• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

traveler

Not Wario
Trying to factor in the cost increase 520 would have on my rent effectively, and I'm coming up with $152 monthly. Every single leasing agent I asked about the bridge said it would be a little over $300 dollars monthly and the coworker I asked about it also gave that range. Am I missing something here?

WSDOT says Good to Go passholders get a range of somewhere between 1.60 and 3.50 each time they cross so long as they have the pass and have it installed correctly. (http://wsdotblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/top-ten-questions-about-sr-520-tolls.html) Assuming worst case of 3.50 each time gives us $7 daily- multiply that by 365(5/7)- which assumes no work from home days and discounts the impact of holidays- and I'm getting $152.08 a month average. Why is the estimate everyone is giving me more than double the absolute worst case calculation I can come up with?

Edit: Whoops, missed the date for one.

Even assuming the new max g2g rate of 3.80, I'm still only seeing $165 monthly.

leroidys

Capitol Hill, maybe? You can take the bus there right now (and it's a straight shot, as I recall) but the train system is being extended up there and when it's finished, you'll be able to take that straight to Pioneer Square.

This year the streetcar from Broadway/John in Cap Hill to the King Street station will start running, too.

I used to live right off the 41 in Northgate, and it's an express bus that goes through the tunnel. Always was able to get downtown in about 20 mins, regardless of traffic.

73 through UDistrict/Eastlake would be similar (it actually also reached my house, but since it went through those areas first took a little longer).

Any of the letter name busses are supposed to be pretty quick and all go through downtown as well, though I am less familiar with them. The D goes along 15th in Ballard/Greenwood. I recently moved to more in fremont/ballard and tend to take the 40/28 though. They aren't express and are going through a super construction heavy area with detours at the moment, so I haven't got a handle on how long they really take (been roughly 30-40 mins for me).

Anyway, I work in Kirkland and couldn't get there via public transportation in under 1 hour 45 mins, so all of those sound pretty good to me :)

Thanks for the input everyone!

dangrib

Hi Seattle-GAF! I'm an Aussie spending 48 hrs with my wife in Seattle from lunchtime tomorrow. We're staying in Capitol Hill. What would you recommend?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hi Seattle-GAF! I'm an Aussie spending 48 hrs with my wife in Seattle from lunchtime tomorrow. We're staying in Capitol Hill. What would you recommend?

Skip the Space Needle and go to Columbia Tower at 5th and Columbia. Their 73rd floor observation deck has better views of the city for a quarter of the price and virtually no tourist congestion.

There's a food truck festival at Cal Anderson park in Cap Hill on Friday, but because of the time you posted, I'm not sure if by "tomorrow" you meant Thursday or Friday.

dLMN8R

Food truck festival should be skipped. Long lines, way too busy, not worth it. Plenty of amazing food in capitol hill without it.

Food truck festival should be skipped. Long lines, way too busy, not worth it. Plenty of amazing food in capitol hill without it.

I had the same problem last year. Everything had long lines and was selling out while people where waiting. If you get there early it might be okay. Don't go on a completely empty stomach.

riotous

Banned
Went to a food truck festival in Interbay once.

Was silly... Huge lines, food was running out, no comfortable place to eat.

Ended up leaving and heading to Freemont. Walk a few extra blocks and you have more variety than the food truck festival in actual restaurants lol.

You'd think the idea would be to be able to sample lots of different food... Which would involve hours of line waiting... Seriously just poorly organized and thought out events IMO.

cdyhybrid

Went to a food truck festival in Fremont a few months(?) back. Line wasn't too bad and didn't run into anything that sold out, but was also threatening to rain (and eventually did).

dubc35

Cool chart in the NY Times. Interactive here for all states.

jdwidmY.png

I'm part of the 3rd most immigrants to the state (IL)

Hey Seattle-GAF, I'm coming to visit for the Unity3D conference next week. Most of my free time will be next weekend (Aug 23-24) and I've got some places I want to check out (mostly in Fremont) like Brouwer's, Bottleworks, Toronado, paseo, joule, Guanaco's, Morsel. A few questions:

1. The conference is in McCaw Hall (just north of the EMP). I'll probably stay around there for dinner for the nights of the conference. Any recommendations down there? I'm planning to check out Ma Kai one of the nights I have some extra time.

