• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

I got into the Hawks back during the Bronco-Buster heyday of the 80s.

broncobstr.jpg

traveler

Not Wario
Flying out next week to check out apartments. Ballard seems to be the nicest location for my preferences, but I'm still checking out other places in Wallingford, Queen Anne, and Bellevue. While Issaquah would have been fine for the Bellevue commute and it seemed like it'd work well with for my hiking trips, I think it's just too far from Seattle proper.

Don't guess anyone knows about specific apartments or leasing? This Riverstone Residential Group seems to have pissed just about everyone at every one of their properties off, so I've been looking to other companies. I'll be touring some AMLI places, some AVA places, an Archstone apartment, and Urbana in Ballard, plus whatever else I add to the schedule before Tuesday.

Trouble

Banned
Flying out next week to check out apartments. Ballard seems to be the nicest location for my preferences, but I'm still checking out other places in Wallingford, Queen Anne, and Bellevue. While Issaquah would have been fine for the Bellevue commute and it seemed like it'd work well with for my hiking trips, I think it's just too far from Seattle proper.

Don't guess anyone knows about specific apartments or leasing? This Riverstone Residential Group seems to have pissed just about everyone at every one of their properties off, so I've been looking to other companies. I'll be touring some AMLI places, some AVA places, an Archstone apartment, and Urbana in Ballard, plus whatever else I add to the schedule before Tuesday.

Ballard to Bellevue commute? Shiiiiit.

traveler

Not Wario
Well, here's the thing. The work is client site. So while the company office (and a number of clients) are in Bellevue, the work could just easily be anywhere else in the Seattle metro area. And projects change every 4 - 6 months or so, so even if it is one place, I'm still going to be changing to another area in all likelihood before the 12 month lease is up. Also, for the first few months of the job, I'll be flying out each week, so I'll really be commuting to SeaTac.

How bad are we talking here? My Atlanta commute was an hour each way each day; I just don't want my Seattle commute to be worse than that. And I tend to favor the philosophy of living where I want to live, not where I want to work. I'd rather be walking distance to Paseo's or Card Kingdom or the parks or the beach than walking distance to one client site of several.

Wallingford or U District would be decent compromises, but I just haven't seen specific apartments in those spots that I prefer to the Ballard ones.

Edit: Also, a family friend in the area just sent over an email with some recommendations. One was one I hadn't heard before- renting a houseboat. A quick google search reveals that most of these properties seem to be furnished, expensive, and targeted at vacationers rather than people living in the city- is living in a houseboat actually feasible?

Phthisis

I lease with RRG. They have some nice places, but they're pretty draconian from an administrative perspective. If you can find a good alternative that you like, go with that.

jb1234

How bad are we talking here? My Atlanta commute was an hour each way each day; I just don't want my Seattle commute to be worse than that. And I tend to favor the philosophy of living where I want to live, not where I want to work. I'd rather be walking distance to Paseo's or Card Kingdom or the parks or the beach than walking distance to one client site of several.

From Ballard, you'll have to endure busy surface streets until you can get to I-5. Some of that time can be cut down if you live in Wallingford or the U-District. Whatever you choose, you can shave quite a bit of time off your commute if you take I-520 but it's less busy for a reason. They put a toll on it and during rush hour, it'll cost you $3.50 each way for the privilege. If you take the free I-90 to Bellevue, I'd look at your commute being at least an hour in bumper to bumper traffic, maybe more.

Phthisis

On the plus side, he could get a Good 2 Go pass for the 520 (which could save a nice chunk off the tolls) and write the yearly expense off on his taxes (transport to/from work).

dLMN8R

My commute from Wallingford to Redmond in the morning isn't too bad. Whether I leave around 7:30 or 8:30, I-5 is packed but it doesn't take too long to get to 520, and then 520 usually isn't that bad heading east in the morning.

In the afternoon/night though, it's crazy terrible from 5PM to 7PM.

Trouble

Banned
Edit: Also, a family friend in the area just sent over an email with some recommendations. One was one I hadn't heard before- renting a houseboat. A quick google search reveals that most of these properties seem to be furnished, expensive, and targeted at vacationers rather than people living in the city- is living in a houseboat actually feasible?

Yes, but you will pay a premium price for a tiny place.

As jb1234 mentioned, the biggest problem commute-wise with Ballard is interstate access. You can get downtown from Ballard without much issue, but not the east side. You have to go through congested surface streets before you even get to the highway. I'd guess average of an hour, but some days shit is just locked up and you could be looking at a good bit more.

If you can deal with it, go for it. I know I couldn't, but I'm terribly spoiled at this point. In the past 7 years I've had 3 jobs, all within 2 miles of home. I can walk to my current job in about 20 minutes, or be there in less than 10 using the bus for part of the trip if I time it properly.

