• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Dir. Wright, Cera, Kendrick, Evans, Schwartzman)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest Eds is really like that though. As soon as you enter you wonder if you will ever get out again. IIRC the entrance had those revolving spots where once you go through you couldn't go back out so you were stuck navigating this gigantic maze designed by some mad man. It's like being in some amusement park fun house with creepy posters and giant signs all over the place.

Lijik

I've seen this movie three times and while I wouldn't say the seats were packed, each viewing had a respectable sized audience.
I guess Scott Pilgrim plays in Atlanta.

The collective audience groan at the Devil trailer when M Night's name pops up never gets old.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just saw it again, theater was sorta full but not packed by any means. This sort of film probably will play well to NorCal audiences in general.

big ander said:
Hated that fight. It was a ham-fisted criticism of consumerism. It was so weird.

Have you been to Honest Ed's? It's not a criticism of consumerism at all. That's exactly what it's like - a complete and total nightmare. It's the Negastore!

big ander

I have never been to Honest Ed's and therefore completely misinterpreted that entire scene in the comics. I didn't even know it was a real store :lol :lol :lol
Thanks for clearing it up everybody.

XiaNaphryz

big ander said:
I have never been to Honest Ed's and therefore completely misinterpreted that entire scene in the comics. I didn't even know it was a real store :lol :lol :lol
Thanks for clearing it up everybody.
You can see the sign for one in the movie. It's in the background after the third ex fight where the band's in the pizza place before heading to the afterparty/4th ex fight.

Rikyfree

Saw this tonight. Easily the best movie this year for me (still need to see Inception). But even if that movie is better than it, it'll still be a lock for 2nd place by a country mile.

fernoca

Saw it again today, for the third time. :D
With 3 other friends than the first time; kinda same "types" too as the first time. (3 males including myself, 1 female being the wife of one of them. All gamers, with some comic book knowledge, but no knowledge of Scott Pilgrim, except the trailers and the PSN game). They also loved it.

But yeah, so dissapointed at this movie's performance at the boxoffice. :(
  • First time (Sunday, release weekend) was like 20 people tops (no line, but Expeandables and Step Up 3D had long-ass lines).
  • Second time (Thursday, 7th day of release) was..only me at the theater (though nice, was like paying to see an exclusive showing of the movie to just me :p ).
  • Third time (yesterday) was only my friends (3), me (1) and 2 other people (6 total).

Oh well.

rush777 said:
The scene where Envy Performs is fucking great that song is awesome. And she is smoking hot.

I bought the soundtrack CD right after seeing the movie because of that. Such a sexy performance. I'm not really a big indie-rock guy, but I think I'm gonna have to check out more Metric now.

rush777

ThirstyFly said:
I bought the soundtrack CD right after seeing the movie because of that. Such a sexy performance. I'm not really a big indie-rock guy, but I think I'm gonna have to check out more Metric now.

Yeah just found out it was Metric who I am already a fan of so thats awesome , but that performance was mesmerizing.

I actual prefer the Clash at the Demonhead's version of Black Sheep more then the Metric version. But yeah the movie made me look them up. Though, I was already a little familiar with them.

Hylian7

I actually have seen this three times and loved it (the first time I went with fellow Gaffer Sir Ilpalazzo). It didn't seem to come off as "too hipster" to me, and actually redeemed Michael Cera a bit for me. I didn't outright hate him, but I was just indifferent toward him before.

I honestly expected a lot of lame duck easy way out video game references (like, "Hey, Sex Bob-Omb, that's an enemy in Mario, hurpy derpy durr"). There were actually some good ones, and they weren't overused. I for one expected them to screw up Young Neil playing A Link to the Past on his DS Lite, thinking they would show nothing in the GBA slot and a card in the DS card slot, but they actually got that right as well. The fight scenes and evil exes were also awesome.

The Vegan police part was pure gold.

