• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

Was thinking about caving on this even without online co-op due to my love of beat em ups so I tried the demo and...

Does anyone else think the hitboxes or w/e I should call them feel weird? Like you have to be right on top of a guy for your combos to be hitting or something. I never missed this much in Street of Rage 2 for example (my favorite beat em up ever). It feels kind of off. I could get past it if the game had online co-op, but now IDK. Not only connecting hits either, picking up weapons and reviving partners feels like you have to be way too "in position" for them to take effect.

Is this as big of an issue as I feel like it will be?

Jintor

What really bugs me with the hit boxes is being on a seperate 'plane' to opponents, but looking like you'd connect. So naturally you punch where you'd think you should, but then you don't do jack...

conman

Net_Wrecker said:
Not only connecting hits either, picking up weapons and reviving partners feels like you have to be way too "in position" for them to take effect.

Is this as big of an issue as I feel like it will be?
This is not a game to be taken very seriously. Lots of sloppy design and mechanics all around. Undeniably beautiful though. Fun for a quick play-through, but don't expect anything deep or demanding or precise.

Mar

Wait, the game has no online co-op? On XBLA too? Goddamn, me and a couple of friends were going to buy this...

Love this game and the soundtrack is so good it might be my favorite part of the game. I was initially frustrated by the sluggish movement speed and general weakness of my character, but once I realized how stats worked, and farmed enough money to pay off my late fees and max out my character/level it up, it totally opened my eyes to it's awesomeness.

A level 16 character with max stats and the Power of Love sword cheat might kill the game for some people, but I absolutely loved ripping through stages in minutes and killing bosses in seconds, it became a game of how fast I could get through the game with each character. Unlocked NegaScott and got my last achievement, so I think I'm done with it but it was great while it lasted. Well worth the $10.

antispin said:
Does this game favour one console over the other? Or are both PS3/360 versions equally good/bad?

I think visually they're identical, and there's no online co-op so no difference there. I'd say it just comes down to d-pad control. I couldn't use the d-pad on the 360 controller so I used the analog stick, but I'd imagine for a game like this it'd be preferable to have a proper d-pad like on the PS3.

Game locked up on me 4-5 times during the course of about 5 playthroughs, but don't know if that problem is exclusive to the 360 version or not.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Played through this with 4 players on a friend's PS3 this weekend, he bought it because he liked the demo. Some freezing and save troubles but all and all it was a blast, specially for me since I was the only Scott Pilgrim fan in the room. Everyone else loved the game and got interested in the comics/movie.

The few endings I've seen are pretty awesome as well, my favorite being (spoilers, I guess) when
Ramona leaves and Scott ends up getting with Kim, Knives, and Envy.
No idea what triggers them, though.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
conman said:
This is not a game to be taken very seriously. Lots of sloppy design and mechanics all around. Undeniably beautiful though. Fun for a quick play-through, but don't expect anything deep or demanding or precise.
Though it should be noted that the "sloppiness" is probably intentional in many cases. It's really a throwback to old school games.

The game just wouldn't feel right if you didn't occasionally start swinging at an enemy only to miss them because they're in a different plane. :D

Danj

Saw the movie on Saturday, really loved it (hadn't heard of Scott Pilgrim before except for trailers for the movie). Today I decided to try the trial version of the game, liked it a lot (despite the fact it's really not the sort of game I'd usually play or even remotely be any good at) so I went out and got some MS points and bought it. I notice you don't get to find out what an item does until after you buy it, is there a crib sheet on the internet somewhere for this? Also what do the various stats that the items affect do?

handofg0d said:
Do items that boost your stats boost them permanently or just for that life? I was under the impression it was the latter so I havent bought anything (saving up to pay off those late fees instead) - if they ARE permanent stat boosts, whats the best one to buy for STR+?
Bionic arm is good for strength boosts

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just wish we knew for sure we were gonna get a patch as soon as it clears cert for Sony and MS in the next week or two. I just have this feeling Ubi is gonna say they are "looking into it" but we won't get anything.

GatorBait

conman said:
You know, I've only played the demo, but this game makes me realize how much I would like to play a 2D/3D side-scrolling beat em up game with a deep fighting/gameplay system. It could have 2D back drops and 3D character models that are made to emulate the 2D look (like many of the fighting games being released nowadays).

A deep fighting combo and weapon system and some sort of leveling up system would be great. I'm thinking sort of a mix between God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, and Streets of Rage. It could be light-hearted and fun with a healthy dose of references and themed levels, but with a deep gameplay system. Sort of the ultimate mix between new and old school style.

I honestly think this game could have come a lot closer to that if they had a longer dev cycle and weren't forced to get the game out to coincide with the movie.