Chris R

Just writing to say I had fun Seattle. See you next year (or maybe sooner!!!)

Great trip with only a few negatives overall. Light Rain into downtown with no car worked out so damn well.

traveler

Not Wario
^
Part of the reason I wanted to be near that end of the city. Discovery Park is just south of the Ballard locks right?

Ran my situation by the city-data forum guys and they're pointing me towards Capitol Hill as a good compromise between wanting access to Seatac, wanting access to Bellevue, and living in Seattle proper.

As an aside, man, it's actually pretty hard to find places with AC here. I'm kind of non-negotiable on that, though, so I'll keep on searching.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
^
Part of the reason I wanted to be near that end of the city. Discovery Park is just south of the Ballard locks right?

Ran my situation by the city-data forum guys and they're pointing me towards Capitol Hill as a good compromise between wanting access to Seatac, wanting access to Bellevue, and living in Seattle proper.

As an aside, man, it's actually pretty hard to find places with AC here. I'm kind of non-negotiable on that, though, so I'll keep on searching.

AC isn't really required, there are maybe 2 weeks where you wish you had it.

You sure you can't budge on that?

traveler

Not Wario
AC isn't really required, there are maybe 2 weeks where you wish you had it.

You sure you can't budge on that?

For reference, I use to run my apartment AC around 60. I wear shorts and a t shirt in snow if its only in the 30s. I start to burn up in the upper 70s.

Now, I realize the humidity change alone will help a lot in this, but, despite spending my whole life in the south, I can't stand any kind of heat. I can't sleep if the temperature isn't below 70. I'm a cold weather person at heart.

dLMN8R

Pretty much no places in Seattle have A/C. I've lived in low-end and high-end apartments, been in small/medium/large/expensive/cheap houses too, none of them do.

It's just not necessary. Buy a window unit if you really can't stand it (buy it in the Winter), or just stock up on a bunch of fans.

riotous

Banned
Seattle can actually be pretty damn humid even in the summer months. I realize our ranking as one of the most humid places in the country is also based on temperature (low temperatures help relative humidity stay high) but this isn't NoCal. We get a lot of 50-70% humidity days in the 70's and I for one don't like it.

I depend on AC here because anything above 70 indoors is awful to me. But I just buy portable AC's and gave up long ago on including central AC as a priority in this area.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
For reference, I use to run my apartment AC around 60. I wear shorts and a t shirt in snow if its only in the 30s. I start to burn up in the upper 70s.

Now, I realize the humidity change alone will help a lot in this, but, despite spending my whole life in the south, I can't stand any kind of heat. I can't sleep if the temperature isn't below 70. I'm a cold weather person at heart.

I have a window unit that I bought for the summer that my wife was pregnant. You aren't going to find a house with it built in.

Trouble

Banned
Seattle can actually be pretty damn humid even in the summer months. I realize our ranking as one of the most humid places in the country is also based on temperature (low temperatures help relative humidity stay high) but this isn't NoCal. We get a lot of 50-70% humidity days in the 70's and I for one don't like it.

I depend on AC here because anything above 70 indoors is awful to me. But I just buy portable AC's and gave up long ago on including central AC as a priority in this area.

I'll take it. I moved here from the D.C. area where 60-70% humidity and temperatures in the 90s are normal in the summer.

traveler

Not Wario
Putting aside the AC issue, how would you guys feel about eastern/NE Capitol Hill, Montlake, or Madison Park close to 520, both as neighborhoods and as reasonable commutes to the Eastside? Also looking at Ravenna near I-5, which seems really nice, but once again, lacking in apartments.

riotous

Banned
Putting aside the AC issue, how would you guys feel about eastern/NE Capitol Hill, Montlake, or Madison Park close to 520, both as neighborhoods and as reasonable commutes to the Eastside? Also looking at Ravenna near I-5, which seems really nice, but once again, lacking in apartments.

I lived in Madison Park for a year.

Commute wise it was pretty nice. I worked in downtown Seattle most days but my job sent me to Bellevue at least once a month for a few days here and there. This was pre-toll days and I just had to leave a bit earlier (7AM at the latest).

As far as the neighborhood.. I didn't dislike living there but it's a quiet neighborhood. I felt like I was given a lot of dirty looks for being only 22 at the time.

Have you looked at Eastlake at all? It has a similarly quick route to 520 and is one of the more convenient I5 neighrbohoods in Seattle. I liked living in Eastlake quite a bit better than Madison Park.

There are some older buildings that are kept really nice but have decent rent.

I paid $1100 a month for a 1,100 sq foot well maintained 2 bedroom apartment only a block from Lake Union.. from my deck I could see the lack through the trees and between the million dollar condo's across the street.

