• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

robot said:
I finished level 5 and noticed a dude in black appear further back on the map (world 4?) but I hit the button on the next level too quick to realize. I went back to the map and havent seen him since. Anyone know what thats about?
That's Mr. Chau.

If you go to him on the map, you can fight him and unlock him as an assist.

robot

rasberryjam said:
That's Mr. Chau.

If you go to him on the map, you can fight him and unlock him as an assist.

Oh man that's awesome - is his appearance completely random? Does going into a level and just exiting out work?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
discoalucard said:
If you're still having problems, level up some more. Also, eat food, don't just beat up bad guys. Leveling up only unlocks moves, eating stuff is the only way to actually increase your stats. The beginning level or so is pretty annoying, but once you've gotten past that it's actually pretty easy.

Also pay attention to the backgrounds for stores. I watched someone else place last night and completely missed a lot of the stuff, like the subspace highway in the first level (not the one at the end of the stage) or the food trailer in level 2.

This may be a stupid question but once you eat some food does that increase the stat forever..?

LegatoB

robot said:
Oh man that's awesome - is his appearance completely random? Does going into a level and just exiting out work?
It seems to be triggered by returning to the map (or clearing a stage) with low life and guts. At least that's the pattern some people have observed; it might actually be totally random. Of course, since you have to beat him once he's there with a single life, you want to be careful about that!

daycru

God this game is fucking broken. Played it on my buddy's PS3: the mini boss on the Vegan dude's stage never spawned. Just bought it for 360, got to the second level where you have to beat up the car: hard lock up, had to turn the system off from the power button on the console. It'd be a fun game if it ever worked.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
oracrest said:
While leveling up is important and unlocks moves, you will need to eat a lot of food to buff up your stats. This was something that I did not understand until level 5 myself. When you eat food, any increase to Strength, Defense, and Speed are permanent.

Yeah the key for me has been unless you want to pay off that late fee, no reason to horde your money for mega goodies at the end. It's just gonna make it a pain in the arse to get there. Buy shit early and often, and the permanent stat increases will do WONDERS I tell you.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Wow... I have the PS3 version and it only lock on me twice and I already pass the game with all the characters.

But all this lock on are happening a lot in the 360, this is a shame. =/

Vanillalite

Oh yeah why is it beat'em ups have so many issues? Castle Crashers was a cluster fuck and a half at launch as well despite being a good core game.

robot said:
I finished level 5 and noticed a dude in black appear further back on the map (world 4?) but I hit the button on the next level too quick to realize. I went back to the map and havent seen him since. Anyone know what thats about?

Mr Chou. He spawns randomly on the world map. If you defeat him you unlock him (and Mrs Chow) as a striker (left bumper).

Adam J.

Finally beat this game.

Man do I feel stupid. I didn't realize until tonight that you could grab the love-sword out of the cloud and use it against Gideon. Before I was just punching him to death, which took forever and never left me with enough men to beat the game. Also, wasn't I supposed to get Nega-Scott after beating it?

Roto13

Adam J. said:
Finally beat this game.

Man do I feel stupid. I didn't realize until tonight that you could grab the love-sword out of the cloud and use it against Gideon. Before I was just punching him to death, which took forever and never left me with enough men to beat the game. Also, wasn't I supposed to get Nega-Scott after beating it?
You need to do it with all four characters.

Karmacide

This game is REALLY glitchy. So glitchy that the glitches that don't freeze or lock the game are really fun.

Some Examples:

Had 4 players today, and we went into the Sushi store and there was an enemy in there who immediately shoulder tackled us out of the store and we all just cracked up.

We went into another store and the enemy that was in the sushi store just walks from the side of the screen through the counter and attacks us again.

After we beat the first boss, the characters were doing their win poses but an item was still in motion and bounced off the wall and hit the one of the players which knocked him out of his win pose. He was then free to roam around on the Score screen and throw other players around which too became free to move around.

Went to the second boss fight with player A carrying player B over his head, player A breaks free during the boss intro and falls to the ground and is free to walk around but player B still has the carrying animation and swinging causes Player A to glitch all over the screen.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I put some codes in that unlock the extra modes, turned the game off, turned it on today and they're all gone? Do I have to put them in every time I play the game?

enzo_gt said:
I put some codes in that unlock the extra modes, turned the game off, turned it on today and they're all gone? Do I have to put them in every time I play the game?

You probably have to do something that would cause the game to save, like... play one of the modes.

Stumbled upon another glitch:

Dunno if this is exclusive to one stage but on the first level during the walk through the shopping district I started sliding up and down if I even so much as tapped the analog stick in the respective direction. If I didn't know any better I'd say that since the first stage has snow that technically makes it an ice stage and I'm supposed to be sliding around. It fixed itself after awhile which I guess was around the same time I got bored sliding down the screen while punching people.

Oh and I paused during one of the boss-fight intros and...well..I had to restart the stage cause there wasn't going to be a boss-fight.

At least I didn't get hit with another hard-freeze. Although that might have something to do with me not being on Xboxlive. Why does the entire game have to skip every time a song loops anyway? Yeesh what a mess.

The only glitch/lockup I have had with the ps3 version is that sometimes it locks right after loading. It happened the very first time I played and it's happened 3-4 more times since. Annoying but I've played this game a ton and it hasn't been bad.

