• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

jb1234

Yeah, I was in Seattle for a week last month and was so impressed. I have traveled a lot and lived on four different continents and it is without a doubt one of the best cities I have ever been to. Had such a good fucking time, I think I will be making the move as soon as I can figure out what to do there. I am currently living in Texas as well.

You guys might want to visit here during the winter first. Trust me, it's a *very* different city in the summer.

Chris R

You guys might want to visit here during the winter first. Trust me, it's a *very* different city in the summer.

Seattle is on my short list of cities to move to. Lucky for me the winters can't be "worse" than the winters I currently deal with in Alaska :p Visited in July, might visit this winter if Alaskan Air has cheap tickets and I need a vacation.

jb1234

Seattle is on my short list of cities to move to. Lucky for me the winters can't be "worse" than the winters I currently deal with in Alaska :p Visited in July, might visit this winter if Alaskan Air has cheap tickets and I need a vacation.

Yeah, your winters are probably worse. ;) Seattle winters are mostly cool and cloudy, sometimes rainy. And there's always the occasional dusting of snow which shuts the city down. It's just easy to get very burnt out because the sun only really comes out in the latter half of spring and then most of summer.

dLMN8R

I've spent most of my winters in south-east Michigan or Rochester, MN. While I miss the snow when in Seattle, I do not miss the frigid painful cold. And while it does rain a bit, it's not worse because of it than winters elsewhere!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I manage business analytics for the United States for a large multinational airline catering company. We have a location in Seattle but I am thinking of a career change or at least industry change. I have a B.S. degree in Economics from a good university.

You're in demand. Shouldn't have any problems. Healthcare, tech, aviation.

What kind? I had a cabin cruiser for a few years, but moorage is just too damn expensive in Seattle.

Pontoon boat. Basically a mobile swimming and picnic platform.

Joeys_Rattata

Neo Member
Heads up Seattle-gaf. I don't know if anyone else posted this yet, but we might get a northern lights show sometime tonight. Around midnight for best viewing according to accuweather.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/northern_lights_viewing_condit/33834457

650x366_09111550_hd22.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ah yes, going to stay up for this. Might head down to Lake Washington to see if I get a better view.

Brakke

Banned
Was just up on the roof with a beer and a pup, no sign of aurora. Will definitely check back before bed.

I've just been informed that Gasworks is shady at night. Is that true? I was really looking forward to walking over :(

Seems like a good way to get tetanus, accidentally walk into some rust chunk.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Was just out for 15 minutes at what I think is really good spot. Nothing. Gonna try again in a bit.

riotous

Banned
You are at risk of being mugged just about anywhere in Seattle at night. I can't imagine Gasworks is much worse than anywhere else.

Safer than cutting through an alley after a night at a downtown club.

My girlfriend and I just moved to West Seattle (a few blocks from the Alaska Junction) and are very excited to explore and find our way in this (so far) amazing city. My work moved us up here and we are coming most recently from Las Vegas (was there for nearly two years).

I have been lurking in this thread for a while now but wanted to come out and introduce myself to the rest of Seattle-Gaf.

Our big hope is that Seattle for us doesn't turn into another Vegas situation; the people in that city were so content living in their own little worlds that it was tough for us to meet people with like minds. We want to make some friends as we are looking to make this city our home for more than a few years.

We are nearly 30 and love music, beer & wine, food, video games, are liberally minded and are not religious.

Any awesome places we should go/experience? What are the things we cannot miss? Seattle-Gaf - looking forward to some good times!

My girlfriend and I just moved to West Seattle (a few blocks from the Alaska Junction) and are very excited to explore and find our way in this (so far) amazing city. My work moved us up here and we are coming most recently from Las Vegas (was there for nearly two years).

I have been lurking in this thread for a while now but wanted to come out and introduce myself to the rest of Seattle-Gaf.

Our big hope is that Seattle for us doesn't turn into another Vegas situation; the people in that city were so content living in their own little worlds that it was tough for us to meet people with like minds. We want to make some friends as we are looking to make this city our home for more than a few years.

We are nearly 30 and love music, beer & wine, food, video games, are liberally minded and are not religious.

Any awesome places we should go/experience? What are the things we cannot miss? Seattle-Gaf - looking forward to some good times!

