• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Unlimited |OT| Unleash your inner copyright infringement

Chû Totoro;44658760 said:
Is it possible for me (EU Wii-U incoming) to buy an Aussie version of the game and play it?
The game seems to be awesome but waiting for an EU version will be too long..; why don't they at least sell the English version first?

The EU delay is completed unrelated to localisation issues. Quote from this very site:

"[The delay is] due to stuff I can't talk about until 2013," creative director Jeremiah Slaczka told NeoGAF. "Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts were released NA and EU the same day. Trust me. I want your money. It's due to things outside of development."

Blizzard

Banned
Tried to make voltron, not sure how you interact with the animation boxes.. You can't spawn new ones can you?
You can spawn objects, and/or have objects and parts of objects attached to a main object. You can also have objects hanging from objects. Using the stamp thing would probably be the easiest way to glue something together.

Untitled.png

Region locking is so unfair :(

I can't believe on the 3DS all the action takes place on the lower (2D) screen. I was all excited about the game until I learned about that and I don't really understand why it had to be that way.

Ferrio

Banned
You can spawn objects, and/or have objects and parts of objects attached to a main object. You can also have objects hanging from objects. Using the stamp thing would probably be the easiest way to glue something together.

That's not my question. In the editor there's animation boxes that come default with the initial object. I can't figure out how to spawn more, or even if that's possible. Spawning new objects does not spawn the associated animation box.

Blizzard

Banned
That's not my question. In the editor there's animation boxes that come default with the initial object. I can't figure out how to spawn more, or even if that's possible. Spawning new objects does not spawn the associated animation box.
Oh, I don't know how animations work. Sorry. :(

moozoom

I hope the French localization will be better handled than the DS game (only played the first one), the choice of words was peculiar sometimes. It took many tries to finally find a solution to some simple puzzles. I'll wait for the reviews or go with the UK version (game has to launch in europe first).

Midou

Nice OT, the European release image is lol.

While it lacks the challenge of the 'repeat this puzzle 3 times with new words', I always liked dicking around in the free form level before the game starts, so it's kind of cool this whole game is like that.

Mista Koo

Not sure if I should wait for when I get a Wii U a year or two down the line or get it on Steam and double dip when I buy one.

Can't wait to try these in glorious HD:

ZJe5A.jpg

oW3PH.jpg

Majukun

i hoped that moving from portables to home consoles and pc the game would have got some enhancements in physics and some deeper mechanics..instead it seems the same game with the possibility to edit objects...

danmaku

Based off the runaway success that is the Pregnancy Device, I created a gun that makes your enemies pregnant, obsese, slow, and cannibalistic. After giving birth they eat their own kid.

I also created a version of the gun that makes the person poisonous as well. When they give birth their kids inherit their adjectives. Upon eating their offspring they are then poisoned

this is games

And people thought that GTA games were nasty...

i hoped that moving from portables to home consoles and pc the game would have got some enhancements in physics and some deeper mechanics..instead it seems the same game with the possibility to edit objects...

The physics seem way better than the handhelds at the very least. I've yet to topple something over like an idiot while walking by it

I beated the first two worlds when I got the game, the gameplay part has turn much more fun than in the older games, the missions have a lot more variety and the game is more like a textless adventure game that what Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts offered.

Im european and got a key for the game (as Ive worked as an artist on it, we did hundreads of easter eggs, some are really difficult to discover lol) and I can say that its not blocked by country like other steam games. So you can get the american version and use it in a european account without a problem.

Just a heed of warning, the game is translated apart from english to other laguages like spanish and french.

I dont know the french version, but the spanish translation is south american spanish and not castillian spanish, so lots of words are completly different in the dictionary, what will make rather difficult to anyone spain to resolve some puzzles or try to summon some of the objects and characters.
I suppose the french version is canadian french, so i dont know how similar is to french in france for it to be a problem.

Im playing it right now in english, and will get the wiiU version to play it in spanish.

Lots of objects were reworked to do what they do in real life and physics are enhanced.
The game objects and characters work MUCH better than in the handheld versions.

BooJoh

I can't believe on the 3DS all the action takes place on the lower (2D) screen. I was all excited about the game until I learned about that and I don't really understand why it had to be that way.

Is it true the 3DS version also lacks the object editor? What's on the top screen? I had some strange misconception that the 3DS version was delayed, but now I'm glad I didn't get it after hearing impressions. Plus it looks glorious in HD, without all the jaggies the first two games had.

