• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I've already found a version of the soundtrack..umm...online...not hard to find, really.

And HEY! I'd buy it if it were available :'(

farnham said:
how similar is this to rivercity ransom ? the quicklook of this game made me interested since it looked so similar.

It is very similar.

Items don't unlock new moves though and bought snacks cannot be used via the menu. You can even use the same dirty techniques from River City Ransom.

Volcynika said:
Uh, wrong thread?

my bad, I thought I was in the PSN weekly store update thread

but now that I'm in this thread, I did buy this game, this game seems hard as hell, how much easier is "easy" mode? and will it effect leveling up?

Baha

Ken Masters said:
my bad, I thought I was in the PSN weekly store update thread

but now that I'm in this thread, I did buy this game, this game seems hard as hell, how much easier is "easy" mode? and will it effect leveling up?

It's hard at the beginning even on easy, but once you start leveling up and buying stat boosting items it gets a lot easier. Just expect to have a hard time at the beginning until you get stronger.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Man, I suck!
I picked Kim, and on my first try I got to the boss of the first level and then I ran out of lives... I had 0 remaining going into the fight. :lol

Are the drinks/food supposed to raise stats? I noticed eating some stuff I'd get like +50 HP, some XP and some +str, but my stats on the screen didn't seem to be effected?

BooJoh

When you first start, it's hard no matter who you pick. The best way to make it easier is to level up and to buy stat-boosting items, mainly strength and defense.

I think point-for-point the bookstore has the best deals, but I'm not sure. It seems better than the secret shop anyway. (~$20-25 for +10 to a stat vs. over $100 for +30)

I let my brother try the game, and he was having a hard time and thought the game was just okay. Then I let him replay level 1 as Scott with nearly-maxed stats and he had a blast with it.

Vorg

Banned
If I understood correctly, it's impossible for a second player to join in on your ongoing game? Does that even make sense in a game like this?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked this up... played through the first 2 levels a couple of times with Scott and Kim. I think Scott has an easier moveset to grasp so far, but I love Kim's animations so much that I'm probably going to push through the rest of the game as her, heh.

Though I have to agree that lack of configurable controls really bugs - I tried playing with both the DS3 and a custom joystick, and stick really improved the experience for me. Luckily the button mappings worked out okay on my layout, but I'd love to be able to change it to something more comfortable.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
acidspunk said:
If I understood correctly, it's impossible for a second player to join in on your ongoing game? Does that even make sense in a game like this?

In a sense, yes, because it's not really an arcade game but a River City Ransom RPG beat'em up. The logic seems to be form a questing party, since individual players do have profiles, save games, persistent levels, etc.

daegan

Kuro Madoushi said:
I've already found a version of the soundtrack..umm...online...not hard to find, really.

And HEY! I'd buy it if it were available :'(

It's already up on the abkco records site. I believe I saw it dated for Aug 23 - no more excuses! :D

Pancho

Qurupancho
Does anyone has a GIF of Scott Pilgrim doing the victory cheer when you beat a stage?

Edit::lol :lol I really like Stephen's face icon, he looks so bored -_-

Zabka

Pancho said:
Does anyone has a GIF of Scott Pilgrim doing the victory cheer when you beat a stage?
http://probertson.livejournal.com/33796.html

My favorite:
i7XeQ.gif

So, I was beta testing this game tonight.

Yeah, beta testing. This game is unfinished. The sound cut out during a fight in the level with the Twins, and the game froze at the end before we could beat the game.

I am disappointed.

Oh well.

Pancho

Qurupancho
FlightOfHeaven said:

Yeah, beta testing. This game is unfinished. The sound cut out during a fight in the level with the Twins, and the game froze at the end before we could beat the game.

I am disappointed.

Oh well.
It might sound crazy but, Did you have anything downloading in the background?? I had the same problem, but they soon stopped after I finished downloading some other stuff. It might be all a coincidence, but I've been playing the crap out of this game lately and I haven't suffered any glitches again.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
FlightOfHeaven said:

I am disappointed.

Oh well.

I've sunk in many hours to this game: Not one glitch.

This is clearly an issue of it not working on certain PS3s... I understand your frustration: your experience was bad... Can't blame you for your poor impressions. But this is not a "unfinished" release so much as it seems to have unexpected errors in certain PS3 environments. Based on my experience on my PS3, I can see why they thought it was fine.

In patch we trust.

Pancho

Qurupancho
<-----Changed my avatar, I hope it's the right dimensions lol
Edit: A bit off topic but, since I'm talking about avatars, what's a good image hosting site? I'm using photobucket but I'm not sure that's the best option. I mean, can you guys see my avatar?

