• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

SappYoda

The style of animation makes me think of an old flash movie that had pretty much the same art style and it resembled a beat em up game.

It had zombies,had loads of gore, and I remember wanting it to be and actual game.

Does anyone remember this?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Yeah, the movie (Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006) and the SP character art/animation are by the same pixel genius, Paul Robertson.

Roto13

Does Mr. Chau appear ONLY after beating level 4 specifically, or can I beat level 4 and then go beat other levels? I've played through every stage like five times and he still hasn't appeared. >_>

Also, will he appear if I start in the middle of a level and finish it from there?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
SappYoda said:
The style of animation makes me think of an old flash movie that had pretty much the same art style and it resembled a beat em up game.

It had zombies,had loads of gore, and I remember wanting it to be and actual game.

Does anyone remember this?

Yeah, it resembles that Sprite base Zombie beat them up video (never seen the flash), because the Sprites are done by the same guy, Paul Robertson.

That is why the graphics/artstyle looks a lot like that video you are talking about.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
D2M15 said:
Yeah, the movie (Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006) and the SP character art/animation are by the same pixel genius, Paul Robertson.

Umm, I wouldn't call him a "pixel genius"... :lol

allegate said:
The game breaks so quickly when you log in the second player as a guest and "lend" two-thousand dollars to player one and you're only on the first level. :lol
Avoidable glitches aren't gamebreakers; unavoidable ones are.

Suairyu

Banned
allegate said:
The game breaks so quickly when you log in the second player as a guest and "lend" two-thousand dollars to player one and you're only on the first level. :lol
Just started my second play-through and I'm really glad this exploit exists. It wasn't so bad when I was just starting out and learning the ropes, but after one playthrough the early-game is not a fun experience for me. The story would probably change in multiplayer, but for now I'll be taking each character to Pattel then paying off Scott's late fees immediately via the exploit.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
BocoDragon said:

Well... Hmm, this would be a hard argument to make unless you know pixel art terminology. But, he's a great animator. Pixel art genius...? Meh.

Finally doing a second run, as Kim this time. Jesus. Is it at all possible to win the SF2 bonus stage-like events in certain stages (e.g. the car and the nuclear bomb in Stage 2)? Obviously it's no hassle at 16, but at 5 I suck.

It's also kind of cute seeing her and Knives kiss. Heh.

SaitoH

Just have to beat the game with Ramona then I've finished it with all four main characters. From single player to four player it's so much fun. This is how to do a "retro style" game.

Jaroof

Jaroof said:
There's some blue-haired anime dude(yup, that's my best description) found in some of the levels. Which character is he? He doesn't seem familiar. He's not in the backgrounds or anything.. He's like Neil, and other characters that react when you hit at them.
I think he first shows up in level 5.

So no one knows who this is??
Hmmm..

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Jaroof said:
Hmmm..

I'm reading the comics again, so I will see if I find something about him.

I recall a character that look like him in the comics, but IIRC Scott was talking about a Video Game or something like that, he was fantasizing, I could be wrong, but I need to check again.

Adam J.

About the final levels...

Is is possible to block/avoid getting punched by giant Sephiroth Gideon? I finally beat him, after he raped my ass and only left me with 17 HPs to beat the robot level after that. I also think it sucks how there is no checkpoint after you beat him. I've been grinding for 2 days to stand a chance only to discover that there is another level after him. Getting that far by yourself is a real slog.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Jaroof said:
Hmmm..
The folks at Mecha Fetus are responsible for most of the game's art, and they alluded on their blog to "all our easter eggs and cameos." Probably one of their characters or something, not an SP one.

Gooster said:
Finally doing a second run, as Kim this time. Jesus. Is it at all possible to win the SF2 bonus stage-like events in certain stages (e.g. the car and the nuclear bomb in Stage 2)? Obviously it's no hassle at 16, but at 5 I suck.

You should be able to do them if you leave the previous fight in hyper state, which is pretty easy to do thanks to those weak green cactus guys. The bomb is easy, but I think you can only do the car at such a low level if you manage to not get hit by the paparazzi because if you lose even one second, you're getting blown up.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Finally got NEGA Scott! Nega Knives is awesome.