Decado

Wow. Big robot is really annoying
when punching you off the stairs...could take me a while to get past this point :(

Since the day I bought the game, I never experienced any major problems with it aside from some menus taking a few seconds to appear, but today that changed. I wanted to grind a bit to level up a certain secret character, and as soon as I saw the world map I noticed that there was no music. At the time I assumed this was nothing serious and proceeded to the first world. I saw the little SP load icon and then nothing happened. It wouldn't load and any time I tried to quit to the XMB, my PS3 would reset. I gave up trying to get it to work, so I played something else for a while. Later on, I decided to try it again, and had no problems. I managed to beat the game with NS and the only problem I experienced was a ninja not appearing just before you reach the subspace door to Roxanne (he eventually showed up after a minute or so). I don't understand how the game would stop working inexplicably, and then be just fine a few hours later.

Potential final boss spoiler:
Also,
Gideon was being a total dick tonight. Every time I tried to hit him, he would punch me off the platform.
I was so fucking pissed.

Ventrue

This game is stylish, but boy is it fucking frustrating. I dropped the controller in anger at the last fight. I don't care enough to finish, despite my love of the source material.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I beat stage 3 last night in tears over how hard the game was - everyone being able to take me out in a few hits and me having to pummel them.

Then I discovered that the characters need powerups to get higher attributes. :lol Now the game is ridiculously easy.

mujun

Finally beat stage 7 on the highest difficulty! Friggin froze on me two times before I finally got through it.

One more run to go to unlock:D

Jintor

Ventrue said:
This game is stylish, but boy is it fucking frustrating. I dropped the controller in anger at the last fight. I don't care enough to finish, despite my love of the source material.

Psst, you just suck :B

Finally got the Chaudown trophy. I was startled when Mrs. Chau came out because she looks so normal compared to the other strikers. Didn't even know it was her in the backgrounds until that happened. She was waiting for a bus, and in the one level is just hanging out by the bridge. Weird. Just need to do a hardest level run and I'll have all of the trophies.

Also: NegaScott does have a cool level 2 tech, but the directions (hold triangle for two seconds) don't tell you the important part: let go. I'm holding it and I keep getting hit because I'm counting, "1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2, 1 thousand 3, wtf nothing's happening." :lol

So, about beating the game on the highest difficulty: do you have to beat each and every level, or just the last one? Because I went through level 7 on that difficulty, beat it, and no trophy.

conman

IPoopStandingUp said:
I beat stage 3 last night in tears over how hard the game was - everyone being able to take me out in a few hits and me having to pummel them.

Then I discovered that the characters need powerups to get higher attributes. :lol Now the game is ridiculously easy.
Same thing happened to me! I was getting seriously pissed off at how hard Stage 3 was, then figured out how the powerups work. Super easy. Then cruised through the game on Supreme Difficulty.

The powerup system seemed like a design cheat to avoid having to balance the difficulty properly. Oh well. At least the game looks and sounds amazing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
allegate said:
So, about beating the game on the highest difficulty: do you have to beat each and every level, or just the last one? Because I went through level 7 on that difficulty, beat it, and no trophy.
So I guess you know the answer to that.

Jme

Man, I am really struggling with the backstage maze. My character is a level 12 but I can't seem to stay far enough ahead to not get destroyed during this part.

Roto13

handofg0d said:
Man, I am really struggling with the backstage maze. My character is a level 12 but I can't seem to stay far enough ahead to not get destroyed during this part.
Your level won't increase your stats. You'll need to buy some items that increase your strength, or you'll never make it.

Jme

Roto13 said:
Your level won't increase your stats. You'll need to buy some items that increase your strength, or you'll never make it.

Do items that boost your stats boost them permanently or just for that life? I was under the impression it was the latter so I havent bought anything (saving up to pay off those late fees instead) - if they ARE permanent stat boosts, whats the best one to buy for STR+?

handofg0d said:
Do items that boost your stats boost them permanently or just for that life? I was under the impression it was the latter so I havent bought anything (saving up to pay off those late fees instead) - if they ARE permanent stat boosts, whats the best one to buy for STR+?
They're permanent.

Vanillalite

I got my 1st lock up on Friday on the 360 version. It locked up on the 4th lvl on top of the bus.

Does anyone know how soon Ubi said they'd have a patch out to fix all the glitches?

Glix

RaGe_pt said:
I just played the demo! Man the game is addicting. Am I the only one that loved the music? Makes me want to go out and start jump kicking everyone in the face! :lol

The stage one music is fucking incredible.

MMaRsu

Brettison said:
I got my 1st lock up on Friday on the 360 version. It locked up on the 4th lvl on top of the bus.

Does anyone know how soon Ubi said they'd have a patch out to fix all the glitches?

The game already locked up twice for me, in the first stage. Haven't got past that one yet and I didnt have that problem in the demo.

conman

handofg0d said:
The game does a poor job of explaining how this works, but yeah they're permanent. In the "how to play" menu, it just says that "accessories" permanently boost your stats. But anything that affects your four attributes will permanently change them.

It doesn't really matter which one is "best" since you'll max out all of your stats in almost no time at all. Makes most of those items useless since it's so easy to max your stats. IMO would have been a much better game if they'd taken the time to come up with a better way to do the stat upgrade system and scale the difficulty more appropriately.

Top Bottom