• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

traveler

Not Wario
Given what you are listing out I'd have a bit of a possible recommendation. That would be to list out some of the major bus lines that head out north, south and over to places on the Eastside. Then trying looking for places that are directly on those lines. My family and I are not city-city folk, but we really do like heading in for dinner and activities pretty often. We live directly on the 255 bus line on the Eastside, so getting into the city is just a matter of walking down the street and hopping on the bus. Having a single shot into the city (as opposed to driving to a transit center and busing or having multiple transfers) makes it pretty easy to still get into the city for work / fun.

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep the bus lines in mind. It's also worth mentioning that the company potentially giving me an offer is Bellevue based and has a number of major clients on the Eastside, so it might even be more convenient to be outside of downtown Seattle.

That said, I don't want to sound like I'm actively avoiding the more active areas. I'm just looking for a balance. Right now, I've kind of narrowed it down to Lower Queen Anne, Queen Anne proper, Fremont, Ballard, Wallingford, U District, and Greenlake, of the Seattle neighborhoods. Also heavily considering Bellevue and Issaquah.

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep the bus lines in mind. It's also worth mentioning that the company potentially giving me an offer is Bellevue based and has a number of major clients on the Eastside, so it might even be more convenient to be outside of downtown Seattle.

That said, I don't want to sound like I'm actively avoiding the more active areas. I'm just looking for a balance. Right now, I've kind of narrowed it down to Lower Queen Anne, Queen Anne proper, Fremont, Ballard, Wallingford, U District, and Greenlake, of the Seattle neighborhoods. Also heavily considering Bellevue and Issaquah.

Add Greenwood to your list.

Gonna start building a custom-spec shed on the side of my house today. In the heat. I'm smart.

riotous

Banned
Ramen at Northgate is going to be the death of me.

Amazon Fresh delivers Samurai noodle kits and I practically had to cancel my account lol.

J/K but I am glad they require 1.5 days notice or else is be getting fat on Ramen pretty quick.

mYm|17|

How bad is traffic is the morning if I was to be going to Renton from Ballard?

I might be transfering positions at my current company to their Renton office.

dubc35

How bad is traffic is the morning if I was to be going to Renton from Ballard?

I might be transfering positions at my current company to their Renton office.

Depends on the time you're commuting. I used to stay at my wife's place (when we were dating) in Ballard and commute to Renton occasionally. It wasn't bad but that was at like 430/5 am.

mYm|17|

Depends on the time you're commuting. I used to stay at my wife's place (when we were dating) in Ballard and commute to Renton occasionally. It wasn't bad but that was at like 430/5 am.

Probably 7-730ish is when I would be commuting to Renton if I took the transfer

riotous

Banned
You'll be in terrible traffic at that time.

I commute from Shoreline to Eastgate and if I leave after 6:30 my 30 minute drive extends to at least 45 minutes. If I waited until 7 easily an hour or more.

It's even worse coming home which means the earlier you can start work the better.

I'm physically at work from 7am-3pm and still regularly have hour long commutes home. I'd come in earlier and leave earlier but it's not allowed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Any good soba places in Seattle?

Cosigning Distanmantra:

Miyabi makes their own noodles, and is frequented by Japanese hausfraus, so it "must be good" - everything I have had there is delicious. It's sort of posh/casual.

And yes, they have Bukkake.

mYm|17|

You'll be in terrible traffic at that time.

I commute from Shoreline to Eastgate and if I leave after 6:30 my 30 minute drive extends to at least 45 minutes. If I waited until 7 easily an hour or more.

It's even worse coming home which means the earlier you can start work the better.

I'm physically at work from 7am-3pm and still regularly have hour long commutes home. I'd come in earlier and leave earlier but it's not allowed.

Thanks...

I have an interview with a company that is located in downtown off Yesler Way, so I am hoping that it works.

I don't know if I can handle that long commute anymore. I thought Atlanta traffic was bad, but it seems Seattle traffic could be just as worse

Stinkles

Thanks...

I have an interview with a company that is located in downtown off Yesler Way, so I am hoping that it works.

I don't know if I can handle that long commute anymore. I thought Atlanta traffic was bad, but it seems Seattle traffic could be just as worse

Not a chance. Just this one week - the main (and toll free) bridge from east to west is closed for a week to fix the expansion joints. This will funnel all the traffic to already congested routes and is pretty much the worst thing that could happen - but it's only a week. After that traffic goes back to being regular crappy, but not Atlanta/LA crappy.

riotous

Banned
Not a chance. Just this one week - the main (and toll free) bridge from east to west is closed for a week to fix the expansion joints. This will funnel all the traffic to already congested routes and is pretty much the worst thing that could happen - but it's only a week. After that traffic goes back to being regular crappy, but not Atlanta/LA crappy.