G-Fex said:
I'm guessing there's a lot of Scott Pilgrim fans in Canada?
The film is of course going to get more attention in Toronto. Pretty much last week, it was on at least all the TV news for at least a segment, only because the source material bleeds Toronto (even though it should be subtle enough that it won't alienate people not familiar with Toronto).

Pretty much every shot the theater I was in (Tuesday), I can overhear someone (or myself) trying to pick off the locations where they were shooting the scenes at. Here's an example:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=honest+ed+google+map&hl=en&cd=1&ei=xxlxTP3JEIbmvQPp38j_BQ&sig2=A4jNNuc2dABa8faHmkqD4g&sll=43.664859,-79.412349&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ie=UTF8&view=map&cid=7751532588772776437&ved=0CIUBEKUG&hq=honest+ed+google+map&hnear=&ll=43.665342,-79.411283&spn=0.011176,0.017617&z=16&layer=c&cbll=43.665429,-79.411325&panoid=_eGMhoIc8BuZj_7TCHCATQ&cbp=12,198.76,,0,14.43

This was one of the shots earlier when Knives and Scott was walking down the street. Right away I recognized the corner, even without seeing the Honest Ed sign. :lol

sn00zer said:
It is a videogame movie:

Ramona is Princess Peach (NES)...No real reason to be with her, but deep down there is the willingness to go to hell and back to be with her

Exes are literally boss battles, they are not metaphorical fights, they are what you see on screen, points and everything

Everyone can fight regardless of profession... this is not seen as unusual in videogames

Reloading from a Checkpoint...holy shit

I like thinking of the movie as not being metaphorical in any way. The characters are living in this world, the smacks the blams are are physically there. People are really bursting into coins. Just so awesome considering how well it all works

It being metaphorical doesn't mean it's not real in the context of the movie. There's just an extra level of meaning to it, that's all.

Archurro

hamchan said:
Whoa.

I had no idea Honest Ed's was a real place.

Even more awesome it says at the front: "Come in and get lost".

I had no idea that Pizza Pizza is an actual place too. What kind of name is Pizza Pizza?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
hamchan said:
Which is a mistake. It's gonna get downloaded to high hell before it ever reaches those countries.

I'm hearing voices, animal noises.
lol, seriously. It was scheduled for October here and was delayed to November. Basically everyone interested will have already watched it one way or another by then.

clav

Scullibundo said:
No
Zelda bathroom
music?

Saw the movie last night. I felt overall it was a cheesy romantic comedy movie attuned to the video game No More Heroes sprinkled with some video game references. The visual style use of cell-shading with the blend of real-life elements were interesting at best although
each fight started to become kinda old after the 2nd/3rd one.
I also thought
the movie could have had a ton more video game references as there were some parts dragged in between fights.

It was well worth $11.50.

It was sad to see how the theater was not filled up. I would say about 50% of the rows were filled.

Looking forward to the video game on XBLA this coming week.

hamchan said:
Whoa.

I had no idea Honest Ed's was a real place.

Even more awesome it says at the front: "Come in and get lost".

Pretty much everywhere in the book is or was a real place.

Except No-Account Video which is technically Suspect Video and around the corner from Honest Eds.

soultron

Banned
That's the thing that will resonate more with Canadians/Torontonians moreso than anyone else. I actually felt like the book and movie were written for us. We never get this kind of attention in any format, so it was nice to finally be "drawn into" a comic book.

rush777

Rahxephon91 said:
I actual prefer the Clash at the Demonhead's version of Black Sheep more then the Metric version. But yeah the movie made me look them up. Though, I was already a little familiar with them.

Have to agree, I really like Brie Larsons voice.

Saw it again. Perfect balance of perfect digital projection (not a trace of overscan) and straight BOOMING sound.

So amazing.

Also FINALLY saw Bryan Lee O'Malley and Hope Larson's cameo.
After Sex Bob-Omb opens for TCaD, before TCaD goes on there's a wide shot of the band sitting at the bar. Mal and Hope are on the left side of the screen.

