• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Host Samurai said:
I wonder whats next for the developers of this title. They seem to have a passion of retro games and would love to see they create another titles with great sprites and art again....maybe a platformer or a 2d Zelda clone.

It's Ubisoft Montreal. It's a licensed game and that's it.

fernoca

Prophet Steve said:
Thank you guys for saying that combat will get better after the trial. But I only have 1760 points or something so I think I'll buy Limbo.
The game is only 800. So you can buy this, Splosion Man if you don't have it; enjoy some awesome 2D-like gaming and use the remaining points in a premium theme of avatar stuff. :p

Vamphuntr

Does the XBLA version have online co-op? I have 860 points left and this would be a deal breaker for me between this and a Borderlands DLC pack.

Tendo

MNC said:
Xbox or PS3?
PS3

EDIT: - to clarify for the new page - "Tried to get co op working last night. To save progress I made new profiles called Kim, Ramona, and Steve. However, when my pals signed in and we tried to play the game locked up or ran sluggish. If they play as guests it works fine. Help :( How do I get this so my co op buddies can save their progress AND not kill my game?"

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is gonna sound dumb but whatever.

So I just started playing on the 360, but I'm not sure how to use items you buy to go?

I'm in the 1st level, and went into the coffee shop. I got an item to go just like in RCR, but I'm not sure how to use the item now? I see the little icon when I press start, but no clue where to go to actually drink my expresso?

Brettison said:
This is gonna sound dumb but whatever.

So I just started playing on the 360, but I'm not sure how to use items you buy to go?

I'm in the 1st level, and went into the coffee shop. I got an item to go just like in RCR, but I'm not sure how to use the item now? I see the little icon when I press start, but no clue where to go to actually drink my expresso?

It's easy to miss but when you buy an item to go it shows up as a Snack near your health. The next time you "die," it'll use the snack automatically to revive you.

Espresso to go, I'm not sure how it works. It'll either make you hyper on your next life or not work at all.

Vanillalite

Pai Pai Master said:
It's easy to miss but when you buy an item to go it shows up as a Snack near your health. The next time you "die," it'll use the snack automatically to revive you.

Espresso to go, I'm not sure how it works. It'll either make you hyper on your next life or not work at all.

Ah okay thanks! Yeah I see the coffee cup next to my health in the menu. I just figured I had to manually use it somehow! That makes sense thanks!!!

Vanillalite

I was wondering why everyone thought the 2nd boss was so hard until I got to him. :lol :lol

I was chilln in vent and just blurted out omg the boss just fuck'n kicked my ass! :lol :lol

Yeah I can definitely see why people said it was alot easier after leveling or just spending some cash. Ditto on the complaint though about not seeing what each item will do for you until after you buy it. That might have been an overlooked flaw in the NES days, but it was a WTF is this shit problem to me now.

fernoca

Barry Lightning said:
wow this game is soooooo not fun...huge disappointment
What were you expecting?
Is supposed to be and play like a mix of River City Ransom and a few arcade games like The Simpsons and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
fernoca said:
What were you expecting?
Is supposed to be and play like a mix of River City Ransom and a few arcade games like The Simpsons and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
It's also a bit clunky at first until you start unlocking a couple moves and level up your stats a bit.

nah, anyone that can't rock with the initial moveset is bitch

OK FINE, the throw move is really necessary for when the enemies start turtling

I don't think the 2nd boss is horrible, you just have to learn to use your special move when his skateboarding bros come to ollie into you, and then attack using the skateboards

fernoca

XiaNaphryz said:
It's also a bit clunky at first until you start unlocking a couple moves and level up your stats a bit.
Yeah. but one thing is that (which is more related to difficulty) and another is saying that is a huge dissapointment (which is related to expectations).

But he didn't said why it was a dissapointment; which is why I asked.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How much better does the combat get after the trial? Seemed, clunky. Even for RCR clone. I also thought the difficulty was hard as fuck solo in the trial with all the pauses and weird moments where my attacks wouldn't register (XBLA version) even though I'm standing next to the guy and he isn't blocking. Does the difficulty at least become fair later on? Or is it much more manageable in coop?

