• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

mileS

mileS said:
Game doesn't run full screen when I'm @ 720p for some reason. Looked it up and it seems only a few people have this problem. I'll try the XBL demo and see if I get the same problem. If I don't i'll probably buy the game again lol

same thing for me with the 360 version. hmmm. It can't be for everybody running 720p because I would expect more people bitching about this.

mileS said:
same thing for me with the 360 version. hmmm. It can't be for everybody running 720p because I would expect more people bitching about this.

I'm getting this too. I'm running at 720p on a VGA connection and its really annoying having massive black borders around the screen. What form of input are you using on 360?

mileS

HollywoodHeroes said:
I'm getting this too. I'm running at 720p on a VGA connection and its really annoying having massive black borders around the screen. What form of input are you using on 360?

HDMI

Steaks

Man I ordered some Xbox points with a gift certificate I had, that card cannot get here sooner. :lol

I've managed to avoid reading anything about this game to get myself hype, hopefully my will stays strong for 2 days.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay so I'm a big Scott Pilgrim fan. I've read all the comics, and I went and saw the movie at a midnight release. I was excited about this one when I first heard about it at E3, and was even more excited around the book and movie release(s). I'll admit having to wait a few weeks I was hyped, but not AS hyped.

Plus while I was totally down for the RCR thing as I LOVE that game, I was kinda scratching my head on why everyone was so in love with the pixel art and the music. I mean it seemed to fit the game going off the trailers, but I wasn't seeing something that cool.

Holy fuck I played 5 mins before work, and that shit was Sex-Bob-ombtastic. Seeing the pixel art in fullscreenv verses video just made that much more of an impact, and ditto with the music. I was getting into the music right off, and was like hey wait no wonder everyone was so gaga over the game OST. :lol

MjFrancis

kiryogi said:
So apparently last char is DLC and will only be available when the movie comes out for home release. wtf D:
A three month wait isn't that bad I suppose. Of course I might hold off on purchasing the whole game until the DLC is out, too. Without any online co-op, there's not much incentive to play this right away while the community is vibrant.

How do you create a new profile on the PS3 so a co-op partner can save their progress?

Is it the users section (should I create a user 2)? On my PS3 I'm called User 1, not my PSN ID

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:
Hmm, how do I get to fight Mr. Chau again? I got him on the map once, after I beat level 4, I lost against him, and now even though I finished the game and replayed level 4, he's not showing up.

Also, how do I unlock the zombie mode? I don't see any extra game mode options on the main menu despite beating the game.

Just pay off your video late fees, and buy extra lives from there. You can buy a total of 9 lives, should be more than enough to beat the end level with ease.
There is a push button code on GameFAQs to do it. I would post it for you but I can't access GameFAQs from here. Enter the code once and it's unlocked forever.

Oli

Just downloaded the trial. I'm getting a big black border around the screen. Is that just how the game is? Or am I doing something wrong?

burgerdog

Oli said:
Just downloaded the trial. I'm getting a big black border around the screen. Is that just how the game is? Or am I doing something wrong?
Are you playing in 720p? I'm not getting borders in 1080p.

Cheats-
Allow Two players to select the same character Down RB UP LB Y B
Begin level with Power of Love X X X A B A Y Y
Boss Rush Right Right B RB Right Right B LB
Change coin sprites into animals Up, Up, Down, Down, Up, Up, Up, Up
Enables Blood Mode A B A X A B B
Unlock Zombie Mode Down, Up, Right, Down, Up, Right, Down, Up, Right, Right, Right

kinggroin

Banned
The game always looked interesting to me (only saw pics), in that old school retro nolstagia trip kinda way. I knew I'd buy it eventually. So I play the demo this morning and,

WHY THE FUDGE DID NO ONE SAY THIS IS THE RIVER CITY RANSOM SEQUEL I'VE ALWAYS WANTED!?!?

OMG! The coins, the weapons, the shops, the moves....even the freakin' TWINS?!?