In addition to better physics, some of the screen effects are improved like fire, wind, and full-screen color effects.

Jackson

Because the game requires dragging items around and tapping we would have had to mimic the game twice on both screens. So you would virtually drag items on the bottom screen to place them on the top screen.

We tried that, it was dumb.

shaowebb

No PC screen shots yet?!?!

I've posted nothing but PC screenshots. Here's my latest MVC3 creation.

MIKE HAGGAR (requested by Smurfx)

He is listed as MAYOR OF EARTH on the steam workshop.
OHeIv.jpg

I scripted the shit out of him. If he sees a human animal or robot he WILL grab them and carry them. This took scripts to make anyone he touched throwable which makes them grabbable. This in kind makes them attack Haggar so I setup a whole SEQUENCE of scripts that let him not only attack you with DAS PIPE but he will also grab you and THROW THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!

Also true to Haggar he has resets! He will often throw a bitch, catch them and throw them again for an unstoppable loop. Dude wrecks shit with his throw loop and grab resets that I scripted him. I am literally not making this up. This Haggar does it all.

He is scripted to go after humans, robots (Im making sentinel later) and animals (for Ammy and of course sharks).

EDIT: Oh and I also made certain he has Haggar's growling yell!

Maybe I'll have to check this one out! Looks like people are having a lot of fun with it (not that I need more 3DS games this season... so many!)

Blizzard

Banned
No PC screen shots yet?!?!
I posted a couple in the screenshots thread. Some people apparently get slightly sharper backgrounds and better anti-aliasing than me, so that may be a graphics card or driver issue. I'm using a 5850 with old drivers.

Now that I figured out the CCC mipmap quality was messed up before, my screenshots should look less horribly ugly. Scribblenauts Unlimited, featuring a KITTY LAUNCHER from the workshop.

scribble2012-11-2202-w7unb.jpg

scribble2012-11-2203-jqu5d.jpg

Two more Scribblenauts Unlimited:

scribble2012-11-2203-15u40.jpg

scribble2012-11-2203-unuut.jpg

shaowebb

I'll help you with that in a bit.

How'd you get that belt on haggar? I tried spawning a belt in creator, said it's not allowed...

made a board, shrank it, colored it, added a buckle, used fingernails to create the suspender clip shapes needed. I even added a small rectangular thingy over the handle bar mustache which I rotated upside down to get his mustache the right shape.

Think in shapes more than words and the color editer and the stacking of layers will handle the rest! His meaty man arms are teardrop shapes layered on the real arm painted fleshtone with a ball for his shoulder muscle and more fingernail shapes for the knuckles. He has fingers placed over a ball for his "graspy" wrestler hand and a heart shape to show his forearm from a front view. It looks right when you layer it behind the hand I made.

Think of the shapes you want first on each body part, then think of what words might have them, make those, color them appropriately to mask their original purpose and use layers to hide edges or seams you don't like. Even use layers like I did for the stache to fake the shapes you need by putting things on top of other shapes.

Blizzard

Banned
made a board, shrank it, colored it, added a buckle, used fingernails to create the suspender clip shapes needed. I even added a small rectangular thingy over the handle bar mustache which I rotated upside down to get his mustache the right shape.

Think in shapes more than words and the color editer and the stacking of layers will handle the rest! His meaty man arms are teardrop shapes layered on the real arm painted fleshtone with a ball for his shoulder muscle and more fingernail shapes for the knuckles. He has fingers placed over a ball for his "graspy" wrestler hand and a heart shape to show his forearm from a front view. It looks right when you layer it behind the hand I made.

Think of the shapes you want first on each body part, then think of what words might have them, make those, color them appropriately to mask their original purpose and use layers to hide edges or seams you don't like. Even use layers like I did for the stache to fake the shapes you need by putting things on top of other shapes.
When you say layers, do you only mean stacking stamps on top of other stamps, or is there an object editor feature I'm not aware of?

Jackson or anyone, do you happen to know if it's possible to non-uniformly scale stamps in the editor? I'd love to make some things tall and thin, or narrow and wide. But I suspect the object-loading mechanism would not have support for adjectives applied to stamps (and the object editor itself does not let you apply them)...I just don't know if the game internals have both X and Y scaling or only uniform scaling.

