• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

Eccocid

hey how long does it take to finish the game?
ME and my mate looking for a 2 player couch game would it satisfy us for few days?
Or is it like max 1 hour ride?

SaitoH

Eccocid said:
hey how long does it take to finish the game?
ME and my mate looking for a 2 player couch game would it satisfy us for few days?
Or is it like max 1 hour ride?

Getting to the level 3 boss took me over 2 hours. This game seems like it will be surprisingly long.

SaitoH said:
Getting to the level 3 boss took me over 2 hours. This game seems like it will be surprisingly long.

Although the game doesn't scale with more players as far as I know. Still, it should take more than one hour with multiple players. Probably 3 - 4 hours with two. There's also Survival Horror mode - DUR DUR DURRR, two more characters to unlock and I have a feeling there are secret areas/more gametypes available too.

Aeana

I beefed up my stats, and now it feels much more balanced. Not too easy, but I'm not constantly dying anymore either. Yay. Beat the third ex.

Aeana said:
I beefed up my stats, and now it feels much more balanced. Not too easy, but I'm not constantly dying anymore either. Yay. Beat the third ex.

Yeah, once I got to around Level 11-12 with Scott the gameplay really started to click for me. I'll level up the rest through multiple playthroughs. It's definitely a game I can always go back to for the hell of it.

Still go to figure out how to unlock the other two characters.

epmode said:
Same. God forbid they delay the game until after the movie releases. Such a wasted opportunity.

Online Coop DLC or Update? Tomb Raider will get an online update, Tekken got one. So it isnt impossible.

Ramune

Does this game work with the Saturn USB controllers? Got two of them and I feel that would REALLY help with the old school feeling this game will likely give off!

Probably plug in a TE Joystick as well! Can't wait to get out of work!!! :lol

Pietepiet

It just got put up in the Euro store, guys :)
Weird download though. I bought the full game, was only a 6KB download, then had to go to my download overview list and there was another download sitting there which was the actual game.

Pietepiet said:
It just got put up in the Euro store, guys :)
Weird download though. I bought the full game, was only a 6KB download, then had to go to my download overview list and there was another download sitting there which was the actual game.
one is key. the full game is the "demo". makes it easier to make a trial of the game by locking the full game to certain parts of the game or at least they can program for a timed trial? i think that would be the way to go ^_^

Princess Skittles said:
Is the game good for someone that doesn't like Scott Pilgrim?

Does it stand on its own without all the overt references?

You'll enjoy it just fine. There are some things that may fly over your head but it won't ruin the experience.

Danielsan

Downloaded the demo.
Absolutely love the pixel art and I'm a huge Scott Pilgrim fan, but the gameplay just seems janky and not enjoyable.
Probably a ton more fun when played with a friend, but yeah, I'm afraid I'll be skipping this.

Princess Skittles said:

Do you not like Scott Pilgrim or are you not familiar with Scott Pilgrim?

Personally, I'm not too familiar with the Scott Pilgrim universe. I've read about the premise and seen the trailer for the film but that's about it. I still enjoyed the game.

On a side note I ordered the books yesterday in anticipation for the movie.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Danielsan said:
Downloaded the demo.
Absolutely love the pixel art and I'm a huge Scott Pilgrim fan, but the gameplay just seems janky and not enjoyable.
Probably a ton more fun when played with a friend, but yeah, I'm afraid I'll be skipping this.
Game feels a lot better once you've leveled up a good bit.

Playing on a good arcade stick also seems to help. :D

I like the style and appreciate the old-school gameplay, but there's something to be said for 'track' based beat-em-up's (where you can move freely forward and backwards, but can only move up and down between 3 or more different plains) - the fact that you have total freedom of movement means I spent a TON of time hitting thin air, because I wasn't aligned exactly in front of my enemy, which was an annoyance back in the genres heyday and not something I'd expect or want to see replicated in 2010. This becomes especially annoying later in the game when you are confronted with flying enemies. Also, the countering system is pretty damn frustrating because many enemies have little or no animation to telegraph their attack, so I found it near impossible to anticipate and counter. Other than that, it seems like a pretty fun beat-em-up, and as I said, I love the style and there seems to be a good bit of depth.