What a completely beautiful surprise. I'm in tears.

MMaRsu

Holy shit man this game is fucking brilliant. Awesome as hell and I don't even know who the fuck Scott Pilgrim is :lol

How long is this game?

Anyone else getting this odd pauses during play?
Like the music will stutter, the game will pause for maybe a second, and then everything resumes as normal.

It gets pretty constant in some sections(like stage 3 before the boss-fight). It's starting to annoy the crap out of me. =(
It's pretty good other than that.

360 rev by the way.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Anyone else getting this odd pauses during play?
Like the music will stutter, the game will pause for maybe a second, and then everything resumes as normal.

It gets pretty constant in some sections(like stage 3 before the boss-fight). It's starting to annoy the crap out of me. =(
It's pretty good other than that.

360 rev by the way.

Yep, I'm getting that too. It seems to happen as something is changing, like when the rate at which a damaged boss blinks, or when you go into glowy super power mode.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Froze and required system restart in Stage 2.

Froze and required a restart in Stage 4.

Music crapped out once on return to shopping district, everything corrected itself after entering Video Store.

Sounds glitchy, but I also have had constant stuttering in the first opening animation for Shank. Scott Pilgrim I've re-DLed once, haven't done this for Shank. Haven't tried to clear Cache yet, either.

Beyond all THAT... game is Great! ^_^ Man, health recovery is so cheap in this game, compared to RCR. Makes it feel a lot more forgiving. Who needs checkpoints? At least there is SOME penalty for death! :lol No money halved for death, A BLOCK BUTTON, defensive rolls, dedicated moves to ground hits, and robust juggles, I even hear there's aerial recovery? Eesh...

I'm also enjoying the music a notch more than I expected. (First stage theme is the perfect "Welcome to stage 1!" theme)

Zombie mode is cool too, rather like how the music builds up so slowly... Survival Horror indeed.

Stumbled upon the secret boss fight for striker, WooT Ninja Gaiden Reference! AWESOME stage. A better battle than I expected. (He cleaned our clocks.) I'd love it if every boss of this game was playable! :D

I wanna take my time with this. Don't really care about over-grinding and getting way too strong. For normal difficulty, I'll enjoy this challenge greatly!

fernoca

So loving this game. :D
Yeah is kinda hard, even when I'm playing on pussy mode or whatever the name is; but darn it's so cool.

Looks amazing (no borders, though I'm at 1080p) only achievements so far are the one about defeating the "first boss" without losing a life and the one of buying every item on a store in one visit.

Currently at Level 5, just starting the second stage. Are there any descriptions of what does each book does?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
fernoca said:
So loving this game. :D
Yeah is kinda hard, even when I'm playing on pussy mode or whatever the name is; but darn it's so cool.

Looks amazing (no borders, though I'm at 1080p) only achievements so far are the one about defeating the "first boss" without losing a life and the one of buying every item on a store in one visit.

Currently at Level 5, just starting the second stage. Are there any descriptions of what does each book does?
There's a shop guide over at GameFAQs I believe. Also one at Giantbomb:

http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-item-shops/1863/

Tendo

Tried to get co op working last night. To save progress I made new profiles called Kim, Ramona, and Steve. However, when my pals signed in and we tried to play the game locked up or ran sluggish. If they play as guests it works fine. Help :( How do I get this so my co op buddies can save their progress AND not kill my game?

MNC

Tendo said:
Tried to get co op working last night. To save progress I made new profiles called Kim, Ramona, and Steve. However, when my pals signed in and we tried to play the game locked up or ran sluggish. If they play as guests it works fine. Help :( How do I get this so my co op buddies can save their progress AND not kill my game?
Xbox or PS3?

Just got it!

Love it but a couple of things that annoy me:

It takes forever to get up after you get knocked down and the game feels slower than I initially thought. And the game is pretty difficult when you play alone.

Still, it's a really good game.