Frankly I am in love with Scott Pilgrim but buying a game that will continually punish me is kind of a turn off. Got the points waiting and everything.

ezekial45

Banned
enzo_gt said:
How much better does the combat get after the trial? Seemed, clunky. Even for RCR clone. I also thought the difficulty was hard as fuck solo in the trial with all the pauses and weird moments where my attacks wouldn't register (XBLA version) even though I'm standing next to the guy and he isn't blocking. Does the difficulty at least become fair later on? Or is it much more manageable in coop?

Frankly I am in love with Scott Pilgrim but buying a game that will continually punish me is kind of a turn off. Got the points waiting and everything.

The combat feels MUCH better once you level up and get new moves and techniques.

fernoca

enzo_gt said:

Technically the combat gets better, as you get better. Since the game relies on leveling up the character, learning new moves and picking/using items it depends.

You'll sometimes may need to play an area a few times and die a lot, just to level up; in order to actually beat that area and move on.

Well the big thing is there's an evasive roll move that's hella useful but it doesn't unlock for quite a few levelups. Big mistake not putting that in there early on. Hell the same could be said for most of the moves that get unlocked via levelups. It should have been set up so that getting levelups unlocked wild special moves and stuff, for more flavor in the combat and to give skilled players some cool tricks to play around with. Instead a lot of the unlocked moves tend to be the kinds of things we almost take for granted in a beatemup. Then again I'm only about halfway through unlocking Ramona's moveset so she probably gets cool stuff like shohammeryukens and whatevs.

Still it's fun stuff and the "physics" engine(which was lifted straight from RCR) is wonderful. Killing people by juggling them with objects is great.

What is the deal with that counter move btw? I've only played the game a couple hours yet I've never pulled it off despite hammering the B button pathetically.

Kind of feeling like grabbing River City Ransom EX now. I already have the original but the remake adds a ton of way cool stuff that I never bothered to mess around with last time I played the game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Does the XBLA version have drop in/drop out? Or at least can I start a game with 2 of my friends, level up, quit, and get back into the game with us all on the same level? How much replayability is there exactly? Do the codes disable achievements? A lot of them sound really cool. Is Lisa in the game?

/paranoid about spending mspts after downloading some really shitty xbla games.

And yeah that press B to counter didn't work well in actual situations in the trial.

fernoca

enzo_gt said:
Does the XBLA version have drop in/drop out? Or at least can I start a game with 2 of my friends, level up, quit, and get back into the game with us all on the same level? How much replayability is there exactly? Do the codes disable achievements? A lot of them sound really cool. Is Lisa in the game?

And yeah that press B to counter didn't work well in actual situations in the trial.
Neither the PS3 nor the 360 version have drop in/out.
They can only join during the character selection screen. Though, unlike the PS3 version; they can't join as guests. So you need create individual profiles for each. (So the money exploit from the PS3 can't be done on the 360; as far as I know)

Each character that levels up, is saved to the individual profile. Basically, if you want to level up all characters, you have to play with each character on the same profile.

Replayability depends on how much you want to play. Max Level is currently 18. And nope, codes don't disable achievements.

corn_fest

enzo_gt said:
Does the XBLA version have drop in/drop out? No Or at least can I start a game with 2 of my friends, level up, quit, and get back into the game with us all on the same level? Not sure what you mean, but I think yes How much replayability is there exactly? Not a lot of replayablility in the levels unless you want to fight the bosses again but there are leaderboards Do the codes disable achievements? no A lot of them sound really cool. Is Lisa in the game? no

Man, that makes it sound so bad. It's really a good game!

Giard

Just bought this on a whim.

The game keeps having these freezing issues; it happens like once every 20 seconds or so, the game and sound freezes for a half second then everything is back to normal. My g/f thinks they might be intentional, to emulate "old game glitches", but goddamn is it annoying.

Anybody else having these "issues"? Are they issues at all?

fernoca said:
Yeah. but one thing is that (which is more related to difficulty) and another is saying that is a huge dissapointment (which is related to expectations).

But he didn't said why it was a dissapointment; which is why I asked.
i really had no expectations aside from what the screenahots relayed to me. that being (as someone mentioned) an updated river city ransome style brawler.

but come on. it's clunky. i feel like his arms are too short or some shit, and he never connects hits. i also keep wanting to grab people but cant so far (upgrade move?)

it's also quite boring. it's drop-dead gorgeous however. still, being disappointed is being disappointed. it's as simple as that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thanks for the replies, guys. What I meant was, If I start a coop game with my 2 friends on their profiles, and say we get to the third evil ex, but I have to turn the xbox off. When I turn it back on, will all out characters be leveled (obviously on their respective profiles) up to and will we be able to continue from where we left off?

