• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

BeeDog

What's the best way to increase the Speed as cheap as possible?

I also have another question; right now I'm playing as Scott on the lowest difficulty setting. Will the status upgrades here carry over to the more difficult settings, or will I have to restart from scratch?

Synless

BeeDog said:
What's the best way to increase the Speed as cheap as possible?

I also have another question; right now I'm playing as Scott on the lowest difficulty setting. Will the status upgrades here carry over to the more difficult settings, or will I have to restart from scratch?
Buy the "Get Rich Quick!" Book at the bookstore. I believe stats are universal. My Romona was level 11 on easy and she was still lvl. 11 when I used her on hard.

Burli

Pringo
Well now I see what I was doing wrong and why I was having so much trouble with the game, I had about 350-400 Dollars I wasn't spending, spent them all - now the game feels ridiculously easy.

So yeah, buying items is paramount for levelling up your character. A level 16 character is nothing without upgrades.

Derp!

Burli said:
Well now I see what I was doing wrong and why I was having so much trouble with the game, I had about 350-400 Dollars I wasn't spending, spent them all - now the game feels ridiculously easy.

So yeah, buying items is paramount for levelling up your character. A level 16 character is nothing without upgrades.

Derp!

Pay the late fee and get +1up for 5 $ or DEF +10 SPD +10 WP +10 STR +10 for 5$

Easiest way to get max stats.

Volcynika said:
If I pay off the late fees in one difficulty, does that take effect in all other difficulties?
Yes, but only for that character. Like Baha mentioned earlier in the thread, you can still lend money to a character you want to level up so you can pay off their debt. By the way, thank you for that, Baha!

Chao

mileS said:
I have black bars around my screen for some reason. How did you get fullscreen?
Like these?
1zge0jo.jpg

Finished it. Was stuggling a bit last night on the last level, but once I got everything maxxed out it's really easy. Will probably try the hardest diff now. Had a lot of fun with it. Definitely downloadable GotY so far, though that isn't hard. But a really good game, one which I never nearly got if it wasn't for the co-op. I'll give it a 7.

BeeDog

Synless said:
Buy the "Get Rich Quick!" Book at the bookstore. I believe stats are universal. My Romona was level 11 on easy and she was still lvl. 11 when I used her on hard.

Thanks, managed to max out Scott.

Anyway, does someone have a full list of the shops? I'm trying to get the "Gourmet" trophy, and I'm pretty sure I've eaten every food item in the shops that I've found, yet I still don't have that trophy.

Locked up after I had finished (what I think is) the final boss. That was pretty great.

I'm not that annoyed though, playing on easy. Just hope I won't have to replay the entire level. I'd be a bit more annoyed then.

A slight annoyance. The transit level is clearly a bus from the inside yet it's making the subway sound and then when you get on the roof it's actually a streetcar.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Zaro said:
Just beat it, gotta say though, if you take away this games presentation and it's not really that good.

-Stat grinding in a beat em up
-R1 attack can't be used out of stun
-Lack of invincibility frames leads to cheap stuff
-Excessive blocking
-Shop descriptions AFTER YOU BOUGHT THE ITEM.
-Moving diagonal sucks, end up using stick due to dash

You can overlook some of it in co-op (like the pitfall sections cause its funny) but for the most part the game is pretty painful. Difficulty curve was also pretty bad early on, then you out-grind it and button mash through the rest of the game, should have just tuned the difficulty levels right and screwed the whole stat system and only have consumable items if anything.

But hey the game looks and sounds great :p

Sounds like an easier version of River City Ransom's advanced difficulty. In THAT mode, the enemies also hit you for obscene amounts of damage. Not to mention there were no "easy buttons" like reviving teammates in mid battle, granting magical swords with codes, co-op attacks, ground hitting slides, area-clearing special attacks, or actual juggling.

This sounds refreshingly enjoyable, then. I welcome the confidence-crushing difficulty, in a game laden with 8 and 16-bit era codes, nostalgia throwbacks a-plenty, and a focus on playing games with your "local" friends.

I look forward to testing out the controls, when it finally comes out on 360. I'd prefer to never use analog for a game like this, but even the 360 Dpad seems fine for non-fighters. If not that, then joystick!