Autofokus

Is the Chaudow trophy bugged? Unlocked every striker and used them, including Nega-Knives and the Chow couple - no trophy. :/

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Autofokus said:
Is the Chaudow trophy bugged? Unlocked every striker and used them, including Nega-Knives and the Chow couple - no trophy. :/
You're not the first to report something like that. It seems that it is indeed bugged for some people :(

I wonder whats next for the developers of this title. They seem to have a passion of retro games and would love to see they create another titles with great sprites and art again....maybe a platformer or a 2d Zelda clone.

Was playing it all morning by myself, got my friend to hop in and we have frozen twice at The Clash at Demonhead level at around the same spot. Xbox 360. What the hell is going on.

Tried the trial but the game seems to be not suited for me. I don't play a lot of these side scrolling beat em up games but usually like them, but not with this game. Although I love the presentation of the game, I hate the fighting system. It takes forever for you and the enemies to get back up and I can't do many different things. I don't have any strategy during the fighting and keep getting hit or blocked. Also don't know what to do with a enemy when he is laying on the ground, can pick him up but only throwing him away seems to do damage. I want to love this game but how am I supposed to play this?

XiaNaphryz

Prophet Steve said:
Tried the trial but the game seems to be not suited for me. I don't play a lot of these side scrolling beat em up games but usually like them, but not with this game. Although I love the presentation of the game, I hate the fighting system. It takes forever for you and the enemies to get back up and I can't do many different things. I don't have any strategy during the fighting and keep getting hit or blocked. Also don't know what to do with a enemy when he is laying on the ground, can pick him up but only throwing him away seems to do damage. I want to love this game but how am I supposed to play this?
The gameplay gets a lot better once you start upgrading stats and unlocking moves. You'll be able to move faster, recover faster, take less damage, attack enemies on the ground directly, double jump, etc etc.

Doorman

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Just got it!

Love it but a couple of things that annoy me:

It takes forever to get up after you get knocked down and the game feels slower than I initially thought. And the game is pretty difficult when you play alone.

Still, it's a really good game.
Regarding the slowness to get up, I believe that's one of the factors of your character's speed stat. Meaning, the longer you play and buy items to increase your character's speed, the quicker they'll get up. The game in general just seems to play better once you've got the larger compliment of moves and stat upgrades to work with.

I've only encountered one glitch so far that required a reset, came in level 3 while exiting from the shop area there. The music kept playing but the screen froze on near-black (you could tell just a little that the screen had been trying to return to the battle area) and the game stopped. I think the game somehow got caught between entering and exiting the shop.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Prophet Steve said:
You'll unlock new moves along the way, including some that allow you to hit enemies while they're on the floor.

fernoca

Prophet Steve said:
If they block your punches, try kicking them.
Picking up enemies are mostly to be used as weapon to beat other enemies (like when ypu pick items were one button is used to hit, and the other is to throw), though for a little time. Also keep in mind that you level up and you unlock more abilities as you level up, plus you can buy items too.

Anyway, how do you deativate cheats? I used the one to change coins; but I want to change it back. :p

By the way, one missing cheat from the list posted a few posts above:

(Xbox 360 version)
Sound Stage (lets you listen to the sounds and music from the game)
While in the map, pause the game in the pause menu press: LB, LB, LB, RB, RB, RB, LB, RB
PS3 version is the same, just chage B with 1. :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Prophet Steve said:

Yeah the trial might scare some away if you don't understand the River City Ransom throwback. You sucked in that game to at first until you saved up enough cash for your 1st legit move. Once you got say Dragon Feet then you could spam that and make life alot easier as you progressively pimped your character out. Pilgrim is no different in that aspect.

XiaNaphryz

LocoMrPollock said:
Is there any way to make the sound not sound like complete shit? I like the graphics and the game, but the fucking sound is killing it for me.
You don't like chiptunes? Because that's the entire soundtrack.

Top Bottom