• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Unlimited |OT| Unleash your inner copyright infringement

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Then who was phone!

It was a 3DS preorder bonus at Gamestop, along with a pencil stylus.
tumblr_mawoldvr871qzp9weo1_1280.png

Blizzard

Banned
I think I mentioned that (as far as I know?) the digging destructible-terrain mechanics of previous Scribblenauts aren't in this version. Are the dark/light mechanics? I spawned a moon but it did not make things turn dark. Is there any way to make a level turn to night so I can admire the lighthouse beam effect?

So, funny story. I was editing my Moneyhat so that it'd spawn trophies upon getting near a journalist. Makes sense, right? Well, I chose the wrong scripting option and it accidentally spawned a trophy every time it was near any object - including (it seems) the very trophies it was spawning

...about 2 seconds later:

hMgyL.jpg

I'm the guy on the toilet

As to why I'm on a toilet, well, there's a perfect reasonable explanation. I wanted to see if I could flush a human. I used a shrink ray on the health inspector, picked him up, and yeah turns out you can flush him down the toilet pretty easily.

I even gained a starite shard for my trouble

Game of the Year (just look at how many awards it has won)

When making my avatar, what I did was found someone out in the world with the closest match I wanted (after trying various spawned people and not having any luck) then loaded them into the object editor and saved them as "temp," then went back to my avatar I was editing and added "temp" and grabbed their head. After I was done I deleted "temp."

Then I know theres no character with the hair I want to use, damn lol

So, funny story. I was editing my Moneyhat so that it'd spawn trophies upon getting near a journalist. Makes sense, right? Well, I chose the wrong scripting option and it accidentally spawned a trophy every time it was near any object - including (it seems) the very trophies it was spawning

...about 2 seconds later:

hMgyL.jpg

I'm the guy on the toilet

As to why I'm on a toilet, well, there's a perfect reasonable explanation. I wanted to see if I could flush a human. I used a shrink ray on the health inspector, picked him up, and yeah turns out you can flush him down the toilet pretty easily.

I even gained a starite shard for my trouble

Game of the Year (just look at how many awards it has won)

Thats amazing!

I see youve got the mafia brother, so can you help getting the starite of his stage, the one with the anemone that wants to go to a knew school. I dont know really what to do there.

ThankeeSai

Has there been any reason given as to why the EU launch of this has been delayed? Never really gave this a 2nd look tbh, but after watching some videos over the past few days, I was really looking forward to getting it on Friday :(

Can you pick a dog or inanimate objects as your Avatar in this game? I try but I don't know how to remove the body or make it so the game knows this is the head and these are the legs. I enjoy this game, very cute.

Has there been any reason given as to why the EU launch of this has been delayed? Never really gave this a 2nd look tbh, but after watching some videos over the past few days, I was really looking forward to getting it on Friday :(

I would say Languages (Deutsch, Español, Français etc)

Can you pick a dog or inanimate objects as your Avatar in this game? I try but I don't know how to remove the body or make it so the game knows this is the head and these are the legs. I enjoy this game, very cute.

I would say Languages (Deutsch, Español, Français etc)

Soppossedly is the translation, strangely the steam version already has lots of european languages, but some like spanish, french and portuguese are really south american spanish, brazilian protuguese and canadian french, and not its european counterparts.
Also the game is dub in all this laguages so that may be the delay.

And about the avatars i think thats not the case. You can select your bother's avatars by finishing their missions, but not other characters.

Blizzard

Banned
Soppossedly is the translation, strangely the steam version already has lots of european languages, but some like spanish, french and portuguese are really south american spanish, brazilian protuguese and canadian french, and not its european counterparts.
Also the game is dub in all this laguages so that may be the delay.
I thought I read a quote from Jeremiah/Jackson saying that trust him, he wants everyone's money, and localization is not what's delaying the launch to 2013, and it's something he isn't allowed to talk about until next year.

BUT I don't work for 5th Cell so I could be totally wrong. :p

Funny thing is that I've bought Super Scribblenaughts for the 3DS and haven't even gotten it out of the plastic wrapping. (Same still goes for Spirit Tracks, although I've "resolutely" taken the plastic of that one. And then not played it.)