2030 Minor Ave. E if you are curious. Minor Ave E has several similar buildings.

Pretty sure rent is higher now, but that was only 5 years ago so not much.

traveler

Not Wario
I actually just made an appointment with eastlake 2851 after noticing the same thing re:I5.

I think the real obstacle I'm running into trying to find the right place that I'm not looking at any rentals outside corporate apartments. This isn't by choice, but just as a byproduct of my approach. I'm not finding any reviews or aggregators or any kind large amount of info on rental homes, just the one off listings. I suppose that's just the nature of the beast.

If I did go eastside, Kirkland or Bellevue?

We bought a portable AC unit/heater for mybdaughter's room. But the rest of our place is just a 1932 brick Tudor that bakes us alive.

Hooray for the daylight basement that I remodeled.

Brakke

Banned
I lived in Madison Park for a summer, crashing with a friend before I came up for real. It's pretty good if you want to be close to fun stuff but not in fun stuff. It's pretty easy to get around, launch yourself into Cap Hill, but there's really nothing going on in the neighborhood yourself... unless you befriend the Russian emissary (??) who lives there. I used to swim laps at that lil beach in the mornings. Exceedingly pleasant.

Phthisis

I actually just made an appointment with eastlake 2851 after noticing the same thing re:I5.

I think the real obstacle I'm running into trying to find the right place that I'm not looking at any rentals outside corporate apartments. This isn't by choice, but just as a byproduct of my approach. I'm not finding any reviews or aggregators or any kind large amount of info on rental homes, just the one off listings. I suppose that's just the nature of the beast.

Bellevue has more going on (downtown, anyway), but I find Kirkland to be more pleasant to be in.

riotous

Banned
One of the more convenient places to live for commuting in the entire area is Factoria in Bellevue.

Has back-road access to downtown Bellevue in about 5 minutes, it's 10 minutes from downtown Seattle.

The distance is short to Sea-Tac too; although absolutely shit to try to get there during rush hour.

It's very suburban but closer to urban areas than other suburbs of Bellevue. And awesome hiking nearby with the foothills.

Trouble

Banned
One of the more convenient places to live for commuting in the entire area is Factoria in Bellevue.

Has back-road access to downtown Bellevue in about 5 minutes, it's 10 minutes and it's 10 minutes to downtown Seattle.

The distance is short to Sea-Tac too; although absolutely shit to try to get there during rush hour.

It's very suburban but closer to urban areas than other suburbs of Bellevue.

Not during rush hour it ain't.

riotous

Banned
Not during rush hour it ain't.

Well sure. But it's generally a pretty decent commute. I lived there for 3 years or so and rarely had traffic problems and I didn't work that early either. Just left around 7:15 or so and was in my parking garage (freeway park) usually 15 minutes later.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

If you can afford downtown marina Kirkland, no brainer. I would totes live there. Especially summer. Most of Kirkland west of the 405 is nice and or boring.

dLMN8R

Ok, what the hell. Do I have birds stuck in my wall or something?

http://1drv.ms/UzpXaN

I live in a 3-story townhouse. The laundry room is on the 2nd floor, and in the ceiling right above it there's a ceiling fan vent. My wife and I just started noticing a chirping noise coming from the fan, which really sounds like birds, but:
  1. It's never stops. Day and night, 24/7, it proceeds
  2. It's constant and happens at a regular rate. Almost as if it's unnatural rather than some living being
  3. It's a brand new house - just finished construction late last year, and have no idea how something like this would've gotten in there
My best guess is that it is a bird nest or something, perhaps on the roof of the house close to the exit of the vent, maybe? I'd go up there to check but it's difficult to get up there.

But while it does sound like birds, it's not *exact*....something almost mechanical about it.

Stinkles

^

Wallingford is easily the best Westside location for commuting. Quick access to 99 and three entrances to the 5 including an express lane. 15 minutes for me in rush hour to downtown Kirkland. And return trip is almost as fast since i get on at the second to last entrance.

Also forget about AC. Buy a Sharp portable unit. Works great and will make your househunt far easier.

mYm|17|

On my way to Seattle from Atlanta, close to halfway being there. Crashing a little west of Sioux Falls and I must say it's been a boring ass road trip to get to this point.

Hauling a 6x12 uhaul trailer behind my truck is the scariest thing ever. The hills are definitely making my truck work hard. Just wanna get to Seattle already :(

dubc35

Ok, what the hell. Do I have birds stuck in my wall or something?

http://1drv.ms/UzpXaN
Are you able to view the vent from the outside? Are the flaps stuck open?

The 24/7 part seems mechanical but the sound sounds like birds...and dead birds/eggs means maggots.

On my way to Seattle from Atlanta, close to halfway being there. Crashing a little west of Sioux Falls and I must say it's been a boring ass road trip to get to this point.

