• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

Grayman

you can definitely grind, playing on the hardest setting solo i was max level or one below it by the time i finished stage one. It seems to save progress no matter what you do, don't continue, quit to menu and play zombie, the stats seem to keep up.

Jim

Played some other stuff then loaded it up again and no more audio issues and no crashes following the 3 I had in a row. Odd.

It looks like the characters themselves keep their levels. When I quit and went to play again, they showed my Kim as lvl 16 but everyone else as lvl 1.

Put about an hour or so in. The game is a trip. I'm enjoying it so far but the difficulty is really tough. So far I haven't passed the first stage.

BTW, did you guys find the flying piggy bank room in stage one?
It's right before the snowball fight you have to enter the garage with the star over the door. There is a cat directly to the right of the door. Lots of cash to be had by breaking the flying piggy banks.

Kimosabae

Banned
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Put about an hour or so in. The game is a trip. I'm enjoying it so far but the difficulty is really tough. So far I haven't passed the first stage.

BTW, did you guys find the flying piggy bank room in stage one?
It's right before the snowball fight you have to enter the garage with the star over the door. There is a cat directly to the right of the door. Lots of cash to be had by breaking the flying piggy banks.

I found it. I typically die right after that, because I waste all my blue meter trying to cyclone kick the piggy banks.

FIGHT MONEEEYYY!!

Morris

Disco Devil
This game is SO awesome...

I made a big mistake trying to play on rough & tough on my first playtrough, too hard with a lvl 1 char :lol

Rammy <3

Adam J.

Just played Survival Horror mode for the first time. Wow! I would have paid a tenny just for this. I'd kinda like to see Paul Robertson do a whole zombie beat'em up now.

Jim said:
Anyone else having issues with music dropping out on the map screen, or the game locking when loading some stages?
PS3 slim with a 320GB, and I keep getting both. I also have BG downloads in the queue while trying to play.

Edit: Can't even get past the title screen now... nice.
Yep, Launch 60GB PS3 with 500GB drive here and the map screen music drops out for me too.

Dartastic

gwiz210 said:
There needs to be a rip of all the music in this game ASAP.
I recorded some of it on my iPhone at my friends house... I'll jump in Ableton and try and edit some tomorrow to make it a decent length...

Finally got to Stage 2, I love the Mo-Cap guys. I got to the second ex before dying and quiting for the night.
Fun game, not without it's problems, but if you have any sort nostalgia for old beat em ups it's not a bad way to spend $10.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Beat the first level on medium, got the trophy for the boss.

Fun game, I love all the little touches and throwbacks to classic games.
Crash n The Boys, yeah!

Tough as people said, but I made it through on my first try at least.

Playing with a JOYSTICK really felt good.

EDIT: On a PS3 Slim, never froze on me. Knock on wood.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game is seriously so good, I really love it. In fact I'm pretty sure I like it much better than any other game of this kind, and I played all the genre classics you can name. The graphics and animation are fantastic, I haven't been this impressed by pixel art in a game since probably Metal Slug, and there's many imaginatively placed elements and events to break up the monotony that this kind of games invariably used to suffer from.

I had no glitches in the game in the three or so hours I played it. Everything worked perfectly.

The game is not really difficult at all if you know what you're doing. This is saying something as I absolutely suck at this kind of games, but this is definitely much more approachable and easier than for example Double Dragon or Golden Axe. You can easily combo the moves like grab the enemy, throw it to the ground, slide/kick them while on the ground, grab again etc., and there's alway plenty items to use as a weapon which makes things easier. I found controls to be a breeze, once I figured out that a quick tap on an analog stick makes your character run (I didn't realize this at first, because it's double tap on D-pad). Also, the controls are actually better with analog, as you can just fly all over the place, run diagonally at any angle, and clean up the floor with enemies.

Also, finding the secret shop on the first level really helped make the game even easier. I found out that secret doors have a star on them, so this secret shop wasn't so hard to notice really. In it, an item called "Bionic Arm" attracted my attention, and the description said it gives you huge strength. I played some level two and then went back to level one to get to that shop again, collected just enough money to buy that item, and it's definitely money well spent. Your hit power increase with this item is really large, you can just crush most enemies with ease, and even the level two boss falls down pretty easily now.

Speaking of level two boss, he leaves an item behind, which I'm not sure if I collected or not. How do you pick it up, and how do you check if you have it, and what it does?

An interesting curiosity, the game might be written in Flash. There's copyright notice to Adobe Flash near the end of credits.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:
Speaking of level two boss, he leaves an item behind, which I'm not sure if I collected or not. How do you pick it up, and how do you check if you have it, and what it does?

An interesting curiosity, the game might be written in Flash. There's copyright notice to Adobe Flash near the end of credits.

If you want to get the item, you have to read the comics ;)

I just finished it. Bleh, kinda tired and eyes a little blurry, but it was a fun ride.

spoilers with some guessing?
secret technique two in forest stage. knive's dad is secret assist character. nega scott and knives are the two hidden characters

Got a strong River City Ransom feel to it, which is a freaking great thing. Controls aren't really that tight and can be a bit cumbersome, and I hate how the AI attacks you sometimes. Standing there la-di-da with their back you, you charge into them and turn juuuuuuuuuust turn at the perfect time and attack you. Not to mention when you get to certain parts of a stage and they come barreling towards you, or when you're positioning for a good shot and they run right up to you and start comboing you :p

The PS3 and Xbox controls have plenty of buttons, game could've used more of them instead of tossing in a direction plus a button as it didn't always do what I wanted.