Roto13 said:
Bionic Arm wins the game. :p +50 Strength for like $130 or something, and you can buy it in the first level.
Is it really that OP if you buy a few? when I get to play this at some point i'll try to even my skills out to keep things interesting.

Roto13

Diablohead said:
Is it really that OP if you buy a few? when I get to play this at some point i'll try to even my skills out to keep things interesting.
You can only buy two because your second one maxes out your strength entirely.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh yeah time to admit something. I didn't realize till I got to level 4 that you could dodge roll with the right stick! :lol :lol :lol :lol

OK. Is it just me or this game is fucking hard?! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can't be constantly blocking and expected to clear the stage. When they start punching you, there is nothing you can do about it and tapping O doesn't do jackshit. Even on easy, this game is shit hard and you literally need to kill yourself after you progress to next stage cause you need all the 3 lives that you can use.

What are the cheats for the game so far and which one is worth it?
Also, what items to buy from the shop to help (if in any way)?

Oh and tips? tips? tips? now? NOW!

GatorBait said:
You know, I've only played the demo, but this game makes me realize how much I would like to play a 2D/3D side-scrolling beat em up game with a deep fighting/gameplay system. It could have 2D back drops and 3D character models that are made to emulate the 2D look (like many of the fighting games being released nowadays).

A deep fighting combo and weapon system and some sort of leveling up system would be great. I'm thinking sort of a mix between God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, and Streets of Rage. It could be light-hearted and fun with a healthy dose of references and themed levels, but with a deep gameplay system. Sort of the ultimate mix between new and old school style.

I honestly think this game could have come a lot closer to that if they had a longer dev cycle and weren't forced to get the game out to coincide with the movie.

Guardian Heroes is close but uh....
-Character models are 2D
-Its deepness is overshadowed by its brokedness.

I has about everything else though...even the references(One of the main villains is basically Golden Silver from Gunstar Heroes). Shame it's about one million dollars on ebay these days.

Capcom's AD&D: Shadow Over Mystara is similar but again...2D and super-broken. Only home port is also a million dollars and not even that great.

Honestly though if titles like Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim are any indication the chances of an absolutely class beatemup/hack&slash being released in this day & age are absolutely nil.

There are still more than enough classics to go around however, even if they're lacking RPG elements or whatever.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
shagg_187 said:
OK. Is it just me or this game is fucking hard?! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I can't be constantly blocking and expected to clear the stage. When they start punching you, there is nothing you can do about it and tapping O doesn't do jackshit. Even on easy, this game is shit hard and you literally need to kill yourself after you progress to next stage cause you need all the 3 lives that you can use.

What are the cheats for the game so far and which one is worth it?

Spend your money on stat boosts at the bookstore and nothing else. It's amazing what +10 or +20 speed and strength will do for you.

d1rtn4p

Loving this game so far... Had lost interest in beat-em-ups after the Streets of Rage series. I like the fact that they put a little depth and RPG goodness into the standard fare.

Danj

shagg_187 said:

Did we play a different game or something? Is the 360 version different to the PS3 version? I've been playing the 360 version... I suck at games, so I've been playing it on the lowest difficulty, and it's tricky, and I have had to retry levels a couple of times but it's not really really hard, I've never gotten stuck so bad I've just said "fuck it" and given up. Heck the only reason I stopped playing it is because it seems to really exhaust me for some reason.

shagg_187 said:

I'd definitely like to know what items to be buying from which shops.

Danj said:
Did we play a different game or something? Is the 360 version different to the PS3 version? I've been playing the 360 version... I suck at games, so I've been playing it on the lowest difficulty, and it's tricky, and I have had to retry levels a couple of times but it's not really really hard, I've never gotten stuck so bad I've just said "fuck it" and given up. Heck the only reason I stopped playing it is because it seems to really exhaust me for some reason.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I cannot clear any level without dying and restarting with 3 healths. It always ends with me having 0 lives and tinsy winsy health before I defeat the level boss. On level 4 right now.

And no, I am not using the block button. Useless fucking function since you can't block once you start getting hit and that you don't have time to block cause they are beating you left and right.

That said, I'm loving the game. Wish they toned down the difficulty for easy just a little bit.

shagg_187 said:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I cannot clear any level without dying and restarting with 3 healths. It always ends with me having 0 lives and tinsy winsy health before I defeat the level boss. On level 4 right now.

And no, I am not using the block button. Useless fucking function since you can't block once you start getting hit and that you don't have time to block cause they are beating you left and right.

That said, I'm loving the game. Wish they toned down the difficulty for easy just a little bit.
eat some more food. Once your stats get higher the game is a breeze. Even on the higher difficulty, if you save some money and buy books you can up you offense and defense enough to make it easy.

shagg_187 said:
And no, I am not using the block button. Useless fucking function since you can't block once you start getting hit
shagg, I'm only asking this because I have seen you in fighting game threads, but do you seriously not understand the concept of hitstun?