Hauling a 6x12 uhaul trailer behind my truck is the scariest thing ever. The hills are definitely making my truck work hard. Just wanna get to Seattle already :(
You're in for a treat if the hills from GA to SD are giving your truck a workout.

Pro Tip: Don't stop at Wall Drug.

traveler

Not Wario
Wallingford is easily the best Westside location for commuting. Quick access to 99 and three entrances to the 5 including an express lane. 15 minutes for me in rush hour to downtown Kirkland. And return trip is almost as fast since i get on at the second to last entrance.

Also forget about AC. Buy a Sharp portable unit. Works great and will make your househunt far easier.

I've pretty much given up on AC at this point after being told by literally everyone I've asked about it I'm not going to get it. This is probably the solution I'll end up taking.

A coworker lives in Wallingford and recommended the area as well. I checked it out earlier and grabbed an appointment with Cosmopolitan which seems to be right on I-5. (Great for commuting, not so much noise but you can't have everything) Lots of residential properties in there, which I'll just have to drive by and check out from the outside. Seems pretty pleasant.

While they might be a bit further, I'm also looking at eastern Fremont- right next to 99 and the brewery- and Ravenna on the west side of the park near 5. I think Ballard is pretty much out at this point, but all of these areas seem like decent compromises.

This is what I was afraid of. We went ahead and priced out solutions, and just shipping what little furniture I have in a cube or something and driving the car separate seems better at this point. Don't have to worry about driving some unwieldy trailer or truck with terrible mpg and we'll get to drive over the Rockies, through Jackson Hole, and make a trip of it. I think your impressions are sealing the decision for me here, as I have to make pretty much the exact same drive. (Macon area just south of Atlanta to Seattle)

mYm|17|

This is what I was afraid of. We went ahead and priced out solutions, and just shipping what little furniture I have in a cube or something and driving the car separate seems better at this point. Don't have to worry about driving some unwieldy trailer or truck with terrible mpg and we'll get to drive over the Rockies, through Jackson Hole, and make a trip of it. I think your impressions are sealing the decision for me here, as I have to make pretty much the exact same drive. (Macon area just south of Atlanta to Seattle)

Good idea. The mountains are just a killer if you don't have a strong enough vehicle to get it up. My truck barely gets up there, but it got up there.

We are in Bozeman, MT and more than halfway there. Montana is such a nice state, loving the views

jb1234

I've pretty much given up on AC at this point after being told by literally everyone I've asked about it I'm not going to get it. This is probably the solution I'll end up taking.

A coworker lives in Wallingford and recommended the area as well. I checked it out earlier and grabbed an appointment with Cosmopolitan which seems to be right on I-5. (Great for commuting, not so much noise but you can't have everything) Lots of residential properties in there, which I'll just have to drive by and check out from the outside. Seems pretty pleasant.

Wallingford is nice. Just make sure you get a place with a parking space. Street parking in that area is a bitch (as is most of central Seattle).

traveler

Not Wario
Good idea. The mountains are just a killer if you don't have a strong enough vehicle to get it up. My truck barely gets up there, but it got up there.

We are in Bozeman, MT and more than halfway there. Montana is such a nice state, loving the views

Did a roadtrip north to south through there last year and it is very nice. A shame you couldn't pass a bit further south and catch a glimpse of Yellowstone or, even better, the Tetons, or head further north to Whitefish and see Glacier. Montana has some fantastic wilderness. Still, WA ain't too far to get back to it and see it later.

Stinkles

Traveler: Fremont is not a compromise, it's super close and cool in its own right, as is Tangletown.

Perfect day today - rented electric boat for 99$ an hour. Seats 10, has two tables, shade and is easy as hell to drive. Four hours split between ten people is a freakin bargain. Bring a cooler and a picnic. Amazing I never did it before.

traveler

Not Wario
I meant it more in relation to the commute- I love Fremont. A lot of the places I wanted to be near with my Ballard choices are just as close to the Fremont apartments. I just assumed Fremont wouldn't really be that much better commute wise for reach Bellevue than Ballard.

Trouble

Banned
Traveler: Fremont is not a compromise, it's super close and cool in its own right, as is Tangletown.

Perfect day today - rented electric boat for 99$ an hour. Seats 10, has two tables, shade and is easy as hell to drive. Four hours split between ten people is a freakin bargain. Bring a cooler and a picnic. Amazing I never did it before.

I've done the electric boat thing 3 times, all team building events at different jobs. Tis good fun.

Stinkles

I meant it more in relation to the commute- I love Fremont. A lot of the places I wanted to be near with my Ballard choices are just as close to the Fremont apartments. I just assumed Fremont wouldn't really be that much better commute wise for reach Bellevue than Ballard.

depending where in Fremont, you might only be adding five minutes to the Wallingford commute. basically if you can avoid 45th or 50th and head along 35th you're golden.

Top Bottom