• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Unlimited |OT| Unleash your inner copyright infringement

ejHTC.png

Developer: 5TH Cell
Publisher: Warner Brothers Entertainment

Genre: Puzzle/Platformer
Platforms: Wii U | PC (Steam) | 3DS
Price: $60 | $30 | $40
North American Release: Out Now!
Australian Release November 28th
European Release:
p6tXS.png

KJRpv.png

--> Scribblenauts! What more needs to be said?
Well, actually, probably a lot! After the lukewarm reception of the original "Draw Anything, Solve Everything", the sequel, Super Scribblenauts, introduced adjectives and cleaned up a lot of design goofs. Scribblenauts Unlimited approaches the playing field with a far more stable reputation, and as a result is no longer required to prove itself competent. Instead, Unlimited decides to aim for the fences

MruMh.png

--> Welcome to Next Gen?
Scribblenauts' distinctive art style looks downright incredible when blown up to HD proportions. Both the Wii U and PC versions have beautiful, vibrant backdrops and awesome sprite/model work. Everything runs silky smooth and boy does it look pretty

NsDsu.png

--> Is [_________] in the game? It is now.
No need to worry about whether an object is in the game or not - if it's missing, simply create it yourself with the Object Editor. It's surprisingly robust, allowing you to create original objects or ape existing ones. User-generated content, baby!

This feature is only available via the Wii U and Steam versions. You can share your creations for the world to see (via the Miiverse or Steam Workshop), and you can download any abomination you find and use it immediately.

3BUwE.png

--> Yeah, but what about the gameplay?
Gone are the traditional levels of the previous games, replaced instead by an open world map populated with people best described as quest givers. There are 3 ways to earn the 60-odd Starites now:
  • Full starites, via involved, multi-objective levels on par with the longer levels from Super Scribblenauts
  • Starite shards, for solving minor problems for characters around the world
  • You can also earn shards through a psuedo-achievement system by making or interacting with certain objects

c5GeX.png

--> Yeah, but what about the dumb nonsensical fun?
Happily intact! Each world that houses the levels can also serve as giant playgrounds - screw around, spawn some monsters, drop a nuke and start all over again. Somehow the game is stuffed even more with references, memes, and easter eggs. It's a game best enjoyed by not taking it very seriously.

Combined with the object editor, the puzzles become almost a secondary feature compared to just screwing around.

ilKg6.png

--> Version differences?
3 different versions, 3 different games. Aside from price and platform, here's what you can expect out of each:
  • Steam: Has the Object Editor and shares creations via the Steam Workshop. Controlled via the keyboard.
  • Wii U: Has the Object Editor and shares creations via Miiverse. Also has cameos by various Nintendo characters from the Mario and Zelda games. Supports Gamepad-only play
  • 3DS: 3D-enabled and has a level editor. You can share levels via StreetPass as well.

oj8xK.png

--> Reviews

GAMERG0D

Still not sure if I should get this on PC or Wii U. I mean yeah Wii U has the Nintendo characters but Steam Workshop...

aett

Bought the 3DS version for my wife (the kind of person who only plays iOS games, electronic sudoku, and Animal Crossing) last week because she loved the first two. She got to the end credits less than a day later and beat the rest of the missions a couple of days after that. Just a heads up to wait for a sale if you really want the 3DS version (I'm sure that the creation mode would add a lot more playtime for the other versions).

Drago

Still not sure if I should get this on PC or Wii U. I mean yeah Wii U has the Nintendo characters but Steam Workshop...

PC. It's $30 cheaper!

I have the WiiU version and it's really great. I assume that the two games are identical, Nintendo characters and multiplayer aside. Nothing that's really worth the extra $30 to get the WiiU version (though I only paid $40). Get it!

bender

What time is it?
PC. It's $30 cheaper!

I have the WiiU version and it's really great. I assume that the two games are identical, Nintendo characters and multiplayer aside. Nothing that's really worth the extra $30 to get the WiiU version (though I only paid $40). Get it!

Not that it compares to the PC version price but Amazon still offers the game for $49.99 Wii U version. The main draw of the Wii U version for me is to have a game that takes advantage of remote play via the tablet.

I really want to try this game but I have a feeling I'm going to hate it. I've only tried a bit of the DS version and didn't have a good time. It looks so charming though!

The Destructoid score isn't very promising. Actually, I read the review too, and it scares me.

Worth $60? MiiVerse people seem to think so, but.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh and here the Level editor
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109290327&searchtext=

Dont know if this work as I do not have the game yet.
That's a troll thing, you can place a "level editor" ingame without downloading anything, but all it does is display a little level icon when you turn it on. I think spawning a "computer" does the same thing.

I like the PC version so far. Downsides include limitations on the object editor, no level editor, limited ways to solve puzzles, possibly no action levels, and the WASD keys can't be used to climb ladders.