Love everything else though. Music, graphics, core gameplay, etc. Aside from clunky controls, I just wish there was more of everything! :D

BooJoh

Just tried out zombie mode. The zombies are really slow but take a major beating before they go down for good. I gained two levels in about 4 minutes and got to keep the levels for story mode. Not much money drops there though.

MvmntInGrn said:
I need to get one of those Wii usb adaptors, I'd like to use the Classic Controller Pro with this game.
I tried this and didn't have any luck. The CC works on the XMB (although with weird mapping; a = triangle, b = circle, x = x, y = square) but as soon as I load up the game the CC goes dead. I may be doing something wrong, I'm a new PS3 owner, but I've got the adapter in the left USB port and turned off my DS3 before plugging in the CC.

Tiktaalik

Got a few questions:

1. Did anyone else have some weird PS3 profile madness? I'm logged in one account, and when I started up the game it went to a profile select screen I'm guessing to associate a profile with a save or something but the profile I was on wasn't an option. Huh?

2. Is there drop in/drop out local multiplayer or do you have to go back to the start screen? My friend picked up the controller while I was playing and pushed every button on it but nothing happened. I did have my fighting stick plugged in as controller 1 and I was playing as controller 2 so maybe there's a bug there somehow? We ended up quitting the game and starting from the start, where we could select 2 players. It would be a pretty big oversight to not have drop in/out multiplayer considering that arcade games from the 80s had it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kuro Madoushi said:
If you want to get the item, you have to read the comics ;)
Oh crap, I knew this game would have tons of referential treatment in it. I don't know if I want to play the game more now before I read the comics. I only read the first one, so the boss at level 2 already spoiled the second comic a bit. Or maybe I want to see the movie first. One will always spoil the others, argh! :lol

Anyways, love how the Toronto is portrayed in comic as well as in the game, there's really something about it.

Foob

ive only just played the first stage, but holy shit this is the best game ive played all year

the music and the fucking amazing snow scene right from the book captures the exact same feeling i had the first time i read it

Adam J.

This may or may not be a spoiler (pertaining to the second level) to film geeks, so I'll stay on the side of caution.

Is it safe to assume that the director in the second level is Edgar Wright? It looks just like him.

Tiktaalik

So is this the first true Cancon ("Canadian content" for you non-Canucks) video game?

(I think it was actually made in Ubisoft Shanghai though?)

edit: Looks like Ubisoft Chengdu and Ubisoft Montreal collab.

robut said:
Maybe mentioned but:

the dogs sound just like the ones in Earthworm Jim

the train sound is right out of FF6's Phantom Train

Also thought when you hit the fatter dudes in the tummy that is sounds like it was ripped from King Hippo.

Dartastic

I don't know how smart it will be for me to post the soundtrack tomorrow. I've listened to most of it, and it's full of punching sound effects. :p

JMizzlin

Dartastic said:
I don't know how smart it will be for me to post the soundtrack tomorrow. I've listened to most of it, and it's full of punching sound effects. :p

It's been ripped?

My inbox would love a link, please :D

AdamMPSP

I'm loving the game so far. I can only play a full level or two at a time without my hand going out from carpal tunnel, but it's great fun. As a longtime fan of the comics, it is probably more faithful to the source material than the movie.

I have had no glitches or locking up.

I got stuck on the third level, died at the third evil-ex twice, but by investing in items from the store, I was able to beat him on my first try. I'm playing as Scott. Love the level progression. For those of you who say that the moves should be unlocked at the beginning, it just makes reaching the higher levels that much more satisfying.

Looking forward to trying out Rammy after I beat it with Scott. Might duck out of this thread soon so that secret characters and other bonuses aren't spoiled for me.

Enjoy this game, people. It was clearly made with us in mind.

Dartastic

Eye Drop said:
It's been ripped?

My inbox would love a link, please :D

It hasn't been ripped, I just went and played up to stage 4 at my friends house and recorded what I played up to. It'll require me editing the files and whatnot tomorrow, and I don't mind doing that at ALL, but it'll sound kinda shitty because it was us playing the game. Hence, lots of "thwack" sound effects. I've heard most of it in a clear form too, and I REALLY want it. I just hope for an official release soon, because the soundtrack is super awesome. =(

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Ok... I was a little weary of getting this game at first after reading some of these gaf responses... But this game is so much fun -I actually find it easy, at least the first level. I got past the first level and mid second level without spending any money to level up, or using any continues...

It's weird though, this game makes me want to go back and play river city ransom. Anyways, great game, tons of fun, and if you grew up playing classic beat 'em ups you'll love this.

That is all.

Aeana

I just barely managed to scrape by the first level. I like the game, but it really is kind of tough playing solo. I expect it will become more manageable as I increase my stats, though.

Is it spoiler territory to mention the exes by name in this thread? I defeated the second ex last night, made it to stage three and stopped for the night.

Sometimes I just leave the main menu on because I love that main theme. :lol

hamchan

Gooster said:
Is it spoiler territory to mention the exes by name in this thread?

I'd say no, their names spoil nothing.

Also, I figured out jumping is pretty awesome. Avoided a lot of damage by jumping more.

MrBeggar

The best part of the game for me is walking under the Dupont Street bridge up to Davenport and Hillcrest Park.
Which is the way i walk home EVERYDAY :D

LALILULELO

Neo Member
Is there a way to get up sooner after getting knocked down.?
I mash all the buttons but it takes ages to get up from the ground.

Top Bottom