You just described Seattle... LMAO.

You just described Seattle... LMAO.

That is what we keep hearing. :)

We're hoping to just fit in pretty seamlessly; just a bit nervous after such a crap experience in Vegas. We had a conversation on our way up here (terrible drive, btw) and we both confessed to being a bit nervous about whether the issues in Vegas were related to the people there or us.

Here is to hoping we aren't the weirdos.

cdyhybrid

Get a hot dog with cream cheese.

jb1234

You definitely fit the Seattle demographic although you should be warned that the people here tend to be insular (at least in my experience).

We're hoping to just fit in pretty seamlessly; just a bit nervous after such a crap experience in Vegas. We had a conversation on our way up here (terrible drive, btw) and we both confessed to being a bit nervous about whether the issues in Vegas were related to the people there or us.

My wife and I lived in Vegas for a few years before we moved up here too. Night and day, for sure. Both our jobs have been full of cool people to hang out with, we've met people through soccer (watching and playing), snowboarding, going to shows, and board games/magic at Card Kingdom or wherever.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Supposedly there is this thing called The Seattle Freeze, where people don't want to make friends with new people.

It's garbage. You might have to put in a little effort to get people into your circle, invite them to lunch, don't wait for someone to invite you. But people here are friendly, and as long as you approach in the correct way, there is no issue.

The Freeze thing is debatable. I'm a born and raised Seattle native, so I don't encounter it myself, but I've heard from transplant friends that they've encountered it in the past.

[shrug]

I'm also probably bad about it. I'm married, have a kid and have a good group of close friends, so I'm not really interested in making more friends. I'm nice to people, but not really looking for new people to hang out with on a regular basis.

The big thing is that you'll say something like "We should grab some Sushi sometime" and then they will say "Yeah, let's do that sometime" and then if you aren't on top of actually making specific plans, there will be no specific plans.

Please tell me this is fake. Please.

http://www.thestranger.com/slog/arc...iders-walk-around-seattle-homes&view=comments

didn't know about the Giant House Spider until last night, when Alison Holcomb—the ACLU lawyer best known for running an initiative that legalized pot last fall—decided to post this photo from inside her bathroom on my Facebook wall

[Click the link if you want to see the pic, but have your NOPE ready]

Holcomb asked for advice about what to do with a creature with a leg span of four or five inches.

The GHS (Tegenaria duellica or T. gigantea) originally lived in Europe, but it "was unwittingly introduced to the Pacific Northwest of North America circa 1900," according to Wikipdedia. The Woodland Park Zoo adds that the fuckers can hustle at an astonishing 1.73 feet per second—making them the fastest spider in the world

If I see President Obama come on the news, and then he's like, "I have just been briefed by top advisers on the situation in Seattle, and unfortunately, it is in the best interest of the United States to nuke Seattle from orbit, just to be sure" I wouldn't even be mad.

I see that exact spider all the time. I had 2 in my garage last week. I have been bitten by one before and it merely caused a welt for a few days, so they don't seem to be dangerous.

I was reading about them in some of my Seattle research and all things lead to them being incredibly harmless creatures.

SeattleGAF I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but the thread is quite large:

The wife and I have been there in August (saw the King's perfect game even!) and we've been wanting to go back and experience the city more when it's not in its gorgeous months. It's a place we liked and could see ourselves moving to because COL is still pretty good relative to where we are (NY Metro area).

So two questions: 1. what time of the year would be a good time to go and experience Seattle's more normal weather? August was gorgeous, but I also know that isn't normal weather year round.

2. What areas around the city are best for finding rental properties that are going to be more homes, than rooms in an apartment building? We got dogs, so getting a yard would be nice. I've seen some decent places around Green Lake Park and the North West Seattle neighborhoods. I was digging the Fremont/Ballard area when I walked around there, but no it's hard to find stuff. I've also heard good things about West Seattle/North Admiral and Kirkland/Bellevue.

dubc35

Wow, F that S! I have someone come out and spray for spiders every year around the house (exterior). However it didn't seem to work all that well this year...but no monsters like that. F me, straight up NOPE!

dLMN8R

I was reading about them in some of my Seattle research and all things lead to them being incredibly harmless creatures.