Game plays, feels and looks fantastic. Moves are responsive and a lot of fun, satisfying guys to beat up and inventive hazards in the levels. And I'm only on level 2. Well done!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
LALILULELO said:
Is there a way to get up sooner after getting knocked down.?
I mash all the buttons but it takes ages to get up from the ground.

there's a skill that allows you to sort of 'recover' mid air after being attacked.

AFAIK, there ARE more enemies when you have more people. Played with my wife and I definitely noticed more baddies on-screen...didn't help she kept attacking me as well :p

I think it's maybe a 5-8 hour game if you want to do other stuff and level up your character.

If you spend a bit of time in the beginning grinding a bit, the rest of the game is much more enjoyable and a bit easier.

Blutonium

What the ****

PSN purchase virgin here:

I just bought the Scott Pilgrim game, and downloaded it (it was 6kb, my first wtf), and it's nowhere in my games list. When I visit the PSN shop it has a red PSN icon on the thumbnail (does that mean it's downloading? because it's not in my active downloads)

Re-downloading via the download history doesn't work either. Help me GAF!

krazen

Blutonium said:
What the ****

I just bought the Scott Pilgrim game, and downloaded it (it was 6kb, my first wtf), and it's nowhere in my games list. When I visit the PSN shop it has a red PSN icon on the thumbnail (does that mean it's downloading? because it's not in my active downloads)

Gotta download the demo AND the unlock key. You just downloaded the unlock key.

Jomjom

Banned
Blutonium said:
What the ****

What you downloaded was only the unlock key. Go and download the demo as well. Should be around 170MB. The unlock key makes the demo into the full game. Damn beaten haha.

After beating the first level I have to say I love this game. I was surprised that the first time I played it I beat the first evil ex without losing a life on hard for the trophy. Game was a lot easier than I was expecting.

Mrbob

Weird. Do you just download an activation file instead of the game?

I wonder if you download the demo the activation file unlocks the full game? I dunno why developers still do this. So stupid. And lazy.

Princess Skittles said:

If you're a fan of beat-em-ups but not a fan of SP, I'd definitely skip it.

Replicant

I love this game. Started playing as Stephen Stills when he didn't have any special moves. Now I can juggle lighter opponent (like the dogs) up in the air. I also managed to earn quite a lot of money to buy a few things. I wished I knew Patel's movement pattern way in advance so I knew how to defeat him easily without losing lives but oh well, next time.

And yeah, the game is long. I spent at least 2 hours just on the first level. It's kind of difficult on the medium difficulty.

hamchan

Princess Skittles said:

If you actively dislike a property you should avoid any games based on it.

Anyways I'm loving this game. Combat feels great now that I've figured out the controls.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mrbob said:
Weird. Do you just download an activation file instead of the game?

I wonder if you download the demo the activation file unlocks the full game? I dunno why developers still do this. So stupid. And lazy.
It doesn't affect those who buy the game in any way, and it's easier for those who try the game and decide to buy it afterwards.

It sucks for those who try the game and don't buy the complete version, but then again, why should they care about those who don't give them money?

Danielsan said:
Downloaded the demo.
Yeah, it does take its time to get into the groove as I kinda felt the same way when I started on medium, but like everyone mentioned, once you level up a bit and unlock 4 moves, things really start to get into the groove and the fun factor outweighs the negatives.

Anyway, beat the game last night on medium with Kim. Loved the entire last stage
with goddam Super Shredder/Gideon, Kefka Gideon, the freaking technodrome with mousers and lasers, and his Dr. Wily-esque reveal at the end
. I also loved Kim's ending. Of course! :lol

Started up Supreme Master with Scott and man, I was really surprised I blew threw level 1 with such a limited moveset after coming off of a level 16 Kim. Soooooo good. :D

And holy shit at the ending credits... soooooooooo long and unskippable. :lol

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Hmm.

