• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

And more!

The Mystical Head- a 1up (a player can have a max of 9 at one time)
Seven Shaolin Masters- XP:+100 DEF:+10 SPD:+10 WP:+10 STR:+10
Aliens Vs T-Rex- STR:+20
Alone and Disturbed- XP:+1500
I Love your Boyfriend- XP: +320 DEF:+15 WP:+15

Roto13

mandiller said:
Where is the best place to get more coins fairly early on in the game (level 1-4) so I can save up to pay off the late fees? Also, do you get more coins on higher difficulties?
The 1st and 4th levels give you a lot of coins if you take advantage of the subspace pigs. If you can make it to the 5th level, there's a room right at the beginning with a bunch of $ blocks that will give you about $20. You can go in, nab some cash, quit to the map, repeat.

If you actually want to play levels to grind, I suggest buying a Bionic Arm from Wallace's secret shop. It's like $130 or something, but it gives you 50 Strength so grinding is a lot faster. Unless you're not paying off the late fees to be overpowered and you just want to buy lives for $5. :p

I don't think you get more coins on higher difficulties.

I bought the game last week and its awesome but I had to return the used PS3 I bought (disc drive was acting funny). I decided to just wait and reserve the 320gb Move Bundle. The game is a challenge but I feel that some of the challenge is presented because of some of the mechanics not working like they should (just like the games it tries to emulate). Overall, it's a great game and I'm so glad that it's only $10. One of the best $10 downloadable games to come out on PSN/XBLA this year.

Nose Master

Having fun with it, but encountered a pretty bad glitch, at least I think it was. Level 4, I fell through the floor which I assume would usually mean death. But... I didn't die. Not only that, but the enemies jumped in after me and I had no way to get out after killing them. :lol

Mr Jared

I'm sort of upset that Scott Pilgrim came out the same day as Shank because I am totally not playing Shank at all. Curse you Pilgrim!

Suairyu

Banned
So I have on last trophy to unlock, the one where you don't take a single hit before reaching the boss. Does it have to be done from the very beginning of the level or can you jump in at a midpoint like the shopping district?

Roto13

Mr Jared said:
I'm sort of upset that Scott Pilgrim came out the same day as Shank because I am totally not playing Shank at all. Curse you Pilgrim!

4glwrr.png

Suairyu said:
So I have on last trophy to unlock, the one where you don't take a single hit before reaching the boss. Does it have to be done from the very beginning of the level or can you jump in at a midpoint like the shopping district?

Beginning of the level.

robot

Man that Bionic Arm upgrade made the game a little too easy. Kinda breezing through now that my strength is around 72. Kinda wish I didnt buy it but the game is still a blast.

Any idea what the other items in that hidden shop from Stage 1 do?

Suairyu

Banned
Roto13 said:
Beginning of the level.
I was afraid of that. Even with fully levelled characters and all the patience to block and dodge roll in the world, there's always something/someone that manages to hit me for 1hp at some point.

corn_fest

Suairyu said:
I was afraid of that. Even with fully levelled characters and all the patience to block and dodge roll in the world, there's always something/someone that manages to hit me for 1hp at some point.
You could use the sword code.

Mr Jared

_dementia said:
except it totally didn't
mutliplatform owner ftw

I don't buy anything non-exclusive for PlayStation 3 or Wii, sooooo.. in my world, it came out this week :)

Roto13 said:
Well you apparently waited an extra two weeks to buy the inferior version of the game (according to all the people here complaining about game-freezing bugs) so maybe rethink that rule.

I'm enjoying the game perfectly fine. I hope that my enjoyment somehow diminishes yours.

Roto13

Mr Jared said:
I don't buy anything non-exclusive for PlayStation 3 or Wii, sooooo.. in my world, it came out this week :)

Well you apparently waited an extra two weeks to buy the inferior version of the game (according to all the people here complaining about game-freezing bugs) so maybe rethink that rule.

Mr Jared said:
I played the demo for Shank and while the game was fun and looks amazing, I'm good on beat-em-ups for a little while.
Suairyu said:
I did a two player game, and my feet were the second player. My toes cramped a bit after holding block for so long but I got it. :lol

ezekial45

Banned
So i found out what the problem was for my character data on the PS3 version. It seems as though my data was saved to my brother's PSN account and his data was saved on mine. Unfortunately, it seems that i can't play my data on my account. Though for some odd reason, i was able to do it several times with no problems.

Roto13 said:

From what I've been hearing (in this thread alone) they both have the same amount of problems. I haven't had any with mine yet though (X360 version).

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
GuitarAtomik said:
From what I've been hearing (in this thread alone) they both have the same amount of problems. I haven't had any with mine yet though (X360 version).
I've been playing the PS3 version since launch almost everyday and didn't meet any problems yet. Today I played the 360 version in a friend's house and it froze twice in under 2 hours.

