• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

I've been in before right around the time you first opened. You were working, actually.

No pork-based ramen? WTF? Huh.

Kukai is coming to Northgate? OH YEAH.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No pork-based Ramen really is kind of crazy, but if that's the vision, then I can't hate.

No pork-based Ramen really is kind of crazy, but if that's the vision, then I can't hate.

Around summer of last year my boss at Issian (while I was working there full-time), took about two weeks off to go on a ramen fact finding mission with my other boss. They traveled to Kyoto, Tokyo and Kyushu Island; trying out different ramen styles. Then a month later he took a week off and traveled to NY to do the same. When he came back he started purchasing and acquiring equipment to make ramen.

They fell in love with the Tori Paitan they had in Kyushu Island. They like that its distinct, its not tonkotsu.

Shouta

No pork ramen is fine really, especially if the want to do it that way. They'd just need to be a bit more flexible with everything else is kind of the key thing.

Anyway, I was looking at how the the buses were going to change in light of the prop failing and damn, they're murdering the buses in general. NE Seattle is turning into dead zone for quite a bit of it. =|

Anyway, I was looking at how the the buses were going to change in light of the prop failing and damn, they're murdering the buses in general. NE Seattle is turning into dead zone for quite a bit of it. =|

I'll join you in responding to that situation:
(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
While it's nice to see the $15/hr thing pushed through today, I can't believe it includes a waitstaff provision. Giving servers a nearly $6 raise on top of the tips they're going to continue receiving is really the part I disagree with.

[oh, there's a thread]

Trouble

Banned
n7XP8c5.jpg

Hey guys!

I currently live in PA and will be moving to Seattle (Bellevue) in the middle of May. I graduate from college this month and got a job lined up so..here I come! :)

With it being such a limited notice to make such a big move, any help would be appreciated. What's cool/fun to do in Bellevue/Seattle? How's traffic? I'll be commuting to the Seatac airport. Also, any advice on meeting people? Moving from PA to Seattle is a bit intimidating...it would be nice to quickly connect with some people and make friends.

Any advice on the area or anything in general about Seattle would be appreciated.

jb1234

You think? Traffic's that bad? :/ It's 20 minutes away according to Mapquest. Also I wouldn't be driving during rush hour most likely.

If it's not rush hour, you'll probably be okay. Traffic's notoriously bad in Seattle because we now have far more people than the roads can support and no room to expand the freeways.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey guys!

I currently live in PA and will be moving to Seattle (Bellevue) in the middle of May. I graduate from college this month and got a job lined up so..here I come! :)

With it being such a limited notice to make such a big move, any help would be appreciated. What's cool/fun to do in Bellevue/Seattle? How's traffic? I'll be commuting to the Seatac airport. Also, any advice on meeting people? Moving from PA to Seattle is a bit intimidating...it would be nice to quickly connect with some people and make friends.

Any advice on the area or anything in general about Seattle would be appreciated.

Where's your job physically? This is KEY.

If you are from the sticks (as opposed to say, Philly) then Bellevue could be considered a small city. Really it's a sprawlingly large "town" with multiple "centers" but Downtown Bellevue is by far the biggest hub of everything. Shopping, food, etc. I think it's fine. Not great, better than lame, mostly more affordable than Seattle.

It is adjacent to Redmond, which is like a shittier version of Bellevue and even more sprawling and poorly laid out. But cheap. Kirkland (near the lake) is a little ritzier than Redmond and the downtown is actually pleasantly laid back and "cute". If I lived on the Eastside, I would live in downtown Kirkland for sure. Feels almost like a beach town in the height of summer. MOST of Kirkland however, is houses, strip malls and freeway exits. And that's IT. It's "cute." It has loads of restaurants, shops and a few boutiques, but there's no culture and the nightlife (in Bellevue AND Kirkland) is cheesy and woeful.

Seattle is obviously the most diverse and "action" packed. World class tourist city, but still pretty liveable. Ain't cheap. If you don't like commuting, or are living on a shoestring budget, Seattle probably isn't for you. Again, depends where you're working. If it's Microsoft, then the free wifi enabled shuttles make it well worth considering.

And there are gorgeous parts of Bellevue and Redmond where you could be by a lake, a mountain, or in a forest.

Where's your job physically? This is KEY.

