• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

dLMN8R

SOME ASSHOLE I KNOW decided to schedule his wedding on the 4th so I guess I have to deal with that (and hopefully an open bar) instead of hanging out in the park watching fireworks.

riotous

Banned
Might try to go out for a nice dinner somewhere.. never really tried on the 4th but I figure everyone is BBQ'ing so I might be able to get a reservation late.

The wife wants French food.

Or Pomodoro on Eastlake.

nStruct

Neo Member
I'm getting married on the 4th. I'm the asshole that is ruining the above GAFer's holiday by providing him drinks and a great view of Seattle and Bellevue ;) Sparklers will also be provided.

cdyhybrid

I'm getting married on the 4th. I'm the asshole that is ruining the above GAFer's holiday by providing him drinks and a great view of Seattle and Bellevue ;) Sparklers will also be provided.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just kidding, congrats!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Does anyone know of a place in Kirkland putting on a fireworks show? I was hoping they'd do something on Lake Street over Lake Washington.

traveler

Not Wario
My fourth will be filled with the same thing every other day this week has been- interview preparations and studying. Hopefully, my fourth next year will actually be in Seattle.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Our new place has rooftop access and a solid view, so I was looking forward to the fireworks this time. Got into the elevator today and find a sign taped up that says "ROOFTOP CLOSED FOR REPAIRS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE"

Yeah, great timing, guys.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Our new place has rooftop access and a solid view, so I was looking forward to the fireworks this time. Got into the elevator today and find a sign taped up that says "ROOFTOP CLOSED FOR REPAIRS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE"

Yeah, great timing, guys.

I semll shenanigans. building MAnager or other resident trying to have a rooftop party.

devilhawk

Going to a party on Eastlake. I was told their deck has a legit view of the fireworks.

Had a good time drinking and watching fireworks in Belltown over New Years, so we shall see if this better.

riotous

Banned
Good luck parking. I used to live in Eastlake and having friends over on the 4th meant they had to get there really early.

riotous

Banned
That's fraud considering roof access is part of your agreement to rent, and the view is likely a big part of then rent too.

Ask them what work is being done on the roof.

jb1234

It's been oddly quiet in Capitol HIll thus far. Granted. it's not dark yet and there were a few loud bangs last night.

Edit: Still reasonably quiet as of 10 PM although my buddy up in Mill Creek says it sounds like a war zone up there.

Phthisis

Was at Lake Sammamish, there were fireworks going around the lake non-stop from about 9 until we left close to 11. Just got home to Bellevue, and I hear them going off every couple seconds from around the neighborhood.

I feel like I got flashbanged in my apartment. Some jackass detonated a firework in the alleyway by my window. The bright light and sound of exploding glass scared the shit out of me. My ears aren't ringing anymore, but my right eardrum still stings.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Just be glad some idiot didn't set his apartment on fire and cause the entire building to be evacuated at 2:30 in the morning while three firetrucks come rolling up, which, coincidentally, is what we got to experience a few hours ago. -___-

Just be glad some idiot didn't set his apartment on fire and cause the entire building to be evacuated at 2:30 in the morning while three firetrucks come rolling up, which, coincidentally, is what we got to experience a few hours ago. -___-

8th Avenue? I'm in one of the other buildings there and got woken up by all the fire trucks. I watched it all from my window, didn't see the fire though.

riotous

Banned
I feel like I got flashbanged in my apartment. Some jackass detonated a firework in the alleyway by my window. The bright light and sound of exploding glass scared the shit out of me. My ears aren't ringing anymore, but my right eardrum still stings.

This happened last night at my house up here in the burbs just north of Seattle (Shoreline.)

A flash that rang my wife's ears... and shattered an empty room temperature drinking glass in our kitchen.

Neighborhood was constant rumbles, booms, and flashes for about 2-3 hours between 9:30 and midnight or so.

This happened last night at my house up here in the burbs just north of Seattle (Shoreline.)

A flash that rang my wife's ears... and shattered an empty room temperature drinking glass in our kitchen.

Neighborhood was constant rumbles, booms, and flashes for about 2-3 hours between 9:30 and midnight or so.

It was not me. My dogs were terrified all night.

Hey Seattle GAF, where the fuck is my summer? I was promised when I moved up here 2 years ago that it starts here the day after the 4th...well, today is the day after the 4th.

:mad:

traveler

Not Wario
I'm here! (Well, Bellevue technically, not Seattle) For a day, at least. Just finished the flight in. Great view of Rainier and the Cascades; seems considerably nicer outside than the weather I left behind too.

Now, Din Tai Fung, Facing East, or Kukai before getting back to interview prep.

traveler

Not Wario
The signature thing is the "juicy pork" which have soup in 'em. Definitely get that.

There are also super good pork wontons in spicy sauce. Get something in that spicy sauce and then get some pork buns and then dunks the buns in that sauce and watch while all the waitstaff glare at you for being a dumb white person but it's cool because you're eating the best thing now.

So I just got back and everything went pretty awesome. Walked up in front of a crowd and they said they had a 2 person table available but no parties of 2 somehow so I was seated immediately. Then, the waitress actually recommended exactly what you did here, so I got both and did indeed make a fool of myself mixing everything on the table (and puncturing the first dumpling before it even left the bamboo- didn't realize how easy those things are to break) but, hey, at least it was a) waitstaff sanctioned and b) delicious. Thumbs up on the recommendation.

Phthisis

I'm here! (Well, Bellevue technically, not Seattle) For a day, at least. Just finished the flight in. Great view of Rainier and the Cascades; seems considerably nicer outside than the weather I left behind too.

Now, Din Tai Fung, Facing East, or Kukai before getting back to interview prep.

Which game developer are you interviewing with? :p

99.999% of the time I love the sunny weather.. but when you're sick with a fever and burning like a MOTHER ******** and it's also 2083802380 degrees outside IT DOES NOT HELP!

Great weather except for the fact that I own a brick house. My wife and I don't enjoy going up to our bedroom on these nice days.

At least we have a super cool basement.

Alright Seattle GAF. I may move to the grand state of Washington from the grand district named Washington.

I have a car and would like to be able to get to Seattle proper in 30 minutes or less.
I need a mall or something nearby (fast food, grocery, maybe a Best Buy/GameStop?).
Urban or suburban doesn't particularly matter, but I prefer the latter.
I enjoy running outdoors.

What are decent places to live? What are my choices?

dLMN8R

Your price range is the most important un-mentioned thing. If you live in the city, you won't need to worry about grocery/shopping/food, etc.

If you live outside the city, having a commute of 30 minutes to get into the city will be very difficult.

Please don't move to Seattle with a stated goal of having easy access to fast food. It's an insult I take personally :p

Top Bottom