Upsides include HD resolution, Steamworks for sharing creations, decent configurable WASD + mouse controls, typing words, and cheaper price. :)

Speevy

Banned
I honestly have no idea, but the publisher probably figures launch fever is gonna carry this game no matter what it costs.

BooJoh

I don't know how many people are playing this, but I'm having issues with a custom object and wondering if anyone can help. I used a "child" as a base just because the size was right, but now I can get my object to either attack everything, or only non-player humans. I can't figure out how to get it to attack the player as well as other humans. I've tried telling it to attack "Maxwell," "player," "avatar," nothing seems to work unless I just make it get angry when it sees anything, and then it'll attack anything that's alive.

I just downloaded a crop of Steam Workshop items. Below you can find some real hard hitting reviews journalism

Tank
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109231236&searchtext=

Poor quality. Way too small. Good in theory

Sentry Gun
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109197814&searchtext=

Eh. Decent. Works as advertised

Waspthrower
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109215003&searchtext=

10/10. Shoots wasps. Has a wasp head on the gun itself. I tried to fire it in water and was electrocuted. good purchase.

Gotta Go Fast
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109206736&searchtext=

You can ride him around. Somehow this solved the "entertain this kid" puzzle in the city, so that's pretty cool. a+++

Pregnancy Device
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=109289571&searchtext=

Video Games can now be defined as art

J2bpU.png

Blizzard

Banned
As a reminder to people submitting items: Ingame, you have to use uppercase letters and I think no punctuation. After you submit, however, you can edit the description in Steam Workshop to look better.

Based off the runaway success that is the Pregnancy Device, I created a gun that makes your enemies pregnant, obsese, slow, and cannibalistic. After giving birth they eat their own kid.

I also created a version of the gun that makes the person poisonous as well. When they give birth their kids inherit their adjectives. Upon eating their offspring they are then poisoned

this is games

Drago

Based off the runaway success that is the Pregnancy Device, I created a gun that makes your enemies pregnant, obsese, slow, and cannibalistic. After giving birth they eat their own kid.

I also created a version of the gun that makes the person poisonous as well. When they give birth their kids inherit their adjectives. Upon eating their offspring they are then poisoned

this is games

I really need to get into the object editor.

Is there a tutorial for it anywhere? I tried to do something with it but it confuses me a lot. :(

(I'm assuming WiiU and PC object editors are the same)

Blizzard

Banned
I really need to get into the object editor.

Is there a tutorial for it anywhere? I tried to do something with it but it confuses me a lot. :(

(I'm assuming WiiU and PC object editors are the same)
I don't know of one, and I think it just takes experimentation. There are tooltips, but somewhat counterintuitively, you have to click the question mark button and then click buttons to actually see the tooltips. Just post here if you have a question, and we'll figure it out together I guess!

Blizzard

Banned
In checking items that were in previous versions, I'm seeing some differences. I haven't found items that were used to make the old action puzzles, so maybe those mechanics were completely removed?

Also, I have only gone through like two areas in Scribblenauts Unlimited. Are there any areas where the old jackhammer/digging mechanics exist, or was terrain destruction removed? I'm guessing that's the case, and maybe it's for the best, but I almost miss digging through sand now that I have new controls at my disposal.

I think there are no more Feep dinosaur adventures, though Feep is in the game...but everyone should still try spawning a time machine. It only seems to do one thing, but the music is great. :)

BooJoh

everyone should still try spawning a time machine. It only seems to do one thing, but the music is great. :)

Also worth checking out:
Night Vision Goggles, Thermal Goggles, Three D Glasses

I made a Minecraft Creeper. It's afraid of cats and gets angry, hisses, then explodes on people. I'd post a pic but I'm on the WiiU version.

Does the PC version have any sort of cross-compatibility with WiiU by sharing custom objects through Punctuation Plaza or is it completely integrated into Steam only?

Plasma

Banned
I live in the UK if I imported the Australian version do you think it would work, they're PAL as well right?

I live in the UK if I imported the Australian version do you think it would work, they're PAL as well right?

I'm pretty sure US would work also. I don't think it's region locked.

I bought it for one guy already (after he paypal'd me) and would be happy to do it again if anyone is interested.

Thanks for buying it for me, you are a trustworthy person. Now I can finally enjoy this game.

Plasma

Banned
I'm pretty sure US would work also. I don't think it's region locked.

I bought it for one guy already (after he paypal'd me) and would be happy to do it again if anyone is interested.

Ah sorry I should have specified that I'm after the Wii U version, thanks for the offer though.

Ferrio

Banned
Tried to make voltron, not sure how you interact with the animation boxes.. You can't spawn new ones can you?

Is it possible for me (EU Wii-U incoming) to buy an Aussie version of the game and play it?
The game seems to be awesome but waiting for an EU version will be too long..; why don't they at least sell the English version first?

Top Bottom