Yet I still want to play this version as well. Fuck My First World Life. (FMFWL) :'D

Oh right, and I still need to continue with The World Ends With You (love how meta it is) past
round two

I thought I read a quote from Jeremiah/Jackson saying that trust him, he wants everyone's money, and localization is not what's delaying the launch to 2013, and it's something he isn't allowed to talk about until next year.

BUT I don't work for 5th Cell so I could be totally wrong. :p

Well, i suppose localization is the work of Warner Bros, not 5th cell (i do not now if this is true, maybe Jeremiah can talk abot that), and Ican tell you, having played the game on steam, that even if there are the majority of european languages already translated, some of them are the american versions of this languages (south american spanish vs castillian spanish, canadian french vs france french, etc...) and that affects playability of this game because its mainly about words. So this languages are still not done, or are already done but not inside the version you can play right now.

Im pretty sure as Jeremiah said, that is not only (or really) localisation holding the game back in europe, but if he said that he can speak about it until 2013 well, will have to wait.

shaowebb

Im at my family's place right now and I didn't like the ponies on the Workshop. I made this for me and my wife's little sister to play with.

pMUs4.jpg

Flies, destroys clouds,eats fruit and snatches cider.

Im at my family's place right now and I didn't like the ponies on the Workshop. I made this for me and my wife's little sister to play with.

pMUs4.jpg

Flies, destroys clouds,eats fruit and snatches cider.

Hahaha, pretty amazing. What are you using to create the hair, Im founding it pretty hard to use the object creator.

shaowebb

Hahaha, pretty amazing. What are you using to create the hair, Im founding it pretty hard to use the object creator.

I used fangs and moons. Just test the animation to make sure they attached to the same area. Oh lord the tail-splosion this suffered that first time...
*NOTE* When you try to rename this to RAINBOW DASH you should know that because the first part of the name is an adjective that sometimes when you enter a new area on the map it will reload the word lists and when that happens it won't create this pony anymore. It will create a rainbow colored dash object. Just enter the name Rainbow Dash without a space and it will work everytime though. This was a cool discovery that things with adjectives for first names will sometimes be dumped from the word list upon entering a new area like the firehouse.

OH and we kept working and I made her a Pinkie Pie too.

fKSgE.jpg

She hops, makes balloons and confetti and steals/eats all the sweets.

EDIT: Also here's AJ. She kicks and eats apples.

5BY0m.jpg

Kazerei

Banned
Finally picked up a copy for the 3DS. I'll blast through it and then it'll make a nice gift for someone. I'm keeping the skin and stylus though :p

IKqJR.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked but the op made me curious. Is the user generated content cross platform or is it strictly limited to either version?. Say I waned to download someone's content made on the pc version to play on the Wii-u version and vice versa.

Blizzard

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked but the op made me curious. Is the user generated content cross platform or is it strictly limited to either version?. Say I waned to download someone's content made on the pc version to play on the Wii-u version and vice versa.
I believe it's only single-platform, Miiverse versus Steam workshop.

shaowebb

Hmm...I found some bugs in the PC version's steam cloud syncing. That are odd.

CLOUD SYNC GLITCH BREAKDOWN.

I made Haggar 2 days ago before traveling to see family. Once there my little stepsister wanted me to make her some ponies in the game so I installed steam, accessed my library and setup scribblenauts unlimited for their system. To my surprise Haggar was not there even though Morrigan and Iron Fist who I had made a day earlier were.

As you saw we went on to make several ponies. Then upon trying to start the game it asked me to choose between the local content or the steam cloud data claiming their was a cloud sync error. It wouldn't load the local so I had to choose the cloud data. We lost all the ponies.

No problem since I uploaded everything to the workshop right? Wrong. Even though I tested to see if I could subscribe to other items other people made to get them in my game I found that I could not subscribe to anything I myself had made to download it again if I deleted it or lost it. This means that while the workshop still has Haggar and the 3 ponies I made I cannot get them back unless someone else reuploads them for me to download.