Roto13

GuitarAtomik said:
It seems to me there's a lot more complaining about freezing now than there was when the PS3 version came out. I played the PS3 version completely through 6 times (with plenty of grinding) and while I've run into some bugs, it never froze and I never had to quit a stage.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
kiryogi said:

Oh damn, that is awesome! Man... all those ideas they had for the levels are epic! THEY NEED TO RELEASE A DIRECTORS CUT! I would buy it! Heck give me a 5 dllrs expansion of the game which will make me play the stages all over again!!

And I hope the 6th DLC character is on the Blu-ray Movie, because... I'm not buying DVD!!

-DarKaoZ- said:
Oh damn, that is awesome! Man... all those ideas they had for the levels are epic! THEY NEED TO RELEASE A DIRECTORS CUT! I would buy it! Heck give me a 5 dllrs expansion of the game which will make me play the stages all over again!!

And I hope the 6th DLC character is on the Blu-ray Movie, because... I'm not buying DVD!!

Yes that link was very interesting...

Decado

I'm having trouble loading the game (freezes at start screen or difficulty select screen) lately. Does this game have bugs?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Decado said:
I'm having trouble loading the game (freezes at start screen or difficulty select screen) lately. Does this game have bugs?

It's a bit buggy sometimes, but it depends on the day. Try reseting your system if anything. Also what version you are playing? (PS3/360)

Hige

Suairyu said:
Super easy way to get the "Invulnerable" trophy/achievement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GNpExOckwY

Got this game on 360, beat it once with Scott. Loving it! :D The art has kind of an old school vibe but still looks up to date and the music's pretty good. I really like the music on the Frying Tengu level. The combat is just really arcade-y and enjoyable. I was surprised how difficult the game was even on the lowest difficulty until I got my stats boosted to a reasonable level. Man, I haven't even touched the Shank demo yet I'm so wrapped up in Scott Pilgrim. So awesome.

Just played through it and uh..naw not feeling it.
It's decent for what it is, well except for the glitches and bugs(and no I'm not throwing these guys another $10 to see if the PS3 version is any better) but as a beatemup it's just not there in the slightest.

The mechanics are too sloppy, the enemy behavior isn't quite there, most of the challenge comes from the fact that enemies have zero reaction time and don't offer much of anything in the way of creative maneuvers or unique abilities. They rush in, pull some combo that you can't do much of anything against(the escape move is all but useless). After awhile I can throw out a counter as soon as they get close but if for whatever reason I'm doing something else(like trying to land a combo or just plain play aggressively, I eat a combo for my trouble.

Far as I can tell there's barely a darn thing that makes any of the four characters unique aside from some special skills and maybe a different move here or there. This really sucks.

Basically the game relies too much on its style and the nostalgia of the player-base. Take that away and it wouldn't even be able to hold up to the average throwaway Konami beatemup, let alone something from the likes of Capcom, Sega, and so on.

And I just got a hard-freeze.
Fuck this game.

Kind of a random question, but are any of the secret codes learned about/gained ingame? Or does this all just hearken back to the earlier eras where every code was learned from a magazine/friend/internet?

YulB.Yeung said:
Kind of a random question, but are any of the secret codes learned about/gained ingame? Or does this all just hearken back to the earlier eras where every code was learned from a magazine/friend/internet?

None of the codes are revealed in-game, just the few unlockable things.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'd say these days... the codes are revealed through a new gaming tradition... which is by having Ubi staff leak them onto GAF :D

Holy shit another hard freeze.
Same exact section too.
Character: Scott

No really this is fucking bad.

I guess I'll just have to not use Scott anymore.

Nevermind this ain't worth it.
Review posted. I'm out.

Nose Master

Got in some 4-player co-op finally, was great. Had a few glitches, though :(. Complete lock-up at one point, and saving issues at another. Got to the end of level 2 and killed the boss, went to the map immediately. Not only that, but we also went back into level one, then exited to the map to verify the save-pig. Booting it up th enext time, we were still only on level 2.

Bionic Arm makes the game way too easy. How does equipment work, exactly? (I never played RCR)

Nose Master said:
Got in some 4-player co-op finally, was great. Had a few glitches, though :(. Complete lock-up at one point, and saving issues at another. Got to the end of level 2 and killed the boss, went to the map immediately. Not only that, but we also went back into level one, then exited to the map to verify the save-pig. Booting it up th enext time, we were still only on level 2.

Bionic Arm makes the game way too easy. How does equipment work, exactly? (I never played RCR)

It gives you permanent stat boosts, which increase speed, strength, willpower and defense.

Solune

-DarKaoZ- said:

Hmm was going through the GameFAQs guides and saw this in the FAQ i was reading.

GameFAQs Guide said:
Question: Is Knives an unlockable character?
Answer: Yes she will be in DLC to coincide with the movie DVD release.