All the games weaknesses and awkward points sounds almost directly from RCR. So far, that makes me smile. Hope to keep + grow that smile, after gettin' to pley!

Doorman

This does share a whole lot of similarities with River City Ransom, though obviously it's nice not having to start the game progress-wise from scratch. I will agree that the difficulty curve is a little bit wonky, particularly when playing solo. With better stats and the much wider array of attacks and moves you get as you level up, taking on large crowds of enemies does become much more managable, but I think they throw just a bit too much at you too soon, particularly once you get to the third level.

I recently got the evasion roll and dive kick, and they're definitely making life in this game both easier and more fun. Like a few others have said, it's almost more action-RPG than it is beat-em-up, and you only start to really reap the rewards of combat once more time is invested into it. Now if only I hadn't decided to start playing as Scott instead of Stills...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Still going through Chapter 7 with a friend. I said earlier in the thread that the game is really not that good, and I stand by that, even after hitting lvl 16 and playing a majority of the game. Despite the tricks you learn (most of which should be available to the player via purchase or something early on), the game seems bent on pulling cheap crap constantly.

Wallace's secret shop is great for stat buffs, and helps to make encounters easier, but the game really never becomes TRULY FUN the way Turtles in Time was (and still is).

Yes, the game has a lot of similarities to River City Ransom, but that doesn't save it from being the embodiment of every mistake a developer has ever made while creating a brawler.

thetrin said:
Still going through Chapter 7 with a friend. I said earlier in the thread that the game is really not that good, and I stand by that, even after hitting lvl 16 and playing a majority of the game. Despite the tricks you learn (most of which should be available to the player via purchase or something early on), the game seems bent on pulling cheap crap constantly.

Wallace's secret shop is great for stat buffs, and helps to make encounters easier, but the game really never becomes TRULY FUN the way Turtles in Time was (and still is).

Yes, the game has a lot of similarities to River City Ransom, but that doesn't save it from being the embodiment of every mistake a developer has ever made while creating a brawler.

I hope you dont mean the Remake of Turtles in Time. The Remake is awful.

Yeah this game has some problems and bugs. But its a retro game.

I love this game. Its perfect in my opinion.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm still debating whether to get this or Monkey Island 2.

I love point-and-click adventure games but I also do love old-school styled games.

BeeDog

ULTROS! said:
I'm still debating whether to get this or Monkey Island 2.

I love point-and-click adventure games but I also do love old-school styled games.

Both are good, but get Monkey Island 2. :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark_inferno said:
I hope you dont mean the Remake of Turtles in Time. The Remake is awful.

How does this:

but the game really never becomes TRULY FUN the way Turtles in Time was (and still is).

possibly give you the impression I'm talking about a game that came out last year?

dark_inferno said:
Yeah this game has some problems and bugs. But its a retro game.

I love this game. Its perfect in my opinion.

I didn't realize being retro was a free pass to be buggy and broken.

SuperSonic1305 said:
A slight annoyance. The transit level is clearly a bus from the inside yet it's making the subway sound and then when you get on the roof it's actually a streetcar.

It's a TTC Streetcar. They look like buses from the inside.

KibblesBits said:
I'm happy I have never once had this game bug out on me.

I had it 3 times where it frooze. Twice on the top of the bus, one after the other, then I just started on hardest diff and it frooze part way through the first level... so I just gave up.

BTW when you start on hardest after you've finished on average Joe... do you have to replay the whole game from start to finish to get the trophy?

Remy

ezekial45 said:
How the hell do you get to that radio tower?

Go to the World Map, pause, go to Score Ranking.

L1, L1, R1, R1, L1, L1, L1, R1, R1, R1, L1, R1

Back out and it'll be open.

SappYoda

SappYoda said:
How does this game save?

We started the game, beat the first boss exited, and it didn't save :(

Can anyone help us with this?

I don't want to leave my PS3 on all the night.

Thanks.

SuperSonic1305 said:

Stop being so nitpicky. It's pretty close to a TTC vehicle, that is all I need.

Car%204131.jpg

Awesome combos can't be pulled off in this.

SappYoda said:
Can anyone help us with this?

I don't want to leave my PS3 on all the night.

