• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

dLMN8R

I gotta say, every time I go to Agua Verde for kayaking I'm more and more impressed by their food.

Seriously. Getting there at 9AM, having one of their incredible homemade biscuits, then going out on the water. One of the most enjoyable things I've done in a long time.

Topping it off with Portage Bay Cafe was the icing on the cake (make a reservation though!)

I gotta say, every time I go to Agua Verde for kayaking I'm more and more impressed by their food.

Seriously. Getting there at 9AM, having one of their incredible homemade biscuits, then going out on the water. One of the most enjoyable things I've done in a long time.

Topping it off with Portage Bay Cafe was the icing on the cake (make a reservation though!)

waiting for portage bay is the worst.

dLMN8R

I've only actually had their breakfast burritos and their homemade biscuits so my experience is limited, it's just that those things are excellent :p

Brakke

Banned
I live near a place, Twice Sold Tales, in like Queen Anne on Mercer, just west of Seattle Center. It's kind of smallish and I've never been in though so I can't really recommend it.

Brakke

Banned
Yo pals. My barber moved away since my last haircut and I'm in desperate need. Anyone recommend a place in Seattle before I go blind somewhere and probably end up with a bad haircut?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
You're over in Queen Anne, Brakke? Honestly, I was pretty happy with the Korean ladies at Hair Concierge on Roy and QE Ave N, if you want something cheap.

Had good and bad cuts at the Cap Hill Rudy's; bad at the Belltown location. Good (but pricey) cuts at Weldon downtown, bad at Squire downtown. Now that I'm in a ltr with a stylist from 7 Salon, it's all about getting $75 cuts for free, hah.

MilkBeard

#notallmen

I usually have such a hard time finding someone good I might just go buzzed for a while.

You know, it's funny....often times I end up getting a haircut that's just not right... I mean, it's just the usual dude haircut, but for some reason the way my hair is, when it grows out a bit it starts to look bad if they didn't use good technique.

I have had pretty good luck at Sport Clips, if you can find one. It's a little bit more than some of the bottom-of-the-barrel haircut prices but you also get a mandatory head shampoo with the cut.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What is going on in Capitol Hill? I have the window open and it's noisier than hell out there.

Genderless Dystopia and drunken Bear riot.

Also, can't tell if Gay culture has been infiltrate by gay hipsters, or if regular hipsters just feel the need to celebrate pride extra hard. Or combination. Anyway, a lot of good looking rail-thin dudes with ridiculous Edwardian beards.

Brakke

Banned
You're over in Queen Anne, Brakke? Honestly, I was pretty happy with the Korean ladies at Hair Concierge on Roy and QE Ave N, if you want something cheap.

Had good and bad cuts at the Cap Hill Rudy's; bad at the Belltown location. Good (but pricey) cuts at Weldon downtown, bad at Squire downtown. Now that I'm in a ltr with a stylist from 7 Salon, it's all about getting $75 cuts for free, hah.

Thanks for the hot tipsz.

I'm only dating stylists from now on, will go gay if that's what it takes.

traveler

Not Wario
I've mentioned it a few times before in here, but I've been searching for jobs in Seattle for a while now. Well, I finally have an in person interview next week. It's the final stage of an interviewing process with a company that I've been fairly impressed with. They're putting me up in Bellevue, and, while I won't have that much time/want to spend the time I have prepping, I will need to eat. I did a quick check of walkable restaurants near the section of Bellevue I'll be in and Din Tai Fung came up several times as a great place so long as you like dumplings. Thinking of giving it a try, but wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendations for the Bellevue Place/Bellevue Square area. Thanks!

dLMN8R

I've mentioned it a few times before in here, but I've been searching for jobs in Seattle for a while now. Well, I finally have an in person interview next week. It's the final stage of an interviewing process with a company that I've been fairly impressed with. They're putting me up in Bellevue, and, while I won't have that much time/want to spend the time I have prepping, I will need to eat. I did a quick check of walkable restaurants near the section of Bellevue I'll be in and Din Tai Fung came up several times as a great place so long as you like dumplings. Thinking of giving it a try, but wanted to see if anyone had any other recommendations for the Bellevue Place/Bellevue Square area. Thanks!

Din Tai Fung is amazing, but either get there early or be prepared to wait for a while.

I have no restaurant recommendations, but congrats.

Black Bottle is pretty nice. It's near the mall.

daniel's broiler is an expensive place with really nice steaks.

If you want pizza, pagliacci is good.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
If you are in the Bellevue area I recommend checking out these places:

Din Tai Fung you covered.
Facing East for Taiwanese food.
XO restaurant for Cantonese food(get the clay pot rice)
Lunchbox Laboratory for hamburgers.

Not sure where you are in Bellevue, but all of those should be walkable from Bellevue square.

Brakke

Banned
Absolutely go to DTF. The trick is that since you're alone you can sit at the bar and the wait won't be bad at all. I've waited two hours to get a table for a party once.

Heard on KUOW this morning that marijuana store licenses issue next week... but there's probably only one store ready to open. Getting closer...

they had a segment two three weeks ago on KUOW (I think, that's the NPR station right?) on the delay. Might be the same segment, something to do with monkeys or being fresh. Demand will definitely outstrip supply, that's for certain.

