• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GAF, I'm landing tomorrow night and am here for 4 days. What do I need to do. I'll be staying downtown.

Food:

Sandwich from paseo in Fremont.
Ramen from Mr. Nugnug at ramen man in Wallingford.
Sushi at the bar at Shiros.

dLMN8R

Some alternative suggestions:

Brunch at Tilth in Wallingford, or Americana in Capitol Hill
Reuben sandwich at Market House Meats or Bavarian Meats
Drinks at Canon or Knee High Stocking Company

dLMN8R

Patries: Bakery Nouveau, Crumble and Flake

Have a lot of money and want a high-end dinner? Altura or Art of the Table.

Trouble

Banned
Patries: Bakery Nouveau, Crumble and Flake

Have a lot of money and want a high-end dinner? Altura or Art of the Table.

Used to walk by Crumble and Flake on my way to work. Was excited when it opened because it way something new on my path. Honestly thought it was overrated, never understood the lines.

My suggestion: Go right up the block to Montana and get a Moscow Mule. Rachel from Rachel's Ginger Beer is one of the owners and they have her Ginger Beer on tap and use it for their MMs. sogood.gif

Edit: Oh oh! If you want the best brunch ever go to Señor Moose. Bit far from downtown if you don't have a car, though.

Do you like Mac and cheese? if so Beecher’s has great Mac and cheese( its in Pike place market) expensive, but its soo good
Also:
Din Tai Fung( Dim sum place)
Metropolitan grill( upper class steak place)

things to see:
Seattle Great Wheel
Chihuly Garden and Glass
Muesem of flight
Seattle Pinball Musem
Woodland Park Zoo
Seattle Public Library

Brakke

Banned
Din Tai Fung (Dim sum place)

That's some serious DTF down-playing. If by "dim sum place" you mean they make the best dumplings in the entire world, then yeah, sure, DTF is a dim sum place. There's two locations, one by the University and one in Bellevue.

If you're downtown and into dorky tourist stuff, The Underground Tour is a sort of good Seattle history lesson. The audacity of the engineering project to rebuild Seattle on top of itself is bonkers.

On weekends you can go to Volunteer Park on Cap Hill I think there's a pretty regular LARP / goofballs-hitting-each-other-with-foam-swords crew. Also I really like the graveyard by there, and there's some good elevated lookouts out East toward Lake Washington. Not too exciting, but the area's pretty good for flopping around on a sunny morning.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The Great Wheel is nice to look at from a distance at night; as an actual attraction, that thing is a Great Ripoff. Don't waste your money.

That's some serious DTF down-playing. If by "dim sum place" you mean they make the best dumplings in the entire world, then yeah, sure, DTF is a dim sum place. There's two locations, one by the University and one in Bellevue.

If you're downtown and into dorky tourist stuff, The Underground Tour is a sort of good Seattle history lesson. The audacity of the engineering project to rebuild Seattle on top of itself is bonkers.

On weekends you can go to Volunteer Park on Cap Hill I think there's a pretty regular LARP / goofballs-hitting-each-other-with-foam-swords crew. Also I really like the graveyard by there, and there's some good elevated lookouts out East toward Lake Washington. Not too exciting, but the area's pretty good for flopping around on a sunny morning.

I wouldn't say DTF is best in the "world" it's good but lets not get carry away.

Brakke

Banned
I wouldn't say DTF is best in the "world" it's good but lets not get carry away.

Yes it is ridiculous distinction. But.

DinTaiFung established its reputation and have been highly
praised by the media including being selected as one of the top
ten restaurants in the world by the “New York Times”. It has also
been voted as the most favored dining place by political and
commercial celebrities and is one of the must-see places for
national and international stars.

http://www.dintaifungusa.com/index.html

It's v good.

derder

On weekends you can go to Volunteer Park on Cap Hill
I think there's a pretty regular LARP / goofballs-hitting-each-other-with-foam-swords crew. Also I really like the graveyard by there, and there's some good elevated lookouts out East toward Lake Washington. Not too exciting, but the area's pretty good for flopping around on a sunny morning.
Where is this?

So due to an unexpected event
(divorce)
, ill be moving to Seattle from Florida. Obvious anxiety aside, what am I in for? I'm really into outdoor activities, and never had a problem socializing with people. It's rough having to sell my house and start over at 29 :/

dLMN8R

(divorce)
, ill be moving to Seattle from Florida. Obvious anxiety aside, what am I in for? I'm really into outdoor activities, and never had a problem socializing with people. It's rough having to sell my house and start over at 29 :/

I'm so sorry to hear.

Luckily, if you love outdoor activities and socializing with people, Seattle will be great for you. Any time of year, there will be something for you to do. Whether running around Green Lake, or hiking, or kayaking, or biking, or anything else.

I'm so sorry to hear.