2. Anything I'm missing in Fremont or elsewhere? I checked some of the other threads, but I wanted to ask.

3. I have Vivace, Victrola, and Analog listed as places to go for coffee around the hotel and milstead up in Fremont. Any others that I should check out? Any recommendations for a good one to work out of Saturday/Sunday?

4. What is the deal with public transportation. If I am trying to get from downtown to Fremont am I mostly looking at a bus? Is there a way to get back at night, or should I just get a cab if it is late?

cdyhybrid

Hey Seattle-GAF, I'm coming to visit for the Unity3D conference next week. Most of my free time will be next weekend (Aug 23-24) and I've got some places I want to check out (mostly in Fremont) like Brouwer's, Bottleworks, Toronado, paseo, joule, Guanaco's, Morsel. A few questions:

1. The conference is in McCaw Hall (just north of the EMP). I'll probably stay around there for dinner for the nights of the conference. Any recommendations down there? I'm planning to check out Ma Kai one of the nights I have some extra time.

2. Anything I'm missing in Fremont or elsewhere? I checked some of the other threads, but I wanted to ask.

3. I have Vivace, Victrola, and Analog listed as places to go for coffee around the hotel and milstead up in Fremont. Any others that I should check out? Any recommendations for a good one to work out of Saturday/Sunday?

4. What is the deal with public transportation. If I am trying to get from downtown to Fremont am I mostly looking at a bus? Is there a way to get back at night, or should I just get a cab if it is late?

1) I like Blue Water Grill for some good burritos (more of a lunch thing I guess but doesn't have to be). Just up the street is Toulouse Petit (cajun-style food) which has a pretty awesome happy hour.

2) Fremont Brewery is pretty cool to just chill at and have a beer or two. Plus they give you free pretzels.

3) Dunno because I just drink cheap Folgers made in my apartment.

4) Dunno because I drive :p

Brakke

Banned
1. Second Toulouse Petit. Most of the joints in that Queen Anne area north of Seattle Center are at least good. There's a new shellfish joint, Taylor Shellfish, just opened up around there that's quite good.

2. Your Fremont list looks pretty good. Make sure you don't miss that Lenin statue.

3. I brew my own coffee or drink office dreck.

4. It's very easy to catch a bus from Seattle to Fremont, several lines go right up the 99.

If you're coming to the U district for Morsel, stop in at Herkimer Coffre on the Ave. Bonus points if you come on Saturday for the University farmers market.

Zoka Coffee in Tangletown is also worth visiting. Same neighborhood as Burgundian (owned by same people as Brouwers/Bottleworks) and an Elysian brewpub.

You should also have drinks at Westward and visit Reuben's Brews in Ballard. Reuben's has been on fire lately.

I realized I don't have much in the way of seafood places on my list. I'm open to more suggestions for that. Thanks for the recommendations. I've added more to my list.

Brakke

Banned
Westward, Ray's Boathouse (great happy hour and a killer view), Staple and Fancy, Walrus and Carpenter, Whale Wins.

I've been to Walrus and Carpenter, it's great. There'll probably be a wait, but there's a couple places in that building you can get a drink / snack at while you wait. You could also walk up the street to Card Kingdom, dink around in a bigass board game store.

There's also a sushi joint, Shiro's, that's world-class. I haven't been in a long time though, a friend mentioned Shiro himself isn't there any more? Rumors abound.

mYm|17|

Just had lunch at Buddha Ruksa which was pretty good then had the coffee oreo ice cream at Husky deli which was amazing. Both in West Seattle

riotous

Banned
I like how that guy mentioned Beer IQ and then didn't talk at all about beer. Sounds like it'll be a cool place regardless.

riotous

Banned
About to head to Kukai Northgate. Hope it isn't too packed... probably so hungry I won't be able to wait long lol.

edit: Was pretty awesome! Had the Shoyu w/ a seasoned egg and my wife got the vegetable ramen.

Sat next to some people talking about PAX and COSplaying.. GAFers? lol

Phthisis

What are the best hiking places in WA?

So far I've done Twin Falls (pretty, and easy), Bridle Trails (calm and easy), Heybrook Lookout (moderate, but with extremely awesome views; see below), Gold Creek Pond (more of a walk than a hike; pretty, but unimpressive), and Snow Lake (which has been my favorite so far; pics below).