I am still wondering who the last secret character is, though

I'm pretty sure it is
Knives because at the end of the credits when it shows the screen with all the characters, both Knives and Nega-Scott are standing with Steven, Scott, Ramona, and Kim

Shurs said:
It's pretty fucking frustrating to die at a boss and then have to play the whole level over again.
This game harkens back to the old days. Remember when you only had FOUR FUCKING NINJA TURTLES TO DISARM THOSE GOD"DAMMED" BOMBS? Yeah, it's like that. As gamers, we're spoiled today. And no, even if you think we paid our dues, you should be up for the challenge!

I finished this game last week (100%) but I STILL want to see Boss Rush and the 6th playable character....WTF

Maybe they'll do a pack-in code with the Anamanaguchi album :lol , or else I'll have to resort to tweet Geoff Keighley about it, since the GT-review featured the Boss Rush mode.

This is some Banjo-Kazooie Ice key/Mega Man 9 shit right here ! :lol

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Roto13 said:
Does Mr. Chau appear ONLY after beating level 4 specifically, or can I beat level 4 and then go beat other levels? I've played through every stage like five times and he still hasn't appeared. >_>

I know, right? Me and friends have beaten every stage every which way like a red-headed stepchild, and still no Mr. Chau. Is he hard to see on the map or something? Why is stern ninja father so apparently okay with wimpy Canadian slacker dating his daughter?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MollyMillions said:
I know, right? Me and friends have beaten every stage every which way like a red-headed stepchild, and still no Mr. Chau. Is he hard to see on the map or something? Why is stern ninja father so apparently okay with wimpy Canadian slacker dating his daughter?

Comic Book Spoiler...

He isn't in the book ergo why he is stalking Scott with a blade. He only leaves him along after he sees Scott fight another half Ninja and realizes he isn't a super wimp.
:lol :D

so, i've been trying to summon all the strikers for the trophy

my friend shows up, uses the guest account, and gets Knives, Mr. Chau, and Mrs. Chau with the first three summonings.

wtf

Shurs

Verboten said:
This game harkens back to the old days. Remember when you only had FOUR FUCKING NINJA TURTLES TO DISARM THOSE GOD"DAMMED" BOMBS? Yeah, it's like that. As gamers, we're spoiled today. And no, even if you think we paid our dues, you should be up for the challenge!

It feels like it's balanced for a minimum of two players.

Finally had a Mr. Chau appear on the map. I beat him and then went into the next level and when I came out, he was in the exact same spot so I beat him again. I even used a Mr. Chau striker against him. I noticed that it said "Mr. Chau unlocked for Kim" when I did it (or something similar) so does that mean all of the strikers are specific to the person who unlocks them? Might that be the problem with trying to get all of them, that you need to unlock all of them for each player? I dunno, just throwing stuff out and seeing what sticks.

allegate said:
Might that be the problem with trying to get all of them, that you need to unlock all of them for each player? I dunno, just throwing stuff out and seeing what sticks.
To get Chaudown, you only have to use him, his, wife, and negaknives once. You don't have to unlock the Chaus for everyone, i think they're shared.
corn_fest said:
He'll try to, but accidentally pick up a weapon instead.
Edit: Wait, shit. You made that joke in your post.
Yeah, didn't want to reply just to correct you. :p

bryehn

3rd boss is pissing me off, what's the trick? I'm at lvl 8 with Scott and I got him flashing red once.

_dementia said:
god forbid.

Pain in the ass with 30-40 minute levels. Some kind of checkpoint system (even just a halfway one) would be nice.

ezekial45

Banned
bryehn said:
3rd boss is pissing me off, what's the trick? I'm at lvl 8 with Scott and I got him flashing red once.

The best time to hit him is when the vegan police shows up. That'll give you a few seconds to hit him. When he does his transformation attack, stay away from him and hold block until it's done. For the majority of the fight, you should be doing hit and run attacks, staying on him too long will have him do the close range lightning attack.

He's not too bad. Try to get a snack before hand if you can.

Top Bottom