• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Your price range is the most important un-mentioned thing. If you live in the city, you won't need to worry about grocery/shopping/food, etc.

$1,200 a month max. $1,000 more preferable.

If you live outside the city, having a commute of 30 minutes to get into the city will be very difficult.

Good to know. It there anything analogous to the DC Metro?

Please don't move to Seattle with a stated goal of having easy access to fast food. It's an insult I take personally :p

I live near DC. Yes, sometimes I'm down with Oya, Filomenia, or Blues Alley, but occasionally I just want to grab some McD's or Chipolte. And the malls part is because I buy a lot of electronics/games/BluRays and having a Best Buy or the like near helps.

cdyhybrid

I live near DC. Yes, sometimes I'm down with Oya, Filomenia, or Blues Alley, but occasionally I just want to grab some McD's or Chipolte. And the malls part is because I buy a lot of electronics/games/BluRays and having a Best Buy or the like near helps.

Define nearby. Across the street? 10 minute drive?

riotous

Banned
Northgate sounds like what you want.

If it's too expensive you can check out Shoreline or farther north in Lynwood/Mountlake Terrace.

It's about 20 minutes to downtown in light traffic from Shoreline. Rush hour can be a bitch tho.

$1,200 a month max. $1,000 more preferable.

Apartment? House? Might be tough in the city itself. Can't be too picky.

Good to know. It there anything analogous to the DC Metro?

Nope. I mean, we have light rail from the airport to South Seattle and then downtown right now with extensions to Capitol Hill, U District, Roosevelt and Northgate down the line, but it's nothing close to the Metro system in DC.

Define nearby. Across the street? 10 minute drive?

10-15 minute works for me.

Northgate sounds like what you want.

If it's too expensive you can check out Shoreline or farther north in Lynwood/Mountlake Terrace.

It's about 20 minutes to downtown in light traffic from Shoreline. Rush hour can be a bitch tho.

Good to know.

Apartment? House? Might be tough in the city itself. Can't be too picky.

Nope. I mean, we have light rail from the airport to South Seattle and then downtown right now with extensions to Capitol Hill, U District, Roosevelt and Northgate down the line, but it's nothing close to the Metro system in DC.

Apartment. Studio is fine.

Thank you all for your help.

cdyhybrid

10-15 minute works for me.

Good to know.

Apartment. Studio is fine.

Thank you all for your help.

Could try the Greenlake/Greenwood neighborhood. Decently close to downtown and within your desired distance of Northgate Mall. You can do your running around Greenlake. Only thing I don't know of off the top of my head is how much rent typically is.

Rents are crazy right now in Greenlake. I own a house here, but talking to friends and neighbors, it's pretty insane and definitely pro-landlord at the moment.

cdyhybrid

Essex J. Porter ‏@EssexKIRO7 4m

.@Uber_SEA and @lyft win as @SeattleCouncil lifts caps on rideshare companies. Will vote on @Mayor_Ed_Murray plan as early as next week.

I mean, we have light rail from the airport to South Seattle and then downtown right now with extensions to Capitol Hill, U District, Roosevelt and Northgate down the line, but it's nothing close to the Metro system in DC.
Like, what is it, 20 years down the line? Shit, I don't even know if I'll still be alive then.

dLMN8R

Northgate is actually a great suggestion.

I live in the Wallingford neighborhood in Seattle and my wife works around Northgate. Takes her about 20 minutes to get to work.

Northgate itself has a big mall right there, decent bus routes into the city, and should be a lot cheaper. Outside the mall I'm not sure that there's much interesting to do within walking distance, but it shouldn't be too difficult to drive/bus to places which are.

Thornton Place is right there, too. Kukai ramen soon!

Like, what is it, 20 years down the line? Shit, I don't even know if I'll still be alive then.

2021, I think. My daughter will be 9 or 10 when Roosevelt station opens near our house. Crazy.

In other more closer news for my hood, Toronado opens next month!!!!

dubc35

Still difficult to fathom:

• One week until the MLB all star game
  • 3 Mariners on the AL roster with Seager going now
  • Team is 8 games above .500 (not including current 1-0 lead over MIN after 5)
  • Tied for wildcard with LAA

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Has anyone gone to the Showbox Sodo? Just got tickets to see Chvrches there on August 8th. I'm very excited.

riotous

Banned
I've been to a few shows at ShowBox Sodo.

It's a decent venue overall. It's a warehouse style space with what you imagine was an attached office converted into the bar. They then rope off the back-end of the main "Floor" as an over-21 area with cafeteria style tables to sit and drink and listen at. Plus a raised "VIP" area that is pretty slick that you can request.

I usually try to get VIP at both Showboxen. I prefer having a table with a view and a waitress.

Showbox Sodo is less awesome than market, just due to the warehouseness and size,but it's got good sound and they make ridiculously strong long islands, so that's nice.

