• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Brakke

Banned
I have a pal up in Fremont, yeah Fremont and Wallingford are cool, might move myself up that way when my lease runs out.

What a gorgeous fucking day today tho. Ended up eating at Bell Whyte (sp??), pretty new joint at Bell and 2nd. Great spot for a bright day, lots of outdoor seating right by the dog park there, lots of people and pup traffic to smile at. Food's solid, if a few bucks too expensive. A bit more "artisanal" than strictly necessary, but hey: maybe you've heard of Belltown.

Kukai opens today. Got on the VIP list for a 12:45 lunch. Reservations only this weekend and then just show up.

Also, Toronado opens on Monday. :rock

dubc35

Is Tornado the place on 65th & 12th by Whole Foods? I think I saw a sign there and was wondering what it was. What is it? That location, if correct, has been 3-4 different places in the last couple years.

e* is it a Sharknado?

Is Tornado the place on 65th & 12th by Whole Foods? I think I saw a sign there and was wondering what it was. What is it? That location, if correct, has been 3-4 different places in the last couple years.

e* is it a Sharknado?

Toronado is a very famous beer bar from San Francisco. The former manager of Browers bought Mutiny Hall and is making it Toronado Seattle. It's like 5 minutes from my house. Psyched!!!

Brakke

Banned
Toronado is a very famous beer bar from San Francisco. The former manager of Browers bought Mutiny Hall and is making it Toronado Seattle. It's like 5 minutes from my house. Psyched!!!

All of those sound like good things. Except... it's across the street from a high school? Is there anything else up there? Haven't really been in that part of town.

riotous

Banned
All of those sound like good things. Except... it's across the street from a high school? Is there anything else up there? Haven't really been in that part of town.

65th has tons of stuff all along it. 65th and Roosevelt for instance is a major spot with several restaurants within a block or 3 from it
65th and 12th is 2 blocks from the back corner of Roosevelt high school. There are several other bars nearby as well.

dubc35

Roosevelt has quite a few shops, restaurants, bars and it's a couple blocks from Green Lake. distantmantra is the NE Seattle-GAF spokesman so he probably has a better review of the area, lol.

traveler

Not Wario
Back from the scouting trip.

Fremont was hands down my favorite area, although for one reason or another, the apartments in that area aren't working out, which is a shame. I may just be blind renting whatever I can find online now. I walked all over, went to Paseo's again, tried the Brewing company, and went on in to Wallingford to check out Gasworks. It's a good thing it's super walkable too, as when we came back to eat later at night, I couldn't find parking anywhere near where I actually wanted to be.

Wallingford itself was alright, but didn't really have the same walkable destinations that Fremont or even Ballard had. Wasn't a big fan of the eastern part of the area near U-District and I-5, as it felt really congested the entire time I was around and there wasn't anything in the area that really drew my interest in the same way Fremont did.

Speaking of the driving situation, the residential areas were a bit of a shock. 2 lane roads are effectively 1 lane everywhere, since both sides of the road are occupied by parked cars. Had to do a full reverse down a lane because a car wouldn't let me out and there was no way for us to pass. Combine that with crazy hills, 4 way intersections with no traffic lights or even stop signs, and no visibility thanks to said park cars, and I hated driving around some parts of Wallingford more than the crowded interstates. The west side next to Fremont is pretty nice, though.

Went around a bunch of other neighborhoods as well, but they were bit too claustrophobic feeling for me, as I suspected. Eastlake, Downtown, Capitol Hill- I guess I'm just not that much of a city person. Ravenna seemed nice from the brief time I was there and the park was very nice for an inner city park, but it was all homes as far as I could tell, and I wasn't the biggest fan of the neighboring U-District. Did not get a chance to see Madison Park in person.

The Eastside was a, largely pleasant, surprise. Sure, downtown Bellevue was every bit as characterless and sterile as I had envisioned and glimpsed on previous trips, but west Bellevue is actually pretty nice. Tons of nice homes around Clyde Hill and Enatai, some great parks, and beautiful views of the city. The dining in Bellevue seems pretty diverse and high quality as well. (Ate at the old Kukai, not the new one you guys were just talking about, and both my brother and I came away impressed.) Not really walkable, unless you are in the more outdoor mall feeling city center and not the areas I actually liked, but at least there's stuff around and parking isn't a gigantic pain as it was in Seattle. Also, the only unit I saw the entire time that had AC (!!!) was in Bellevue, so it's got that going for it at least.

Downtown Kirkland felt pretty similar to a beach town, although it's not quite the same being on a lake with a city ending your ocean horizon. Both it and Bellevue definitely felt richer than the areas I'm accustomed to living. Did not get to eat there and I don't really know what the dining, night life, and activity scenes are like, if there's even much in the way of those things, but it had a pleasant vibe at least.

Not sure where I'll land at the moment, but it looks like it'll be between a spot in Fremont/west Wallingford, Kirkland, or Bellevue. My hands down favorite apartment of the ones I toured was in Ballard and won't open until mid September, so I'm afraid it's out, despite being the clear choice otherwise from a personal standpoint.

Brakke

Banned
Huh.

the-more-you-know.jpg

riotous

Banned
Kirkland's night life has a bit of a "30-40 year old bachelors and bachellorettes clinging to youth" feel but there's quite a few bars and they do operate as "clubs" on certain nights.

traveler

Not Wario
I should probably mention I'm not really an night life person myself. I like having a go to great spot for drinks, both cocktails and beer, but I don't club or bar hop. Leaving Atlanta, which had Brick Store- my absolute favorite beer place out of all of the places I've been in the entire country- so I'm expecting a downgrade no matter what. It'd just be nice to have a good beer spot and a good cocktail place nearby.

I do want both variety and quality nearby in dining, though. Fortunately, the stuff in Bellevue is pretty easy to get to from Kirkland.

Incredibly clear weather all week. Left a Seattle that had been nothing but sunny only to fly back into rainy Atlanta. Think it did my leasing representatives both good and bad. On the one hand, all of them seemed quite sheepish about the not needing ac when we walked into some of the rooms, blazing hot, but they were all eager to show me the sky decks, which had nothing but incredible views this time of year. And I-5, for all its congestion, at least had a fantastic shot of Rainier going south.

Also, Card Kingdom is amazing.

riotous

Banned
Yeah I don't think there are any amazing beer spots in Kirkland or anything. But shit changes a lot there and I haven't been out in Kirkland in a year or so at night.

I was there for lunch a month or 2 ago and it looked like there were a few new bars.

I'm on 68th and Weedin, on the Greenlake side. Roosevelt has Pies and Pints, Bierstube and Atlantic Crossing. Latona Pub is down 65th and Burgundian is up the hill in Tangletown. I'm also a married dude with a kid, so ymmv.

dubc35

Speaking of the driving situation, the residential areas were a bit of a shock. 2 lane roads are effectively 1 lane everywhere, since both sides of the road are occupied by parked cars. Had to do a full reverse down a lane because a car wouldn't let me out and there was no way for us to pass. Combine that with crazy hills, 4 way intersections with no traffic lights or even stop signs, and no visibility thanks to said park cars, and I hated driving around some parts of Wallingford more than the crowded interstates. The west side next to Fremont is pretty nice, though.
Sadly driving/parking is like that in most neighborhoods.

Glad you had a nice trip, good luck in finding a place!

We have friends who live out on a small little lake deep in Issaquah who we are housesitting for this week. I grew up on the lake and we've totally been enjoying it, swimming with the kids in the early evening, then coming back to the dock later after the kids are in bed to have a beer or two and swim some more. But honestly I've hit the commute a few times now and there is no way that I could ever do this long term. It's worth it for a week or two in the summer as a treat, but going from a 25 min bus ride to a car commute that is 35 min in good traffic, but more like 60-70 anywhere close to rush hour is just not worth it. Also we don't like being so isolated from our friends, sure we've had folks over to visit the water, but 8-9 months out of the year, you can't swim and you end up having to tack on 20 min of driving to get out and visit anyone or have them visit you.

dLMN8R

For anyone who does want to go anywhere in Wallingford, I'd recommend heading toward 45th and Stone Way. There's usually plenty of parking in that area, especially to the West of Stone Way, and then it's just a short 5-10 minute walk from there to most of the good places in Wallingford.

riotous

Banned
Make friends with the workers at Taco Time and you can park there. lol

I knew the owner of the now closed Rain Sushi and she had access to the TT lot. I always at least stopped in there when I hit up Wallingford so I'd just park there.

Brakke

Banned
For anyone who does want to go anywhere in Wallingford, I'd recommend heading toward 45th and Stone Way. There's usually plenty of parking in that area, especially to the West of Stone Way, and then it's just a short 5-10 minute walk from there to most of the good places in Wallingford.

I usually park behind the library right near there. The lots restricted but whatever, who's paying attention to library parking lot after dark.

Phthisis

I should probably mention I'm not really an night life person myself. I like having a go to great spot for drinks, both cocktails and beer, but I don't club or bar hop. Leaving Atlanta, which had Brick Store- my absolute favorite beer place out of all of the places I've been in the entire country- so I'm expecting a downgrade no matter what. It'd just be nice to have a good beer spot and a good cocktail place nearby.

I do want both variety and quality nearby in dining, though. Fortunately, the stuff in Bellevue is pretty easy to get to from Kirkland.

Incredibly clear weather all week. Left a Seattle that had been nothing but sunny only to fly back into rainy Atlanta. Think it did my leasing representatives both good and bad. On the one hand, all of them seemed quite sheepish about the not needing ac when we walked into some of the rooms, blazing hot, but they were all eager to show me the sky decks, which had nothing but incredible views this time of year. And I-5, for all its congestion, at least had a fantastic shot of Rainier going south.

Also, Card Kingdom is amazing.

The best reason to move to Seattle, tbh

coldvein

Banned
hope you're not trying to get laughs

thats the same level of comedy as like .. my mom going through the checkout line at the grocery strore

an item is clearly not ringing up properly

mom: "oh, it must be free!"

Seattle GAF is like all the same age wtf (24 +9 here).

Got a soccer game at Magnuson at 1 today. Glad the weather forecast has calmed down from the 96 degree prediction I saw on Tuesday.

leroidys

Hey SGAF, I just got a job on the south side of pioneer square, and am trying to figure out a good place to live for two people. My budget is pretty flexible, and a convenient commute is a high priority, preferably via public transport. We would also consider roommates. Any suggestions for neighborhoods or nearby cities we should be looking at?

jb1234

I guess by easy I meant more "quick". The train doesn't seem to extend very far and the busses are late and slooow.

Capitol Hill, maybe? You can take the bus there right now (and it's a straight shot, as I recall) but the train system is being extended up there and when it's finished, you'll be able to take that straight to Pioneer Square.

Trouble

Banned
Capitol Hill, maybe? You can take the bus there right now (and it's a straight shot, as I recall) but the train system is being extended up there and when it's finished, you'll be able to take that straight to Pioneer Square.

This year the streetcar from Broadway/John in Cap Hill to the King Street station will start running, too.

I guess by easy I meant more "quick". The train doesn't seem to extend very far and the busses are late and slooow.

I used to live right off the 41 in Northgate, and it's an express bus that goes through the tunnel. Always was able to get downtown in about 20 mins, regardless of traffic.

73 through UDistrict/Eastlake would be similar (it actually also reached my house, but since it went through those areas first took a little longer).

Any of the letter name busses are supposed to be pretty quick and all go through downtown as well, though I am less familiar with them. The D goes along 15th in Ballard/Greenwood. I recently moved to more in fremont/ballard and tend to take the 40/28 though. They aren't express and are going through a super construction heavy area with detours at the moment, so I haven't got a handle on how long they really take (been roughly 30-40 mins for me).

Anyway, I work in Kirkland and couldn't get there via public transportation in under 1 hour 45 mins, so all of those sound pretty good to me :)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Rode the Burke Gilman this weekend.

Swam in the lake at Log Boom park - water was 76 degrees!

On my way back, a giant tree had fallen perfectly across the trail - I rode past that spot 15 minutes earlier.

CRAZY.

Top Bottom