• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game |OT| -- Seven Exes and Tons of KOs

anddo0

_dementia said:
If you're a fan of beat-em-ups but not a fan of SP, I'd definitely skip it.

I don't follow SP, but yet I find this game enjoyable. I guess it depends on the individual.

Pancho said:
:lol Just noticed there's the angry sun from SMB3 Inside the Mini mart on stage 1.
There's so many little homages to random video games all over the place. Like I mentioned before, the little wolverines in stage 6 do the same exact fierce attack as Wolverine in the Marvel VS series. :lol

And stage 7 is pure win in that sense. Homage overload!

The 2nd Ex can go fuck himself with that skateboard attack. Played the level 4 times and couldnt beat him.

I thought he was the easiest. I took one of the light stands and just proceeded to smash the shit out of him, never getting hit. Never fails. :lol

oracrest

_dementia said:
If you're a fan of beat-em-ups but not a fan of SP, I'd definitely skip it.

I couldn't disagree more :D

I don't know anything at all about Scott Pilgrim, and the game itself is a total blast. Lots of nods and throwbacks to beat-em-ups of the past (and games in general), and the character have tons of personality, even though I don't know their story backgrounds.

It's one of the best beat-em-us I have played in years. Lots of potential for good combo strings, and the difficulty and ability to get better at the fighting system is great. the art style is great.

Great, great, great!

ezekial45 said:
How many striker characters are there? Theres a trophy that says you have yo use all of them
I'm not too sure, but you need to defeat Mr. Chau (the matrix looking dude on the map) in order to complete the set. He'll come out randomly instead of Knives at times when you press L1.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
oracrest said:
I couldn't disagree more :D

I don't know anything at all about Scott Pilgrim
That's not the same as actively disliking it though, which "not a fan" equates to in Skittles' case.

Agate

Neo Member
Friggin loving this game!!!

Currently on Stage 4..which is challenging but I think I can get it!! one question though..is there anything behind Scott's late fees @ the video store?? XD (504.25)

Also..dunno if you guys came across it or not..but there is secret shop in the tunnel of stage 1!

Pancho

Qurupancho
Shit! this game's great! Got my ass handed to me against stage's 3 boss though.

Edit: Damn! Some of the trophies are insane!!:lol :lol
Getting through a level without getting hit? Fuck that.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, I don't know what the hell Dementia's talking about. Never heard of SP before this game, and I love it.

Typically I disregard subjectivity, but in this case, I firmly suggest those that claim not to have a taste for the game, play long enough to open up the move list. I ask you to consider this because I nearly dismissed the game early, also. It really becomes a different game.

This is an undeniably quality beat em' up (with faults). If the game piqued your interest, for whatever reason, there's little to not like and even less to reject here.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Kimosabae said:
Yeah, I don't know what the hell Dementia's talking about. Never heard of SP before this game, and I love it.
Again, he didn't say "not a fan" to refer to people who aren't fans because they don't know the material. He's responding to Skittles who specifically stated a dislike for the source material, so "not a fan" referring to "actively dislikes."

daegan

Is there a better snack to carry than Energy Drink? Getting Hyper after almost dying is pretty great. :D

Also this game is a lot harder on your own. :eek:

Baha

Pancho said:
Shit! this game's great! Got my ass handed to me against stage's 3 boss though.

Edit: Damn! Some of the trophies are insane!!:lol :lol
Getting through a level without getting hit? Fuck that.

I think the shopping district is an easy level for that trophy unless they want you to beat the 1st level as well.

Baha said:
I think the shopping district is an easy level for that trophy unless they want you to beat the 1st level as well.
It's the whole level. And Kim's ultimate attack makes that trophy easier to do since it's a projectile. :D

bestami

Played this game for a bit. I don't like it :(. I've beaten one boss guy and played some of the second stage and died. Maybe i don't like this genre anymore i don't know. Gonna try to play some more tho.

How do you use items? I bought a coffee to go, but I couldn't seem to select it in the pause menu and when I started level 2 it was gone. Does it use itself automatically when needed (ie dying) or do they just not carry over between stages?

I tried this out last night. I love the graphics and music, and I like these kinds of beat-em-ups. However, this game is boring. Based on the demo, the levels are entirely too long and you fight way too many of the same guys before you hit the boss. It seems very padded for length, and games of this type are usually quite short. They probably were worried about people complaining about the length/cost ratio and padded the hell out of it but it hurts the game more than it helps, IMO.

MrMephistoX

Pretty awesome game. I'd be willing to bet exclusivity was secured at the expense of online coop. Hopefully this will be patched in when the 360 version arrives.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I tried this out last night. I love the graphics and music, and I like these kinds of beat-em-ups. However, this game is boring. Based on the demo, the levels are entirely too long and you fight way too many of the same guys before you hit the boss. It seems very padded for length, and games of this type are usually quite short. They probably were worried about people complaining about the length/cost ratio and padded the hell out of it but it hurts the game more than it helps, IMO.
Haha, almost mirrors exactly what I said about it earlier... in regards to the first level.

donkey show said:
I also think the first level is way too long and deters people from getting a sense of accomplishment when they're getting rocked initially.

All the other levels scale just fine and don't have the same length/variety problem as level 1. Really retarded pacing to start the game, so it hurts it more than helps as the rest of it is just right. You want to ease players into something like this versus have them grind out from the get go.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Dr. Zoidberg said:

Really... What are you expecting from the first level...? I swear, people these days. It's sad enough most of Gaf thinks this game is hard.