I got home just now from my trip and immediately tried to access my game. Same steam cloud sync error appeared and the same "unable to load local content" problem occurred. Given this is the PC build this shouldn't be hard to patch out though in an update, but I thought since likely I'm the only guy whose messed around heavy with the workshop and steam cloud data sync on this game I thought I'd give you a heads up that this is a thing right now.

Upload your creations and if you lose something from jumping around using other PC's causing this cloud sync error I'll try to reupload it for you to download since it seems we cant download our own creations from the workshop should we lose them.

I'm pretty consistently able to reproduce a cloud sync error by subscribing to items without the game being on. Steam will claim it downloaded them, but upon booting the game up it gives me a sync error and the item never shows up

shaowebb

I'm pretty consistently able to reproduce a cloud sync error by subscribing to items without the game being on. Steam will claim it downloaded them, but upon booting the game up it gives me a sync error and the item never shows up

I just ran my game and even though it locally could not claim to load all my data I went back to the farm where I had a Haggar summoned and sure enough he was there on my home computer even though he wasn't on my family's computer 3 counties away. My guess is I must have shut down my computer before a full cloud sync could occur for him, but this does not explain why their computer lost the ponies I made on their computer. Perhaps an early shutdown caused a cloud sync error and that errored sync version of my save was what loaded onto their computer thus replacing its data and erasing anything I had made after it on their system.

In either case though it lead me to the discovery that should you upload an item and then delete it in game you can not download your own items back into your game from the workshop. I just turned off steam though so I'm going to test and see if I can subscribe to those items without steam on to see if it will download them in that way instead of from the in game browser when steam is running. I'll post if it works or not. If it doesn't though could someone rehost the ponies for me? I promised her I'd make her the rest to play with for the next time I came over.

EDIT:

Selecting my creations with steam offline to download the next time I turned it on didn't fix it either. If it had then it would mean it was some sort of in game browser error from Steam preventing folks from redownloading uploaded items of their own making. Since trying this offline didn't do anything that means it is a very real bug and not one that you can work around.

I'd like to ask if anyone here could reupload those ponies for me to download back into my game for my stepsister to enjoy and for me to use as templates to build her the rest of the crew. I'll tell you once I got them back so you can remove them afterwards.

ScOULaris

It is really quite depressing how underwhelmed GAF seems to be with the Scribblenaut series, given the incredible amount of hype and excitement on this site in particular leading up to the release of the first game. The first game's controls were definitely a disappointment, but I feel like many people slammed the game for reasons that were more a fault of their own lack of imagination/ambition than the game's limitations. "I can just use wings and God to solve everything" was a common complaint that got tossed around GAF following the release of the first game.

Once Super Scribblenauts came out and improved upon the formula with d-pad controls and adjectives, it was clear that most of GAF had already given up hope completely. The OT for Super Scribblenauts fizzled out faster than a reality TV star's acting career. It was a damn shame, and the general disinterest for the series on GAF doesn't seem to be showing any signs of reversing.

None of the Scribblenauts games have ever been perfect. They've never even fully lived up to their impossibly impressive concept, but in the hands of a creative, open-minded, and experimental player, there simply aren't many sandboxes that can go toe-to-toe with Scribblenauts.

ScOULaris

I've created a couple of custom avatars, but this is the one I've stuck with the longest. I can't post his name because it'd probably be deemed offensive on GAF, but here's a pic:

Six-pack abs, pink vest/pants, black rooster hat/gloves, shades, and a killer smile. The rainbow wings aren't part of the character. He just happened to be wearing them when I snapped that shot.

I'd like to see what avatars the rest of you are currently using.
3AQmK.gif

Himself

It is really quite depressing how underwhelmed GAF seems to be with the Scribblenaut series, given the incredible amount of hype and excitement on this site in particular leading up to the release of the first game. The first game's controls were definitely a disappointment, but I feel like many people slammed the game for reasons that were more a fault of their own lack of imagination/ambition than the game's limitations. "I can just use wings and God to solve everything" was a common complaint that got tossed around GAF following the release of the first game.

Once Super Scribblenauts came out and improved upon the formula with d-pad controls and adjectives, it was clear that most of GAF had already given up hope completely. The OT for Super Scribblenauts fizzled out faster than a reality TV star's acting career. It was a damn shame, and the general disinterest for the series on GAF doesn't seem to be showing any signs of reversing.