You probably haven't experienced the worst commutes then Stinkles.

Seattle regularly tops the worst rush hour list on studies; and while it's improved it's still a top 5 NA city.

Atlanta isn't even on the list. LA is worse but Seattle is in the same league.

Going East and West is particularly bad. Ballard to anywhere on the East Side (or S. of Seattle) can be a nightmare. You deal with traffic into Seattle, and then the traffic out of Seattle. Heading into Renton is particularly bad due to the S-curves and generally shitty back-roads. Then on the way home, you've got traffic into Seattle, and then traffic out of Seattle.

I used to commute from Ballard to Auburn and it was fine, but my route was 99 to I-5 to 167. I think the key "holy fuck" factor that you'll encounter is the nightmare that we call 405.

I currently commute from Greenlake to Auburn, and it's fine. Reverse commute for the win.

LA is worse but Seattle is in the same league.

I lived in LA for like 25 years and this statement cracks me up.

Going East and West is particularly bad. Ballard to anywhere on the East Side (or S. of Seattle) can be a nightmare.

My Ballard to Kirkland commute, on the worst commute day I've had since moving to Ballard was almost as bad as my 8 mile LA commute was on a really light day.

riotous

Banned
I lived in LA for like 25 years and this statement cracks me up.

*shrug*

Tell that to the numerous traffic studies out there.

In various years they've ranked Seattle worse than LA. It's variant on conditions and construction.

Seattle's traffic has improved though. But major construction could see another year of Seattle topping the list.

Outside of rush hour Seattle area isn't bad at all.

riotous

Banned
And our rush hour is actually close to being only an hour long. LA's is like 4ish hours

I am in bumper to bumper traffic at 6:45 AM regularly... that doesn't stop until generally after 9AM.

You have a weird view of Seattle traffic. Did you live here before 520 was a toll bridge?

Regardless of this conversation.. getting to Renton is a huge pain in the ass. Going South to 405 from I-5 sucks.. heading East and then S on 405 sucks.. one of the worst commutes in the country. Google it or something.

I am in bumper to bumper traffic at 6:45 AM regularly... that doesn't stop until generally after 9AM.

You have a weirdview of Seattle traffic. Did you live here before 520 was a toll bridge?

Yeah, thought I wasn't commuting to the east side for terribly long before the toll. Also, I generally go around the lake to the north. Morning commutes (usually leaving 7:30ish) have been generally much better than evening commutes (leaving anywhere between now and 8ish depending on crunch), aside from that time a semi truck hit me.

congrats!

I'm convinced Seattle is completely inept in building roads. The entire city is built upon incredibly shitty engineering. Granted, the environment isn't necessarily suited for construction efforts, but this place has the most mindbogglingly horrible roads I've ever seen.

Brakke

Banned
I'm convinced Seattle is completely inept in building roads. The entire city is built upon incredibly shitty engineering. Granted, the environment isn't necessarily suited for construction efforts, but this place has the most mindbogglingly horrible roads I've ever seen.

Uhh the fact that there's exactly zero level land in the city isn't really something to just hardware off. That's the whole thing.

Stinkles

You probably haven't experienced the worst commutes then Stinkles.

Seattle regularly tops the worst rush hour list on studies; and while it's improved it's still a top 5 NA city.

Atlanta isn't even on the list. LA is worse but Seattle is in the same league.

Going East and West is particularly bad. Ballard to anywhere on the East Side (or S. of Seattle) can be a nightmare. You deal with traffic into Seattle, and then the traffic out of Seattle. Heading into Renton is particularly bad due to the S-curves and generally shitty back-roads. Then on the way home, you've got traffic into Seattle, and then traffic out of Seattle.

I am also including prettiness.

Hey guys, I just moved to your city.

Went to the grocery store, was the only person to not bring their own bag. I'm not in Wisconsin anymore am I.

Are there Seattle-GAF meetups planned anytime soon? I'd like to hang out and meet with what I'm sure are Seattle's finest.

Also if there any recommendations of things I NEED to check out (bars, restaurants, places, events) especially stuff that might not be obvious or well known, please throw them out, although I'm sure just browsing this thread will give me plenty to explore.

cdyhybrid

Went to the grocery store, was the only person to not bring their own bag. I'm not in Wisconsin anymore am I.

Are there Seattle-GAF meetups planned anytime soon? I'd like to hang out and meet with what I'm sure are Seattle's finest.

Also if there any recommendations of things I NEED to check out (bars, restaurants, places, events) especially stuff that might not be obvious or well known, please throw them out, although I'm sure just browsing this thread will give me plenty to explore.

Get a hot dog with cream cheese.

The Bite is going on this weekend if you're looking for something to do.

Top Bottom