Phthisis

I went to List for dinner on Saturday before going to see Snowpiercer in Queen Anne. Food was pretty good. Had grilled pheasant.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
List has one of the best happy hours (and all day Sunday and Monday) around - half off everything - but after a couple of visits we noticed that nearly all the food tastes very similar because of how heavy-handed they are with a small range of spices and sauces. Kind of lost its appeal after that.

traveler

Not Wario
Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys!

Hilbert said:
If you are in the Bellevue area I recommend checking out these places:

Din Tai Fung you covered.
Facing East for Taiwanese food.
XO restaurant for Cantonese food(get the clay pot rice)
Lunchbox Laboratory for hamburgers.

Not sure where you are in Bellevue, but all of those should be walkable from Bellevue square.

I had Lunchbox when I passed through Bellevue on a road trip last year and enjoyed it quite a bit. I may be up for trying it again, but, unless I'm feeling a burger that night, I'll probably try to find something new.

Absolutely go to DTF. The trick is that since you're alone you can sit at the bar and the wait won't be bad at all. I've waited two hours to get a table for a party once.

Heard on KUOW this morning that marijuana store licenses issue next week... but there's probably only one store ready to open. Getting closer...

I'll give that a shot. DTF definitely seems like the most popular recommendation, both in the past few responses here and elsewhere, so I can deal with a wait either way. Am I correct in assuming the pork dumplings are the item to try at DTF?

I have no restaurant recommendations, but congrats.

Thank you! I'm still trying to keep my attitude reserved until I can actually secure an offer, but this is definitely the closest yet so the temptation to start looking at apartments, moving fees, and other things I probably shouldn't be looking at is certainly growing.

Best of luck in your continuing job search as well. Hopefully, we can both land offers soon.

Brakke

Banned
I'll give that a shot. DTF definitely seems like the most popular recommendation, both in the past few responses here and elsewhere, so I can deal with a wait either way. Am I correct in assuming the pork dumplings are the item to try at DTF?

The signature thing is the "juicy pork" which have soup in 'em. Definitely get that.

There are also super good pork wontons in spicy sauce. Get something in that spicy sauce and then get some pork buns and then dunks the buns in that sauce and watch while all the waitstaff glare at you for being a dumb white person but it's cool because you're eating the best thing now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The signature thing is the "juicy pork" which have soup in 'em. Definitely get that.

There are also super good pork wontons in spicy sauce. Get something in that spicy sauce and then get some pork buns and then dunks the buns in that sauce and watch while all the waitstaff glare at you for being a dumb white person but it's cool because you're eating the best thing now.

Yes to all this.

I am also fond of stinky tofu at Boiling Point and obviously kukai and Santouka for ramen.

traveler

Not Wario
Oh yeah. I wanted to give Kukai a shot on the road trip, but my brother and I had just eaten at a ramen place in Portland (biwa) so we opted for burgers at Lunchbox instead. I'll see if I can fit it in at night. Going to shoot for DTF for lunch. If the company lets me make a suggestion at lunch the next day, I can fit something else in, but I'll probably just follow their lead if they already have a place in mind.

Jeels

Hello Seattle. So I will hopefully be in Seattle for a week to attend the international. This will be my first time in the city since I was very young. I am a 23 year old male. Any recommendations on things to do?

traveler

Not Wario
Hello Seattle. So I will hopefully be in Seattle for a week to attend the international. This will be my first time in the city since I was very young. I am a 23 year old male. Any recommendations on things to do?

Eat at Paseo's. If you have a car and don't mind taking some time off the tourney or leaving a day early/late, hiking at Mt. Rainier is spectacular. (Skyline is a great day hike) I also enjoyed the Olympics while I was there and hear the North Cascades are pretty amazing. TI is late enough that the snow should have subsided pretty much everywhere. There's loads of local hikes closer to the city, but I'll leave those to the actual locals as I haven't been to them.

If you read back over the last couple of pages, you'll see people asking similar questions, so there's probably some applicable advice there as well.

I hope to be in town for the International too, but it's entirely dependent on how this interview pans out now.

cdyhybrid

1) Eat at Paseo
2) Eat a hot dog with cream cheese

devilhawk

Yo pals. My barber moved away since my last haircut and I'm in desperate need. Anyone recommend a place in Seattle before I go blind somewhere and probably end up with a bad haircut?
I go to Tim's off 15th in Capitol Hill. It's like $20 or so including tip. Never waited more than 5-10 minutes. It isn't a salon, just an old school barber shop.

MilkBeard

How is it that I've been in Seattle for 5 years and I've never heard of Paseo until now? It's on my list for sure. Maybe I'll stop there on my day off this week.

dubc35

I've been to Paseo twice I think; wasn't very impressed to be honest. Maybe I'll give it another shot this summer, it's been a couple years.

dLMN8R

I also wasn't too impressed with Paseo. It was good, sure, but not really worth the wait, and it was too greasy for my liking. We also got a side of their seafood rice thingy and that was just bland as can be.

I absolutely love Fremont Brewing though. By far my favorite brewery in the city.

Hanging out a friend's cabin near Mt. Rainier. Aboalutely killer porch/balcony view of a lake in the middle of nowhere. Good food, good friends, good beer.

Top Bottom