Veal

Is there ANY chance that this will hit Wiiware? It seems like a missed opportunity for it to not be on the service...

_dementia said:
shagg, I'm only asking this because I have seen you in fighting game threads, but do you seriously not understand the concept of hitstun?
LOL, I do but this is a beat-em-up! I'm not facing MLG pros here! The AI's hitstun is fucking insane and they all surround you! :/

I'm sorry, maybe the fact that I'm used the SOR/FF where you can actually counter a hitstun by using your special move. Last I checked, you can't do that in this game.

shagg_187 said:
I'm sorry, maybe the fact that I'm used the SOR/FF where you can actually counter a hitstun by using your special move. Last I checked, you can't do that in this game.

It's really not any different though. In SoR and especially FF even if you counter every time you get hit you'll eventually die horribly and often.

SP gives you more than enough options to avoid that first punch. Learn to parry, learn to move, hell simply learn to block. If that isn't enough you can just play more aggressively, memorize enemy spawn-points, and consistently jump-kick. The enemies really have no strategy aside from "rush-in and hope to get a combo", "search for weapons to throw", and rarely "shoot stuff". All three types can be locked down easily enough.

Or you could just eat a ton of food/items so that everything you punch dies in 1-2 hits.

Rahk

The bookshop in level one is the best place to upgrade stats. 101 Push ups works out cheaper than bionic arm plus you also get exp.

daycru

Danj said:
Saw the movie on Saturday, really loved it (hadn't heard of Scott Pilgrim before except for trailers for the movie). Today I decided to try the trial version of the game, liked it a lot (despite the fact it's really not the sort of game I'd usually play or even remotely be any good at) so I went out and got some MS points and bought it. I notice you don't get to find out what an item does until after you buy it, is there a crib sheet on the internet somewhere for this? Also what do the various stats that the items affect do?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/961765-scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world/faqs/60744

conman

Monroeski said:
Though it should be noted that the "sloppiness" is probably intentional in many cases. It's really a throwback to old school games.
Boo. That's like saying the lock-ups are intentional, too.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a $10 game, but so much else about this game is so polished (art and sound) that it's a disservice to the overall package to have such an easily "gamed" upgrade system and other assorted wonkiness.

Rather than merely being an entertaining diversion, it could have been a truly memorable experience.

Doorman

I've never been sure about this since I didn't find a satisfactory explanation within the game itself and it's affected how I'm trying to play my solo run--does running out of lives and getting a game over affect your stats or money in any way once you continue? I've been paranoid about quitting out of levels before death just because I've been trying to save up the money for the late fees, and wind up going and buying food to recover when I might not have to be worrying about that after all.

Monroeski said:

That's a load of horse dookie.
The sloppiness comes from SPvTWTG simply being a very poorly-made and rushed game.

Doorman said:
I've never been sure about this since I didn't find a satisfactory explanation within the game itself and it's affected how I'm trying to play my solo run--does running out of lives and getting a game over affect your stats or money in any way once you continue? I've been paranoid about quitting out of levels before death just because I've been trying to save up the money for the late fees, and wind up going and buying food to recover when I might not have to be worrying about that after all.

Naw it really doesn't matter at all. Go crazy and die however many times you like. The only penalty is that you get kicked back to the beginning of the stage.

Nose Master

I think they just ignored a few bugs for a retro feel, but a few of them cause more serious problems than they intended. Also, finally beat the final boss...:
to find out there is a whole level after full of robot assholes. I knew he was too easy. :lol

Jhoan

I got this game yesterday and beat it earlier today. It's pretty damn good for 10 bucks. The game did freeze on me once on the 6th stage. I think XBLA should have more beat-em-ups so that's why I bought it. The game becomes extremely easy once you upgrade your stats and level up and grind stages for cash, especially Wallace's shop's items. I've only read volumes 1 and 2 and a little bit of 3 (although I skipped around it) and quickly skimmed through volume 6 so I'm more or less familiar with most of the characters. I plan on doing another run with Stills and maybe run it again with my maxed out Scott on Hard.

Danj

Oh, I got another question - if you buy a snack "to go", how do you use it later on? Or does it get used automatically somehow?

MNC

Nose Master said:
I think they just ignored a few bugs for a retro feel, but a few of them cause more serious problems than they intended. Also, finally beat the final boss...:
to find out there is a whole level after full of robot assholes. I knew he was too easy. :lol
Tecnobase is friggin awesome :eek:

Rahk

Danj said:
OK, so I guess the thing to do would be to buy the best HP item you can afford "to go", then?
Pretty much. I think one of the things in Mobile's shop in level 6 is the best.

Should i be buying every accessory i can in level 3 over and over again? I cant seem to complete more than a world without a continue.

What increases attack?

Top Bottom