Luckily, if you love outdoor activities and socializing with people, Seattle will be great for you. Any time of year, there will be something for you to do. Whether running around Green Lake, or hiking, or kayaking, or biking, or anything else.

Sounds great! Funny enough my best friend who lives out there says I'll fit in because I drive a Subaru imprezza. Im looking into employment with hospitals out there or possibly a attempt to become a park ranger/game warden. I'm not too concernd because of my pension so financially I'll do fine.

dubc35

Sounds great! Funny enough my best friend who lives out there says I'll fit in because I drive a Subaru imprezza. Im looking into employment with hospitals out there or possibly a attempt to become a park ranger/game warden. I'm not too concernd because of my pension so financially I'll do fine.

The Pac-NW is the land of Subaru. I have an Impreza and a Legacy wagon lol.

The Pac-NW is the land of Subaru. I have an Impreza and a Legacy wagon lol.

I sold my dodge challenger a picked up the WRX. I love this car, Im house hunting for a reasonable place with a garage so I can baby it. It's going to be a culture shock from leaving a heavy Latin area to the Cascades.

Phthisis

(divorce)

The most awesome place ever.

cdyhybrid

(divorce)

Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like this will be your kind of place. There are shitloads of outdoorsy things to do within driving distance from the city and you'll find interesting people to socialize with.

If you can handle only 3 months of real sunshine in a year, you'll be just fine.

What sort of hospital employment? I could probably have someone pass your resume along if it happens to be oncology nursing.

What sort of hospital employment? I could probably have someone pass your resume along if it happens to be oncology nursing.

Unfortunately it's not oncology nor nursing, Im just a Telehealth system tech. When patients are discharged I visit them and train them with the installation and operation of all medical equipment. So when nurses arrive for visits half of their workload is automated and complete.

Ah well, good luck anyway

The Adder

Banned
Anyone who is an MtG fan, there's a charity draft at The Dreaming today..

12:30 PM sign up - Regular $15 Theros/Born of the Gods draft.

6:30 PM sign up - Triple Zendikar pay what you want (minimum $5 buy in) draft. However you can be outbid for your spot.

All proceeds go to charity. An anti-cancer charity IIRC.

Today was crazy gorgeous. It's margarita and taco time. But not Taco Time, which is horrific.

The family and I just got back from Discovery Park and Uneeda Burger. Beautiful day, I actually have tons of work to do, but I'd rather enjoy the day with the family and try to hack it out at night as opposed to miss out on a day like today.

Talk to us about ramen.

I'd rather not. Don't want to remind evryone how inferior our best ramen is compared to anything over there. Jealous.

Ok, ok. Had amaaaazing jiro ramen at Maccho in Osaka, tantanmen twice at Kohmen plus their shiso gyoza, spicy yuzu ramen at Aufri, and a couple other random places in Osaka. All of it was goooooood.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'd rather not. Don't want to remind evryone how inferior our best ramen is compared to anything over there. Jealous.

Ok, ok. Had amaaaazing jiro ramen at Maccho in Osaka, tantanmen twice at Kohmen plus their shiso gyoza, spicy yuzu ramen at Aufri, and a couple other random places in Osaka. All of it was goooooood.

fuck. Now I remember why I shouldn't have asked.

Well I was legitimately craving Ramen....

dLMN8R

I fucking love this state so much.

Went to Orcas Island this weekend. Top of Mount Constitution was absolutely mindblowing. Christ on a cracker.

Trouble

Banned
-- Eww. That's like ... poor college people food. Get on board the greek food train.

You poor ignorant bastard.

This is ramen, not that dehydrated noodle shit.
j1ezmCA.jpg

blurrygil

GAF, I'm landing tomorrow night and am here for 4 days. What do I need to do. I'll be staying downtown.

And don't forget to head over to Shorty's for some pinball and PBRs.

Indeed. They're really good. But I call BS on BITW.

That's.....random. (lack of context makes it sound odd, lol)

I live on Cap/First Hill (home of the hospitals) so lemme know if you find a job around there and need a place to live. I can try and give you some suggestions!

Edit: Read one of your responses--makes more sense now. ;)

What's the best gaming store in Seattle for playing 40K or Warmahordes these days?

IMO it's Card Kingdom, hands down. Any Games Workshop in the area has awful people running their sessions and tournaments. But I'm merely an observer and occasional attendee, not a player. So take that for what it's worth.

I know. It's getting better, but nothing cones close to tantanmen over here. :-(

Agreed. But Kukai out near my work in Bellevue is pretty fantastic. There at least twice a week for lunch or dinner. :D

You poor ignorant bastard.

This is ramen, not that dehydrated noodle shit.
j1ezmCA.jpg

Even that pic looks awful.
Ok, it's not bad actually... :)

Upgrade:

l.jpg

Top Bottom