If you are from the sticks (as opposed to say, Philly) then Bellevue could be considered a small city. Really it's a sprawlingly large "town" with multiple "centers" but Downtown Bellevue is by far the biggest hub of everything. Shopping, food, etc. I think it's fine. Not great, better than lame, mostly more affordable than Seattle.

It is adjacent to Redmond, which is like a shittier version of Bellevue and even more sprawling and poorly laid out. But cheap. Kirkland (near the lake) is a little ritzier than Redmond and the downtown is actually pleasantly laid back and "cute". If I lived on the Eastside, I would live in downtown Kirkland for sure. Feels almost like a beach town in the height of summer. MOST of Kirkland however, is houses, strip malls and freeway exits. And that's IT. It's "cute." It has loads of restaurants, shops and a few boutiques, but there's no culture and the nightlife (in Bellevue AND Kirkland) is cheesy and woeful.

Seattle is obviously the most diverse and "action" packed. World class tourist city, but still pretty liveable. Ain't cheap. If you don't like commuting, or are living on a shoestring budget, Seattle probably isn't for you. Again, depends where you're working. If it's Microsoft, then the free wifi enabled shuttles make it well worth considering.

And there are gorgeous parts of Bellevue and Redmond where you could be by a lake, a mountain, or in a forest.

Well I just finalized a deal with someone to rent out a room so I am going to live in Bellevue. Sounds okay overall. Why is the nightlife so bad in Bellevue? I'm guessing it's better in Seattle?

Also, thanks for all this info!

jb1234

Well I just finalized a deal with someone to rent out a room so I am going to live in Bellevue. Sounds okay overall. Why is the nightlife so bad in Bellevue? I'm guessing it's better in Seattle?

Also, thanks for all this info!

Bellevue is basically a yuppie suburb. The action's all in Seattle. What part of Bellevue are you going to be in? It's actually pretty sizable.

jb1234

Returning from Mill Creek now. Was up there to check up my buddy's new house. Especially important since chances are high I'll be moving in with him and his wife. I'll miss Capitol Hill but maybe it's time for a quieter location.

Chichikov

Is rent in Bellevue even that much lower than Seattle?
That place is pretty damn pricey.
The people I know who live there are paying pretty much Seattle prices.

I love how every time Bellevue comes up everyone rushes to prove they're too cool for Bellevue.
Bellevue awfulness is unrelated to my level of coolness.

Stinkles

I love how every time Bellevue comes up everyone rushes to prove they're too cool for Bellevue.

Relax braj, Bellevue has tons going for it in terms of food, shopping and general environment, but it is kinda lame for nightlife and culture. For example, where do good mid tier bands play.

I would totally live in a few parts - I am old and lame and just don't do that nightclub stuff as frequently.

jb1234

Relax braj, Bellevue has tons going for it in terms of food, shopping and general environment, but it is kinda lame for nightlife and culture. For example, where do good mid tier bands play.

I would totally live in a few parts - I am old and lame and just don't do that nightclub stuff as frequently.

I think Bellevue would be nice for retirement. But then, I'd rather just settle for North Seattle.

I need to get up to Seattle soon, I really need to get a feel for the area. I should have enough for a big down payment on a house once my Florida home sells.

Brakke

Banned
Guys I wasn't being derisive. I actually sincerely love when people dump on Bellevue. It is something I too like to do. It's really funny how unstoppable the reflex is.

Stinkles

People do love their cars here.

It was evident this time around that the issue was the transit plan. They were needlessly vague and hopelessly optimistic and voters were frustrated about the actual data being supplied. I voted FOR transit, but I am not surprised people voted against, because the bus company was being an asshole.

dLMN8R

In the doldrums of spring when there's no Fremont Bonfire / Bourbon Abonimable ale to keep me happy, what's a good similar choice?

In the doldrums of spring when there's no Fremont Bonfire / Bourbon Abonimable ale to keep me happy, what's a good similar choice?

They recently started bottling an oak variant of Dark Star with hazlenuts and peppercorn. It's fantastic. Plus, Bonfire is still available at the brewery. 6 packs on clearance.

And I have lots of Bbomb in my garage. ;-)

dLMN8R

They recently started bottling an oak variant of Dark Star with hazlenuts and peppercorn. It's fantastic. Plus, Bonfire is still available at the brewery. 6 packs on clearance.

And I have lots of Bbomb in my garage. ;-)

I'll try it out! Also didn't realize Bonfire was still on sale. Schweet.

Top Bottom