Thanks.

Well I'm sure it saves after every level you complete (you did go back to the map screen?) and if you've done the level and quit to world map... the little piggy bank icon comes on to let you know its saved. So watch out for that icon maybe after the level?

DrAndonuts said:
Nice OT.

I've got this preordered (via Ubisoft.com). Hopefully it's as good as it looks.
Because copies could run out?

Anyway, I'm loving the game. Wish I had known it was coming for XBLA though.

There's a flaming dive kick if you hold forward when you press the Triangle. It's especially cool if you do it after a double jump from a high place. Also, once I got Ramona's Bag Item move, I couldn't find it on the move list. You know, the "Hold Triangle for 2 seconds then release" move.

shagg_187 said:
No, cause you get bonus items when you preorder it.
um, WHAT?!... oh damn! http://shop.ubi.com/promo/70713900

SappYoda said:
How does this game save?

We started the game, beat the first boss exited, and it didn't save :(

Yeah, a note on saving: Even if you're mid-level, if you exit to the map, it'll save everything. So if you want to quit the game, EXIT TO THE MAP FIRST... then exit the game.

ReiGun

Fuck Lucas Lee and fuck his little skater prick minions. I beat those douchebags, but I felt I had to get this off my chest.

Game is awesome, btw.

SappYoda

Katana_Strikes said:
Well I'm sure it saves after every level you complete (you did go back to the map screen?) and if you've done the level and quit to world map... the little piggy bank icon comes on to let you know its saved. So watch out for that icon maybe after the level?

Verboten said:
Yeah, a note on saving: Even if you're mid-level, if you exit to the map, it'll save everything. So if you want to quit the game, EXIT TO THE MAP FIRST... then exit the game.

Thanks, my problem was that I selected a different character.

anddo0

Kinda regretting my purchase of this game. It needs online co-op period.. Even on the easiest difficulty setting you need to grind. Which makes the game become extremely repetitive and not fun at all. It'll be a while before I finish this on my own.

Just keep replaying the early levels and pay off scott's late fee. Can't believe people are honestly having trouble with this game. It's hard at first, then too easy by at least midway. i want it to be more difficult. Guess i can always choose to NOT level up my character. Love that you can reset the stats.

Popstar said:
I got it working with my USB Sega Saturn Pad.

Start the game using the DualShock/SixAxis as controller 1. Then hit the PS button and go into Settings|Accessory Settings|Reassign Controllers. Reassign the DualShock as controller 2 (or whatever). Have your Saturn Pad plugged into the USB port and it should now be controller 1. You can check by backing out of the Accessory Settings and then switching to the Saturn Pad and going back in.

I still have zero luck with this and i have tried every method and yes the controller does work.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Verboten said:
Just keep replaying the early levels and pay off scott's late fee. Can't believe people are honestly having trouble with this game. It's hard at first, then too easy by at least midway. i want it to be more difficult. Guess i can always choose to NOT level up my character. Love that you can reset the stats.
Oh good. I want to replay this with a friend later.. but with some characters levelled up, it just isn't fair.

When do you unlock the last move? I beat the game was expecting for it to unlock after the ten minutes credit. The game froze a lot, got cheap in the last two levels, especially the last boss, and now there's a move that isn't unlocked even after beating the game. Bleh... This game is a solid B...that's all

eLGee

Infernodash said:
When do you unlock the last move? I beat the game was expecting for it to unlock after the ten minutes credit. The game froze a lot, got cheap in the last two levels, especially the last boss, and now there's a move that isn't unlocked even after beating the game. Bleh... This game is a solid B...that's all

You buy the last move in a secret store on the same level where you face off with Nega-Scott. The store is located in the opening behind Wallace.

eLGee said:
You buy the last move in a secret store on the same level where you face off with Nega-Scott. The store is located in the opening behind Wallace.

Thanks for that info. I'll check it out now.

Agate

Neo Member
Just beat the game, interesting end lol!..I'll just leave it at that. Overall the game holds a certain charm and through and through..it was definitely worth the price..I'm glad I got to play something like this!..

Also..I see some of you have some awesome Gifs already...does anyone have a awesome gif icon of Stills? he's my fav character :D

Top Bottom