Heybrook Lookout:
1920013_10101269586116105_1582903982_n.jpg

1780182_10101269586485365_675958339_o.jpg

Snow Lake:
10571922_10101431100415155_4283544901975223867_o.jpg

I'd also highly recommend taking a weekend to go hike up in BC. I went to the brand new Sea to Sky gondola near Squamish (about 45 min north of Vancouver) and it was absurdly epic. Took the gondola up, hiked about 6 miles through the basin, took the gondola back down. Views were ridiculous:
10515139_10101440803729635_3453657047562523822_o.jpg

I am currently in talks with a software company in Bellevue for an IT position. How expensive is it to live in your city?

I'm currently a homeowner in Indiana, commuting into Chicago for work. I'm effectively paying ~$800 for 1250 sq. ft. I would imagine I'd expect to pay a lot more for less space in Seattle, as I have read it is one of the most expensive places to live in the USA.

What are your thoughts? Do salaries reflect the higher cost of living? Can I expect to make more than I do in Chicago or relatively the same?

Also, Phthisis, those pictures are gorgeous!

I am currently in talks with a software company in Bellevue for an IT position. How expensive is it to live in your city?

I'm currently a homeowner in Indiana, commuting into Chicago for work. I'm effectively paying ~$800 for 1250 sq. ft. I would imagine I'd expect to pay a lot more for less space in Seattle, as I have read it is one of the most expensive places to live in the USA.

What are your thoughts? Do salaries reflect the higher cost of living? Can I expect to make more than I do in Chicago or relatively the same?

I'm a two-income homeowner in North Seattle (Greenlake neighborhood). We pay $2,500 a month for an 1,850 square foot house. I don't work in the field, but salaries are higher in IT, but I'm not sure if they're enough to offset the difference in real estate.

I'm a two-income homeowner in North Seattle (Greenlake neighborhood). We pay $2,500 a month for an 1,850 square foot house. I don't work in the field, but salaries are higher in IT, but I'm not sure if they're enough to offset the difference in real estate.
What about the renting? Whether it be an apartment or a house, how do those rates stack up?

riotous

Banned
What type of commute are you used to?

There are affordable places to live if you are willing to drive. Indiana being so close to Chicago I'm unsure what you are used to.

What about the renting? Whether it be an apartment or a house, how do those rates stack up?

I haven't rented since 2007, but everything I hear is that Seattle (city proper) is not renter friendly at the moment.

But yeah, if you're used to commuting your money will go a bit further if you look at the suburbs. Some are pricier (Eastside) than others (North, South of Seattle).

cdyhybrid

If you're trying to stay within the city itself (i.e. not in the suburbs), you're probably looking at $900-1200 for a 1bd and $1200-$1600 for a 2bd. Maybe more depending on how nice of a place you're looking for.

Went to analog and had a delicious cold brewed coffee. For dinner, I took the ferry from downtown over to marination ma kai which was excellent. Really enjoyed my first day. I'll probably be near the conference the next few days, but I'm looking forward to checking out some places like Fremont this weekend.

Anyone know of places that serve snoqualmie ice cream downtown? I saw a place on my way to dinner but missed it on the way back.

Blearth

Banned
How bad ill the traffic to Portland be on Sunday the 24th? The Sounders are playing the Timbers and I assume I-5 will be jammed all the way.

Any alternate routes? I'm coming from out of town and don't mind taking the long way. Especially if it's a nicer drive.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
What type of commute are you used to?
90 minute train ride each way. It's something I am doing now, but it's not ideal and not a situation I'd like to replicate.
But yeah, if you're used to commuting your money will go a bit further if you look at the suburbs. Some are pricier (Eastside) than others (North, South of Seattle).
Seattle's transit system is good, right? How much railway does Seattle have? That is the real nice thing about Chicago and its burbs. There's plenty of rails that can bring in people from all over.
If you're trying to stay within the city itself (i.e. not in the suburbs), you're probably looking at $900-1200 for a 1bd and $1200-$1600 for a 2bd. Maybe more depending on how nice of a place you're looking for.
That seems in line with what I have been reading (read: it's expensive!). How are public utilities, in regards to costs?

Top Bottom