Akim

Banned
Hi Seattle-Gaf.Anyone here own a small business (less than 20 employees)? I'm taking a business course and I have to do a short interview with a small business owner for an assignment. I would appreciate the help.

mYm|17|

Partner and I finally sold our house in Atlanta and will be moving to Seattle end of July. Decision came down to Portland or Seattle and Seattle seemed to be the one with more job opportunities for the both of us.

Super excited about finally moving back to the West coast.

cdyhybrid

Partner and I finally sold our house in Atlanta and will be moving to Seattle end of July. Decision came down to Portland or Seattle and Seattle seemed to be the one with more job opportunities for the both of us.

Super excited about finally moving back to the West coast.

Niners suck though

We had a better than usual June. I would take (and be happy) with it so far.

Uh, it's been pretty nice so far for a Seattle summer.

What the fuck are you talking about? It's been nice lately.

I migrated up here from Los Angeles so what you all consider "nice" is still bleh for the most part.

I do like how Seattle's weather gods troll us with good weather during the week and then shit on the weekends. After that cloudy 4th and 5th, I was shocked that they threw us a bone and Sunday was good.

Absolutely shocked.

Trouble

Banned
I migrated up here from Los Angeles so what you all consider "nice" is still bleh for the most part.

I do like how Seattle's weather gods troll us with good weather during the week and then shit on the weekends. After that cloudy 4th and 5th, I was shocked that they threw us a bone and Sunday was good.

Absolutely shocked.

The 5th was nice, some random raindrops, but nothing that stuck around. Good cornhole playin' weather for me & friends.

riotous

Banned
My sister who lives in Seattle reminds me daily.

Anybody here play Ultimate? I know it's big in Seattle.

My brother still does I think. He's played on a mixture of really competitive teams and casual teams over the years.

Shouldn't be hard to find a league.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I migrated up here from Los Angeles so what you all consider "nice" is still bleh for the most part..

I lived in LA and our summer >>>> LA's.

Half day of marine layer or burning dry crucible of sunburning terror.

Now don't get me wrong, on balance, LA's weather beats us handily, but not summer.

Now don't get me wrong, on balance, LA's weather beats us handily, but not summer.

I agree, Stinkles. When it is nice out in Seattle, it destroys LA, especially in temps. I hated the Triple digits temps in July in LA.

My gripe is there isn't enough of the great summer days here, consistently.

If the weather here was 20-30% better year round, I would zip my trap.

I guess that since we have 9-10 months of bleh here, I want my summer, uninterrupted. :)

cdyhybrid

It should be around the mid 80s pretty much for the next few weeks.

cux1x3P.png

Ok, stopped reading here.

I am also an LA transplant, coming from the beach cities (aka, the nicest weather in LA), and our weather here is so infinitely better than LA it isn't even close. Even our shitty times of the year. ESPECIALLY our shitty times of the year.

Brakke

Banned
When I lived in Orange County we got evacuated several times over fear of wildfires running roughshod through the scrub.

Plus I absolutely love how green Seattle is. "Emerald City" ain't no joke. I can deal with an overcast summer Saturday now and again.

Holy shit, am I the only native here?

All you Californians...

My Great Grandfather taught math at Ballard high (where, assuming all stays the same, my daughter will go to school in 13 years or so), but my grandpa moved down south to go to Cal Tech and then do engineeringy stuff for one of the companies that JPL worked with. So I look at it as I just returned to the homeland of my people.

riotous

Banned
Was born at Northwest Hospital by Northgate.

Other than a few years living on the east side I've lived most of my 35 years within 10 miles from where I was born lol.

Nice to see other natives representing.

Transplants are totally welcome, but there are times in the city where I talk to people and I'm the only one from here. My wife included. She moved out here from Nebraska for college in 1999 and has no interest in ever going back.

dubc35

I'm from Illinois. I also moved out in 1999 for college and have no interest in returning, lol. The price of housing is appealing but flatlanding is not.

Born and raised in Seattle (Swedish on First Hill). Lived in the north end all my life (Northgate, Lynnwood and currently Shoreline). Oh and I've never been up to the Space Needle.

Phthisis

On the topic of transplants, the governor's office announced that in 2013, 865,000 new people moved to Washington, highest since 2008. I understand the appeal of moving here (I did it myself after all), but I also did it to escape lots of people. I hope WA doesn't become a new CA :-/

On the topic of transplants, the governor's office announced that in 2013, 865,000 new people moved to Washington, highest since 2008. I understand the appeal of moving here (I did it myself after all), but I also did it to escape lots of people. I hope WA doesn't become a new CA :-/

We had a massive influx of Californians in the early 90s. Drove everyone nuts, but we survived.

I also don't work in tech, so I'm on the outside when most people talk about work.

Top Bottom