Really cool game. Love the presentation. The sprite work is phenomenal of course and the stage designs are detailed and beautiful.

But single player feels...empty. Every cool section or group of enemies I get to - I can't shake this feeling that I wish I had someone else to play with me. As if they designed the entire game assuming nobody would ever play alone.

Not so sure I like the fighting "engine" yet. Feels sloppy and sluggish at times. It feels like it needed a little more tweaking time. Probably a premature opinion...will finish the game with a friend.

nickrempe

Neo Member
Played this for about an hour last night with my wife and we both think it is amazing. Once I told her it was like NES Double Dragon beat 'em up style, she was interested, but the music really hooked her in. The pixel animation and art is amazing too.

Good work.

140.85 said:
Not so sure I like the fighting "engine" yet. Feels sloppy and sluggish at times. It feels like it needed a little more tweaking time. Probably a premature opinion...will finish the game with a friend.
Again, the moveset should've been unlocked from the get-go (or at least the first couple of moves) because the fighting feels much better when you can do more than just the typical light, light, light, hard combo for example.

I also think the first level is way too long and deters people from getting a sense of accomplishment when they're getting rocked initially.

And for maximum nostalgia, I flipped turbo on my HRAP3. Works wonderfully. :lol

hamchan said:

Anyways I'm loving this game. Combat feels great now that I've figured out the controls.

To be fair, I don't care for Scott Pilgrim, myself, but the game is actually a lot of fun, so I'll likely be getting it this weekend.

Kimosabae

Banned
As others have stated, if the game feels clunky at first - stick with it. Once you start leveling up, the game feels much more fluid and faster paced. I don't agree with having all the moves unlocked at the start, but you should definitely be equipped with more than what you start with.

Played some more today and got into it more than yesterday. Got to the first boss though I died cause of those shitty flying things kept attacking me. So I had to start again... needless to say I don't have the patience to begin again from the start. A nice checkpoint wouldn't have gone amiss.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
hamchan said:
I could distance myself from my dislike of the comics and all if the game was a solid River City clone.

Opinions seem rather mixed though, good thing all XBLA games have demos.

Katana_Strikes said:
Played some more today and got into it more than yesterday. Got to the first boss though I died cause of those shitty flying things kept attacking me. So I had to start again... needless to say I don't have the patience to begin again from the start. A nice checkpoint wouldn't have gone amiss.
Those things are pretty easy to dodge. If it's the second part where the succubus' are throwing fireballs, I just move to the bottom of the screen and fight Patel there, completely out of harm's way.

donkey show said:
Those things are pretty easy to dodge. If it's the second part where the succubus' are throwing fireballs, I just move to the bottom of the screen and fight Patel there, completely out of harm's way.

Yeah thats the ones I mean, I was really low on health but I just kept getting caught off them.

After putting some time into the game, I do agree that the game becomes better once you start to level up more and it feels better and not so overbearing. I'm still grinding with Scott to pay his late fees at the video store. From what I've heard it's well worth the effort and the Level Ups don't hurt either. And the game does give you the subtle hint to grind out in Level 1 until you're ready to tackle everything else ahead. And Scott = Kunio. If you don't believe me then look at his moves and think about it for a second.

Spayro said:
Anyone want a code for the Sex Bob-omb avatar shirt thing?

I'll take it if nobody else has yet.

Baha

[EDIT] False Alarm, apparently the late fees are waived after paying them, they just show up until you talk to the store clerk.

Jenga

Banned
_dementia said:
If you're a fan of beat-em-ups but not a fan of SP, I'd definitely skip it.
yeah, this

I played it for a bit on my roomie's console. didn't care for it all.

of course hating SP influenced it greatly, but whatever

Top Bottom