SeattleGAF I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but the thread is quite large:

The wife and I have been there in August (saw the King's perfect game even!) and we've been wanting to go back and experience the city more when it's not in its gorgeous months. It's a place we liked and could see ourselves moving to because COL is still pretty good relative to where we are (NY Metro area).

So two questions: 1. what time of the year would be a good time to go and experience Seattle's more normal weather? August was gorgeous, but I also know that isn't normal weather year round.

2. What areas around the city are best for finding rental properties that are going to be more homes, than rooms in an apartment building? We got dogs, so getting a yard would be nice. I've seen some decent places around Green Lake Park and the North West Seattle neighborhoods. I was digging the Fremont/Ballard area when I walked around there, but no it's hard to find stuff. I've also heard good things about West Seattle/North Admiral and Kirkland/Bellevue.

Any time during the Winter or Spring you'll see more "normal" weather. Not too cold, probably not raining, but grey and cloudy.

Green Lake is indeed a nice area to find houses with lawns, I'd just look around Zillow and such using your price range and requirements for rentals.

Any time during the Winter or Spring you'll see more "normal" weather. Not too cold, probably not raining, but grey and cloudy.

Green Lake is indeed a nice area to find houses with lawns, I'd just look around Zillow and such using your price range and requirements for rentals.

That's what we're wanting to see. We love the weather in the Bay Area, but even with the fog the sun does come out almost every day. I know Seattle can be mainly gray, but also has tendencies to show some sun on a regular basis through the grayer months.

That's what we're wanting to see. We love the weather in the Bay Area, but even with the fog the sun does come out almost every day. I know Seattle can be mainly gray, but also has tendencies to show some sun on a regular basis through the grayer months.

You can go several days, maybe even a week or two without ever seeing it poke through... but I feel like most days it pops out for at a little bit even in winter. The thing that was harder for me to adjust to (coming from southern USA) was how short the day is in the dead of winter. Like... 8ish to 4ish is about all the daylight you get. Couple that with the gray and it can get to some people. I just flat up walk out of the office to get some vitamin D when I see the sun out during the winter time. I've pulled meetings into a "lets walk and grab coffee or something while we chat since the sun is out".

You can go several days, maybe even a week or two without ever seeing it poke through... but I feel like most days it pops out for at a little bit even in winter. The thing that was harder for me to adjust to (coming from southern USA) was how short the day is in the dead of winter. Like... 8ish to 4ish is about all the daylight you get. Couple that with the gray and it can get to some people. I just flat up walk out of the office to get some vitamin D when I see the sun out during the winter time. I've pulled meetings into a "lets walk and grab coffee or something while we chat since the sun is out".

The winters in the Northeast are kind of the same. Sun rise around 6:30/7, setting by 4:30/5.

Hey Seattle,

Training it up to Seattle from Portland on Friday and staying until Sunday. I'll be staying downtown area and was wondering if anyone had ideas for stuff to do on Saturday that I should knock out without having a car? I've never been to Seattle before but I'm interested in anything really... food, venues, historic sites, parks, etc.

Oh and good places to drink. I'll be getting intoxicated Friday and Saturday night.

Thanks!

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Hey Seattle,

Training it up to Seattle from Portland on Friday and staying until Sunday. I'll be staying downtown area and was wondering if anyone had ideas for stuff to do on Saturday that I should knock out without having a car? I've never been to Seattle before but I'm interested in anything really... food, venues, historic sites, parks, etc.

Oh and good places to drink. I'll be getting intoxicated Friday and Saturday night.

Thanks!

Check out gameworks if you are in the downtown area. And you can drink there!

Hey Seattle,

Thanks!

Staying downtown and no car? You like beer? If so hit up Collins Pub, Pine Box and Stumbling Monk.

My favorite restaurants are in the neighborhoods outside the vicinity of downtown (also since that's where I live), but I really like Quinn's up on Pike (Capitol Hill) for food. Good drinks, too.

The arcade is what I was thinking. My wife and I like to go there sometimes when we have free nights.

Hah, just giving you a hard time. Keep in mind I'm coming from Portland where I've got access to Ground Kontrol, so I'm probably a bit snobby when it comes to arcades now. I used to go to GameWorks back when I lived in Minneapolis though.

I will try one of these hot dogs. Why not?

Also thanks distantmantra!

Anyone else?

Top Bottom