FlightOfHeaven said:
It was particularly terrible because we had been playing for four hours straight and were striving to beat the game.

4 players disappointed.
That's rough man. I've played through the game every which way at this point, even with 4 players, and I haven't encountered a single problem. Hope I'm not jinxing myself...

Ok so after playing this in co-op I've changed my mind about the game and went and bought it. It's a lot better and more fun. In fact as a single player game I can't really recommend it.

Is there a place that tells you what the items in the shops do? As at the moment the only way to tell is by buying them. I bought a stack if CDs yesterday to boost my stats which helped with some levels where it was getting uncomfortably tougher.

BocoDragon

Katana_Strikes said:
Ok so after playing this in co-op I've changed my mind about the game and went and bought it. It's a lot better and more fun. In fact as a single player game I can't really recommend it.
I've enjoyed it by myself.

The early bits were a slog, but once I started gaining some abilities, it was endlessly fun to attack enemies with different combos.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I wasn't at all familiar with the Scott Pilgrim universe, and I can't say I have any desire to follow up on it after this either, but just being a beat 'em up fanatic I had to play it and I feel they pulled (mostly) everything off quite well. I did have some serious mixed feelings about the game though, especially my initial couple hours with it where I thought the game had more fanservice than quality points, but I've grown to appreciate it quite a bit. Unlocking moves and gaining stats really turns this game around.

That being said, I think this game really could've benefited from an extra month or two of development. Difficulty goes from feeling cheap to feeling too easy, even on hard. I think the controls could've been tightened up a bit as well, and the time it takes to get up if you're knocked down should have been shortened. I also have no idea what's up the odd lag at times on the world map, or even when purchasing items. Just really minor details that could've - should've - easily been addressed but weren't.

I imagine this had to be kicked out the door in time for the movie or whatever though. Oh well. Still a lot of fun with friends. Played it earlier with a few other people and I felt like I was a kid again, back in the arcade. Can't hate on that.

BocoDragon

^ nice analysis

One thing about the "Scott Pilgrim universe" that many newbies, who played this game, are referring to: keep in mind that this game itself is completely a crazy videogame version of the story... It's basically its own crazy universe.

Much of it should be recognized as the embellishment on the original scenario by Paul Robertson's style of art, where Metal Slug-inspired game scenarios transform SP into a much more bizzare game environment. That's where you see things like the
vegan-"Tetsuo" transformation
or
a zombie attack.
They wouldn't be appropriate for the "universe" of the book or movie (which is just Toronto.... maybe a fever-dream Toronto).. but in a game, they are more than perfect.

Flek

Banned
mugwhump said:
Does Scott's assist with Knives (where she shouts LOVE) even do anything? I can't seem to tell...

i want to know this too ?

Edit: also you can buy coffe to go etc. But where is it stored ?

Are the stats capped at 99? Is it worth grinding for the late fees?

And yeah, what is with the lag when trying to bring up the status screen and things? Takes like five seconds for it to show. Also you have to sit and stare at a black screen for 15 seconds before you get any indication that the game's loading. Thought my PS3 had frozen the first time I booted the game up.

This game is awesome.
But i wonder who the second secret character is.

I hope a DLC pack will come. With 4 new characters and new stages :D i want to play as wallace wells ^^

Flek said:
i want to know this too ?

Edit: also you can buy coffe to go etc. But where is it stored ?

When you summon Knives, I think her "love" stuns enemies for a second.

Items bought to go are stored in the pause menu, I think. I also think if your health hits zero, the item is automatically used because I've bought snacks that disappeared when I paused the game.

Gooster said:

Items bought to go are stored in the pause menu, I think. I also think if your health hits zero, the item is automatically used because I've bought snacks that disappeared when I paused the game.

You can't use items that are bought as snacks. But you will be able to see your snack from the pause menu.

Pancho said:
It might sound crazy but, Did you have anything downloading in the background?? I had the same problem, but they soon stopped after I finished downloading some other stuff. It might be all a coincidence, but I've been playing the crap out of this game lately and I haven't suffered any glitches again.
No I weren't downloading anything.
Flight also failed to mention other things like having to wait for ghosts to disappear when there is no possibility of being revived.

Gooster said:

Correct. It does a little damage as well, but not enough to make a noticeable difference.

Gooster said:

I wish this was clearer. I figured out that snacks are set to "auto", but I haven't seen any way to track upgrades easily.

Just got to level 6. Level 5 was a bit annoying. The jumps and platforms are hard to get onto and the
big robo boss
was also hard for me yet the final boss' were easy.

Top Bottom