None of the Scribblenauts games have ever been perfect. They've never even fully lived up to their impossibly impressive concept, but in the hands of a creative, open-minded, and experimental player, there simply aren't many sandboxes that can go toe-to-toe with Scribblenauts.

For what it's worth, I've never played a Scribblenauts game and I plan on picking this up whenever I get my Wii U. Looks fun. I'm not expecting challenge or deep gameplay.

shaowebb

I don't care if GAF forgets the OT because I'll just keep making stuff and posting here no matter what. Steam Workshop hit over 60 pages in 3 days so you KNOW it at least found its market with the PC crowd.

Game is great fun and they are quick at patching stuff in it considering the couple of lockups folks had got patched out early.

Speaking of is there anyone here on PC willing to reupload my 3 pony creations so I can download them and work some more? My step sis is in the 6th grade and she worked with me to make those. I'd like to get them back so I can let her play with them some more next time I show up and so I can make her the rest without a lot of retreading and fitting parts again.

Just let me know what you name them and after I get them back I'll tell you so you can remove them if you don't want them in your collection.

So I have this sitting right next to me, but I'm waiting until I'm done Mario U and Zombi U before I start it.

From what I can tell, it's basically like a Mario World world map, with a bunch of levels in it that are basically puzzles?

I've never played Scribblenauts before, so I am really excited for it.

Blizzard

Banned
Regarding Steam cloud sync issues, is there a way to test it if you don't have a problem to begin with? I tried deleting the object slot file, but the game auto-downloads it from the cloud again. I can't manually delete it ingame, since that automatically deletes it from the workshop.

Because of that, I can't actually check if I can subscribe to my own item and redownload it.

Does anyone have me on Steam? Someone try uploading their obj_slot_whatever file (under Steam\userdata\some_number\218680\remote) to dropbox or something, so I can see if manually dropping it into the directory will work.

It is really quite depressing how underwhelmed GAF seems to be with the Scribblenaut series, given the incredible amount of hype and excitement on this site in particular leading up to the release of the first game.
You could write essays and chart graphs about the interest and reaction to the Scribblenauts series. It's a moralistic story that teaches the virtues of managed expectations, hype trains, and polish.

It's a series that could have had incredible mainstream success and recognition if they had only let it cook a little bit longer. It's recovered in a way that Spore can only dream of, but it's still not reaching its full potential.

The way I view it, the original was a mess, Super was what the original should have been, and Ultimate is (mostly) what a lot of people saw as the promise of the hype.

After getting about halfway through, I'd say the weakest points of the game are still the puzzle parts. It's just bad design all around. Puzzles are way, way too easy - not "family game" easy, which would have been totally understandable. Instead the game holds your hand and practically spells out the solution.

Sometimes it's so bad it's hard to think of other, more unique answers. I've played a lot alongside my fiancee and I'll actually say out loud, "ok, the game is obviously looking for this answer...what else could we do instead?" It's hard not to draw blanks.

Finally, it's frustrating that the game is so inconsistent about when it acknowledges your choices. Early on there's a level where you need to decorate a station wagon like a fire truck - your chosen objects are reflected in the final product. I loved that. Later on there's a level where you need to help a guy get ready for a date. I gave him a hat. He went into a salon and came out like a super model for whatever reason, and he had no hat.

That's dumb.

Overall, I'd still say it's a really good game, and the puzzles are stronger in some ways even if they are weaker in others. Every other part that's more "sandbox" than "game" is way better than it has ever been, so it's easy to recommend even to someone who didn't like the previous 2

shaowebb

The puzzle thing is because a bunch of uncreative folks whined after the first game that it was too hard. Professor Layton players they weren't is all I'll say because it was never too hard and the first was pretty good. Then it was "guess the word" in super trying to passify those guys. The best puzzles were and shall always be the action puzzles that involved getting past dangerous hazards, getting past things that could destroy the starite, or stealth.

