• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Brakke

Banned
You guys aren't very quick :D

That Drivethrough Boba place in Bellevue is good but the jerks are closed Monday and Tuesday and I always walk by at lunch and think "damn that's a good idea" but then they're closed and I cry.

riotous

Banned
It's pretty much all made from the exact same drink powders they all buy.... Put into the same cups they all buy... With the same straws they all buy...

My bro works for Seattle Schools.. always a little jealous of his summers.

I could never work for Seattle Public Schools. The special education paperwork I get from them is an absolute mess that totally ignores Washington state law. I don't know why they're not sued more.

riotous

Banned
I could never work for Seattle Public Schools. The special education paperwork I get from them is an absolute mess that totally ignores Washington state law. I don't know why they're not sued more.

Interesting. Yeah I hear the reverse end of that;that a combination of State and Federal law/budget changes have made it hard for some special education programs to exist in Seattle.

I don't like you. My apartment has windows facing the sun. And like most of this city, no air conditioning.

I own a brick house. Aside from my daughter's room with the AC unit, the rest of my house is a fucking oven.

fbstHz8.jpg

Sitting on my patio with some buds drinking sour beers right now. Awesome times.

arab

i'm coming to seattle tonight for a week. think i'm going to the sunny day in glasgow show tomorrow. any gaffers wanna meet up and watch the world cup?

We live close to Lake Washington, so at night we just walk down, everyone jumps into the water and then we head to bed nicely cooled off.

Only bad thing for us is that I keep getting up at 5 am because it's basically as bright as midday in our bedroom at that point.

riotous

Banned
I have a few portable A/C's in my house.

I work from home 2-3 days a week though and don't have one in my home office. Just ordered one, lol.

For now camping out working in my bedroom.

Have a blanket covering my cold feetsies.

My only regret of World Cup is not seeking out new bar experiences downtown. Have such a simple routine with Sounders have no idea where else to go for that.

My only regret of World Cup is not seeking out new bar experiences downtown. Have such a simple routine with Sounders have no idea where else to go for that.

If I could, I'd go to Von Trapps on Sunday. My buddy has been going there for the Germany games and said it was pretty great

Holy crap it's muggy out. Grilled burgers and corn on the cob, gonna eat on the patio table with my daughter, and then we get attacked by wasps.

Now sitting on the front porch. This sucks.

I think this is the most disgusting weather I've yet to run into here in Seattle. Feel like Houston *barf*

yep. Reminds me of the good ol' summer days. My stomach sticky with sweat. Shirt basically taped to my back. Try to go for a run, die on the inside. Get back home. Jump in the pool. Go back inside the house, AC blaring and its still hot and sweaty

traveler

Not Wario
I see my GA weather followed me up to Seattle and stuck around after I left. Apologies for that.

My interview went pretty well I feel, but the decision has been complicated a bit so I will not actually know the final decision until sometime this week, as opposed to the day of, like some of their other interviewing processes had implied.

While I hate to go ahead and start looking at relocation logistics and getting my hopes up before actually having the offer in hand, it's probably a good idea to be proactive on this in case my relocation timeline is short. Thinking of coming up again this weekend to coincide with the International and look around the area for apartments/homes at the same time. I chatted with one of my interviewers over lunch and he recommended that I actually look at Issaquah if hiking is my thing and I don't mind a half hour commute or so. Would be cheaper too.

I'm torn, since I like having the amenities of a city immediately nearby, but I'm not exactly the downtown type. I like good bars, breweries, a good set of restaraunts, and a dedicated card shop (if I do get back into Magic and, given the area, why not?) but I also like some quiet, don't really need nightlife- at least not on a weekly basis, and want my car and parking. Staying in the city would be nice if I could find a good compromise between all of these aspects, but I wouldn't be averse to going outside and looking at some place like Issaquah so long as Seattle is an easy few minutes away. Seems like $1400 is about the norm for a one bedroom and, while that's a little more than I was looking to spend, I think I can swing it if the place/location is worth it. (And if there is a really good fit for even a little more than that, I would at least consider it, so that's not the top end of my pricing by any means. Don't see myself paying $2000 a month, though) Thanks for any tips you guys might have on this. I know you get asked for this sort of recommendation all the time, so I'll read back through the thread, although I have a feeling my exact set of preferences may be a little different than is the norm.

Which game developer are you interviewing with? :p

None. My former college adviser did mention I should reach out to an alumnus in the area, though, who's with 343. Adviser thought he was still with another company in the area, but I checked his background and it looks like he's moved on and joined the Halo folks.