Sort of makes sense, but would be strange with her being playable and someone calls her in as striker at the same time, not that it matters. But where did this information even come from?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Holy shit another hard freeze.
Same exact section too.
Character: Scott

No really this is fucking bad.

I guess I'll just have to not use Scott anymore.

Nevermind this ain't worth it.
Review posted. I'm out.
Heh. Zero. That's harsh, man.

Not sure what I would do if I had a consistent lock-up problem, though. Mine locked up once and that's it. If you can't play it, that's pretty much got to be a definition of a zero right there.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Woah that sucks hardcore about so many lockups.

It makes me soooo happy I haven't had these issues. Wonder if clearing the cache would help fix any of the bugs. Probably not, but gah that sucks. I doubt this shit gets patched either. :(

Brettison said:
Woah that sucks hardcore about so many lockups.

It makes me soooo happy I haven't had these issues. Wonder if clearing the cache would help fix any of the bugs. Probably not, but gah that sucks. I doubt this shit gets patched either. :(

I haven't had ANY problems at all. Weird.
That said, the dev at the blog posted said a patch is probably in the works for minor stuff. I.E. Lockups, glitches... etc.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I just bought the game on Xbox Live Arcade and played the first level. While I love the retro art style, I have alot of problems with the game. I don't know about the rest of you, but it's a real chore to fight your opponents. The problem is when they get knocked down, it takes them forever to get up and while you can attack them while they're down, it hardly does any damage to them. Maybe they should have given the nameless thugs less HP or make them get up faster when knocked down. I know the game is based on River City Ransom, but it would have been nice if you could use grapple attacks ala Final Fight and Streets of Rage. Finally, I find blocking to be useless, as the AI appears to know when you're blocking and will stop attacking. Blocking was never used in old school beat em ups so why include it here? Anyway, I love the Scott Pilgrim comics, but the game mechanics could have used alot more tweaking.

Solune

richiek said:
I just bought the game on Xbox Live Arcade and played the first level. While I love the retro art style, I have alot of problems with the game. I don't know about the rest of you, but it's a real chore to fight your opponents. The problem is when they get knocked down, it takes them forever to get up and while you can attack them while they're down, it hardly does any damage to them. Maybe they should have given the nameless thugs less HP or make them get up faster when knocked down. I know the game is based on River City Ransom, but it would have been nice if you could use grapple attacks ala Final Fight and Streets of Rage. Finally, I find blocking to be useless, as the AI appears to know when you're blocking and will stop attacking. Blocking was never used in old school beat em ups so why include it here? Anyway, I love the Scott Pilgrim comics, but the game mechanics could have used alot more tweaking.

I'll just go through your tl;dr and break it up.
1. You can hit them while they're knocked down, you need to level up first.
2. You can grapple them, you need to level up first.
3. Blocking is quite useful, you don't necessarily have to use it against nameless badguys. The block button also has different functions, again you need to level up first

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Solune said:
I'll just go through your tl;dr and break it up.
1. You can hit them while they're knocked down, you need to level up first.

2. You can grapple them, you need to level up first.

3. Blocking is quite useful, you don't necessarily have to use it against nameless badguys. The block button also has different functions, again you need to level up first

1. I know I did level up. As I said before, those attacks don't do much damage.

2. OK, I'll take your word for it.

3.I did level up. I got the counter attack move, but it was only semi useful against the first boss.

I'm gonna go through the next few levels. But if the game is such a chore to play in just the first level, how does it expect me to want to play it all the way through?

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
If you're still having problems, level up some more. Also, eat food, don't just beat up bad guys. Leveling up only unlocks moves, eating stuff is the only way to actually increase your stats. The beginning level or so is pretty annoying, but once you've gotten past that it's actually pretty easy.

Also pay attention to the backgrounds for stores. I watched someone else place last night and completely missed a lot of the stuff, like the subspace highway in the first level (not the one at the end of the stage) or the food trailer in level 2.

oracrest

richiek said:
1. I know I did level up. As I said before, those attacks don't do much damage.

2. OK, I'll take your word for it.

3.I did level up. I got the counter attack move, but it was only semi useful against the first boss.

I'm gonna go through the next few levels. But if the game is such a chore to play in just the first level, how does it expect me to want to play it all the way through?

While leveling up is important and unlocks moves, you will need to eat a lot of food to buff up your stats. This was something that I did not understand until level 5 myself. When you eat food, any increase to Strength, Defense, and Speed are permanent.

robot

I finished level 5 and noticed a dude in black appear further back on the map (world 4?) but I hit the button on the next level too quick to realize. I went back to the map and havent seen him since. Anyone know what thats about?

RaGe_pt

I just played the demo! Man the game is addicting. Am I the only one that loved the music? Makes me want to go out and start jump kicking everyone in the face! :lol

Top Bottom