Odd question I know, sorry.

fernoca

enzo_gt said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. What I meant was, If I start a coop game with my 2 friends on their profiles, and say we get to the third evil ex, but I have to turn the xbox off. When I turn it back on, will all out characters be leveled (obviously on their respective profiles) up to and will we be able to continue from where we left off?

Odd question I know, sorry.
Yeah. Make sure you're back on the map, before turning it off. :p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
fernoca said:
Yeah. Make sure you're back on the map, before turning it off. :p
Oh jeez this is castle crashers all over again :lol I don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one :lol :lol

mandiller

Where is the best place to get more coins fairly early on in the game (level 1-4) so I can save up to pay off the late fees? Also, do you get more coins on higher difficulties?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
ICallItFutile said:
I dunno... never say never. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of followup depending on sales... It needn't be Scott Pilgrim licensed (but it might be nice to see more Paul Robertson art/Anamanaguchi music)

I just played this for 2 hours straight. Old school, awesomesauce beat em up.

I'm in love. These are the types of games I grew up playing.

Nose Master

This is pretty great. I'm playing on normal (middle? Rough and tough?) and it's hard as balls :lol. Well, it was, until I started playing better / juggling better etc. I really wish it had online co-op, though. Oh well. So much better than Shank.

Actually beat the third boss only doing like 2-3 HP a hit, is that normal? The same old brawler staple of jabbing then walking a little bit up/down still works :lol (Except for
skateboard guy
. Fuck you,
skateboard guy
.)

mandiller

I've just had my first console freeze with this game (360). They sure let a few bugs slip through with this one.

In a level it got stuck and wouldn't let me progress even after I'd killed all the baddies, so I kill myself and go back to the main menu then it freezes and I can't do anything. Oh well. It saved I believe.

Good game though.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well to be fair River City Ransom didn't have grabs either.

You learn how to grab later.

Giard said:
Just bought this on a whim.

The game keeps having these freezing issues; it happens like once every 20 seconds or so, the game and sound freezes for a half second then everything is back to normal. My g/f thinks they might be intentional, to emulate "old game glitches", but goddamn is it annoying.

Anybody else having these "issues"? Are they issues at all?

It doesn't happen that often for me, but I'm pretty sure it was intentional.

S1kkZ

is the official game soundtrack missing some tracks? i cant find the track from the second stage on the soundtrack and there seems to be more missing. :(

S1kkZ said:
is the official game soundtrack missing some tracks? i cant find the track from the second stage on the soundtrack and there seems to be more missing. :(

Yeah there are some tracks not in it. Mostly short stuff or stuff that loops quick.

Vanillalite

IDK... I gotta admit on the 360 version last night at least through stage 1 and 2 I didn't encounter any bugs. Everything seemed to run smoothly both in terms of the video and no weird music bugs either. Been smooth for me here, but maybe I'm just missing it (or think it's just part of the game or something! :lol )

mujun

This is going to be in my top 5 games for the year for sure. I love pretty much everything about it. The levelling/character powering stuff is done so well. Absolutely love being able to beast after buying some of the 100+ dollar stuff.

What does paying off late fees get you btw?

You know that one point where the bus arrives in the first stage? Errh well the second time around? I managed to get hit by the bus before it even appeared. =/

I think I was all coked up and did a super jump and then boom as soon as the !! appeared I got hit.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
ICallItFutile said:
HostSamurai said:
I wonder whats next for the developers of this title. They seem to have a passion of retro games and would love to see they create another titles with great sprites and art again....maybe a platformer or a 2d Zelda clone.
Publisher =/= developer. The main people on the project weren't internal at Ubisoft.

It's hard-locked the system three or four times in the past 3 days, and prior to that not at all.

I'm at the last level with Kim, and once I beat it with her I just have to beat it with Stephen. The game is so much faster with characters that are level 16/all stats at 100. Sometimes too fast though as some characters, when they jump, jump further than they need to and I fall in a lot of spike pits. :/
mujun said:
This is going to be in my top 5 games for the year for sure. I love pretty much everything about it. The levelling/character powering stuff is done so well. Absolutely love being able to beast after buying some of the 100+ dollar stuff.

What does paying off late fees get you btw?
The ability to level up for $4.95.

Top Bottom