BooJoh

When you say layers, do you only mean stacking stamps on top of other stamps, or is there an object editor feature I'm not aware of?
In the editor, when you have a piece selected, the bottom left and bottom right buttons (I believe) have two boxes and an arrow, those are to move it up or down a layer.

Jackson or anyone, do you happen to know if it's possible to non-uniformly scale stamps in the editor? I'd love to make some things tall and thin, or narrow and wide. But I suspect the object-loading mechanism would not have support for adjectives applied to stamps (and the object editor itself does not let you apply them)...I just don't know if the game internals have both X and Y scaling or only uniform scaling.

I don't think it's possible, at least I haven't found a way.

I'm still trying to figure out if there's an object category for players/player-controlled avatars when editing behaviors.

Because the game requires dragging items around and tapping we would have had to mimic the game twice on both screens. So you would virtually drag items on the bottom screen to place them on the top screen.

We tried that, it was dumb.
I guess I can understand that.

I find this funny having worked on the game but shaowebb, have you find something good to make any type of hair to create characters?
Ive tried with the word hair, but I dont like to much how it leaves the black lines when you are making a new hair.

How many levels are in this game? How many main objectives do you need to complete per level?

Looks to be about 40 levels/worlds or so. Each one has about 0-2 "full" starite challenges, and 6-10 shards.

A level is about the size of a very large 'playground' from the previous 2 games.

BooJoh

I find this funny having worked on the game but shaowebb, have you find something good to make any type of hair to create characters?
Ive tried with the word hair, but I dont like to much how it leaves the black lines when you are making a new hair.

When making my avatar, what I did was found someone out in the world with the closest match I wanted (after trying various spawned people and not having any luck) then loaded them into the object editor and saved them as "temp," then went back to my avatar I was editing and added "temp" and grabbed their head. After I was done I deleted "temp."

Looks to be about 40 levels/worlds or so. Each one has about 0-2 "full" starite challenges, and 6-10 shards.

A level is about the size of a very large 'playground' from the previous 2 games.
Thanks. Silly question I'm sure but do you have to collect the starites and shards to complete levels?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How deep is the character creation and AI in this game? Can we create GAF mods in game and have them duke it out with Haggar and Master Chief?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I'd want the PC version, but I agree with Sterling most of the time.
This is terrible.

Should I wait for the inevitable Steamy sale?

BooJoh

How deep is the character creation and AI in this game? Can we create GAF mods in game and have them duke it out with Haggar and Master Chief?

The scripting is pretty robust, but you can only really apply behaviors to specific categories of objects, rather than specific objects. So for example, you could make something hate humans, or humanoids, or mythical creatures, but you can't specifically make something that hates only Night Elves or something specific like some of the built-in stuff. You can have them inherit their behavior from the base object you build them from though.

But when spawning your custom GAF mod and Master Chief you could simply add adjectives to make one evil or something and they'll probably fight.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The scripting is pretty robust, but you can only really apply behaviors to specific categories of objects, rather than specific objects. So for example, you could make something hate humans, or humanoids, or mythical creatures, but you can't specifically make something that hates only Night Elves or something specific like some of the built-in stuff. You can have them inherit their behavior from the base object you build them from though.

But when spawning your custom GAF mod and Master Chief you could simply add adjectives to make one evil or something and they'll probably fight.

Damn, no racism, this is terrible.

This game is loaded with easter eggs, holy crap. Make sure you do levels multiple times and just go exploring off the beaten path. Here are 2 I found in one level (the starite in the diner)

First off, the game supports feeding the patrons the opposite of what they asked for. For example, if you give the kid a vegetable he'll grow strong as wanted, but if you give him a cake he'll become fat and complain. Both end up solving it, though.

(giving the cannibal a carrot turns him into a hippy)

However, if you take the stairs upward you'll find a performing magician, 2 patrons and a wizard. The wizard looks bored. On a hunch I put a rabbit in the hat. The magician took it out, the patrons applauded, and the wizard got pissed off and turned the magician into a monster

Totally unrelated to the level - I didn't even gain a shard - and very easy to miss. Incredible.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I'm liking the editor for the most part. Should be fun to see what gets made throughout the whole duration of the game. Was working on a Commander Video, but I'm trying to script in some trailing rainbow thing but trying to create something good enough with the effect is proving to be difficult. So, to break away from that, here is Dudebro.

200x200.resizedimage

Top Bottom