Tornado with a starite behind it? Here's my most enjoyed solution.
  • put glue on starite
  • place metal on glue
  • make magnet
  • attach rope to magnet
  • toss rope in tornado
  • PRAY.

Stuff like that was hilariously fun to retread over and over to find more and more insane solutions to. I'd love it if there were the equivalent of mario galaxy "comet" versions of past puzzles involving solving them with perhaps small word limits, or with adjectives only, or something.

EDIT:
Shoutouts to jmgeno on Steam for being nice enough to reupload those 3 ponies for me to download back into my game. Now I don't have to remake them for Kaylee later and I can use them as template for building her the rest to play with.

DOUBLE EDIT: So um...this just happened testing to make certain all of my recovered data works.

SVshF.jpg

ROFL!

Jackson

It's a series that could have had incredible mainstream success and recognition if they had only let it cook a little bit longer. It's recovered in a way that Spore can only dream of, but it's still not reaching its full potential.

With the millions of people who have bought the games I'm pretty sure the series is a mainstream success dude. But it could always be better. :)

Yeah, but I'm sure you'll agree it's not just about sales, especially when you factor in "hype sales". In a certain online community I'm still mocked for pre-release cheerleading the original.

Also, just want to say how weird it is critiquing a game when you know a designer can actually read what you're saying and respond. My first instinct is to downplay my complaints - I think I can understand why journos have such a hard time as well.

Anyway, if I ruled the world I'd make every single puzzle about systems - if Farcry 2 can be defined by a grenade rolling down a hill, Scribblenauts should be defined by a beaver cutting a tree down. Systems. Interactions. Logic.

As they stand now, puzzles are largely "guess the word" or in some cases "guess the adjective". I cannot say with confidence how I would change that, but I envision a Rube Goldberg machine with a Starite at the end. Even better, a level would already include a moving system that you'd need to either disrupt or grow to advance.

Along these lines, my favorite puzzles in Unlimited have by far come from the bite-sized shard "quests" that you stumble across in the world.

shaowebb

To pay back the guy who helped me recover the ponies I made for Kaylee I offered to do whichever pony he wanted next. Here's the results.

cgHsn.jpg

Both him and Kaylee should be very pleased. Listed as TWILIGHT SPARKLY PONY or just search MLP in the workshop.

EDIT: Also check out what my wife made.
AgoLZ.jpg

She's making space pirates that spawn tubes and phazon that will do stuff too. Her Metroid is pretty stylin as well, but she wants to add even more behaviors and scripts to it before she uploads it.

BooJoh

I think Unlimited is the best of the games by far, especially with custom avatars and objects. If I had any complaints, it would be some of the more specific puzzles where it's harder to think outside the box because you end up not getting a reaction, and a couple minor gripes (like not being able to directly save an avatar as an object, or not being able to share avatars online.)

The physics finally feel spot on to me, and I like the sandbox structure with mini-missions as opposed to just a bunch of missions. I don't know how many people gave up on this series because of the first game's flaws, but they're seriously missing out, and anyone complaining the game is too easy probably just lacks imagination or self control. This game, to me, isn't about the puzzles challenging me, it's about challenging myself to not use the obvious answer.

shaowebb

This game, to me, isn't about the puzzles challenging me, it's about challenging myself to not use the obvious answer.

Same. So who else here solved the puzzle of dealing with the bully in the school by giving him the adjective "DEAD"?

ScOULaris

To me, the best levels in the series are the ones where there is a starrite somewhere on the map and you have to navigate a set of hazards to get to it. The normal puzzles are simply too easy and don't reward the player whatsoever for thinking creatively.

Like I said earlier in this thread, a level creator would enable people to make and share these types of engaging levels. So far in Unlimited, I've only come across one or two of the action-style levels (on the prison level).

What I keep getting from the comments I hear is that it simply isn't worth $60, and the puzzles only seem to add solutions that make you think like the developer, not more creatively. Plus, the lack of action stages, I suppose.

codhand

Never played a Scribblenauts before this one. Going through it on Wii U with the waifu, having a lot of fun. Maybe have 20 Starites. Glad I picked this up. Much more fun to pass this game back and forth than to play solo. Looking forward to going ham on the object editor.

Top Bottom