending and pulled a 180, so I don't think this is just my knowledge of the way the comics and script played out clouding my objectivity here.

No way! The comic was always about moving forward with your life, and by book three a Knives ending seems completely impossible. That would be the biggest regression imaginable.

The problem wasn't that Edgar Wright didn't know how things would pan out. He actually spoke with Bryan Lee O'Malley early on, and the divergences from the comic story are largely a result of the latter half of the movie being based on BLOM's draft outline for the last three volumes.
For example, the Twins were once going to be another band in the comics, as they are in the movie. Based on their logo and that all the bands are named after games, I'm guessing they were going to be called Double Dragon.

She's gorgeous, but somehow in this film much less so than she usually is.

Spoilers

I finally saw the movie a second time. This time I noticed the little stuff (I think like the Gideon cat on Scott's mug and Young Neil picking up Gideon's gum (eewww).

The fights in the movie are better IMO. Some good fights were cut out of course (or relegated to the animation extras on the forthcoming DVD) but the main ones were fleshed out in interesting ways.

I disagree that the comics are primarily about moving on. Well, not just moving forward anyway. 'Moving on' (or 'running away' as some would put it) is what Rammy always did and the reason for the evil exs.

Anyway, I'm firmly on Team Knives for the movie. All the stuff Scott and Ramona went through together, living together and all that, by which they developed a bond, just wasn't in the film. Knives and Scott, not Ramona and Scott, kicked Gideon's ass so yeah end up together. The reshoot was sloppy. Scott just finished fighting Gideon were he announced that he was fighting for himself then Knives suggests he should go with Ramona because he was "fighting for her all along"?! Bah

The biggest element missing from the movie was Ramona's head thinge. I only caught that once—and it was on comic Scott for that matter, when the narrator was telling us about what happened with him and Envy. That should have been in there somehow.

Well its too late to change the movie (although I can't wait to see the alternate ending). I like it as it's own thing; the music and sound effects are awesome and the fights are better than the comics. :)

Ps agree that Ramona wasn't that hot. She looked much more adorable in that picture someone posted of her on a red carpet...

I hope this film encourages someone to adapt No More Heroes. Maybe we should all mail Edgar Wright the games... or tweet the suggestion to him...

p.s. Sure Cera has been typecast for a while but didn't anybody see Youh in Revolt (to the end)?! Francoise is the exact opposite of all the 'Cera characters' the haters have been complaining about.

XiaNaphryz said:
:lol

Zabka

The ending did feel a little like
Poochy's exit from Itchy & Scratchy to me. It just didn't jive with the rest of the movie. It didn't bother me too much, because Nega-Scott was fucking hilarious.

My problem with Michael Cera isn't that he plays the same character. I just find him charmless and dull. He's also the source of 90% of hipster complaints directed at the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom