• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Seattle's transit system is good, right? How much railway does Seattle have? That is the real nice thing about Chicago and its burbs. There's plenty of rails that can bring in people from all over.

Not much right now. There's a light rail line from the airport to South Seattle and downtown with more coming North in the next ten years. We also have a train that runs in from Tacoma and Everett, but it's only in the morning and then back out in the evening. You'll more than likely rely on the bus or drive.

If you're trying to stay within the city itself (i.e. not in the suburbs), you're probably looking at $900-1200 for a 1bd and $1200-$1600 for a 2bd. Maybe more depending on how nice of a place you're looking for.

I pay $1500 for a 1 bedroom with no parking included. I looked for cheaper places in March, but I only found badly maintained places or studios for the $1200-1300 price range. I wish I could have found a place for $1000 in the city, believe me I tried looking.

For the same money I could have rented a 2 room place in Kirkland, so I'm not sure about Eastside being more expensive (unless you are only talking about Bellevue).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not much right now. There's a light rail line from the airport to South Seattle and downtown with more coming North in the next ten years. We also have a train that runs in from Tacoma and Everett, but it's only in the morning and then back out in the evening. You'll more than likely rely on the bus or drive.

Don't forget that the new floating bridge will have a bike lane. That's going to be MASSIVE for people generally, but especially cool-ass people who live near the Burke Gilman trail. An electric bike would be an amazing solution for people going to Kirkland, Redmond or Bellevue.

mYm|17|

I pay $1500 for a 1 bedroom with no parking included. I looked for cheaper places in March, but I only found badly maintained places or studios for the $1200-1300 price range. I wish I could have found a place for $1000 in the city, believe me I tried looking.

For the same money I could have rented a 2 room place in Kirkland, so I'm not sure about Eastside being more expensive (unless you are only talking about Bellevue).

Partner and I really wanted to live in Ballard and basically the second place we found while apartment hunting around there was the one we ended up picking.

We can't move in until sept 12 though :(. It's also 1825 a month for a 1/1 not including utilities and parking, but it's off 14th ave and nw market street so it's walkable to a lot of things in ballard and super close to fremont.

How bad ill the traffic to Portland be on Sunday the 24th? The Sounders are playing the Timbers and I assume I-5 will be jammed all the way.

Any alternate routes? I'm coming from out of town and don't mind taking the long way. Especially if it's a nicer drive.

You could always hop the train.

Don't forget that the new floating bridge will have a bike lane. That's going to be MASSIVE for people generally, but especially cool-ass people who live near the Burke Gilman trail. An electric bike would be an amazing solution for people going to Kirkland, Redmond or Bellevue.

Definitely going to be my commute of choice in the summer anyway

Edit: Damn, double replied when I didn't notice we had rolled over to a new page. Scrub level posting, platypotamus, come on man.

Brakke

Banned

Counting down the days to this. Biking the 90 is a pain in the ass and my office is right by the 520.

Ermc_G6

Seattle Gaf, need a bit of transit wisdom here.

My wife is doing a rotation for her school at a clinic in Tacoma. We live in Fremont, and she'll
have to go twice a week during normal business hours ManorCare Health Services-Tacoma.
It isn't really a problem for her to take our car, but it currently only gets 24 miles per gallon, so we are looking at around $200 a month or so just in gas costs.

So my question is, what would be the least painful way to use public transit twice a week? She gets an Orca pass through the University, so fares aren't really an issue. But everything I've seen for where she is going is about a 3 hour ride one way.

Also, has anyone ever done a ride share in the area? What are your experiences with that?

Thanks!

Now in line for paseo. Drinking in Fremont the rest of the afternoon. Debating going to either brouwers or bottleworks next.

Why not both? Sixgill is great, too. Just across from Brouwers.

I went for a seven mile run and then stopped at Toronado before heading home today. Love how close it is to my house.

Why not both? Sixgill is great, too. Just across from Brouwers.

I went for a seven mile run and then stopped at Toronado before heading home today. Love how close it is to my house.
Maybe not both because I might head to westward for dinner. But I still might have time for both. Paseo was amazing. Worth the long wait.

Phthisis

Went to Leavenworth today, floated down the Wenatchee River. Got a brat and a stein of beer at Der Hinterhof. Perfect way to spend the day in this beautiful part of the world.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm moving into my apartment in Kirkland tomorrow, and was wondering what the best value/speed deal is for internet. I'm looking at getting Comcast 50 Mbps for $35 a month for 12 months, and the other providers in the area look to be pretty terrible. I just want to be sure I'm not missing out on some super secret great deal.

riotous

Banned
Don't believe you are missing anything. You generally don't get many options in this entire area; you'll have one cable option, and while you might get multiple DSL options simply because of how those laws work (you can be an ISP and use QWESTS lines due to telecom laws) all the speeds are limited by the wiring anyways. Much of the area is still limited to 10 or even lower megabit DSL.

In my own experience, and in hearing what other people have to say, Comcast is the best "large" provider in the area. You''ll occasionally run into an apartment or condo complex wired to a business oriented ISP though.

mYm|17|

Went to the Swinery for lunch in West Seattle and got their double B&B sandwich. So much pork, but it was amazing.

BvKvWueCEAA9Xf4.jpg

mYm|17|

So much pork fat you mean, there has to be more pork fat than pork meat in that sandwich.

Looks delicious.
the sandwich looks better in person than the pic.

It did have some fat, but not a lot as you would think from bacon and porkbelly. You could definitely taste the bacon as they cut it real thick

Chairhome

So I figure I'd ask/beg one more time. Anyone have a hook up at the Nintendo employee store? I think you have to be a guest of an employee to actually go in/buy stuff. Someone here offered to help before but never returned my PM.

Anyway, I'm excited to be going there this weekend! I hope it's not too crowded with PAX and Bumbershoot on the same weekend.

mYm|17|

So my friend and our old roommate are visitng Seattle for 5 days in a few weeks, one lives in Atlanta and the other in New York.
I haven't been in Seattle that long so I don't know all good spots yet.

Any ideas on what to do/see/eat? They like to drink as well.

dubc35

So my friend and our old roommate are visitng Seattle for 5 days in a few weeks, one lives in Atlanta and the other in New York.

Do you know where you're staying? Will you have a car or using public transpo? (might help others offer suggestions)

We need to update the OP with fodd/attractions by neighborhood.

cdyhybrid

Just go back through the last 10 pages or so, :lol

Do you know where you're staying? Will you have a car or using public transpo? (might help others offer suggestions)

I don't think the OP actually posts here, or is even around anymore, since this was originally a thread by someone asking for suggestions.

mYm|17|

They are staying at the Hyatt in downtown.
They will probably be renting a car to drive around town and such.

Looks like I'm going to be leaving Seattle and the US for the next couple of years so I'm getting rid of stuff I can't take with me. If anyone's needing furniture or apartment stuff in the next two weeks, send me a PM. Sorts of things- like Bed frame, latex queen mattress, sofa, computer desk, portable AC, Kitchen stuff, etc. Save you having to go to Ikea.
You'd have to pickup from my building in Redmond.

Also, if anyone else is in the market for an incredibly low mile 2014 Mazda CX5, make with the PM's.

av2k

I went to Seattle this weekend and it was AMAZING. Visited Public Market Center, had delicious food at the boiling point, visited Bruce Lee's grave, and went to Space Needle. Had a freaking blast and loved the food/scenery.

I plan on moving in with my girlfriend (she works for a consulting company for Microsoft) in the near future. Dose anyone know how the job prospects are over there? I'm currently a Energy and Gas accounting clerk in Houston TX (no college degree) if that helps.

If I do move over there, I would love to hang out with some gaffers as well. :)

Trouble

Banned
I went to Seattle this weekend and it was AMAZING. Visited Public Market Center, had delicious food at the boiling point, visited Bruce Lee's grave, and went to Space Needle. Had a freaking blast and loved the food/scenery.

I plan on moving in with my girlfriend (she works for a consulting company for Microsoft) in the near future. Dose anyone know how the job prospects are over there? I'm currently a Energy and Gas accounting clerk in Houston TX (no college degree) if that helps.

4.0% unemployment rate ATM. You'll be able to find a job.

cdyhybrid

Ah thanks for the heads up.. all the listings I've read required a degree though, maybe I'll go back to school while working so I can land a decent techy job.

Yeah...we're one of the cities with the highest number of college grads in the country.

Sky Chief

Yeah, I was in Seattle for a week last month and was so impressed. I have traveled a lot and lived on four different continents and it is without a doubt one of the best cities I have ever been to. Had such a good fucking time, I think I will be making the move as soon as I can figure out what to do there. I am currently living in Texas as well.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah, I was in Seattle for a week last month and was so impressed. I have traveled a lot and lived on four different continents and it is without a doubt one of the best cities I have ever been to. Had such a good fucking time, I think I will be making the move as soon as I can figure out what to do there. I am currently living in Texas as well.

what do you do now?

mYm|17|

Was at the u-village earlier in the day, passed by Husky Stadium on the way home right when the game started. It looks very nice from the outside

Sky Chief

what do you do now?

I manage business analytics for the United States for a large multinational airline catering company. We have a location in Seattle but I am thinking of a career change or at least industry change. I have a B.S. degree in Economics from a good university.

Top Bottom