Game gets better and better as you level up, and get further in the game. How hard is that to understand? Please wanting every move available from the outset don't get this game.

Chao

I must be dumb or something, but when I downloaded the game from the store it was a 6kb file. Do I have to download both the demo and the 6 kb file to unlock it or how the hell does this work?

Chao said:
I must be dumb or something, but when I downloaded the game from the store it was a 6kb file. Do I have to download both the demo and the 6 kb file to unlock it or how the hell does this work?

Yes.

ezekial45

Banned
donkey show said:
I'm not too sure, but you need to defeat Mr. Chau (the matrix looking dude on the map) in order to complete the set. He'll come out randomly instead of Knives at times when you press L1.

Wow, where is this guy at? I'm on stage 5 now.

Volcynika

MrMephistoX said:
Pretty awesome game. I'd be willing to bet exclusivity was secured at the expense of online coop. Hopefully this will be patched in when the 360 version arrives.

A big part of the reason it didn't hit XBLA the same day was due to it not being in the Summer of Arcade. And no mention of online co-op being patched in later has been mentioned, to the best of my knowledge.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Host Samurai said:
The 2nd Ex can go fuck himself with that skateboard attack. Played the level 4 times and couldnt beat him.
Just buy bionic arm. You can KO him in probably 20-30 seconds when you have that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Here's why this game leaves a bad first impression: it looks like classic arcade brawler, but it actually has a wide-range level up system. You play through the first level and it feels like a broken Streets of Rage.. because you're beating random thugs to burger and they don't go down fast enough.

But that's because you're underleveled. You may expect a fast, action packed first level if you're thinking of it as a brawler... But when RPG rules are followed, the first level, for better or worse, you are actually underpowered and you need to grind for levels and money.

The upside to that is that the rest of the game proper has depth... The downside is that the demo may underwhelm people. It makes the game appear to be an unbalanced Final Fight... But the game is really River City Ransom with heavy RPG elements.

BocoDragon said:
Here's why this game leaves a bad first impression: it looks like classic arcade brawler, but it actually has a wide-range level up system. You play through the first level and it feels like a broken Streets of Rage.. because you're beating random thugs to burger and they don't go down fast enough.

But that's because you're underleveled. You may expect a fast, action packed first level if you're thinking of it as a brawler... But when RPG rules are followed, the first level, for better or worse, you are actually underpowered and you need to grind for levels and money.

The upside to that is that the rest of the game proper has depth... The downside is that the demo may underwhelm people. It makes the game appear to be an unbalanced Final Fight... But the game is really River City Ransom with heavy RPG elements.

They should start you with a level 6-10 character in the demo to give you a better feel for what the game quickly becomes. I was up to level 10 after a couple of hours.

JudgeN

Love the game but I have to admit, this game would have been AMAZING with online coop, truly a missed opportunity IMO. O well maybe I can get my wife to play with me :lol

acevans2

The difficulty is outrageous. I played for 30 minutes and didn't beat the first level, and I couldn't find any way to save my experience progress. Had to quit so it was all a waste. Kind of fun game, but fuck off. I don't know when I want to go back now.

daegan said:
Is there a better snack to carry than Energy Drink? Getting Hyper after almost dying is pretty great. :D

I don't think so. +64 to Heart and +16 Guts and is a steal for $2.95 and the Hyper Mode bonus isn't bad either for a snack.

I just finished paying off Scott's Late Fees and the $504.25 is well worth it. I would suggest grinding it out because the investment does pay. I won't spoil how but it comes recommended from me. If you're looking for stat boosts I suggest staying the hell away from Wallace's Mystery Shop. The money you save could be better well spent on stacking boosts for cheaper anyway. I suggest Shock Wave Records or Flatirons Books. Those are great boosts for cheap until you pay the late fees. I might get around to later on making a shop list for reference because I'm so in love with the game right now.

YES> beat Stage 1 on hard finally :lol.

It's weird that it won't show what the stat of the items is until you buy it. but then again they put everything in order but still. i need to have at least some sort of hint to know what i'm buying.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
acevans2 said:
The difficulty is outrageous. I played for 30 minutes and didn't beat the first level, and I couldn't find any way to save my experience progress. Had to quit so it was all a waste. Kind of fun game, but fuck off. I don't know when I want to go back now.
It saves your character level and money, so you can keep going back to stage 1 with the same character and it'll get easier and easier. Also, when you beat a level, when you return as that character the level will remain beaten.

This game has RPG elements, remember. You need to grind... or to look at it another way, the more you play, the easier you'll find it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How on earth can anyone find this game to be difficult? It defaults to the easiest level, which really is not that difficult at all. Pretty much every classic from this genre is significantly more difficult than this game is, and the controls here are much better as well.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I don't think the levels were very long. Second one is shorter and more varied than first level, but I found myself replaying 1st level twice because *gasp* the game is fun to play.

Lord Error said:
I don't think the levels were very long. Second one is shorter and more varied than first level, but I found myself replaying 1st level twice because *gasp* the game is fun to play.
I think considering it's a downloadable game, there are high expectations for it to deliver right off the bat and the first level doesn't necessarily construe that train of thought.

I'm not complaining though since I'm on my second playthrough on hard now. I'm a grinder by (gaming) nature so the first stage was very exciting when I finally got to the row of shops. :D

Anywho, I want to know what GAF's opinion is about the last stage. Awesome or FUCKING AWESOME? :lol

Top Bottom