All of my programming background is in the consulting industry, not game development, and having never shipped a title nor even fleshed out a small prototype or anything on my own, I don't see that side of the software world working out for me right now. If the right positions popped up, I'd give em a shot, sure, but I'm focusing on companies that I feel I have a better match with at the moment.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
yep. Reminds me of the good ol' summer days. My stomach sticky with sweat. Shirt basically taped to my back. Try to go for a run, die on the inside. Get back home. Jump in the pool. Go back inside the house, AC blaring and its still hot and sweaty

You have a pool?

I see my GA weather followed me up to Seattle and stuck around after I left. Apologies for that.

My interview went pretty well I feel, but the decision has been complicated a bit so I will not actually know the final decision until sometime this week, as opposed to the day of, like some of their other interviewing processes had implied.

While I hate to go ahead and start looking at relocation logistics and getting my hopes up before actually having the offer in hand, it's probably a good idea to be proactive on this in case my relocation timeline is short. Thinking of coming up again this weekend to coincide with the International and look around the area for apartments/homes at the same time. I chatted with one of my interviewers over lunch and he recommended that I actually look at Issaquah if hiking is my thing and I don't mind a half hour commute or so. Would be cheaper too.

I'm torn, since I like having the amenities of a city immediately nearby, but I'm not exactly the downtown type. I like good bars, breweries, a good set of restaraunts, and a dedicated card shop (if I do get back into Magic and, given the area, why not?) but I also like some quiet, don't really need nightlife- at least not on a weekly basis, and want my car and parking. Staying in the city would be nice if I could find a good compromise between all of these aspects, but I wouldn't be averse to going outside and looking at some place like Issaquah so long as Seattle is an easy few minutes away. Thanks for any tips you guys might have on this. I know you get asked for this sort of recommendation all the time, so I'll read back through the thread, although I have a feeling my exact set of preferences may be a little different than is the norm.

None. My former college adviser did mention I should reach out to an alumnus in the area, though, who's with 343. Adviser thought he was still with another company in the area, but I checked his background and it looks like he's moved on and joined the Halo folks.

All of my programming background is in the consulting industry, not game development, and having never shipped a title nor even fleshed out a small prototype or anything on my own, I don't see that side of the software world working out for me right now. If the right positions popped up, I'd give em a shot, sure, but I'm focusing on companies that I feel I have a better match with at the moment.

We have plenty of software elements that aren't shipping game code. Shipping software can be surprisingly similar regardless of product.

traveler

Not Wario
You have a pool?

We have plenty of software elements that aren't shipping game code. Shipping software can be surprisingly similar regardless of product.

Yeah, and if my actual programming background were more substantial, I'd be more inclined to give it a shot. My last consulting gig ended up putting me on production support, though, so I ended up doing more investigation and analysis than actual software writing. (Part of the reason I left, as it seemed like Accenture wasn't going to get me anywhere in terms of software engineering experience or more technology exposure) My skills declined a bit and I had to bring myself back up to speed to where I was in college during the job search over the past few months. While I don't really like selling myself short, I do try to be honest with my current weaknesses and strengths, and my current strengths are definitely more analytical and soft skill oriented in nature, which is the reason I've generally been looking at consulting companies. Do you guys hire programmers fresh out of college or those with equivalent level of code writing skill? (Bachelor's level, not Master's)

I'm torn, since I like having the amenities of a city immediately nearby, but I'm not exactly the downtown type. I like good bars, breweries, a good set of restaraunts, and a dedicated card shop (if I do get back into Magic and, given the area, why not?) but I also like some quiet, don't really need nightlife- at least not on a weekly basis, and want my car and parking. Staying in the city would be nice if I could find a good compromise between all of these aspects, but I wouldn't be averse to going outside and looking at some place like Issaquah so long as Seattle is an easy few minutes away. Seems like $1400 is about the norm for a one bedroom and, while that's a little more than I was looking to spend, I think I can swing it if the place/location is worth it. (And if there is a really good fit for even a little more than that, I would at least consider it, so that's not the top end of my pricing by any means. Don't see myself paying $2000 a month, though) Thanks for any tips you guys might have on this. I know you get asked for this sort of recommendation all the time, so I'll read back through the thread, although I have a feeling my exact set of preferences may be a little different than is the norm.

Given what you are listing out I'd have a bit of a possible recommendation. That would be to list out some of the major bus lines that head out north, south and over to places on the Eastside. Then trying looking for places that are directly on those lines. My family and I are not city-city folk, but we really do like heading in for dinner and activities pretty often. We live directly on the 255 bus line on the Eastside, so getting into the city is just a matter of walking down the street and hopping on the bus. Having a single shot into the city (as opposed to driving to a transit center and busing or having multiple transfers) makes it pretty easy to still get into the city for work / fun.

Top Bottom