Rahxephon91 said:

Same. The Metric version is great, but I'm obsessed with the Clash at Demonhead version. Shame they didn't include both on the CD. Has the Clash version been released anywhere other than that music video?

XiaNaphryz

ThirstyFly said:
Same. The Metric version is great, but I'm obsessed with the Clash at Demonhead version. Shame they didn't include both on the CD. Has the Clash version been released anywhere other than that music video?
Isn't there supposed to be a deluxe version of the soundtrack that will be released in a few weeks that will have the music video on it?

TransTrender

Gold Member
Mr Jared said:
The girlfriend and I just got back from watching Scott Pilgrim for a second time. Rumors of its box office demise this weekend have been greatly exag-

Oh. Nevermind.

There were actually two others in the theater with us, but it turns out they were hopping screens and left to go watch Vampires Suck. But hey, Scott Pilgrim was even better the second time!
Strange.
Saw the movie for a second time in Irvine Friday night and both times (first time was opening weekend) the theater was COMPLETELY PACKED without a single open seat.

XiaNaphryz

Killdozer said:
Strange.
Saw the movie for a second time in Irvine Friday night and both times (first time was opening weekend) the theater was COMPLETELY PACKED without a single open seat.
Shouldn't be surprising actually, the movie seems to be doing well in several parts of California. A movie reviewer in the Bay Area a couple weeks back stated this is sort of movie that will likely do relatively well in California but probably not in a lot of the other parts of the country.

Killdozer said:
Strange.

I saw it this afternoon. The theater was about half, three quarters full, NYC, but it was in one of the smaller theaters and down to one screen. The dream is dead.

But the good thing is, seeing it again reinforces what a phenomenal film it really is. And after all, isn't that what matters most?

corn_fest

This seemed like the best place to ask: has anyone ordered the Scott Pilgrim poster from Oni Press' store? I can't find the size on there and I was wondering how big it was.

how the hell is Scott Pilgrim been a trending topic on Twitter for 2 straight weeks, yet absolutely tanking at the box office?

Now its proven that Twitter marketing means shit.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Expendable. said:
how the hell is Scott Pilgrim been a trending topic on Twitter for 2 straight weeks, yet absolutely tanking at the box office?

I bet most of the tweets are just people crying.

And Twitter always meant shit

TransTrender

Gold Member
XiaNaphryz said:
Shouldn't be surprising actually, the movie seems to be doing well in several parts of California. A movie reviewer in the Bay Area a couple weeks back stated this is sort of movie that will likely do relatively well in California but probably not in a lot of the other parts of the country.
Makes sense demographically.

Expendable. said:

Are you serious? How did I see lines around the block for SP screenings, hundreds of people show up for vol. 6 and yet, ZOMG, tankular.

Maybe because people who see movies in NYC or post on Twitter aren't representative of the mainstream viewing audience?

Another trending topic on Twitter right now?

Sally Draper.

Looks like we can expect Mad Men to get higher ratings than Two And A Half Men! I never see that as a trending topic!

;D

TransTrender

Gold Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
I saw it this afternoon. The theater was about half, three quarters full, NYC, but it was in one of the smaller theaters and down to one screen. The dream is dead.

But the good thing is, seeing it again reinforces what a phenomenal film it really is. And after all, isn't that what matters most?
Yup.
Also did my part by telling my friends to go see it but with limited success.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Are you serious? How did I see lines around the block for SP screenings, hundreds of people show up for vol. 6 and yet, ZOMG, tankular.

Maybe because people who see movies in NYC or post on Twitter aren't representative of the mainstream viewing audience?

Another trending topic on Twitter right now?

Sally Draper.

Looks like we can expect Mad Men to get higher ratings than Two And A Half Men! I never see that as a trending topic!

;D

Sally Draper is trending because Mad Men is currently on.

Scott Pilgrim has either been #1 or #2 trending topic worldwide for TWO SOLID WEEKS 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom